Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1987

Hey John Joe, That sounds about right. I was charged €22 for two copies of my academic transcripts that were sealed and stamped.(UCD) This was because I'm not a student at the college any more. I think I read that the academic transcripts are free if you are still a student at the college.

I would get two copies of the transcripts. You can scan your transcripts to recruiters if needs be and you have the sealed copies that can be sent straight over to Korea for when they need them. :)

I e-mailed the person at the college again to confirm what would the price be to get my transcripts, she said they would cost 10 euro per academic year so 40 euro in total for the four years, and 80 euro if i wanted two copies. I dont think i'm prepared to pay this much.

So i'm wondering could i make a few copies of the transcripts that I have myself and bring them to the college to get them stamped and sealed as I dont think its worth paying 80 euro

G86 wrote: »
    I don't think you need these? I definitely didn't need them anyway.

Do I not need transcripts of results as part of the visa process or has the system changed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I e-mailed the person at the college again to confirm what would the price be to get my transcripts, she said they would cost 10 euro per academic year so 40 euro in total for the four years, and 80 euro if i wanted two copies. I dont think i'm prepared to pay this much.

So i'm wondering could i make a few copies of the transcripts that I have myself and bring them to the college to get them stamped and sealed as I dont think its worth paying 80 euro

My god that is utterly ridiculous! :eek: When I applied through EPIK they asked specifically that I have a copy of my results signed and sealed. It might depend on what you are applying for but it's better to be safe than sorry. What I would do it try and get photocopies of the transcripts or scans of them and get the originals sealed worst comes to worst.

My god that is utterly ridiculous! :eek: When I applied through EPIK they asked specifically that I have a copy of my results signed and sealed. It might depend on what you are applying for but it's better to be safe than sorry. What I would do it try and get photocopies of the transcripts or scans of them and get the originals sealed worst comes to worst.

thanks for the reply sqeakyduck,

sorry for the confusion but shouldnt i keep the original transcripts myself and get the copies signed and sealed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Do I not need transcripts of results as part of the visa process or has the system changed ?
    Maybe EPIK specifically request them, I'm not sure. But I never needed them and I've completed the process.

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    Maybe EPIK specifically request them, I'm not sure. But I never needed them and I've completed the process.

Ok no problem, I might just try to get one copy of them just to be on the safe side but thanks for the reply

I would get copies of the originals and keep them yourself and get the originals themselves sealed and stamped in an envelope.

EPIK specifically asks for them.

I would get copies of the originals and keep them yourself and get the originals themselves sealed and stamped in an envelope.

EPIK specifically asks for them.

Ok no problem, thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 king of cork

@G86

I should be leaving for Busan on the 8/9th July, but have yet to be informed of flight details hence my nervousness. 18 hrs is a long time in a plane, I may need some medication for that also!

@ johnjoe1987

EPIK do request the transcripts, I don't think you need them for private schools/hagwons but I sent a set anyway. When I asked my university to seal some photocopies of my transcripts they would not do it, they would only seal the originals. I was allowed to get up to 10 sets of transcripts after paying 20 euros. The prices you quote seem rather steep but if they will seal a photocopied transcript then fair enough. Other people on here have had the photocopies sealed, I guess it varies between colleges.

@G86

I should be leaving for Busan on the 8/9th July, but have yet to be informed of flight details hence my nervousness. 18 hrs is a long time in a plane, I may need some medication for that also!

Wow that's really soon! It's 16hours in the air, my stopover adds on another 2.5 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭The IRgAy

If anyone could answer the following questions pertaining to my situation I would be truly grateful!

First some context: I am UK citizen but have lived in Ireland for 22 out of 23 years. I have a BA and MA degree from an Irish university.

Here are my questions;
    • Do I have to get my criminal record check from Ireland or the UK?
    • If yes to the latter above, does anyone know how this is achieved?
    • Do I have to get both my qualifications notarised and apostilled, or just the BA?
    Any information, suggestions or advice would be a tremendous help and greatly appreciated!

Golly, what a palaver!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

The IRgAy wrote: »
    If anyone could answer the following questions pertaining to my situation I would be truly grateful!

First some context: I am UK citizen but have lived in Ireland for 22 out of 23 years. I have a BA and MA degree from an Irish university.

