Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littering fine

Options
  • 25-01-2009 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I recently brought 2 big bags of bottles down to my local bottle bank thinking I was doing my bit and when I arrived the bottle bank was full and loads off bottles were left to the side so I thought right I will leave mine here too and they will be picked up when the bin is being emptied, but I was wrong I then got home about 3 days later and there was a fine of €160 for littering which I think is way out of order and from now on im gonna put my bottles in my regular bin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

alannologo wrote: »
    I recently brought 2 big bags of bottles down to my local bottle bank thinking I was doing my bit and when I arrived the bottle bank was full and loads off bottles were left to the side so I thought right I will leave mine here too and they will be picked up when the bin is being emptied, but I was wrong I then got home about 3 days later and there was a fine of €160 for littering which I think is way out of order and from now on im gonna put my bottles in my regular bin.
    Good. If the bottle bank is full, you take them back home with you and try some other time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 alannologo

Good??? you must work for the council, there should of been some leway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Did whoever fined you dust the bottles for fingerprints or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cat&mouse

how did they no it was U.

They took my car reg and i heard it has happened to alot of people its a scam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was it a council worker who took your reg?
    Have they got you on CCTV or photographic evidence?

Maybe ask them to prove it and see what they've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I think that was a mean thing to do. I suppose they got your address from your car registration. If they have the time and energy to go to the trouble of doing that, they could have made the effort to have the bins emptied. It wasn't your fault that they were full. I would complain, if I were you, but I wouldn't put them in your regular bin, as you have to pay for that.

The Raven. wrote: »
    I think that was a mean thing to do. I suppose they got your address from your car registration. If they have the time and energy to go to the trouble of doing that, they could have made the effort to have the bins emptied. It wasn't your fault that they were full. I would complain, if I were you, but I wouldn't put them in your regular bin, as you have to pay for that.

Sod that. Its littering full-stop and the original poster was apparently caught.
    People don't get off speeding fines just because someone else on the road was also speeding.

I called them up and explained the situation and they said "ok well use that as your defence in court" so i am just gonna pay it but i think its a disgrace and in now way a good advertisment for being eco friendly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

isn't it a pitty that people in this situation cant issue the council with a fine for not having the bottle banks emptied?

its shameful alright and i have sympathy for the op,
    but it shouldnt disuade you from continuing to recycle.
    you're not going to hurt the council by chucking glass in the regular bin!
    Thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement

yeah your right and the funny thing is it was my roommates birthday yesterday and after a party i have about 100 bottle in my kitchen that will need to be dropped down so im gonna check there is space 1st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

typical of the moronic attitude of local authoritys , come down hard on decents skins who make a genuine effort yet behave like a toothless tiger when it comes to the real litter bugs , why were the damm bottle banks overflowing anyhow , whoever fined you most likely needed a sacraficial lamb to show their boss they were doing something , the op was an easy target and public servants like the local authority love those , its revenue at the end of the day , doesnt matter where it comes from

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sod that. Its littering full-stop and the original poster was apparently caught.
    People don't get off speeding fines just because someone else on the road was also speeding.

You have to admit though that pedantic law enforcement just creates badwill with the public , the speedies are happy to sit on their arses all day on the Stillorgan dual carriage way issuing fines on probably one of the safest stretches of road on the country yet I have never seen them near schools or where pedestrains are at risk.
    And here we have a council that wont provide a service properly, christ if they have cameras and can see the bin is full, why isnt it emptied.
    Chances are the stuff gets mixed together at a later date or is sent to China to be burnt. The Op is probably correct if he just dumps everything in the one bin.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

I think this sort of behaviour by the council is disgraceful. Certainly not the type of thing I would expect someone to be fined for. If I went to the trouble of packing my car with any recyclables and driving to to the bottle bank, I think I would have done the same as the OP if the banks were full.

As you say, it is this sort of thing that creates bad feeling among the general public. When I hear this sort of thing, I feel that the councils are just trying anything to make money these days. Recently Galway county council went out of their way to clamp students doing exams in the city center (Rant for another day). :mad:

Anyway, it really grinds my gears!! If I were you OP, I would at least write a letter of complaint to the county council or send a letter to a local politician.

That’s a pretty bad analogy. If someone is speeding on the roads, it doesn’t cause others to do likewise.

