Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

dapto1 wrote: »
    I'm at the one in Seoul.

So I've had my first proper experience of Korean bureaucracy. So I was supposed to be on 2.1m a month due to TEFL cert + one year experience. But today the EPIK coordinator told me that because my proof of teaching experience letter didn't specifically mention that my experience was in a public school/university/IT that it isn't valid. The letter was from the company that employed me in Ireland. We were contracted to work in an IT. The EPIK coordinator told me that the contract is already drawn up and that I won't be eligible for the 2+ pay scale because of this. I'm actually pretty furious about this. My recruiter (Footprints) got this letter weeks ago and told me it was fine. One of the reasons I chose Korea is so I can save for going back to college next year, and this stupid little technicality could cost me nearly 800 euro over the year. I've emailed Footprints anyway but the EPIK coordinator seemed quite adamant that there's nothing that can be done. Anyone have any ideas?
    That's bull****, I hope you get it sorted.
    You should give out stink to Footprints!

Asian gaelic games?
    Say what?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Asian gaelic games?
    Say what?

http://www.2011asiangaelicgames.com/index.html

There are 24 clubs (and over 600 players) from all over Asia and the Middle East competing in this years games. It is being held in Suwon, just outside Seoul. South Korea now has 3 Gaelic Football clubs - Seoul Gaels, Daegu Fianna and Laochra Busan. Both Busan and Daegu are new clubs.

Check out our club on Facebook - BusanGAA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

My brother is coming to Korea to see this! :) Can't wait. The other Irish foreign teachers in my school play for the Seoul Gaels! :)

Does anyone know of anyone who has any spare tickets to the Deagu athletics this weekend? Everything is sold out! :(

• Advertisement

http://www.2011asiangaelicgames.com/index.html

There are 24 clubs (and over 600 players) from all over Asia and the Middle East competing in this years games. It is being held in Suwon, just outside Seoul. South Korea now has 3 Gaelic Football clubs - Seoul Gaels, Daegu Fianna and Laochra Busan. Both Busan and Daegu are new clubs.

Check out our club on Facebook - BusanGAA!

That sounds great!
    You never know I might head to it!

There is a World Music Festival on in Gwangju this weekend! Great start to my Gwangju adventure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

Hello, I'm an the EPIK orientation at the moment.
    It's quite a busy schedule!
    Anyone else from boards at either of the orientations?

hey hyperbaby, how's the orientation going?

I'm currently on a waiting list to see if anyone drops out of the EPIK programme (I was late in applying). What are your first impressions like?

also, do you know what the dress code for EPIK teachers is?

Hi there,
    the orientation finished today so now we have left the EPIK wonderland.
    It was a strange one. Very busy schedule but very like a baby \sitting service too. Not sure how I feel about it!

Regarding dress code, are you male or female?

Hi there,
    the orientation finished today so now we have left the EPIK wonderland.
    It was a strange one. Very busy schedule but very like a baby \sitting service too. Not sure how I feel about it!

Regarding dress code, are you male or female?

male (last time I checked :D)

what was the craic with the orientation, what did it entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Korea next week and wanted to bring a small gift for the director. Does anyone have any idea what would be suitable? Cheers!

• Advertisement

WOW, there are so many posts on this, I'm going to be here all evening.

I want to teach in South Korea for a year or more after I finish my degree. I will finish college in May 2012 and I graduate in September 2012.

From what I've researched the Public School EPIK programmes start in February and August each year.

I'm still looking into other teaching opportunities in Korea. I met someone on holidays from the US and she was teaching Art there.

One small query, I know you can get accepted before you graduate but is there anyway you can fly home for your graduation? I really don't want to miss my graduation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

One small query, I know you can get accepted before you graduate but is there anyway you can fly home for your graduation? I really don't want to miss my graduation!