Here are my questions;
    • Do I have to get my criminal record check from Ireland or the UK?
    • If yes to the latter above, does anyone know how this is achieved?
    • Do I have to get both my qualifications notarised and apostilled, or just the BA?
    Any information, suggestions or advice would be a tremendous help and greatly appreciated!

Golly, what a palaver!:(

The MA would need to be apostilled depending on the job. In hagwons you wouldn't need it but for EPIK etc it would bump you up in the pay scale so they might request it for proof.

I would imagine your criminal record check is Ireland. There would be no point getting it done in England if you were only there as a baby.

ekevosu wrote: »
    The MA would need to be apostilled depending on the job. In hagwons you wouldn't need it but for EPIK etc it would bump you up in the pay scale so they might request it for proof.

I would imagine your criminal record check is Ireland. There would be no point getting it done in England if you were only there as a baby.

Logically yes, but I read somewhere else that you have to have a record check from your country of birth, which is why I'm seeking a second opinion here. :(

Thank you everyone for your immensely helpful information!

This site is truly an excellent resource. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Not everyone checks this thread every day. I've always found that the people in this thread have been extremely helpful.

Also the answer to your third question above is in the last few pages and has been answered patiently numerous times over the course of the thread. Maybe you should have read through a bit before making sarky little comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

This site is truly an excellent resource.:rolleyes:

This will be comment number 16667 on this thread. I think you'll find we have been very helpful to anyone who seeks our help in here.

You commented on a Sunday evening (Ireland time) / Sunday night / Monday morning (Korea time).

Now, considering all the people in Korea would have been at work today, they probably never got the chance to check this site.

I wasn't online last night and I was working from 8:30 until 5:30 today, with an hour’s travel each way and I'm sure many others were also doing something similar.

I can answer your question quite confidently with the answer you need. However, if you are going to have such a petty attitude, then perhaps teaching in Korea is not for you. I would hate to think that I was helping to send someone, who has no concept of manners and appreciation of the time others give them, to a great place like Korea for you to destroy their image of Irish people.

If you want to go to Korea so much, ring the embassy, ask them your questions, and don’t come in here whining because you had to wait 24 hours for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

WOW, if you can't be patient here and wait a day then believe me you're in for one hell of alot of agrivation in Korea, and thats after you get through the application and visa part!!

Your questions have been answered a number of times throughout this thread, read it!

If you're serious about going to Korea, patience is not only a virtue, its a survival method.

cloneslad wrote: »
    This will be comment number 16667 on this thread. I think you'll find we have been very helpful to anyone who seeks our help in here.

You commented on a Sunday evening (Ireland time) / Sunday night / Monday morning (Korea time).

Now, considering all the people in Korea would have been at work today, they probably never got the chance to check this site.

I wasn't online last night and I was working from 8:30 until 5:30 today, with an hour’s travel each way and I'm sure many others were also doing something similar.

I can answer your question quite confidently with the answer you need. However, if you are going to have such a petty attitude, then perhaps teaching in Korea is not for you. I would hate to think that I was helping to send someone, who has no concept of manners and appreciation of the time others give them, to a great place like Korea for you to destroy their image of Irish people.

If you want to go to Korea so much, ring the embassy, ask them your questions, and don’t come in here whining because you had to wait 24 hours for an answer.

I apologise for the tone of my post, but I really am begining to lose my mind over this issue, hence the coarse reply.

The problem with the bolded part of your text is that I am not Irish, and therefore there is an ambiguity regarding the criminal background check. I am a British citizen who has lived in Ireland.

Some say I need this check from the UK;others say Ireland.

So far I have yet to find a concrete answer anwhere, which is the reason for my sarcastic post.

If anyone knows this answer I would be sincerely grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 net86

Hey guys - has anyone been to Geoje or is anyone working there? I have an interview coming up for a school - jungchul academy and am really looking for information on whether this area would be a really good place to live for a year??

net86 wrote: »
    Hey guys - has anyone been to Geoje or is anyone working there? I have an interview coming up for a school - jungchul academy and am really looking for information on whether this area would be a really good place to live for a year??

I lived there for a total of 2.5 years. Its a brilliant place to live and work. I did a year and half first and when decided to return to Korea again I wouldn't have gone anywhere else. Theres a quiet enought nightlife, its what you make of it really, saying that there are great nights out to be had. The good thing is if you want to have a big night Busan is less than an hour away, with very regular buses. From April to September the beaches are the main hangout, we had reqular BBQs and camping nights etc. Theres also ATVing, Paint balling, POW camp, rock climbing and an abundance of Hiking trails.

