Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

sweetthing wrote: »
    Cheers virmilitaris and cloneslad, was wondering how necessary the jabs would be alright. Was in Sri Lanka twice and never got any for that and was okay. Have either of you heard of cases where someone went over without getting vaccinated and caught something?

I don't.

Korea does have Mosquitoes but they don't carry malaria (except, apparently for areas around the DMZ).

The only things you are likely to catch would be diseases spread through blood contact such as hepatitis. I don't have any Hep jabs but when I did my medical they were shocked when they noticed that I hadn't got them as apparently it's common for Koreans to get them.

I will be getting them done soon, as well as rabies, tetanis, yellow fever and everything else you can imagine. I'm heading around S.E Asia and India at the end of my contract so I will need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I've just been offered a job on Jeju island. Not sure if it's the city or not but it's with ILS and google seems to show it's in the city. Anybody have any experience with them or the island of Jeju itself. How easy it is to get around, how much there is to do there etc?

Brimmy wrote: »
    I've just been offered a job on Jeju island. Not sure if it's the city or not but it's with ILS and google seems to show it's in the city. Anybody have any experience with them or the island of Jeju itself. How easy it is to get around, how much there is to do there etc?

It's not the job that was offered to Limerick joe a couople of weeks ago is it? He posted about it a few pages back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I have been there on Holidays. It's nice and has some good beaches.
    But I'm not sure about how much there is to do.

Getting around seemed difficult, but we were only there for a few days so didn't have lots of time to explore using the buses.

cloneslad wrote: »
    It's not the job that was offered to Limerick joe a couople of weeks ago is it? He posted about it a few pages back.

It doesn't seem like it. That was with EE Academy, this is with ILS. The pay is 2.1m, is that a bit low or standard for the region does anyone know? I have a bachelors in English and I just need to be conferred for my masters (also in English) but have all the grades back for that as well as an ACELS CELTA.
    ARGINITE wrote: »
    I have been there on Holidays. It's nice and has some good beaches.
    But I'm not sure about how much there is to do.

Getting around seemed difficult, but we were only there for a few days so didn't have lots of time to explore using the buses.

Yeah the buses finish at 9.30 and I don't drive which seems like it might be awkward however the accomodation they are offering is supposedly a one minute walk from the school and apparently I can cover the island in a taxi for 30,000 won which doesn't seem too bad.

A masters in English as well as your other qualifications should allow you to get a really good job once you are out here.

If you wanted to stay for a 2nd / 3rd year you could get a good uni job, it would be better for you to be based on the mainland though as you would be able to make it to interviews quite easily.

You would be able to get around jeju quite easily on a scooter. You don't need a license to use one either, just keep under 125cc and you on't need tax or insurance to cover you.

If you tried a public school you could get better than 2.1 with your qualifications, expecially if you went out of the big cities, even just an hour outside of them.

A masters in English as well as your other qualifications should allow you to get a really good job once you are out here.

Yeah the problem is the paying for flights all the way over then housing myself up in accomodation till I find one etc would be way too expensive for me. That's why I'm applying for the ones that will pay/return the airfare for me.
    If you wanted to stay for a 2nd / 3rd year you could get a good uni job, it would be better for you to be based on the mainland though as you would be able to make it to interviews quite easily.

I say now I only want to go for the year and come back next year for a PhD but I have every feeling I'll probably end up loving it over there and staying for a while. Still don't want to tie myself into a long contract on the first chance though.
    You would be able to get around jeju quite easily on a scooter. You don't need a license to use one either, just keep under 125cc and you on't need tax or insurance to cover you.

Well that's handy... dangerous, but certainly handy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Barra Lumiere

Hey folks,

I've been following this thread for a while.
    I just want to say thanks to everyone for contributing!
    It's a really useful resource for those of us who are a little in the dark about what the entire experience entails...

I've decided to apply for a position in South Korea as soon as my masters is finished (3 weeks and counting!)

