Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Welcome to the humidity!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

The mosquitoes are licking their lips and tying their napkins. Fresh Irish blood! Yum!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Now I'm getting nervous....how will my sinuses ever survive????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

Has anyone applied for positions with EPIK? I'm just wondering how long it took between the time they received all the [hard copies of the] paper work (post-phone interview) and the time they got back with an offer of a position (or assignement of a position)?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Hey all,

I really want to go to Seoul but I've been told to be flexable on my destination if I want to go by the end of Sept (which I really do). Where else would people recommend to go in South Korea?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Elba101 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I really want to go to Seoul but I've been told to be flexable on my destination if I want to go by the end of Sept (which I really do). Where else would people recommend to go in South Korea?

What about Seoul really made you want to go there? If we know whats you're looking for or what you would like in a destination e.g shopping, activities etc, then its easier to recommend places.

you can definately start your search for Seoul but you may indeed need to be flexible if your determined on going in sept.

cassi wrote: »
    What about Seoul really made you want to go there? If we know whats you're looking for or what you would like in a destination e.g shopping, activities etc, then its easier to recommend places.

you can definately start your search for Seoul but you may indeed need to be flexible if your determined on going in sept.

Thanks Cassi. I'm looking for a city with lots to do really! A place with other westerners and a good nightlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Thanks Cassi. I'm looking for a city with lots to do really! A place with other westerners and a good nightlife.

Seoul and Busan would be your 2 best bets there!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seamie89

heyy...
    i just completed four years in colege, after my 3rd year i recieved an ordinary degree. my graduation for fourth year isnt until mid november. I'm jst wondering do i need to get both my ordinary and honours degree apostilled?? or should i go ahead and just get my ordinary one done...or would it be better to wait amd get my honours degree and get that apostilled? :)

anyone at all applied for a position with EPIK??

• Advertisement

roosh wrote: »

im planning to apply through EPIK for next feb/march
    would love to find out some info about them aswel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

seamie89 wrote: »
    heyy...
    i just completed four years in colege, after my 3rd year i recieved an ordinary degree. my graduation for fourth year isnt until mid november. I'm jst wondering do i need to get both my ordinary and honours degree apostilled?? or should i go ahead and just get my ordinary one done...or would it be better to wait amd get my honours degree and get that apostilled? :)

The ordinary degree is enough to get you a job and a visa.

cloneslad wrote: »
    The ordinary degree is enough to get you a job and a visa.

thank you :) really have to get organised on getting everything together :)

loads have people have written about their experiences with applying to EPIK, you can either hope they comment again, or scroll back and start reading. Don't go too far back though, people were talking about it 1-2 months ago.

Just click on a page an search for EPIK, it'll save you a lot of hassle.

thank you :) really have to get organised on getting everything together :)

Get your stuff together and apply for positions at the same time. You have loads of time to get stuff together if you aren't looking to go until the next EPIK batch in Feb.

I do envy all the new people going out to Korea for the first time, straight after college. When I applied the (april 2006) there was an abundance of jobs in Ireland, and I turned loads down so I could go to Korea. The second time I went out (feb 2010) I had a masters degree and nobody would hire me.

Now that I've got a job in my field I can't see myself ever going back there to work, it's nice to not have to emmigrate, but it's a sad kind of niceness.

loads have people have written about their experiences with applying to EPIK, you can either hope they comment again, or scroll back and start reading. Don't go too far back though, people were talking about it 1-2 months ago.

Just click on a page an search for EPIK, it'll save you a lot of hassle.

I was kind of hoping for the former, bcos I have a very specific question, as I am pretty much at the final stage of the EPIK application process, but I'll do the search anyway

cheers lad

im planning to apply through EPIK for next feb/march
    would love to find out some info about them aswel :)

if you want to get some info. you could try emailing gillian@reachtoteachrecruiting.com

that's the recruitment agency I went through and she was pretty helpful.

I think the application process for the April intake with APIK is between October and December, but it would be worth starting to get your documents together now, bcos it can take a while, and bcos positions are on a first come first served basis, it might be worth getting your application in early to ensure you get your first preference.

Do you know what documents you need?

Get your stuff together and apply for positions at the same time. You have loads of time to get stuff together if you aren't looking to go until the next EPIK batch in Feb.

I do envy all the new people going out to Korea for the first time, straight after college. When I applied the (april 2006) there was an abundance of jobs in Ireland, and I turned loads down so I could go to Korea. The second time I went out (feb 2010) I had a masters degree and nobody would hire me.

Now that I've got a job in my field I can't see myself ever going back there to work, it's nice to not have to emmigrate, but it's a sad kind of niceness.

you could always go back out for a wee holiday..and maybe forget to come home :D

if you want to get some info. you could try emailing gillian@reachtoteachrecruiting.com

that's the recruitment agency I went through and she was pretty helpful.

