Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dirtbird1

Regarding the notarised degree copy -

I've just been through this process. Lots of solicitors in Dublin were trying to charge me 50-60 euro for the notarisation - don't pay that. I got mine done for 30 euro in Tallaght but you should ideally be able to get it done for 10 euro.

I tried to find a cheap way around it by going to UCD and asking them to authenticate a degree photocopy as a 'True Copy' but they don't do that in UCD - you have to go to the National University of Ireland on Merrion Square to get it authenticated. When I went there, they wouldn't authenticate my own photocopy. You have to pay 50 euro for a new official copy (either in Latin or an English translation from the Latin) and a further 10 euro for a 'true copy'. The latter is one you need for your Korean visa, since they only accept copies and not original degree scrolls.

So in conclusion I found it cheaper to pay the solicitor to notarise my copy and to translate the Latin myself, just typed out on a page. They accepted this in Busan anyway. Best of luck to others trying to figure it all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dirtbird1

Also, you can't get your degree copy apostilled until it has been notarized by a solicitor or verified by the university as a 'true copy'.

This is from the Department of Foreign Affairs website:

"Photocopies of Documents
    We can Authenticate\Apostille photocopies of certain types of documents provided they have been certified by a practising Irish Solicitor or Notary Public in Ireland. "

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=268

• Registered Users Posts: 35 net86

Is it better to exchange my euros before I leave Ireland or when I arrive in Korea? Or does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

net86 wrote: »
    Is it better to exchange my euros before I leave Ireland or when I arrive in Korea? Or does it really matter?

Its much better to exchange your euros in Korea! Right before you go to customs in the airport theres an exchange window, I always found it the best one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

hyperbaby wrote: »
    I compared prices on Skyscanner.net and went with Lufthansa/Asiana Airlines. Stopover in Frankfurt.

When are you going to Korea?

I'm going to Incheon with EPIK, so will be arriving on the 17th. Can't wait! Anyone else going as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

Just back from the pension office.

The Korea/Ireland pension agreement sucks. Not only do we not get the refund, they don't have a clue about even getting your contributions transferred to your Irish fund. I practically had to talk them through the document myself. I'd advise all Irishers in K-town to email the embassy with a view to getting it renegotiated. There's no reason there couldn't have been a reciprocal refund agreement put in place, given that A. Ireland already has such agreements with countries such as Australia and B. Korea has these agreements with the US, Canada etc. Bunch of balls.

(Although I'm aware the embassy themselves probably didn't negotiate it, someone might get the message if enough people email them.)

Edit: And this wasn't some backwater pension office, this was the Head Office in Seoul.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

dapto1 wrote: »
    I'm going to Incheon with EPIK, so will be arriving on the 17th. Can't wait! Anyone else going as well?

I'm arriving on the 18th for the EPIK orientation.

Where will you be based?

Did you guys hear about the crazy weather in Korea at the moment?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/world/asia/29korea.html

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

Brimmy wrote: »
    Igok has a load of cafes and is quite hilly, it's not as built up as the other areas of Daegu (Sangin for example) and has a bit of a more Korean feel to it but there's still a lot of restaurants and things to do. You're only 20 minutes away from Downtown via the subway though. All of Daegu is quite small enough that if you're not happy with your immediate area it's easy to get to others where there's plenty to do, especially if you're on the subway but large enough to offer enough variety. As well if you have your heart set on Busan it's only 50 minutes on the KTX from Dondaegu (and costs 9,000 won if you get a family seat with 3 other people, 15,000 if you don't). Daegu is great though, Busan was my first choice and I'm certian that I'm much happier here than I ever would have been in Busan which was also my first choice.

Thanks for that post.

I'm stuck between two choices now, as my recruiter (from KorJob Canada Recruiting) has convinced me that the Daegu position is a good position and that they only have contacts with the best schools. But now I have also received a job position with the Avalon English on Dong-rae Campus, but I'm hearing that there are some horror stories about this particular school - does anyone know if is this true? The director sounded lovely on the phone, so it's hard to know whether it's true.