Not really as it would be very expensive and getting time of could be difficult or near impossible if working in a private school.

actually, does anyone know how the holidays work with EPIK?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seamie89

On the application form for applying for a visa part 8 asks for classification of your passport...hmm anyone know what this is? thanks

seamie89 wrote: »
    On the application form for applying for a visa part 8 asks for classification of your passport...hmm anyone know what this is? thanks

I circled OR for this, as I have an ordinary passport. I think DP is Diplomatic Passport but I'm not too sure what OF stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seamie89

I circled OR for this, as I have an ordinary passport. I think DP is Diplomatic Passport but I'm not too sure what OF stands for.

oh right...thanks a mil for that :)

roosh wrote: »
    male (last time I checked :D)

what was the craic with the orientation, what did it entail?

For teaching i think slacks, tie and a shirt are your best bet. Depends on the school but for first impression this is the way to go. After the first week or two it might be okay to wear casual things but it depends on the school.

The orientation was intense. get brought from the airport by bus then brought to the orientation site and there you are sharing a room with someone. It is a busy scedule. Full with lectures on everything from Classroom management to visual aids to korean history. then korean lessons in the evening and of course some sneaky drinks but not in the dorms only in the bars or outside the convenience store. Also went on a field trip and had an opening and closing ceremony/dinner. Busy week and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Starting in my boys middle school in Incheon tomorrow. I'm far more nervous than I thought I would be!

dapto1 wrote: »
    Starting in my boys middle school in Incheon tomorrow. I'm far more nervous than I thought I would be!

I hope your first day goes well Dapto! It's my first day teaching too. I'm not starting until 2.30 but I'm nervous that I'll do something wrong! I'd say once the first week is over it should be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

The school that I'm going to be working at will be receiving my documents tomorrow, as my recruiter just told me that she received them today and will forward them on tomorrow. :)

I've been told that my next step will be for the school to obtain a visa number for myself, and then I will have to travel to the Korean Consulate/Embassy in Dublin. Does anyone know where exactly this is located?

And, also, can anyone tell me whether it is just the visa number I need for the interview with the Korean Consulate, or would I need any other documents/verification regarding my identity? Would I need to ring them up first and book an appointment, as well, or would it be acceptable to just go up at the specific times/days they do the visa applicants?

• Advertisement

col89 wrote: »
    The school that I'm going to be working at will be receiving my documents tomorrow, as my recruiter just told me that she received them today and will forward them on tomorrow. :)

Congrats Col. Where will you be based?
    I've been told that my next step will be for the school to obtain a visa number for myself, and then I will have to travel to the Korean Consulate/Embassy in Dublin. Does anyone know where exactly this is located?And, also, can anyone tell me whether it is just the visa number I need for the interview with the Korean Consulate, or would I need any other documents/verification regarding my identity?

Yeah, you recieve your visa number and then you can go to the Korean embassy. The address is Clyde road in Ballsbridge. It's one of the roads behind the American embassy. If you are getting the bus get off in Ballsbridge and walk to the American embassy and it's one of the roads verging off to the left. :)

I brought my passport and they asked me to fill out my details on some documents and my passport was taken from me for 5 working days. They took a €40 fee from me. I think that's all I brought (I only did this like 3 weeks ago and I'm having a hard time remembering already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

Congrats Col. Where will you be based?

Yeah, you recieve your visa number and then you can go to the Korean embassy. The address is Clyde road in Ballsbridge. It's one of the roads behind the American embassy. If you are getting the bus get off in Ballsbridge and walk to the American embassy and it's one of the roads verging off to the left. :)

I brought my passport and they asked me to fill out my details on some documents and my passport was taken from me for 5 working days. They took a €40 fee from me. I think that's all I brought (I only did this like 3 weeks ago and I'm having a hard time remembering already!)

Thanks squeakyduck, I'll be based in Jangseungpo, Geoje Island, so I'm also checking out what would be in or near the area, but from what I've heard from the teacher I'm in touch with it sounds good. :)

Cheers for the information and the heads up on the Korean Embassy. The school is wanting me to fly out on the 14th but I might not make it for then if the embassy wants to take my passport for five working days, as the school in Korea would have only received all of my documents today and would be preparing for my visa number, which I was told would take about 7 days first. It sounds tight, even just typing it out! :o

I've heard that Jangseungpo is very scenic but not great on the night-life. Does anyone have some first hand experience on the place, if they ever visited it or lived there? I have these fantasies of curling up beside a nice book on a beautiful beach on the odd weekend, just chilling out from the kids. :P

When I was getting my visa, I rang the embassy, the girl told me all that I needed so I would do that just in case, I don't think I needed anything else.