Hopefully i'll get a few offers in the coming weeks... i'll be back on here looking for advice if I do! :)

Cheers!

• Hey guys. I have some experience of private schools in Korea but have been given conflicting information about university teaching. I'm toying with the idea of going over for a year (probably won't, but it's a possibility). Would I have any chance at all of getting a decent university position? I have a BA, a Master's and a CELT certificate. I've been teaching English for years, but didn't get around to doing the CELT until the summer of 2008. I did about 4 months full time teaching in Ireland, 6 months on the continent and then another 3-4 months part time. I'm currently teaching 2 hours a week on a volunteer basis as I have a full time job in a different field. I hold a UK passport. Would I have any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Hey guys. I have some experience of private schools in Korea but have been given conflicting information about university teaching. I'm toying with the idea of going over for a year (probably won't, but it's a possibility). Would I have any chance at all of getting a decent university position? I have a BA, a Master's and a CELT certificate. I've been teaching English for years, but didn't get around to doing the CELT until the summer of 2008. I did about 4 months full time teaching in Ireland, 6 months on the continent and then another 3-4 months part time. I'm currently teaching 2 hours a week on a volunteer basis as I have a full time job in a different field. I hold a UK passport. Would I have any chance?

Definitely, you would have a chance. The way a lot of universities are hiring you need to have a MA and some experience and it looks like you have both. However, unless you have an excellent resume most universities will not hire you from abroad and much prefer to interview face-to-face.

It is the hiring season now for universities in Korea for job beginning in March next year. I would get some resumes out and see how it goes. But they might require you to come here for the interview. They might be flexible but that is rare it seems. Then again you never know.

Hey folks,

I've been following this thread for a while.
    I just want to say thanks to everyone for contributing!
    It's a really useful resource for those of us who are a little in the dark about what the entire experience entails...

I've decided to apply for a position in South Korea as soon as my masters is finished (3 weeks and counting!)

Hopefully i'll get a few offers in the coming weeks... i'll be back on here looking for advice if I do! :)

Cheers!

More importantly when will you receive your MA diploma? Employers and recruiters will only care about this.

Definitely start looking around for jobs anyway. With a MA you should get a decent job even without teaching experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Hey guys,

Gotta say a major thanks to all the posters here, this thread is so informative and useful.

Anyways I've been tipping away at trying to get to South Korea the last few weeks. There is two of us going and hopeful to get the same school or close by.

Just had an interview with this the Seoul English Village Pungnap Campus

Its basically a village with an immersion school set up for learning the language through a native speaking environment. It is run by Herald media.
    Offer is

--Shifts: Day 9am-6pm, Night: 12pm-9pm. (Night shift consists of fun games and activities for the student's enjoyment; these include but are not limited to X-box, Karaoke, Movies, Jeopardy, Talent Show, and Sing-along).
    -Salary is 2.1 million won per month
    -Many overtime possibilities available.
    -Return Airfare provided -Free accommodation and utilities (including satellite TV in your room)
    -3 Free meals a day provided by the school, whilst school is in session.
    -Bonus one month's salary at completion of contract.
    -Half medical insurance paid for.
    -Half national pension contributions paid for.
    -15 days paid vacation..

Seems really good. You get your accommodation in the village so no major commute. Located very close to the 1988 Seoul Olympic stadium. She said might have to work in another campus but ill research that when she gets back to me at the moment this is the one I'm looking at. She said 7 45 minute classes a day.
    One negative thing she said was things been changed at the last minute but that seems the norm judging by some of the other posts.

Have found a thread on Daves esl on it but wondering does anyone here have any info.

Any advice guys? anyone hear of this chain of schools?

Thanks

One negative thing she said was things been changed at the last minute but that seems the norm judging by some of the other posts.

Ya it's the norm in Korea.

Hey guys,

Gotta say a major thanks to all the posters here, this thread is so informative and useful.