The Co. Council was at fault for not emptying the bins, which prevented everybody from putting in their glass items. The OP and others did what they thought was the next best thing under the circumstances, by leaving the bottles next to the bin. Yes, strictly speaking, normally this would be regarded as littering, but in this situation a fine of €160 is totally out of proportion. If the council are at fault, then I don’t think they have a right to issue any fine.
    friendface wrote: »
    Anyway, it really grinds my gears!! If I were you OP, I would at least write a letter of complaint to the county council or send a letter to a local politician.

I agree. I would do that. I would also try to find out if the council are entitled to fine people if they are at fault. I somehow doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Good??? you must work for the council, there should of been some leway
    No I don't work for the council, what you did was littering, full stop, end of story. If you were walking along the street and the litter bin was full, would you feel justified in throwing your rubbish on the ground? Plus most of the recycling bin areas I've seen have prominent signs warning you of the fact that you're not allowed to litter, and in many cases warning you of the fact that there's CCTV there to catch the perpetrators. And contrary to many posters here, I feel that if we as a country did a bit less moaning about what are in essence quite reasonable anti-littering laws and just obeyed them, the place would be much less of a mess than it is.

That’s a pretty bad analogy. If someone is speeding on the roads, it doesn’t cause others to do likewise
    Seeing a pile of empty bottles beside a bottle bank shouldn't make it 'logical' to do the same either.
    The Co. Council was at fault for not emptying the bins, which prevented everybody from putting in their glass items. The OP and others did what they thought was the next best thing under the circumstances, by leaving the bottles next to the bin. Yes, strictly speaking, normally this would be regarded as littering, but in this situation a fine of €160 is totally out of proportion. If the council are at fault, then I don’t think they have a right to issue any fine
    Littering is littering. Seeking another bottle bank instead of 'out of sight, out of mind' would have also been applicable here.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If I go to the nearest bottle bank and find it full, I continue on to another one. If I can't find one that isn't full, I'll bring the bottles home and try again later.

There's no excuse for littering, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Good enough for you.

I hate the site of bottles just left at the side of the recycle bin.

If we were doing your bit you would have returned another time or gone to a different bottle bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Alun wrote: »
    No I don't work for the council, what you did was littering, full stop, end of story. If you were walking along the street and the litter bin was full, would you feel justified in throwing your rubbish on the ground? Plus most of the recycling bin areas I've seen have prominent signs warning you of the fact that you're not allowed to litter, and in many cases warning you of the fact that there's CCTV there to catch the perpetrators. And contrary to many posters here, I feel that if we as a country did a bit less moaning about what are in essence quite reasonable anti-littering laws and just obeyed them, the place would be much less of a mess than it is.

It isn't really the same thing though. Throwing your rubbish on the ground when the litter bin is full wouldn't compare to leaving you recyclables next to a bottle bank, provided they were carefully packaged and left so they wouldn't be blown around. I do believe that some of the fines imposed by the council are simply extortion. I would say for a first offense, a warning would suffice. Slapping the OP with a €160 fine is a bit OTT.

It wouldn't have been necessary for the OP to leave his bottles there had the council emptied the bottle banks regularly and not allowed them to reach an overflowing level. I think it might have something to do with recycling costs going up recently. Wasn't there a case a few weeks ago where one of the bin companies stopped picking up recycling bins because they couldn't afford to recycle them. I vaguely remember hearing on the radio that a lot of the recyclables were just being exported and incinerated instead.

If the bottle banks are not being emptied regularly then I think a complaint should be made to the council. Why encourage people to recycle when the recycling service available is appalling. Some posters suggested that the OP go find another recycling center. This isn't an option in most rural areas where there is just one recycling center for miles.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It wouldn't have been necessary for the OP to leave his bottles there had the council emptied the bottle banks regularly and not allowed them to reach an overflowing level.
    It wasn't necessary for the OP to leave them there. He had the choice to bring them home, but chose to leave them there illegally.
    If the bottle banks are not being emptied regularly then I think a complaint should be made to the council.
    Sure. 100% agree. But it still doesn't excuse littering.
    Some posters suggested that the OP go find another recycling center. This isn't an option in most rural areas where there is just one recycling center for miles.
    So bring them home and try again another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yeah, that's illegal dumping alright. I'm amazed at the number of people who go "oh well someone else has done it so I can too!!!"