It does sound tight but it could be done! :) It didn't take long for my visa number to arrive about a week and I got it on a Sunday and I went about my visa on the Wednesday, got the visa the next Wednesday and few out the Thursday. It can be a rushed affair.

hey hyperbaby, how's the orientation going?

I'm currently on a waiting list to see if anyone drops out of the EPIK programme (I was late in applying). What are your first impressions like?

also, do you know what the dress code for EPIK teachers is?

The dress code for EPIK varies from school to school. Generally speaking they aren't overly picky about what you wear. I teach in a tiny rural school on the edge of Busan so I can pretty much wear what I want. Some schools will expect you to wear a shirt and slacks but for the most part as long as you look semi-smart then they don't care. Wear a shirt for the first few days and you'll be able to suss it out.

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Korea next week and wanted to bring a small gift for the director. Does anyone have any idea what would be suitable? Cheers!

Something Irish, like a bottle of Irish whiskey or Irish chocolates will go down well. It doesn't have to be anything too expensive.

actually, does anyone know how the holidays work with EPIK?

I get 18 holidays and can take 10 in Winter and 8 in Summer. The holidays usually fall around the mid-end of January and the mid-end of August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I've heard that Jangseungpo is very scenic but not great on the night-life. Does anyone have some first hand experience on the place, if they ever visited it or lived there? I have these fantasies of curling up beside a nice book on a beautiful beach on the odd weekend, just chilling out from the kids. :P

Ask anything you want, myself and Cassi first moved there at the start of 2007 and finally left, for good, in March this year.

there is an abundance of beaches on Geoje, it'll start getting cold in November, so you might have to wait until april/may to spend your time there with a book....unless you do it with a jacket and some gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Cheers for the information and the heads up on the Korean Embassy. The school is wanting me to fly out on the 14th but I might not make it for then if the embassy wants to take my passport for five working days, as the school in Korea would have only received all of my documents today and would be preparing for my visa number, which I was told would take about 7 days first. It sounds tight, even just typing it out!

I'm sure I got mine all done in 2 days, if my memory serves me correctly.
    Hey guys,

Just came back 2weeks ago from Ireland and brought back some Cadburys (that I bought on Thomas St - really good price), Guinness toffees, Butlers chocolates, an Irish music CD and a book of all Irish party songs (or ballads). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Hey! I had an interview with a recruitment agency about 4 weeks ago. I just about had all my docs ready, including my CRC, so they said I should be gone by the end of Sept. Now, they said they don't have any jobs at the moment in my desired location, Seoul. I replied saying any big city would do, just let me know.

I'm ready to go and quit my job last week (it was the end of a 4 week notice period). Now I'm freaked?! Would it be mad cheeky to go with a different recruitment agency?

The one I'm with is Footprints, was recommended it by a friend who used it and have heard it on here a bit so I know it's good!

• Advertisement

Elba101 wrote: »
    Hey! I had an interview with a recruitment agency about 4 weeks ago. I just about had all my docs ready, including my CRC, so they said I should be gone by the end of Sept. Now, they said they don't have any jobs at the moment in my desired location, Seoul. I replied saying any big city would do, just let me know.

I'm ready to go and quit my job last week (it was the end of a 4 week notice period). Now I'm freaked?! Would it be mad cheeky to go with a different recruitment agency?

The one I'm with is Footprints, was recommended it by a friend who used it and have heard it on here a bit so I know it's good!

Better yet, sign up with 20 recruiters! Their job is to get you the job that you want so you hold all the cards. They get paid when they place you in a school so it's in their interest to it quickly. Don't settle for something that you're not totally happy with.