I'm nearly keen to take the Avalon position just because the school looks incredible! :eek:

Where will you be based?

I had a brain freeze, I'll also be arriving on the 18th. I'll be based in Incheon, how about you?

I'm looking at going with Lufthansa via Frankfurt. It's working out about 50 euro over the entry allowance though. Most of the other ones seem to either require a layover or get in too late for the EPIK check in.

Edit: Although there's only one ticket left at that price and I can't book it until I get my visa. Balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 king of cork

@ col89

Where is Dongrae? Do you mean Dongnae, Busan? When a recruiter tells you they only deal with the best schools, do you actually believe them ? The recruiter makes up to 1 million Won for every recruit. They really can't be trusted. Speak with and email a current teacher before you accept any position. It really is the only way to be sure , if they don't allow you to communicate with a current teacher then I would be very hesitant about taking an offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

RadioClash wrote: »
    Just back from the pension office.

The Korea/Ireland pension agreement sucks. Not only do we not get the refund, they don't have a clue about even getting your contributions transferred to your Irish fund. I practically had to talk them through the document myself. I'd advise all Irishers in K-town to email the embassy with a view to getting it renegotiated. There's no reason there couldn't have been a reciprocal refund agreement put in place, given that A. Ireland already has such agreements with countries such as Australia and B. Korea has these agreements with the US, Canada etc. Bunch of balls.

(Although I'm aware the embassy themselves probably didn't negotiate it, someone might get the message if enough people email them.)

Edit: And this wasn't some backwater pension office, this was the Head Office in Seoul.

Considering it took over 10 years of negotiations to get the agreement currently in place, I can't see them hurrying it up over a few hundred e-mails.

That, and they prob prefer to keep the payments they get from Koreans here, rather than see you getting them back in Korea and spending them while travelling.

I wish they would give it back, cos I have about 6million won in there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

cloneslad wrote: »
    Considering it took over 10 years of negotiations to get the agreement currently in place, I can't see them hurrying it up over a few hundred e-mails.

I walked into the embassy here over 4 years ago and was told that the pension agreement was nearly finished, just had to dot a few i's. :pac:

That, and they prob prefer to keep the payments they get from Koreans here, rather than see you getting them back in Korea and spending them while travelling.

I wish they would give it back, cos I have about 6million won in there :(

While getting your contributions transferred to Ireland is better than a kick in the a*se, the guy didn't have a bulls notion how the agreement is implemented. I was basically asking him for a certificate or document showing how much I have put into my pension here and he said 'oh that isn't how it works'. Then I asked how Revenue in Ireland is supposed to know how much I have contributed. His answer?: 'That's a good question'. He eventually gave me a piece of paper detailing my contributions to date, but the problem being all my contributions won't be in the system until a month after I leave. I've emailed the embassy for clarification and expressing my dissatisfaction anyway.

Where will you be based?

I had a brain freeze, I'll also be arriving on the 18th. I'll be based in Incheon, how about you?

I'm looking at going with Lufthansa via Frankfurt. It's working out about 50 euro over the entry allowance though. Most of the other ones seem to either require a layover or get in too late for the EPIK check in.

Edit: Although there's only one ticket left at that price and I can't book it until I get my visa. Balls.
    Oh see you at the airport,ha!
    I don't have my visa yet either and i booked my flights a few weeks ago,how come you can't book your flights?
    I will based in Gwangju.
    Actually my second choice was Incheon but i got my third choice Gwangju.

Oh see you at the airport,ha!
    I don't have my visa yet either and i booked my flights a few weeks ago,how come you can't book your flights?
    I will based in Gwangju.

You'll enjoy Gwangju a hell of a lot more than Incheon, you'll be glad. That size city (1m -1.5m), is the best type of city in Korea I reckon. You'll have a few food options, tight enough expat group but can avoid certain folk if you wish and Is a decent place to pick up Korean. It wont be as suffocatingly big like Seoul/Incheon either. Jeolla-do people are a lot more easy going than Busanites or Seoulites too. Have a ball...