Anyways I've been tipping away at trying to get to South Korea the last few weeks. There is two of us going and hopeful to get the same school or close by.

Just had an interview with this the Seoul English Village Pungnap Campus

Its basically a village with an immersion school set up for learning the language through a native speaking environment. It is run by Herald media.

Seems really good. You get your accommodation in the village so no major commute. Located very close to the 1988 Seoul Olympic stadium. She said might have to work in another campus but ill research that when she gets back to me at the moment this is the one I'm looking at. She said 7 45 minute classes a day.

Have found a thread on Daves esl on it but wondering does anyone here have any info.

Any advice guys? anyone hear of this chain of schools?

Thanks

Don't know anything about the school. The hours seem kinda long though but if you think they're okay then they're okay.

The olympic stadium is down around the jamsil area which is a nice area, it's down by the han river too so it's nice for running along, there is an endless path there specifically for running/cycling on.

the olympic stadium is also close to gangnam (maybe 3 or 4 stops on the subway). Gangnam is a cool place, loads to do there, shopping, restaurants etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

More than likely going to Daegu in February via EPIK.
    Anyone else going there?
    Anyone else already there? If so is there many Irish there, what's it like to live there?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

I have a job offer to start on November 15th, but preferably arriving November 8th/9th for a couple of days observation. Assuming I sent off my documents today, do you think it would be possible to get the visa in time for departure in just over 3 weeks time? Or would I be cutting it pretty fine? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Cole

I have noticed that some recruiter websites post up details of prospective teachers who have registered with them, such as photos and personal information.

If people want this info made public...fair enough, but I don't. I'm only registering with recruiters where I can't view applicants details. Can you generally request your details to be kept private? It appears that you just take your chances, but I may be wrong?

Don't know anything about the school. The hours seem kinda long though but if you think they're okay then they're okay.

The olympic stadium is down around the jamsil area which is a nice area, it's down by the han river too so it's nice for running along, there is an endless path there specifically for running/cycling on.

the olympic stadium is also close to gangnam (maybe 3 or 4 stops on the subway). Gangnam is a cool place, loads to do there, shopping, restaurants etc etc.

Cheers Cloneslad,

Ah the hours don't bother me atal. She said ya get a 15 minute break between classes and lunch is 11.15-1.30 which is great. From looking at jobs the main thing we want to avoid is split shifts. I mean they would be a disaster for experiencing the country. Was looking at jobs where the hours are 2-10 but id rather be finished early. However I would also see the advantage of having the morning off to do what ya want,

Cool that theirs a running path close by but I'm trying to give up running for a while due to injuries so that might be a bad thing

Hopefully gonna play a bit of soccer or GAA if its around maybe take up Taekwondo

She got back to me today saying the director is happy to employ me but not sure what location yet. If me and my friend are offered two different locations probably wont take it.

Cole wrote: »
    I have noticed that some recruiter websites post up details of prospective teachers who have registered with them, such as photos and personal information.

If people want this info made public...fair enough, but I don't. I'm only registering with recruiters where I can't view applicants details. Can you generally request your details to be kept private? It appears that you just take your chances, but I may be wrong?

Ya I noticed that on one site, I was like WTF ya would never see that in Ireland posting up everyones info available to anyone without even having to log in.

I suppose it just the way they do things over there. Kinda like the way they ask for your date of birth, marital statues, blood type etc. That kinda thing is generally never asked here.

I presume if your on one of those sites a quick e mail requesting to be taken down should do the job.

Cole wrote: »

That has happened to me a few times. Basically they are sneaky and do it without you knowing. If you spot it and call them on it then they will take it down. They do that to show that they have a huge number of teachers.