When I started applying I used 1 recruiter. Got very few job offers. I then took someone's advice and signed up with 30+ and I'm still getting offers from some of them, over a year later. Once you have all of your documents ready you shouldn't have to wait very long to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If you are going for private colleges (hagwons) you should sign up with a few recruiters. Get them working for you and you'll not be waiting long for a job.

If you want a public school job however, going through more than one recruiter for a particular area disqualifies you. So be careful in that regard.

Don't be so eager to get Seoul. I was and am here now and it's too big. Very hard to get around and hang out with people. The subway system is good but the city is so large that it takes ages to get anywhere. I'd say go for Busan. Was down there for a weekend and it seemed alright. Fresher air too. And it's no spring chicken - it has a population of around 4 million as far as I know.

Or even smaller places can be great craic too as all the teachers in that area know each other and hang out each evening. Not possible here in Seoul, for me anyway.

Another thing to remember is, if you work in a public school, chances are that you will be the only foreign teacher there. But with hagwons, there could 10 to 15 foreign teachers working together so making friends is MUCH easier. But the holidays aren't nearly as good as public school. So you need to weigh up the pros and cons.

Don't panic, you could be on the plane in 2 weeks. Just sign up with loads of recruiters. When you get the names of a few type the following into google:

eslcafe.com forums name of recruiter

That'll bring up people's experiences with the recruiter.

I've been here in Nonsan (논산) in Chungcheongnam-Do for 15months now and I've gotten to know a good few people around here. There is easily 30+ English teachers (lecturers) here in hagwons, public schools and the local university.

We've gotten to know other groups of people in other areas that are near by or from people who meet others from the same education group like EPIC, TALK etc.

This week we have about 6+ new TALK scholars coming to Nonsan, so we are having dak galbi, then heading out to a hof and maybe some place to dance afterwards.

Nonsan has a population of about 100,000+ and my Korean friend who lives in Seoul said it's the 'countryside', but this place is huge to where I lived back in Ireland (Greystones).

The dress code for EPIK varies from school to school. Generally speaking they aren't overly picky about what you wear. I teach in a tiny rural school on the edge of Busan so I can pretty much wear what I want. Some schools will expect you to wear a shirt and slacks but for the most part as long as you look semi-smart then they don't care. Wear a shirt for the first few days and you'll be able to suss it out.
    I get 18 holidays and can take 10 in Winter and 8 in Summer. The holidays usually fall around the mid-end of January and the mid-end of August.

cheers SP

Something Irish, like a bottle of Irish whiskey or Irish chocolates will go down well. It doesn't have to be anything too expensive.
    red_bairn wrote: »
    I'm sure I got mine all done in 2 days, if my memory serves me correctly.

Just came back 2weeks ago from Ireland and brought back some Cadburys (that I bought on Thomas St - really good price), Guinness toffees, Butlers chocolates, an Irish music CD and a book of all Irish party songs (or ballads). :D

Thanks guys...I'm over here at the moment and ended up getting a bottle of Jameson for the director and some chocolates for the teachers. I'm going to bring them to the school on Friday.

Just out of interest, did anyone have to bring their original degree with them? I didn't bring mine, but the school now wants it and I have to get it sent over. Also, has anyone heard of having to get a police check by the Korean police because you work with kids? My co-teacher never had to give his degree or get a police check, but I've been told I have to do both.

Cheers!

Thanks guys...I'm over here at the moment and ended up getting a bottle of Jameson for the director and some chocolates for the teachers. I'm going to bring them to the school on Friday.

Just out of interest, did anyone have to bring their original degree with them? I didn't bring mine, but the school now wants it and I have to get it sent over. Also, has anyone heard of having to get a police check by the Korean police because you work with kids? My co-teacher never had to give his degree or get a police check, but I've been told I have to do both.

Cheers!

I had to send my original degree over (including my dip) and other forms (contract, garda check etc). So yeah, these things are always requested for native speakers.

But it's much harder for people in countries like S.Africa because it takes 6months to do a police check...I'd hate that.