I think the application process for the April intake with APIK is between October and December, but it would be worth starting to get your documents together now, bcos it can take a while, and bcos positions are on a first come first served basis, it might be worth getting your application in early to ensure you get your first preference.

Do you know what documents you need?

from reading through loads of different threads on this...i think i know what documents i need etc!im sure il have a few posts up here once i hit any difficultys :) actually do you know how long the garda vetting certificate lasts for?..would it go out of date after a few months...?

• Advertisement

from reading through loads of different threads on this...i think i know what documents i need etc!im sure il have a few posts up here once i hit any difficultys :) actually do you know how long the garda vetting certificate lasts for?..would it go out of date after a few months...?

I wouldn't say so, but I wouldn't swear either. I'd say once it's apostilled it should be fine. I wouldn't get it 6 months in advance or anything, but if you were to apply for it now, by the time you get it and get it apostilled, there'd only be a month or so between that and the opening of the application process, so it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hey all,

Stick to your guns, recruiters will generally try to talk you out of Seoul in order to fill the more rural spots, but it's really not difficult to get a position here. I almost accepted a position in Daejeon before I got offered one in Seoul, and I'm really glad I didn't. You have plenty of time, I had a job I was happy with within 3 weeks of sending out CVs.

I wouldn't say so, but I wouldn't swear either. I'd say once it's apostilled it should be fine. I wouldn't get it 6 months in advance or anything, but if you were to apply for it now, by the time you get it and get it apostilled, there'd only be a month or so between that and the opening of the application process, so it should be fine.

The Garda check is good for 6 months from the date displayed on it.

If anyone has any EPIK questions, that are specific or haven't been answered in the recent past, then post them here and I'm sure someone will know the answer.

It might even be a good idea to copy and paste the whole process on the latest page every 4-6 weeks to save some of the questions.

I had an interview with a recruitment agency yesterday and they said I could be gone by end of Sept! It'll most likely be a private school becasue they said all the public ones would be mostly filled by now. Is anyone working in a private school at the moment? Are they good? Bad?

Thanks

Just collected my visa....flying out tomorrow at noon!

I had an interview with a recruitment agency yesterday and they said I could be gone by end of Sept! It'll most likely be a private school becasue they said all the public ones would be mostly filled by now. Is anyone working in a private school at the moment? Are they good? Bad?

Thanks

Private schools, just like public schools, can be good or bad. Every situation is different. At least you can find out about your private school in advance if you do your research. Talk to current/past teachers.

• Advertisement

Private schools, just like public schools, can be good or bad. Every situation is different. At least you can find out about your private school in advance if you do your research. Talk to current/past teachers.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Flangela

Hi peeps!

Just wanna say thanks for all the useful info posted on this thread ... its really help further my decision to go to Korea.
    I'm currently getting all my document together, just sent off my garda form and degree scroll off to be apostilled and I'm looking into applying for jobs.

I was wondering has anyone had any trouble applying for the EPIK spring term 2011 jobs. I made an application on there home page but im not sure whether its going through for these specific jobs. haven' t received any confirmation emails or anythin.. if anyone else has applied could ye let me know if its going through for ya???

Thanks. Hope that makes sense!

Flangela wrote: »
    Hi peeps!

Just wanna say thanks for all the useful info posted on this thread ... its really help further my decision to go to Korea.
    I'm currently getting all my document together, just sent off my garda form and degree scroll off to be apostilled and I'm looking into applying for jobs.

I was wondering has anyone had any trouble applying for the EPIK spring term 2011 jobs. I made an application on there home page but im not sure whether its going through for these specific jobs. haven' t received any confirmation emails or anythin.. if anyone else has applied could ye let me know if its going through for ya???

Thanks. Hope that makes sense!

do you mean Spring 2012, or Autumn 2011? bcos Spring 2011 has passed.

If it's Autumn 2012 then the application process has closed; if it's Spring 2012 then the application process hasn't opened yet

Just arrived this morning. My apt is HUGE and I still have to unpack. I'm going out to dinner with the school tonight! There is talk of soju! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Just arrived this morning. My apt is HUGE and I still have to unpack. I'm going out to dinner with the school tonight! There is talk of soju! :O

Nice, sounds like you're sorted!

Take it easy on the soju, it gives a wild hangover:D

• Advertisement

Nice, sounds like you're sorted!