Honestly, if an agency wants to use your details, picture or comments then you should get paid for it. They can attract business with your info. so you should get something out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

Maybe someone could help me with deciding on a course to do. I have a BA and MA (both primarily concerned with History), and by the time I leave for Korea I'll have a few weeks of teaching experience thanks to work in a local primary school. I know a lot of emphasis is placed on practical courses in getting your TEFL, where you participate in a classroom setting before getting your English certificate, but owing to the fact that I'll have experience teaching, would I be able to circumvent these courses? I dont mind doing them, but they are more expensive and 4 weeks of 9-5 is not helpful as I could use to time to save money for Korea as well as gain more experience in schools. What do ye guys think? Would I be safe with an online course of 120 hours or so? Or should I go all in and splash out for a practical course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Twin Lance wrote: »
    What do ye guys think? Would I be safe with an online course of 120 hours or so? Or should I go all in and splash out for a practical course?

Honestly, it's a waste of time and money especially if you're going to work in a hagwon (private school). They couldn't care less if you had a TEFL. In fact the only reason the vast majority of them even care if you have a degree or not is because it would be illegal to hire you if you didn't.

Just to state it again simply. Do not waste your time or money on a TEFL cert. You do not need it.

Of course having a high certificate like a CELTA is good for getting better jobs but honestly it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. It's nowhere near worth the money it costs.

Had another phone call this morning from a recruiter. He told me what Ive being hearing a lot about most schools wanting American teachers due to the fact that they speak clearer and Koreans prefer American english.

Have four e mails in the inbox this morning so hopefully will get sorted with something soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Had another phone call this morning from a recruiter. He told me what Ive being hearing a lot about most schools wanting American teachers due to the fact that they speak clearer and Koreans prefer American english.

Most schools actually prefer Canadians, especially female Canadians. If you were to make a list of people that schools generally* prefer it might look like this;

White Canadian female
    White Canadian male
    White American female
    White American male
    White Australian female
    White Australian male
    .... etc.

Until we get to the bottom which is generally* black Americans/Canadians or Asian Americans or people with perceived strong accents like ourselves or the British.

But please understand that this is in general. You have schools that specifically request Black Americans/Canadians because they have had good experiences with them in the past. You have schools that specifically want Asian Americans especially Korean-Americans, you have schools that specifically want Irish or British people because of past experiences.

If you go to some of the job websites you will see it is quite common for a school to specifically request a teacher of particular sex, ethnicity and nationality.

I've seen some really strange ads in my time here specifically asking for teachers such as a 'large black American woman' and a 'blonde haired blue eyed English girl' and a 'tall Korean-American' and any number of other possibilities you can think of.

It's not true that Koreans generally prefer American English. It is true that generally many of them think they prefer American English because of their perception of what American English and British/Other English sounds like.
    But I've found that this is rather rare these days and nationality plays a very small part.
    Have four e mails in the inbox this morning so hopefully will get sorted with something soon

Have you seen this website ? http://www.monsterenglish.com/

I recommend not using a recruiter. Just based on my own personal experience.

I can't stress this enough: Use a smart looking photo

We're hiring new teachers for March and we've had a lot of cv's sent in and some of the photos have been ridiculous. One guy was wearing a pair of aviator sunglasses (he went straight in the bin for that) what, did he think he looked cool?

Another guy was obviously drunk in his photo and in another there was a guy at a party and he had cropped out the other people in the photo but left some strangers hand resting on his nipple (he was wearing a shirt).

Now a fun photo is okay so long as you don't look drunk or like a twat. One of the guys in our school sent a pic of himself next to a north korean building but he look professional and happy so he got the job.

Have you seen this website ? http://www.monsterenglish.com/

I recommend not using a recruiter. Just based on my own personal experience.

Cheers, I looked that up looks like a decent site. Thier seems to be some amount of jobs advertised on sites but sometimes they dont even get back to ya but I guess thats the same everywhere

Should be sorted within a week hopefully.
    I can't stress this enough: Use a smart looking photo

Ya Im using a photo from my graduation with me smiling so id that should be grand. Ive got 3 interviews on the phone so far so I presume my Resume is ok.

