Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 teflteacher

Have been looking into teaching at public schools in Busan, SK.

Came across something about teacher certification, and a validity date...

I'm a primary school teacher-could this be registration with the teaching council?
    i hope not as i didn't register with them cos i'm more likely to get work abroad...

anyone know?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I know both m girlfriend and I were registered with the teaching council shortly after starting our teaching job. I think I read that you need to register within the first three months after starting work, but normally it is down to your employer to do it.

Ask your employer about it, they will require your original degree certs for a few days to register you.

Does that answer your question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 teflteacher

so you registered after starting work in SK?
    that then would have nothing to do with the teaching council in ireland i presume?
    the pay scale for public teaching jobs states that for level 2 pay you need either a bachelor of education or a 100+ hr tefl course.
    since i have both i could just stick with the tefl cert-which would have nothing to do with teaching council.
    I think you've answered my question but i'll ask agency anyway.
    thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Hi all,

I'm heading over to Korea next week and starting orientation for SMOE (Seoul) on the 24th. Is anyone else on the SMOE programme and starting the orientation the same time? Would like to know if any Irish are going to be over there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I've decided that south korea is definitely for me, would January be a good time for jobs? Tigerenglish is the way forward if I'm still in Ireland ya? Can't wait, sick **** of the dole and need something to live for :D

• Advertisement

can anyone help with regards availability of work?

Their is no shortage of TEFL jobs here.
    I initially aimed to be in Korea by January 09, but in the end our contract started in March so I had to wait a short while in Ireland.

Thanks very much for the reply. Did you go through tigerenglish or just fly to korea and sort it from there?

We used Tigerenglish, found them very helpfull.

Nice one, thanks again for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Seriously considering goin to teach english in korea. just wondering . . .
    Is there any any advantage of not using an agency like tiger considering they sort flights and visa out?
    Wats korea like, I don't no all that much about it?
    Iv finished my degree but dont actually graduate 'till October but I already have my results, will this effect me?
    Do people usually go by themselves or is it with gf/bf/friends?
    How much would you need to bring with you?
    Is it possible to get by arriving without knowing the language?

Sorry 4 all the questions any help appreciated!!!!!

tigerenglish and this thread answer pretty much all of those questions, give it a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Baruch

If it's your first time working in Korea you can't just show up here and look for work, you have to arrange a job first, so a recruiter is the way to go. I don't know Tiger English at all, but if they're based in Ireland than it's best to keep the money at home right? Gotta fight that recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Argentine, you said you started in March ya? Are you in a public school? Can you tell me since you started in March is your contract for just 6 months? It seems like opportunities for Sept are gone by now and that one will have to wait til March (for the public schools anyway).

Argentine, you said you started in March ya? Are you in a public school? Can you tell me since you started in March is your contract for just 6 months? It seems like opportunities for Sept are gone by now and that one will have to wait til March (for the public schools anyway).

Yes started in March, but we are in a private school. Shortest contract you will get is 12 months.

Why does it have to be a public school?

Feel it would be better on the cv in terms of getting future teaching jobs. When is your contract up in Korea..march next year?

Feel it would be better on the cv in terms of getting future teaching jobs. When is your contract up in Korea..march next year?

End of February and we will have done out 12 months.
    As far as a public school looking better, I don't know if it would really make a difference.

How long does it take to get the visa process sorted. I'd presume I'm too late for some of the Sept jobs advertised on TigerEnglish?

All the information you need is contained in this thread, have a look at the start of it.

The visa application would take about a month at the very least, maybe it could be rushed but I'm not sure if it can.

Ya I've read the thread and ya thought it would take about a month between the interview at the embassy and all that. How are you finding the job and where abouts are you in Korea? Is the social life decent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

ARGINITE wrote: »
    End of February and we will have done out 12 months.
    As far as a public school looking better, I don't know if it would really make a difference.

I think it does. The private industry is more flexible I think where as the public school has orders coming from the government. For example in a private school they might ask you to teach a class or adults, beginner level and then you say sure and they open that class, advertising around. If there isn't enough interest then it's closed. I think two week holidays are the standard.

With the public school you work less hours, but the management have to find other ways to keep you busy (playing soccer with the kids, going on the school TV teaching, teaching parents, teaching camp, etc) especially during the vacations when you have to be hanging around for months. On the plus side you could get friendly with your boss and get longer holidays but it seems that these are harder to come by nowadays.

Also a public school only considers a private school experience as half a year worth of experience. Well it was like that a few years ago and somehow I don't think it has changed now. Either way both have good and bad points and it depends on what you are going to do in the future.

Most public school contracts start in March, the start of the school year. After that September, the start of the second term, is the next big block. But there are many schools who for whatever reason would want a new teacher, at any time of the year. You could apply to recruiters and specify public schools only, and you'd still get some offers.
    Also, the standard E-2 visa is for 1 year, never 6 months. Nothing to stop you quitting after 6 months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Hey all, am also considering teaching for the yr in South Korea - just qualified as a teacher here and prospects are fairly bleak on the job front so thinking why not! Have one question though that I dont think has been discussed in the thread above (lots of really great info here though, thanks!)
    My question is in relation to holidays you can take during the 12 month contract. I know you are entitled to some, but I was wondering if a school might be put off if i asked in advance to take holidays at a specific time in the year (a week or two together to come home for a friends wedding. Know it will cost a fair whack but am a bridesmaid and can't miss it. However, its not til sept '10 and would rather go around Jan or Feb if poss)
    Any thoughts any of you guys who have worked/are currently working there might have on this subject would be much appreciated :)

I don't think I've met anyone here who was able to choose their own holidays, they are usually decided by the school, and possibly decided at the last minute (or the teachers are told about them pretty late anyway).
    Public schools have a 4-5 week holiday period, and some teachers can choose which of those 2 weeks they get to take off, they have a summer camp for the rest of the time.
    So all in, I'd say it's unlikely you'd get time off for the wedding. Even if you mention it, and the school agrees, there a big chance they'll forget, or just change their minds. I was fired from my first job here, because my boss forgot about my booked holidays, and he freaked out when I didn't show up for work.

+1 for what Baruch said, not much chance that you would be able to get the time off.

You could come over, quit after 6 months, and pay for the ticket home yourself, and then come again after. Honestly, Korea is not for everyone, so there's a good chance you won't want to finish the year here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 honk05

Jst here a couple of weeks now and have to agree wit the above posts! Im workin in a public school and ive a set 2weeks for my winter holidays- thought I was only gettin 1 weeks holiday in summer and 1 week in winter tho according to my contract so delighted to be getting 2! It duz seem uve got to take holidays wen the schools are tho- n the public school system neway and im sure its even worse in hogwans!!

Rats! Oh well, I suspected as much. Will have to go back to the drawing board so. Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Rats! Oh well, I suspected as much. Will have to go back to the drawing board so. Thanks for the advice :)

You could always try for a university position starting in March. Some places have decent holidays typically one to two months a semester. Next month universities will start advertising.

• Advertisement

You could always try for a university position starting in March. Some places have decent holidays typically one to two months a semester. Next month universities will start advertising.

Sounds like an idea! I'll keep my eyes open for those so. Thanks :)

Advertisement