• Advertisement

Cheers!

In public schools you don't need to bring your original. Once you send over your apostilled degree, the office of education keep it on file. I brought mine over with me but have never needed to show it to anyone.

The Korean police check is new as far as I'm aware. It's basically just signing a form that gives them consent to check you out. It's not a big deal. They only asked me to sign it about a month ago. I think all foreign teachers are now required to get their fingerprints takes aswell, so you will probably be asked to do that at some stage.

I'm in a hagwon, so they might not have kept in on file!

Also, does anyone know where I could pick up a travel adaptor in the Seoul area? I brought the wrong type with me. I'm in Osan, but would travel a bit to get one if necessary!

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Cat Weasel,

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get one in Techno Mart in Gangbyeon. Line 2, the last stop before the Han river southbound.

It's a massive building where they sell nothing but electronics.

kraggy wrote: »
    Cat Weasel,

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get one in Techno Mart in Gangbyeon. Line 2, the last stop before the Han river southbound.

It's a massive building where they sell nothing but electronics.

or Yongsan Electronics Market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Never ever send your original degree. It is not needed for any job and should not be requested by potential employers.

The notarised and apostilled degree is a legal document and is all that is needed. If you send your original, it might not be accepted, might get lost or might not be given back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Great to see this thread is doing well and that so many of us are over in Korea!

Can anyonerecommend good recruiters? I'm with Footprints but they said they don't have anything that I want right now. I applied to other recruiters and nothing. Put my CV up on Dave's and got a load of replys, but it's hard to tell the good from the bad. Help would be well appreciated!

ekevosu wrote: »
    Never ever send your original degree. It is not needed for any job and should not be requested by potential employers.

The notarised and apostilled degree is a legal document and is all that is needed. If you send your original, it might not be accepted, might get lost or might not be given back.

I sent mine and got mine back with no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

red_bairn wrote:

I sent mine and got mine back with no bother.

that's why I wrote might in my reply. Look online and you'll find plenty of people who had problems and never got it back. Missing the point though. Notarised and apostilled is all that's needed. Why take the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hells Kitchen

Elba101 wrote: »
    Can anyonerecommend good recruiters? I'm with Footprints but they said they don't have anything that I want right now. I applied to other recruiters and nothing. Put my CV up on Dave's and got a load of replys, but it's hard to tell the good from the bad. Help would be well appreciated!

Use recruiters as simply an introduction to schools. It's then up to you to find out what the school is like by talking to current teachers. Most recruiters just want their cut and would put you in any crappy school. So sign up with as many recruiters as possible.

I did the same as you and posted my CV on daves and i got my job in Seoul through one of the agencies that replied.

Sorry guys, just to clarify, my original degree is not for visa purposes. I was told it was needed to register me as a teacher over here. I hadn't heard of this before, and was wondering if anyone else had been asked for their original degree by a hagwon.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, I really appreciate it :)

Sorry guys, just to clarify, my original degree is not for visa purposes. I was told it was needed to register me as a teacher over here. I hadn't heard of this before, and was wondering if anyone else had been asked for their original degree by a hagwon.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, I really appreciate it :)

I had to do so and I currently have it in my possession. I'm with the franchise hagwon GnB:

http://www.gnbenglish.com/html/11_company/introduce/greeting.php

Use recruiters as simply an introduction to schools. It's then up to you to find out what the school is like by talking to current teachers. Most recruiters just want their cut and would put you in any crappy school. So sign up with as many recruiters as possible.

I did the same as you and posted my CV on daves and i got my job in Seoul through one of the agencies that replied.

Thanks! I signed up to a few but it's hard to know which ones are good to use. I've been offered a job but it's 2-10 or 12-8 and I really don't want those hours! I'll just keep looking!

red_bairn wrote: »
    I had to do so and I currently have it in my possession. I'm with the franchise hagwon GnB:

http://www.gnbenglish.com/html/11_company/introduce/greeting.php

Snap!!! I'm working at a GnB!

Snap!!! I'm working at a GnB!

Where are you again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement