Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carragher: "I've always respected United"

• 25-01-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

There's a really good interview with Jamie Carragher in The Guardian which I didn't see mentioned. It makes for a pretty fascinating read. I liked his comments on United...
    Liverpool have won all the cups since 1990 but no league championship. Sir Alex Ferguson's suggestion that they would "get nervous" if they maintained their current elevated position was an arrow fired at Liverpool's craving for a first Premier League crown.

"Will we get nervous? I haven't got a clue," Carragher says disarmingly. "I'm not going to put an act on and say no, because I've never been there. It's only January. It's embarrassing, really, that I've only been in this position once, with Gérard Houllier [in 2002, when Liverpool finished second]. I'd be made up if every league game mattered. Even being involved in the mind games is a good thing. We've always been on the outside looking in, something we're not proud of.

"I was an Evertonian as a kid, but I've never hated Man United. I've always had respect for them. They're a proper club, like us, and they should have respect for us as well. Man United aren't blasé or big-headed. I think Chelsea are, or have been in the past, a little bit. At Man United, there isn't a player who you think: 'God, I ****ing hate him.' They're all good lads, aren't they? Hopefully we come across like that. We're clubs from working-class areas."

On England fans:
    "I got a bit of criticism for criticising the fans. But about a month later everyone criticised them for booing Ashley Cole. I think I was just the first one to say it. I was just asking: 'What is going on here?' Booing Owen Hargreaves or Peter Crouch on to the pitch, not off it. On to the pitch. I just think it's all club rivalries. With the small clubs maybe it's their chance to go to Europe and say: 'These bastards we're watching on Match of the Day are on a hundred grand a week, we're going to show them.' What happened to Steve McClaren in Andorra, we can't have that. Having said that, in tournaments England fans were the best.

He gives his thoughts on the Kaka bid, his favourite Liverpool side and some other stuff. Worth checking out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jan/24/jamie-carragher-interview-paul-hayward

So what do we think about his views on United? I think he's spot on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

He doesnt personally despise United as, being from Liverpool, growing up he never had to associate on a daily basis with Man Utd fans.

Unlike commited Irish ABUs like myself whos hatred is fanned by listening to their guff daily from about the age of 8 upwards :pac: ;)

Id agree though that I cant think of a player on any team I personally hate.

Even Ashley Cole. Hating him for doing what a zillion other players before him did is bandwagonism if you arent an Arsenal fan tbh.

Advertisement