RadioClash wrote: »
    You'll enjoy Gwangju a hell of a lot more than Incheon, you'll be glad. That size city (1m -1.5m), is the best type of city in Korea I reckon. You'll have a few food options, tight enough expat group but can avoid certain folk if you wish and Is a decent place to pick up Korean. It wont be as suffocatingly big like Seoul/Incheon either. Jeolla-do people are a lot more easy going than Busanites or Seoulites too. Have a ball...
    My Korean friend said that she wasn't that fond of Incheon, but then again she's from Seoul so that may be part of the reason.

My first choice was Busan and I was gutted that I didn't get it at the time but everything happens for a reason and I reckon I would have got swallowed whole there. It's such a massive city. A few weeks ago, I found a Gwangju running club on Facebook that I will hopefully join.

Where are/were you based in Korea?

Thanks for your input :D

Any advice about buying a mobile over there?
    My agency sent me a link about ordering a phone before I arrive http://www.thearrivalstore.com/
    What's your experience about buying a phone over there?
    Is it better to order one first?
    The phones on that site look fairly average to be honest.

Does anyone know if it is easy to get adapters in Ireland or in Korea?

Any advice about buying a mobile over there?
    My agency sent me a link about ordering a phone before I arrive http://www.thearrivalstore.com/
    What's your experience about buying a phone over there?
    Is it better to order one first?
    The phones on that site look fairly average to be honest.

Does anyone know if it is easy to get adapters in Ireland or in Korea?

judt buy a 2nd hand pay as you go one there, it's easier than having a bill, and much cheaper.

Get the adapters here, I brought over two extension power bricks that had the capability of holding 4 plugs and I took a couple of converters. That meant I didn't have to find lots of different sockets to plug everything into.

I will based in Gwangju.

Gwangju was my second choice - I have heard really good things about so good luck!! Im headin off now on Wednesday morning:eek: If you are ever down Geoje way gimme a shout :D

judt buy a 2nd hand pay as you go one there, it's easier than having a bill, and much cheaper.

Get the adapters here, I brought over two extension power bricks that had the capability of holding 4 plugs and I took a couple of converters. That meant I didn't have to find lots of different sockets to plug everything into.

So it is handy enough to get a second hand phone and adapters over there then?
    The agency probably have a deal with that website so people will buy stuff from them.

• Advertisement

Gwangju was my second choice - I have heard really good things about so good luck!! Im headin off now on Wednesday morning:eek: If you are ever down Geoje way gimme a shout :D
    Wednesday morning?! :eek:
    Best of luck dude! :D
    You never know I might end up down in Geoje sometime!

When you meet Paddy...and trust me, you'll meet Paddy...give him a smack on his bad fat curly head for me!!

So it is handy enough to get a second hand phone and adapters over there then?
    The agency probably have a deal with that website so people will buy stuff from them.

Phones, yes....adapters, not so easy!!

Bring a couple with you because you'll be only finsing your whereabouts for the first few weeks and the last thing you need is to be searching for an adapter to make your laptop work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Galway1987

Hey, I just got offered Seoul with EPIK-SMOE, and will be heading off on the 16th from Dublin. Just with regard to the Visa, are the following all I need when i visit the Embassy in Dublin?

Contract,
    Notice of appointment,
    Passport,
    Passport photos,
    Fee,

Also, how many photos and how much is the fee?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Galway1987 wrote: »
    Hey, I just got offered Seoul with EPIK-SMOE, and will be heading off on the 16th from Dublin. Just with regard to the Visa, are the following all I need when i visit the Embassy in Dublin?

Contract,
    Notice of appointment,
    Passport,
    Passport photos,
    Fee,

Thanks in advance

I don't remember bringing in my contract. I think I just have to give them contact details of my employer, so they could speak to them.