Take it easy on the soju, it gives a wild hangover:D

Drank a good bit of soju last night and I was just a little dry mouthed after. Nothing major! :P Grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Hi, I'm really hoping to head out to Seoul ASAP on the second round of SMOE offers. Could anyone tell me if anyone has ever gotten any offers to teach in a public school in Seoul through the second round of the SMOE programme, pls? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

I've accepted a position in Geoje yesterday and I officially fly out on the 14th, just after my graduation dates, can't wait! :D

By the way, Groupon are doing an offer on an online TEFL course for only 99 euro (saving 500 euro) for today only. I bought it today and I'll be doing it over the next number of weeks, so if anyone else is interested in it, you can buy it here. :)

col89 wrote: »
    I've accepted a position in Geoje yesterday and I officially fly out on the 14th, just after my graduation dates, can't wait! :D

Congrats Col! Very quick!

So when is the next boards meet? I'd love to put a face to some of the posters on here!

By the way, Groupon are doing an offer on an online TEFL course for only 99 euro (saving 500 euro) for today only. I bought it today and I'll be doing it over the next number of weeks, so if anyone else is interested in it, you can buy it here. :)

Awesome, where in Geoje will you be or with which school?

Thanks guys! :D

It's a position in Jangseungpo, and the school will be GnB. I know that the school has been a bit hit-and-miss in some areas, but I trust in the one in Jangseungpo, and the teacher that I was in touch with was happy about everything with the school (not to mention the fact that she was lovely as a person - I added her on Facebook!), so I believe I have made the right choice after months of dilly-dallying between choices of schools and whatnot! :)

I have heard that the area is very nature-esque, which is fine with me, but I have to find out more details as to what city or area would be the best option for travelling to so I could meet up with other native English-speakers, etc.

Thanks guys! :D

It's a position in Jangseungpo, and the school will be GnB. I know that the school has been a bit hit-and-miss in some areas, but I trust in the one in Jangseungpo, and the teacher that I was in touch with was happy about everything with the school (not to mention the fact that she was lovely as a person - I added her on Facebook!), so I believe I have made the right choice after months of dilly-dallying between choices of schools and whatnot! :)

I have heard that the area is very nature-esque, which is fine with me, but I have to find out more details as to what city or area would be the best option for travelling to so I could meet up with other native English-speakers, etc.

Jangseungpo is very close to Okpo, it was alot of resturants and bars etc geared to westerners, cause theres alot of westerners there with the shipyards. Most teachers came over to Gohyeon to go out which is about 20mins from Okpo. My suggestion is as soon as you get there start looking into getting a bike or scooter esp if you're gonna live in Jangseungpo. You're very close to the beaches also and yep its very picturesque.

cassi wrote: »
    Jangseungpo is very close to Okpo, it was alot of resturants and bars etc geared to westerners, cause theres alot of westerners there with the shipyards. Most teachers came over to Gohyeon to go out which is about 20mins from Okpo. My suggestion is as soon as you get there start looking into getting a bike or scooter esp if you're gonna live in Jangseungpo. You're very close to the beaches also and yep its very picturesque.

Great, I'm really excited to start working over there! The only thing is I don't drive but I assume that there will be regular public transport like buses and/or trains (hopefully)? :p

Great, I'm really excited to start working over there! The only thing is I don't drive but I assume that there will be regular public transport like buses and/or trains (hopefully)? :p

yes, there are lots of buses, they start at about 6am or so and finish at about 11. the bus costs around 80cent to go anywhere on the island.

I wouldn't worry about getting a license, just get yourself a 50-100cc scooter, you don't need one for it.

Two people have now told you that janseung po is picturesque, and it is, but it's also a nothing town. There's nothing in it, but you are close to opko (about 5 mins on the bus).

There is a bus station in janseung po, but most of the buses that leave the island go from gohyeon, so you will most likely have to take a local bus to gohyeon to get a more regular service to seoul / busan.

Definitely get yourself a scooter, you're going to need one, because there aren't many teachers living where you will be living, and there will certainly be none of them socialising out there.

Oh and there are no trains on the island

yes, there are lots of buses, they start at about 6am or so and finish at about 11. the bus costs around 80cent to go anywhere on the island.

I wouldn't worry about getting a license, just get yourself a 50-100cc scooter, you don't need one for it.

Two people have now told you that janseung po is picturesque, and it is, but it's also a nothing town. There's nothing in it, but you are close to opko (about 5 mins on the bus).

There is a bus station in janseung po, but most of the buses that leave the island go from gohyeon, so you will most likely have to take a local bus to gohyeon to get a more regular service to seoul / busan.

Definitely get yourself a scooter, you're going to need one, because there aren't many teachers living where you will be living, and there will certainly be none of them socialising out there.

Oh and there are no trains on the island

Thanks for the recommendation! Around how much would a 50-100cc scooter be? I'll look into getting one, hopefully they won't be very expensive!