Following on from the photo comments I would suggest trying to get a photo with some kids if you are going to teach kids. Employers really like that. Also, there is no reason why you can't send more than one photo. One can be dressed up and the other can be with friends or something like that (just not on the tear!)

Make sure your smart-looking picture is decent and large enough. Put a smile on your face, not a girn or a smirk but a genuine looking smile. It's amazing how many people are picked because they are smiling or look nice.

Hey Guys,

Anyone have any experience of visiting or working in Gumi?

Ive researched it and it looks a nice place with plenty of mountains close by and its called the Silicon valley of Korea as it has a lot of electronics companies based in it

I have a second interview in the morning for Gumi Chungdahm Learning

Hey Guys,

Anyone have any experience of visiting or working in Gumi?

Ive researched it and it looks a nice place with plenty of mountains close by and its called the Silicon valley of Korea as it has a lot of electronics companies based in it

I have a second interview in the morning for Gumi Chungdahm Learning

I don't know anything personal about the chain but CDl (chingdam learning) and CDI and whatever other names they have, are not well liked by most foreign teachers. They tend to try and sign you on an hourly wage as an independent contractor. This allows them to get away without paying pension and insurance and AFAIK the severance pay too.

You may also have to pay for your own housing too.

The upside of this is that you can earn about 3million or more a month. Just don't get sick cos you will be paying for your own hospital stay.

They are also known to have you pay for your own flight, put you in the induction, think you aren't up for the job and fire you before you start.

There are also salaried positions with lower pay that do offer housing, pension, insurance and severance.

As I said, I don't know anyone working there, just what I've read on the internet.

I don't know anything personal about the chain but CDl (chingdam learning) and CDI and whatever other names they have, are not well liked by most foreign teachers. They tend to try and sign you on an hourly wage as an independent contractor. This allows them to get away without paying pension and insurance and AFAIK the severance pay too.

You may also have to pay for your own housing too.

The upside of this is that you can earn about 3million or more a month. Just don't get sick cos you will be paying for your own hospital stay.

They are also known to have you pay for your own flight, put you in the induction, think you aren't up for the job and fire you before you start.

There are also salaried positions with lower pay that do offer housing, pension, insurance and severance.

As I said, I don't know anyone working there, just what I've read on the internet.

Thanks Cloneslad,

Its a salarised position so there is severance, 50/50 insurance etc covered.

Seems pretty good. My friend who I hope to go over with also has an interview with them tomorrow aswell.

We had another offer 2 weeks ago from Seoul English Village. Looked like a pretty sweet deal. Just had to wait a few days to find out exact details etc from the girl who interviewed us. She's not replying to our e mails now so i guess its out the window

• Advertisement

Just filling out an application form for the EPIK program. From reading the threads Public schools seem to be really good. Had a chat with a lad from one earlier. The 5 weeks holidays cant really be bet.

Anyways its a rural location. I defo wouldnt want to be stuck out in the sticks but yer man told me the population of the towns was 50k which when your from Sligo is pretty big:)

The locations of the schools are in the Gangwon province and one is in Jeongseon and the other in Samcheok. Now he was telling me all about the lovel outdoor stuff to there etc obviosly hes not gonna say anything bad

Anyone have any experience of Jeongseon or Samcheok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 alan_slane

I wouldn't delay if I were you.....get all the forms needed ready now! I have had my interview and have all the forms sent. You'll need to get an official copy of your degree with a solicitor, police cert and copy of degree then appostilled plus all your other forms.

Just filling out an application form for the EPIK program. From reading the threads Public schools seem to be really good. Had a chat with a lad from one earlier. The 5 weeks holidays cant really be bet.

Anyways its a rural location. I defo wouldnt want to be stuck out in the sticks but yer man told me the population of the towns was 50k which when your from Sligo is pretty big:)

The locations of the schools are in the Gangwon province and one is in Jeongseon and the other in Samcheok. Now he was telling me all about the lovel outdoor stuff to there etc obviosly hes not gonna say anything bad

Anyone have any experience of Jeongseon or Samcheok?

Samcheok is an okay place. I stopped there for about 2 hours when I took a road trip of the east coast about a month ago. It's got a homeplus (tesco) the usual western type places (mr pizza, dunkin donuts, baski robbins etc etc)

Their homeplus isn't that great, it's just got the homeplus part, doesn't have a department store attached to it.

50,000 people may souund like a lot especially whn comparing it to back home (i lived in sligo for 5 years and my g.f is from there) but I wouldn't look at it like that.

When you have a town of 10,000 or so back home you get a cinema, couple of big chain supermarkets and some restaurants. To get a cinema, e-mart/homeplus/lotts mart type supermarket, a decent dept store, and some western style restaurants as well as some good korean ones then you would have to have a populations of about 60-70,0000 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SeanAnthony

Hi guys. I'd just like to get some advice on the best way to apply for the EPIK programme. Do I apply directly or do I go through an agency? Also is there 4-5 weeks paid holidays guaranteed in EPIK? From what I am reading the EPIK programme offers a better package than private schools or is this correct to say? I have just completed my teacher training and finding it impossible to get any kind of work here. No point hanging around so going to go for this. What salary would I be expected to receive if I am a qualified teacher? Sorry if the answer to my questions are in previous pages but I am just new to this site. Thanks.

[Hi guys. I'd just like to get some advice on the best way to apply for the EPIK programme. Do I apply directly or do I go through an agency?
    you can do either but only apply through one agency, mulitple entries will get the applicant thrown out of the process, or at least they used to.
    Also is there 4-5 weeks paid holidays guaranteed in EPIK?

it's about that, usually 2 in summer and 2 in winter with a few public holidays spread out throughout the year. Holidays will have to be submitted and granted by your principal and not taken when ever you want. Also when school is out for 5-6 weeks in both summer and winter you will still be required to come in and teach camps or just sit around doing nothing.
    From what I am reading the EPIK programme offers a better package than private schools or is this correct to say?

usually less pay than a private school, especially for first time applicants. The hours in school can be longer too and you also have a lot of bureaucracy to go through to get anything done.Though the holidays are better and you are generally guaranteed your severence, insurance, pension etc etc.

It's also more difficult to obtain an EPIK position than a private school.
    What salary would I be expected to receive if I am a qualified teacher?

for you degree plus your teaching qualification you would start off at 2 million in Busan or Incheon. 2.1 million in one of the other larger cities or 2.2 if you are just in a provincial area.

As I said, the money is not great. You could easily get 2.2 million in seould at most hagwons, with this going up to 2.3/2.4 or 2.5.

Though for a first timer 2.3 is probably more realistic despite the education qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SeanAnthony

Thanks Cloneslad. thats a great help. What is the best agency to go through in Ireland you think? I have tried Tiger English and I have heard nothing from them. I registered my details and sent a photo over a month ago but I never heard anything back from them.

Thanks Cloneslad. thats a great help. What is the best agency to go through in Ireland you think? I have tried Tiger English and I have heard nothing from them. I registered my details and sent a photo over a month ago but I never heard anything back from them.

I couldn't tell you. I didn't use one. I'm over with a school I worked at a few years ago so it was a contact thing.

Hopefully other posters can point you in the right direction though.

Don't forget to check out daves esl and craigs list for jobs put up directly by schools. Even rectruiters will advertise for individual public school jobs that haven't been filled yet or where the teacher is leaving out of peak hiring period.