Details of the Embassy:

South Korea Embassy , Ireland

15 Clyde Road
    Ballsbridge
    Dublin
    Ireland
    Phone:
    +353-1-660-8800
    +353-1-660-8053
    +353-1-668 2109
    Fax:
    +353-1-660-8716
    Email:
    irekorsec@mofat.go.kr

Galway1987 wrote: »

Contract,
    Notice of appointment,
    Passport,
    Passport photos,
    Fee,

Thanks in advance
    That's all I needed anyway. I only needed one passport photo, and the fee was about forty euro.

When you meet Paddy...and trust me, you'll meet Paddy...give him a smack on his bad fat curly head for me!!

Ha Ha Thatll be a good start to meeting ppl - I shall pass on that message. If he ends up wondering why some random Irish girl is smacking on the head I will point him your way :)

So people are heading to Gwangju, Daegu and the likes...anybody in the Daejeon area?

I'm currently in Ireland for a vacation...not much,...but...you know...back on the 15th into the crazy Korean World again.

Phones, yes....adapters, not so easy!!

Bring a couple with you because you'll be only finsing your whereabouts for the first few weeks and the last thing you need is to be searching for an adapter to make your laptop work.

Okay good to know, thanks.
    I'll try to locate some adapters somewhere before I go.

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    So people are heading to Gwangju, Daegu and the likes...anybody in the Daejeon area?

I'm currently in Ireland for a vacation...not much,...but...you know...back on the 15th into the crazy Korean World again.

How much time did you get off in August?

Okay good to know, thanks.
    I'll try to locate some adapters somewhere before I go.

I bought an adapter in the airport. Make sure you chech what it looks like by searching online.

Any EPIK people know anything about this pre-orientation task that I've seen mentioned? My recruiter said they don't deal with it.

I've bought UK/Korean adapters in Yongsan electronics market in Seoul before. Seen them in Heathrow shops too If you happen to be connecting through there.

Sigh, my last week on the Korean peninsula, might be back for a visit in the future, but she's burned me out once more! A cruel harsh mistress she be!

I have arrived - after 29 hours without sleep:( Geoje is really nice - not starting work now until Monday so have to find things to do with myself for the next few days. My apartment is a little crap but sure at least its a place to stay!!

Nice one, keep us up to date!

• Advertisement

I have arrived - after 29 hours without sleep:( Geoje is really nice - not starting work now until Monday so have to find things to do with myself for the next few days. My apartment is a little crap but sure at least its a place to stay!!

Its holiday week right now in Geoje so things will be a little quiet. Not sure where your apartment is but if you can get towards the water and go to the big cube shaped building theres a homeplus (tesco) there. You can get yourself sorted with alot of stuff there. With your back to the water walk into the main town area and have a look around. Try get yourself orientated and scope out the main areas!

Don't be afraid to ask your bosses for help or advice if you need to :)

Any EPIK people know anything about this pre-orientation task that I've seen mentioned? My recruiter said they don't deal with it.

Most likely gonna be put in some prison for a week for orientation...oh fun times...:D

cassi wrote: »
    Its holiday week right now in Geoje so things will be a little quiet. Not sure where your apartment is but if you can get towards the water and go to the big cube shaped building theres a homeplus (tesco) there. You can get yourself sorted with alot of stuff there. With your back to the water walk into the main town area and have a look around. Try get yourself orientated and scope out the main areas!