By the way, how much cash would people recommend bringing over to keep you going before you get your first official salary on the next month?

• Advertisement

I've heard different recommendations....anything from 500 to 1000

I brought money over in dollars (all my family gave me dollars!) and I put money on my o2 money card. I brought about €700 in total and I'm spending next to nothing! I'd say someone that has been here longer would be better able to give a sufficient answer as this is my third day! :D

Thanks for the recommendation! Around how much would a 50-100cc scooter be? I'll look into getting one, hopefully they won't be very expensive!

By the way, how much cash would people recommend bringing over to keep you going before you get your first official salary on the next month?

You will pick up a decent scooter for about 400k or so from one of the teachers leaving. You'll see them advertised every now and again on the geoje teachers forum, but most people will just sell theirs on to someone they know on the island.

When we were there we got one for 50k (about €30 at the time) it was a 50cc and came with a lock and helmet. It wasn't the safest bike in the world and it got used for about 4 months to go to and from the beach. It then got a flat tyre and I was too lazy to bring it around to get it fixed. I also lived in the centre of gohyeon so it wasn't really needed.

as for money, as squeeky said, €700 should be fine, in fact €500 will most likely do you. there aren't a great deal of things to spend your money on when you live on Geoje, most of the fun things are free and you just have to factor in the cost of food and alcohol to create fun night time activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 net86

Ah you're coming to my neck of the woods!! - I was only saying I need more Irish people here because 2 are leaving in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Hello, I'm an the EPIK orientation at the moment.
    It's quite a busy schedule!
    Anyone else from boards at either of the orientations?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Hey everyone. I have a interview on tuesday (by phone) for a school in Daejeon. Any advice from someone who got a job? What kind of things do they want to hear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Hello, I'm an the EPIK orientation at the moment.
    It's quite a busy schedule!
    Anyone else from boards at either of the orientations?

I'm at the one in Seoul.

So I've had my first proper experience of Korean bureaucracy. So I was supposed to be on 2.1m a month due to TEFL cert + one year experience. But today the EPIK coordinator told me that because my proof of teaching experience letter didn't specifically mention that my experience was in a public school/university/IT that it isn't valid. The letter was from the company that employed me in Ireland. We were contracted to work in an IT. The EPIK coordinator told me that the contract is already drawn up and that I won't be eligible for the 2+ pay scale because of this. I'm actually pretty furious about this. My recruiter (Footprints) got this letter weeks ago and told me it was fine. One of the reasons I chose Korea is so I can save for going back to college next year, and this stupid little technicality could cost me nearly 800 euro over the year. I've emailed Footprints anyway but the EPIK coordinator seemed quite adamant that there's nothing that can be done. Anyone have any ideas?

Hey everyone. I have a interview on tuesday (by phone) for a school in Daejeon. Any advice from someone who got a job? What kind of things do they want to hear?

Depends on the questions they may ask. I've been asked different questions by different interviewers.

Some examples

Why do you want to come to Korea
    what is the element of teaching you enjoy most
    how would you deal with a certain class
    do you want to be located rural or urban
    how will you deal with culture shock
    Have you worked with children/teenagers/adults in a teaching environment

Also this is a post to another poster about what may come up in the interview. Each one is different though. You may not be asked any of these questions. I think it's good to prepare a few questions just in case! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73744903&postcount=1893

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I've heard different recommendations....anything from 500 to 1000

I brought money over in dollars (all my family gave me dollars!) and I put money on my o2 money card. I brought about €700 in total and I'm spending next to nothing! I'd say someone that has been here longer would be better able to give a sufficient answer as this is my third day! :D

I'd say you'd need at least 800EUR for your first month. I brought over 800 3 weeks ago and I'm running short already. The health check costs around 80/90,000 won and then there's just the little things you might want to pick up for need for your apartment. You're prob going to be going out a fair bit your first month too and sight seeing etc, those things definitely add up. I'm a veggie, so I spent more on food than the average person would have I'd say, and I spent 70,000 on the gym, but I'd still say at least 700/800. You don't want to be stuck in your apt every wkend for your first month here.

My brother is planning on visiting me with his wife for a week in October for the pan Asian gaelic games. He's coming over from Cambodia with her. He's wondering would he need a special visa or anything to come over or is he issued with something like an automatic 90day visa?

• Advertisement

My brother is planning on visiting me with his wife for a week in October for the pan Asian gaelic games. He's coming over from Cambodia with her. He's wondering would he need a special visa or anything to come over or is he issued with something like an automatic 90day visa?

http://south-korea.visahq.com/requirements/Ireland/resident-Cambodia/

"South Korea tourist visa is not required
    for citizens of Ireland for a stay up to 90 days"

Advertisement