The island has all the essentials eg. cinema, hairdressers, shopping, foreign markets (for the salt and vinegar crisps :) ) irish bars, german bars, indian and chinese restaurants and even a Tescos etc etc. Theres a large number of foreigners on the island because of both the schools and the two large shipping yards. Theres a great community of people there and a decent amount of Irish people. For me the Korean cities can be stifling and good to visit but I wouldn't choose to live in one of them, thats not to say other people don't like them though.

I know of the Jungchul school and have never heard anything bad about them. Theres a geoje teachers facebook page, its great for info and you'll prob find the other Jungchul teachers on there, they will have no problem filling you in on the school.

Hope that helps and good luck with the interview :)

• Advertisement

cassi wrote: »
    For me the Korean cities can be stifling and good to visit but I wouldn't choose to live in one of them, thats not to say other people don't like them though.
    I am not a big fan of cities myself tbh and the pictures that I have seen of the area look fantastic. Thank you very much for the information - so far I am hearing only good things so this is a major plus!!

Take the job. I know the two current teachers there, sean and willow, they are really nice people and have been on the island for about 2-3 years now.

As with cassi, I lived there for 2.5 years over a period of 4 years. You couldn't ask for a better bunch of people to hang around with there either. You can go to the beach, climb mountains, play soccer, frisbee etc, there's a great nightlife among the foreigners and you'll have an amazing year...or 2 or three!!

There are quite a few Irish people on the island too. The place is great, most people extend their contracts there. Jobs are pretyy coveted and people rarely leave the island to work elsewhere in the country, they generally just leave after they finish.

If you have any questions, just ask me, either here or through a PM.

I apologise for the tone of my post, but I really am begining to lose my mind over this issue, hence the coarse reply.

The problem with the bolded part of your text is that I am not Irish, and therefore there is an ambiguity regarding the criminal background check. I am a British citizen who has lived in Ireland.

Some say I need this check from the UK;others say Ireland.

So far I have yet to find a concrete answer anwhere, which is the reason for my sarcastic post.

If anyone knows this answer I would be sincerely grateful!

If you've lived in Ireland since you were one, which I believe is what you said, then you'll not need to get a police check from Britain, You hardly committed a crime aged one.

This should be the way it is. I spent time in the U.K and didn't need a check from there.

Why don't you just get an Irish passport anyway? You would be allowed dual citizenship so it'll just make things like this much easier for you.

If you've lived in Ireland since you were one, which I believe is what you said, then you'll not need to get a police check from Britain, You hardly committed a crime aged one.

This should be the way it is. I spent time in the U.K and didn't need a check from there.

Why don't you just get an Irish passport anyway? You would be allowed dual citizenship so it'll just make things like this much easier for you.

Firstly, thank you for your answer.

I asked the same question in Dave's ESL cafe and they seemed to be sure I need the check from my country of birth. I decided to seek a second opinion as most of the posters on there are American.

Judging from the following sources, it looks like Dave's is unfortunately correct:
    http://www.goeastrecruiting.com/requirements
    http://www.seoulteaching.com/requirements.html

Regarding your last question: I don't have an Irish passport because I am not Irish. Would you get a British passport?

It looks like I'll just have to get the check done from the UK, as absurd as that is.

Anway, thank you very much for taking the time to respond, I appreciate your input.

Firstly, thank you for your answer.

I asked the same question in Dave's ESL cafe and they seemed to be sure I need the check from my country of birth. I decided to seek a second opinion as most of the posters on there are American.

Judging from the following sources, it looks like Dave's is unfortunately correct:
    http://www.goeastrecruiting.com/requirements
    http://www.seoulteaching.com/requirements.html

Regarding your last question: I don't have an Irish passport because I am not Irish. Would you get a British passport?

It looks like I'll just have to get the check done from the UK, as absurd as that is.

Anway, thank you very much for taking the time to respond, I appreciate your input.

If I lived there for 22 out of 23 years, then yes, it would make my life a hell of a lot easier, but I'd keep my Irish one too.

You are going to need to get an Irish background check to go with your English one, as you have lived here for so long.

As for getting the English one, it's going to be a giant pain in the áss because you will then have to get it notarised and apostilled over there as the dept of foreign affairs here will not be able to do that for you.