Don't be afraid to ask your bosses for help or advice if you need to :)

Hi Cassi - I wont be seeing my boss now until Monday morning,Yeah I kinda just want to meet some new people around here really - beginning to feel the shock of what I have actually done:eek::) (think it deserves both faces). Not being able to sleep doesnt help either - how did everyone deal with this when they first came over??
    I actually live around the corner from the homeplus store - went and got some supplies last night

Hi Cassi - I wont be seeing my boss now until Monday morning,Yeah I kinda just want to meet some new people around here really - beginning to feel the shock of what I have actually done:eek::) (think it deserves both faces). Not being able to sleep doesnt help either - how did everyone deal with this when they first came over??
    I actually live around the corner from the homeplus store - went and got some supplies last night

It is a shock at first but believe me you'll love it! The jetlag could possibly last a week, try your best to stay awake during the day and sleep at night (I know its easier said than done but its the best way) Are you close to the small homeplus express of the large one under the department store? There are a few bars that people mostly go to. Theres a german bar in the main area of the town, Js bar, seven bar etc. Try connect with some people on the facebook page, someone will help out! If you need more info or help you can private mail me.

cassi wrote: »
    It is a shock at first but believe me you'll love it! The jetlag could possibly last a week, try your best to stay awake during the day and sleep at night (I know its easier said than done but its the best way) Are you close to the small homeplus express of the large one under the department store? There are a few bars that people mostly go to. Theres a german bar in the main area of the town, Js bar, seven bar etc. Try connect with some people on the facebook page, someone will help out! If you need more info or help you can private mail me.

Think she's close to the big one, cos that's where sean and willow used to live. Your school is a bit of a jaunt from there. My advice would be to go on the teachers group on facebook, add paddy cooper and ask him what he's doing.

Tell him I sent you, I will send him a message too. He is staying around geoje for this week as he is leavin at the end of sept. If you play sport, there is a group of ppl that play ultimate frisbee on a sunday, they play in the school to the side of homeplus. As you come out of homeplus, turn left, and go straight to the main road, you will see a small laneway across from you (you'll have to use the foot bridge to get there) they play in the school furthest from you (there are 2 schools) it's the one that lottle invens aprtments overlooks. They usually play at 1-2 o clock. They have a facebook group too, if you apply to join it, then I will add you.

• Advertisement

Looks like I'm going a few days earlier than I thought. Anyone know a reasonable hotel/hostel to stay in in Incheon for a few days before the orientation?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a stupid question- can I go to somewhere like Mail Boxes Etc and get them to send my documents by courier instead of directly contacting DHL or FedEx?

Cheers!

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a stupid question- can I go to somewhere like Mail Boxes Etc and get them to send my documents by courier instead of directly contacting DHL or FedEx?

Cheers!

Don't they work with fed ex?

All you have to do is call fedex tell them what you want and they will come to your house / work / where ever you want and pick it up for you, plus it'll get there in 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

hey guys, anyone here gone through the application process with EPIK? I'm just wondering how long the turnaround might be from when they receive your documents (from your recruiter) to the when they offer/assign positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Well, if you fancy a jaunt slightly farther afield tomorrow night, the new GAA club in Busan is having a party in the Wolfhound pub in Haeundae. There should be a good crowd there!

Well, if you fancy a jaunt slightly farther afield tomorrow night, the new GAA club in Busan is having a party in the Wolfhound pub in Haeundae. There should be a good crowd there!
    Ah thank you for the invite but that is a tad bit too far for me right now - totally jetlagged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Ah thank you for the invite but that is a tad bit too far for me right now - totally jetlagged :)

Haha, i can well imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Word of advice on adaptors, I got an 'international' one in Maplin Electronics before I came over and the 2 prong part is too big for the plugs over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 king of cork

Regarding Electricity adaptors: go to any discount store/2 euro shop in Ireland and you can get an adaptor for 2 euros approx. You want this one http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=electric+travel+adaptor&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=624&tbm=isch&tbnid=TJ_sD9sAU_0pbM:&imgrefurl=http://www.englishshop.be/electric-travel-adaptor-plugs-uk-europe.html&docid=3U7oQus94NI_4M&w=300&h=163&ei=8Bs8TpiLNI7RiAK1sJiODA&zoom=1:
    Sometimes they come in packs of 2 adaptors, you need the one with the 2 Round Prongs. They work fine for me on my laptop etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

Anyone in Korea travel by moped at all?

just wondering if it would be worthwhile getting an international driving license?

• Advertisement
Advertisement