Hi guys. I'd just like to get some advice on the best way to apply for the EPIK programme. Do I apply directly or do I go through an agency? Also is there 4-5 weeks paid holidays guaranteed in EPIK? From what I am reading the EPIK programme offers a better package than private schools or is this correct to say? I have just completed my teacher training and finding it impossible to get any kind of work here. No point hanging around so going to go for this. What salary would I be expected to receive if I am a qualified teacher? Sorry if the answer to my questions are in previous pages but I am just new to this site. Thanks.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=188112&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=255

People, including myself have posted the questions we were asked in the interview etc.

I've all my documents sent off for it, and I'm hoping to get Daegu City, however, I was told that you could end up anywhere, and your not told where you're going until the day before you leave orientation!

There is a lot of confusion where to get your criminal record search done, but what you do is go to your local Garda Barracks and ask them to get it for you. Do this as soon as possible as it can take up to 3 weeks to get it. Do not, as others have done, apply for the vetting one in Thurles, as this is not an official criminal record check.

Best of luck with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

It depends on the status of your local Garda station Munster devil. Mine is of the rural village/doughnut eating/one speed check a year type and they directed me to try Thurles (which was the wrong one for Korea as you've pointed out). Eventually, I was correctly advised that you should approach the Superintendent in the area you live, he is authorised to do the correct background check needed for Korea. I just wrote a letter to him with my particulars and passport and Social Welfare numbers, along with a copy of my birth cert., and I had it back within a week. Pretty easy. Then you go and get it apostilled.

Of course, if your Superintendent just so happens to be based at your local station, then by all means wander in instead!

• Advertisement

It depends on the status of your local Garda station Munster devil. Mine is of the rural village/doughnut eating/one speed check a year type and they directed me to try Thurles (which was the wrong one for Korea as you've pointed out). Eventually, I was correctly advised that you should approach the Superintendent in the area you live, he is authorised to do the correct background check needed for Korea. I just wrote a letter to him with my particulars and passport and Social Welfare numbers, along with a copy of my birth cert., and I had it back within a week. Pretty easy. Then you go and get it apostilled.

Of course, if your Superintendent just so happens to be based at your local station, then by all means wander in instead!
    Yes, that is correct, the thing is my Superintendent is in my local barracks and I am also lucky to know him personally

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

I got here in the end! Got a job through EPIK. The week training in Seoul was a great laugh and then they put 25 of us on a bus to Busan. I'm living on the outskirts (second last subway stop) but I get 100,000 extra because my school is in a rural location, even though it's only a 25min bus ride. Co-teacher seems pretty sound. It's a tiny school too. 80 kids and my 6 classes have between 8-12 students. All in all I think I got pretty lucky!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I got here in the end! Got a job through EPIK. The week training in Seoul was a great laugh and then they put 25 of us on a bus to Busan. I'm living on the outskirts (second last subway stop) but I get 100,000 extra because my school is in a rural location, even though it's only a 25min bus ride. Co-teacher seems pretty sound. It's a tiny school too. 80 kids and my 6 classes have between 8-12 students. All in all I think I got pretty lucky!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Welcome to Korea!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Graki_Khan

Hey hey,

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience teaching at English Villages and what was that like?

I've accepted a job for Seoul English Village and sent my visa stuff off to Korea, via registered post from England. But even though they track registered post, it doesn't track after it's left England. So right now I'm playing the waiting game.

The lady from the school anticipated that if things went smoothly with the visa, I'd be arriving in Seoul in mid to late November. So it seems that I've a couple of weeks to kill till I'm off.

Any advice on what to do with my remaining time so I don't get caught rushing around in panic on my last day?

I've accepted a job for Seoul English Village and sent my visa stuff off to Korea, via registered post from England

You should have used a courier, registered post can be a little hit and miss.

Yeah.