If you have someone living near milton keynes then that would be helpful to you.

If I lived there for 22 out of 23 years, then yes, it would make my life a hell of a lot easier, but I'd keep my Irish one too.

You are going to need to get an Irish background check to go with your English one, as you have lived here for so long.

As for getting the English one, it's going to be a giant pain in the áss because you will then have to get it notarised and apostilled over there as the dept of foreign affairs here will not be able to do that for you.

If you have someone living near milton keynes then that would be helpful to you.

The funny thing is it looks like I won't need it from Ireland. Korean immigration obviously don't apply logic to the criminal background check process.

I hope I'll be able to post my documentation to Milton Keynes!:eek:

Okay so the Hogwan owner has not got in touch with my recruiter regarding my interview for Geoje so I cannot have that. My recruiter has asked me to apply for a position in Gwangju - anybody have any feelings about this area? I was also thinking if Daegu? Still hoping for Geoje though

hello everybody,

Well I'm going to get a photocopy of my degree apostilled tomorrow. Do you guys think I should get two photocopies apostilled or is one photocopy enough?

Also i know it probably varies for each person but what do the majority of teachers do when their one year contract is finished, do they generally come home for a while and then go back to Korea? So if I came home for a few weeks after my one year contract would I have to go through the full visa process again to go back to Korea?

hello everybody,

Well I'm going to get a photocopy of my degree apostilled tomorrow. Do you guys think I should get two photocopies apostilled or is one photocopy enough?

Also i know it probably varies for each person but what do the majority of teachers do when their one year contract is finished, do they generally come home for a while and then go back to Korea? So if I came home for a few weeks after my one year contract would I have to go through the full visa process again to go back to Korea?

Sorry I meant to say I was getting my degree notarised tomorrow, not apostilled

• Advertisement

Okay so the Hogwan owner has not got in touch with my recruiter regarding my interview for Geoje so I cannot have that. My recruiter has asked me to apply for a position in Gwangju - anybody have any feelings about this area? I was also thinking if Daegu? Still hoping for Geoje though

Tell your recruiter to try for that school again and that you want Geoje. Recruiters can be pretty ruthless and maybe another school is offering the recruiter a better cut! You could also try contact the school yourself or the other teachers( I see you have been posting on the facebook page) and get them to pass on your application.

There are ways and means to get what you want, and get around the recruiter.

Sorry I meant to say I was getting my degree notarised tomorrow, not apostilled

You can extend easily enough, it's what most people do.

If you come home then you'll have to do everything again, with the exception of the interview.

As for me, I extended for 6 months then came home and studied for my masters degree. Finished my masters and then went back out to my old school.

I only intended going back for one more year as I had a friend's wedding to come home for and little nieces and nephews to get to know....so that's all I did. I finished my contract, travelled for 6 weeks then came home, now I'm working full time in the area I studied in, so I'm happy enough!!

Which one of you is Tom, is going to Korea on friday and won a grand this morning on today fm?

Which one of you is Tom, is going to Korea on friday and won a grand this morning on today fm?

That Cork dude was meant to be going over this week....! King of cork I think his name was?! I wonder.......:p

Nice little lump sum going over! :) Lucky him! :)

Let's mug him

If you want you can get them to send me the check and I'll forward it on to you out there. I'd hate to think some unscrupulous member of your family may fail to send you the money you won.

• Advertisement

Well, hell I wish I was Tom, that money would allow me to pay for some excess baggage to Korea: 20 kg's seems a bit stingy!

fill a laptop bag and a carry on suitcase too, they'll let you take 22 or 23kg too. Just be friendly at the check in counter.

Well, hell I wish I was Tom, that money would allow me to pay for some excess baggage to Korea: 20 kg's seems a bit stingy!

Who are you flying with? I'm with Ethiad and it's 23kg for checked baggage and 7kg carry on, plus your laptop/handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Hi, I'm going teaching in Seoul on my own in September. I'm hoping to work in a public school which means I'll be the only Irish person in the school. I'd appreciate some meaningful advice on how to meet up with other Irish people in Seoul. I don't play camogie so that's not an option. Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Do_Lers

Hey it depends what your into really?