Also, these thing are emptied by a large grabber on a truck. Can you imagine being the driver who pulls up and sees hundreds of black sacks surrounding the bottle banks?
    You think he should just roll up his sleeves, get out and clean up after you? He should go through all the smelly, wet, rotten black sacks and sodden cardboard boxes? For you?
    im gonna put my bottles in my regular bin.
    And...you think the council will
    a.) Find out about this
    b.) be dissappointed or something?

Plus if they hear clinking bottles, they won't empty your bin.

I would have brought the bottles home myself rather than leave them there. The point I was making was that I could understand how someone might assume that the council would do their bit, by emptying the bins, as they are supposed to, or else deal with the consequences by removing the bottles left in bags beside them, sooner rather than later when the situation gets out of hand.

I still think the fines are wrong in this situation. Yes, ‘litter is litter’, but I don’t see the council fining young litterlouts, who party outdoors day and night, leaving local residents to clean up the filth they leave after them. The overflowing bottle banks are an easier option for them.

It wouldn't have been necessary for the OP to leave his bottles there had the council emptied the bottle banks regularly and not allowed them to reach an overflowing level

Lets just say that you were eating some hot food or a roll and its wrapped in foil and/or paper. You finish eating it and go to dump it in a garbage bin. However the garbage bin is stuffed from the night before.
    What do you do with the trash you have in your hand? Do you leave it on the ground beside the bin
    OR
    do you take it with you to dump in another bin elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

from now on im gonna put my bottles in my regular bin.

Yeah, that'll show them!

OP, you were wrong and you were caught and punished. I really wish more were. My local bottle bank has boxes and bags of bottles left beside it even if it's not full. It also has empty boxes left around it when people have deposited their bottles.

It is harsh on you, but putting bottles in the bottle bank means just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When your wheely bin is full do you just sling any more rubbish on the ground beside it?

QUOTE=irish_bob;58750832]typical of the moronic attitude of local authoritys , come down hard on decents skins who make a genuine effort yet behave like a toothless tiger when it comes to the real litter bugs , why were the damm bottle banks overflowing anyhow , whoever fined you most likely needed a sacraficial lamb to show their boss they were doing something , the op was an easy target and public servants like the local authority love those , its revenue at the end of the day , doesnt matter where it comes from[/QUOTE]

Whos going to pick the bottles up and put them in the empty bottle bank? The guy is paid to turn up, hook the bottle bank up to the arm on the truck, empty it and put it back. Not walk around picking up disgarded bottles around the area.

Lets just say that you were eating some hot food or a roll and its wrapped in foil and/or paper. You finish eating it and go to dump it in a garbage bin. However the garbage bin is stuffed from the night before.
    What do you do with the trash you have in your hand? Do you leave it on the ground beside the bin
    OR
    do you take it with you to dump in another bin elsewhere?

Another bad analogy :rolleyes:!! There are usually lots of garbage bins around to cater for foil or paper, plus it is easier to take it home and put it in one’s regular bin, without fear of it being refused by the bin men. Of course it shouldn’t be left on the ground to blow all over the place. Nobody is suggesting that here.

Another bad analogy :rolleyes:!! There are usually lots of garbage bins around to cater for foil or paper, plus it is easier to take it home and put it in one’s regular bin, without fear of it being refused by the bin men. Of course it shouldn’t be left on the ground to blow all over the place. Nobody is suggesting that here.

What a limp excuse lol
    Its garbage. Regardless of it bloody well being waste bottles, paper or a crap-filled diaper. If no room in the recepticle, don't leave it on the ground.

Stekelly wrote: »
    When your wheely bin is full do you just sling any more rubbish on the ground beside it?
    Unfortunately a lot of people do just that. There should be a fine for your wheelie bins not being closed shut. With the penalty being made to look after and feed the rats that you attract when doing so. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Got caught out with one of those fines myself, there's nothing you can do about it.
    It has to be paid, simple as that.
    No point in complaining to the staff because they couldn't give a monkeys what the public think. I got the "ok see you in court so" answer.
    I think the size of the fine is disproportionate but there was nothing I could do but piss and moan about it. End of story.
    A hard lesson learned.

Advertisement