Live and learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Hey guys. Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who's contributed to this thread. Myself and my mate are finally heading out to Korea at the end of the week (a couple months later than expected but sure after a couple months being bored at home i might really appreciate the experience :D)

It looks like there'll be a fair few of us heading to Korea around the same time. Anyone up for some Korea boards beers?? Was thinking it might be cool if we all met up somewhere central like Seoul or Daegu. Give us a chance to get to know our surroundings and each other! Also give us a chance to buy a beer or seven for the guys such as cloneslad and livinginkorea who have been ridiculously helpful to anyone who has wandered by this thread.

Also, anyone have any tips on things to bring over with me? Cheese and tea are the big ones I hear! What about winter clothes? I hear Korea gets FREEZING but don't really wanna fill my luggage with ski jackets if I can help it. Are western sized easy enough to track down in Korea generallY? Even if I had to travel to Seoul to get them I wouldn't mind - any excuse like!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I'd say bring enough warm and winter clothing to last you a little while for when you get over...you might not want to have to go hunting down clothes shops right away. The weather here is getting noticeably colder in recent weeks, it's still about the 10-14 mark where I am most days but the odd day it's 4 or 5 and with the wind chill it can feel like it's at freezing point. Brrrr. And it gets a whole lot colder too!
    Then again, bringing a winter coat takes up a lot of luggage room...unless you decide to wear it on the plane!
    When the weather warms up a little more in April/May you'll be easily able to buy tee shirts and lighter clothing here yes, there's lots of western shopping areas near Seoul etc. The western brands are a little more expensive than the local but if you're new, you'll likely stick to the familiar for a while before broadening your horizons. As for sizes, you'd need to be above average western size to struggle to find things and I think in Seoul all things are catered for. My mate has size 10 feet for instance, he struggles to source stuff locally but gets sorted in Seoul.

sweetthing wrote: »
    Also, anyone have any tips on things to bring over with me? Cheese and tea are the big ones I hear! What about winter clothes? I hear Korea gets FREEZING but don't really wanna fill my luggage with ski jackets if I can help it. Are western sized easy enough to track down in Korea generallY? Even if I had to travel to Seoul to get them I wouldn't mind - any excuse like!! :D

It depends on your location. If you are going to be in a city or decent size town then they will have lots of supplies. If not then you will have to travel.

The weather is getting colder and colder once November hits with today's temparature being 8 degrees during the day and -4 at night but it is going to get a little warmer during the week. If you are going to bring over warm clothes make sure that they are thin fleeces and not thick sweaters depending on how much space you have in your bag.

If you are an average sized Irish person then you should be fine finding clothes here. Koreans, especially the younger generation are tall and getting heavier so shops and stores reflect that. If you are really large then there are certain places where people go to in Seoul to get extra large clothes. Unless you are this size or very tall then I wouldn't worry. They have Tesco's or other shopping centres out here so you can always get some decently priced clothes so you do not need to pack up your bag.

Graki_Khan wrote: »
    Hey hey,

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience teaching at English Villages and what was that like?

I've accepted a job for Seoul English Village and sent my visa stuff off to Korea, via registered post from England. But even though they track registered post, it doesn't track after it's left England. So right now I'm playing the waiting game.

The lady from the school anticipated that if things went smoothly with the visa, I'd be arriving in Seoul in mid to late November. So it seems that I've a couple of weeks to kill till I'm off.

Any advice on what to do with my remaining time so I don't get caught rushing around in panic on my last day?

Where is that? I know that they have a few dotted around Seoul. If you are out in the sticks then you can stock up on books although you might be pretty busy settling in during the first couple of weeks. Probably there will be a few of ye together; usually English villages have a good number of native speakers so you will bond together quickly.

Its in Pungnap-dong. I'm pretty luck to get somewhere so central and in a village with a group of native speakers.

I've a friend teaching in Banghak in the north of Seoul and she always seems a bit lonely when I chat to her on skype. So I'm feeling super fortunate to get the job with Seoul English Village.

But yeah, fingers crossed, everything goes smoothly with the visa stuff, it would be super cool to see some Irish faces in Seoul for a few pints ^^

• Advertisement
Advertisement