There are loads groups who organize weekend trips away for people here is the link to their facebook page,
    https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108698559171327 there called Discover Korea, there are a few others but Ive heard most good things about this crowd. (Adventure Korea is another)

Its worth checking out and a great was to meet people as there will be loads of people in the same boat as you. For the first couple of weeks it might be good to go on a weekend away if you make friends early on then you can have a bit of company discovering Korea.
    You may be surprised as more and more public schools now have more than 1 foreign teacher, when I arrived here I was one of 3 foreign teachers. I didnt even think to ask would i be the only foreigner, because it never happens. Since coming here I have met a number of public school teachers who are not the only foreigner.

There is meetups.com you can search for whatever you are into ie film photography whatever it is you will find a group who meet weekly to do stuff, I havent done this but know people who have and loved it.

Theres loads to do here and if sport is not your thing dont worry you will find something your into.

Best of luck with everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I finally got my placement location from EPIK.

Gwangju!
    It was my third choice. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I kinda had my heart set on Busan. Does anyone know anything about this city?

I feel a bit stupid about saying this but I really thought I would get my first or second choice so I put very little thought into choice 3, 4 and 5.

Anyway,
    http://www.eslplanet.co.kr/FAQ.aspx.htm?faqid=439
    http://www.eslplanet.co.kr/FAQ.aspx.htm?faqid=386

These links have put my mind at ease, a bit...

hyperbaby wrote: »

Gwangju!
    It was my third choice. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I kinda had my heart set on Busan. Does anyone know anything about this city?

I too am unsure about going to Gwangju - I have been offered a position at Gwangju and also Geoje island. Both schools sound really good but the areas are totally different. Gwangju sounds really good as a small city though so I still have no idea what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Thanks a mill, Do Lers, really helpful info there. Yeah, i'm just looking for likeminded genuinely sociable* people to hang out with who like going for a few drinks and eats, to the cinema, seeing the sights, going for walks and travelling/weekends away etc. It never occurred to me that a public school would have more than one ESL teacher - the fact that they do has cheered me up no end.

(*not hermits/pining, lovelorn, thirtysomething, single females who fled to south korea to make some sort of statement to their crush/f*ckbuddy/ex back home. I met all that sort last year in Laos and Cambodia.)

I too am unsure about going to Gwangju - I have been offered a position at Gwangju and also Geoje island. Both schools sound really good but the areas are totally different. Gwangju sounds really good as a small city though so I still have no idea what to do

Did you apply through EPIK or other websites/agencies?
    I'm a bit nervous about Gwangju but the decision has been finalised now I guess.
    When are you going?

im going to the solicitor tomorrow to get my degree notarised. So is it just honours degree i get notarised or do i have to get my ordinary degree notarised as well?

Also the solicitor said that i must bring proof of residence and identification and to just bring my original degree as he said the notary makes the copies himself, is this the normal procedure?

One final question, how many copies should i get notarised?

Gwangju!

A good friend of mine is from Gwangju, she loves the place, but then again, it is her home. I've been to the provincial area, but not the city. It's supposed to be quite nice, you could have a look around the city using daum maps...like google, but awesome for korea.

As for you net86 - take Geoje!! Nothing else needed to say to you.

im going to the solicitor tomorrow to get my degree notarised. So is it just honours degree i get notarised or do i have to get my ordinary degree notarised as well?

Also the solicitor said that i must bring proof of residence and identification and to just bring my original degree as he said the notary makes the copies himself, is this the normal procedure?

One final question, how many copies should i get notarised?

Just the honours.

I had my own copy, but if he wants to copy it himself, let him....unless he's going to charge a fortune for it.

One copy should be fine, don't send it off until you accept a job. Never send your recruiter your documents before signing a contract. A scanned copy will suffice, to show that you have them.

Did you apply through EPIK or other websites/agencies?
    I'm a bit nervous about Gwangju but the decision has been finalised now I guess.
    When are you going?

No Ill be teaching at a Hagwon - jungchul. Going through Anna at Korea Global Connections
    I imagine I will choose Gwangju because although Geoje looks absolutely stunning i would worry that island fever would set in after a few months.
    I have read some good things about Gwangju but also some not so nice things. To be honest I still dont know which one I am going to choose - keep switching between one and the other
    I need to make my decision asap as both schools are looking for me to start on the 8th or 15th august. That said I dont know if i will have my visa in time as still waiting for my garda clearance thing.

When are you leaving?

@G86

Yep flying with Etihad also and it is 23kg plus the 7kg carry on but I'm struggling to get everything into the suitcase and gearbag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement