Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

Cheers for the earlier replies, guys.

I'm going to be working at a GnB school, as well, as it happens! It seems that it's a popular school choice among Boarders. I have to say that my school does look a bit cramped, and I've been told that I'll have to buy a few of my own resources, but neither of these things bother me too much since I want to gain the experience and see what it's like for myself.

Just wondering, does anyone think 500 or 600 euro would be enough to bring over on an O2 Money Card, just to tie me over until my first salary comes through the following month? This might sound like a stupid question, but does Korea take Western cards for spending and/or topping up? Or, would it be recommended to open a Korean bank account upon arrival?

I've one last thing to ask, if anyone would be able to answer this question for me: Is there any essentials that should be brought over? I'm sure I heard something about deodorant and limited stocking over there, or something to that effect. But would it be recommended to bring over a full case of deodorant or any other items? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

col89 wrote: »
    Just wondering, does anyone think 500 or 600 euro would be enough to bring over on an O2 Money Card
    A what?
    We brought cash wish we had brought more as we found it hard to find an ATM machine that would accept our bank cards.

ARGINITE wrote: »
    A what?
    We brought cash wish we had brought more as we found it hard to find an ATM machine that would accept our bank cards.

An O2 Money Card - it's like a substitute for a credit card.

Are ATM machines not common in Korea? Would it be best to get your currency changed at the airport or at one of the banks (just in regards to getting the most of your money's worth)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Cheers for the earlier replies, guys.

I'm going to be working at a GnB school, as well, as it happens! It seems that it's a popular school choice among Boarders. I have to say that my school does look a bit cramped, and I've been told that I'll have to buy a few of my own resources, but neither of these things bother me too much since I want to gain the experience and see what it's like for myself.

Just wondering, does anyone think 500 or 600 euro would be enough to bring over on an O2 Money Card, just to tie me over until my first salary comes through the following month? This might sound like a stupid question, but does Korea take Western cards for spending and/or topping up? Or, would it be recommended to open a Korean bank account upon arrival?

I've one last thing to ask, if anyone would be able to answer this question for me: Is there any essentials that should be brought over? I'm sure I heard something about deodorant and limited stocking over there, or something to that effect. But would it be recommended to bring over a full case of deodorant or any other items? :P

I think I had over 2000euro when I went over. Some of it was on my BoI credit card and the rest was changed to Won, which I got over in Ireland before I left. I think 800euro should cover you for anything you might want to buy for your apartment, in case some things aren't there. You should get a quarter of your airfare refunded by the boss within 1-2 weeks of starting. So that should also help you out.

Your boss will help you to get a phone and open a bank account. You won't be able to top up on those cards here. You'll get a cash card when you open the account and you can lodge money in the atm's here! Don't worry - they have plenty of them here. :D

If I were you, I'd brink some lovely Irish teabags (200pack - single bags), deodorant, shower gel and adapters for any electronics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I brought over 300e on an o2 money card and I think it was one of my smarter ideas. I buy my train tickets via credit card and pick it up at the station! :) I bought my daegu athletics tickets via credit card too. I find it makes things so much easier. You can also top up the card via your internet banking. You will need a code card to do that but that can be easily sorted.

I've not tried my O2 card to pay for anything but if you do run out of money I use they citybank ATM's its the only atm I've been able to take money out of my Irish account with over here!

I brought over 300e on an o2 money card and I think it was one of my smarter ideas. I buy my train tickets via credit card and pick it up at the station! :) I bought my daegu athletics tickets via credit card too. I find it makes things so much easier. You can also top up the card via your internet banking. You will need a code card to do that but that can be easily sorted.

I've not tried my O2 card to pay for anything but if you do run out of money I use they citybank ATM's its the only atm I've been able to take money out of my Irish account with over here!

You can also withdraw money with your c/c but you may get charged a bit. I'm not sure if using the o2 card works the same way.

red_bairn wrote: »
    You can also withdraw money with your c/c but you may get charged a bit. I'm not sure if using the o2 card works the same way.

I think it does work in the same way. When I used my atm card in the city bank atm it told me that they were gonna charge me 3000 won for the transaction but I took out a good bit of money to tide me over the next while! :) Gonna try and not touch my wages for as long as possible! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

+ 1 on the adapter...maybe bring a universal one, and one of those multi-plug extension cords. I brought over a large bath towel, because I'd heard that the Korean ones are tiny. If the one left for me in my apartment is anything to go by, they are!

+ 1 on the adapter...maybe bring a universal one, and one of theose multi-plug extension cords. I brought over a large bath towel, because I'd heard that the Korean ones are tiny. If the one left for me in my apartment is anything to go by, they are!

Not true. They have large ones in HP (Samsung & Tesco owned) and CostCo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Not true. They have large ones in HP (Samsung & Tesco owned) and CostCo.

Didn't know that...I could have saved myself some luggage space :(

is anyone doing anything nice for Chuseok?

is anyone doing anything nice for Chuseok?

Nothing in particular. Wanna get a gathering of Irish folk set up in the Wolfhound in Itaewon on Saturday?

Nothing in particular. Wanna get a gathering of Irish folk set up in the Wolfhound in Itaewon on Saturday?

Totally! :) The 10th or the 17th. I saw a big fun night for the Wolfhound in Busan on the 17th looks like fun! I'm only dying for a boards meet over here! :D

Next worry....how the hell do I get to Itaewon?! :P

Totally! :) The 10th or the 17th. I saw a big fun night for the Wolfhound in Busan on the 17th looks like fun! I'm only dying for a boards meet over here! :D

Next worry....how the hell do I get to Itaewon?! :P

Oh, Busan for the 17th. Interested.

Well Itaewon is a (foreigner) neighbourhood in the district of Yongsan (gu). You can get a train to Yongsan from pretty much any major city and get a a taxi ride to Itaewon or get the subway for feck all.

My number is 010-7773-2884 (Craig), if anybody is interested in a meet up.

Oh, Busan for the 17th. Interested.

Well Itaewon is a (foreigner) neighbourhood in the district of Yongsan (gu). You can get a train to Yongsan from pretty much any major city and get a a taxi ride to Itaewon or get the subway for feck all.

My number is 010-7773-2884 (Craig), if anybody is interested in a meet up.

Only a spring chicken here no mobile number here yet. Well I may be able to get a prepay number tomorrow if I'm lucky....Only applied to the Immigration office for my ARC today. It was crazy to say the least

• Advertisement

Only a spring chicken here no mobile number here yet. Well I may be able to get a prepay number tomorrow if I'm lucky....Only applied to the Immigration office for my ARC today. It was crazy to say the least

lol, k, where you living?

lol, k, where you living?

Osan city. There are a few expats that may be interested, I will let them know! :) Definately want to venture to Seoul around that weekend or so! :) How long have you been in Korea?

Osan city. There are a few expats that may be interested, I will let them know! :) Definately want to venture to Seoul around that weekend or so! :) How long have you been in Korea?

15months.

15months.

Did you resign with the same school? You must know all the ropes then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 king_crisps

Hey,

Just wondering if anybody knows anything about Cony Evans school in Songdo, Incheon? Myself and the girlfriend are in Dublin at the moment but hoping to head to South Korea asap to teach for a while. She's just been offered a contract with a different school in the area and I have a phone interview with the one above in the next couple of days hopefully, so any info about the school, city etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Did you resign with the same school? You must know all the ropes then!

Same hagwon. I'm trying a bit at the auld language but need to get right into speaking to really get going. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brandy and baileys

Hello,

Hoping someone could give me advice on a contract for a teaching position in Incheon, outside Seoul. Salary is 2,3 mil, working hours about 40 a week, 23-27 teaching hours. Has all the other usual perks. Sounds good so far but, only 7 days holidays (that are chosen by the school), and overtime pay of 10,000 won per hour. Supposedly I won't be doing any overtime so that doesn't apply to me.
    Want to move over asap but wondering if I should wait for a better option, or is this standard, I've already been looking for about a month?

Cheers for any advice.

Hello,

Hoping someone could give me advice on a contract for a teaching position in Incheon, outside Seoul. Salary is 2,3 mil, working hours about 40 a week, 23-27 teaching hours. Has all the other usual perks. Sounds good so far but, only 7 days holidays (that are chosen by the school), and overtime pay of 10,000 won per hour. Supposedly I won't be doing any overtime so that doesn't apply to me.
    Want to move over asap but wondering if I should wait for a better option, or is this standard, I've already been looking for about a month?

Cheers for any advice.

40 a week...then you have 23-27... ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brandy and baileys

40 a week...then you have 23-27... ;(

Sorry, I meant 23-27 teaching hours, 40 approx total working hours. What do you think?

Sorry, I meant 23-27 teaching hours, 40 approx total working hours. What do you think?

40 seems a lot per week. A regular school teacher would have about 35, including Ireland and the UK. But 23 -27 would be a normal week for a hagwon.

The things that stand out for me the most is the 7days holidays and the overtime rate being pretty poor.

My overtime is 20000 per hour and 10 days holidays. Did you do a google search for the school yet? Try and check blacklists too. I was almost roped into a few dodgy schools by other recruiters. I would try and talk to a foreign teacher at the school to get some more information too.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Hey guys!

If you are looking for something to do over the next few weeks we are having a big night out in the Wolfhound in Haeundae on the 17th! Ireland vs Australia in the rugby world cup at 5pm, speed dating after that, and a flip cup competition at 9/9:30ish. It's a "6 months to Paddy's day" type thing (any excuse, right?!). Should be a right laugh and it's looking like it will be a very busy weekend!

Hey guys!

If you are looking for something to do over the next few weeks we are having a big night out in the Wolfhound in Haeundae on the 17th! Ireland vs Australia in the rugby world cup at 5pm, speed dating after that, and a flip cup competition at 9/9:30ish. It's a "6 months to Paddy's day" type thing (any excuse, right?!). Should be a right laugh and it's looking like it will be a very busy weekend!

I'm giving serious consideration to this. I might head down midweek and try and get a hostel or something! :) I would like to see Busan! Are you willing to be a tour guide SpatialPlanning. I owe you a pint from all the deadly info you gave me a few months ago! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Am I the only Irish person in the city of Gwangju?
    Actually i met a man who owns the Irish bar and he is from Galway but that's it so far.
    Anyone coming to Gwangju for a visit?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Am I the only Irish person in the city of Gwangju?
    Actually i met a man who owns the Irish bar and he is from Galway but that's it so far.
    Anyone coming to Gwangju for a visit?

I'd be up for a visit sometime! :D

• Advertisement

I'd be up for a visit sometime! :D

Was there only once, but would be nice to hit up the town again.

I think I had over 2000euro when I went over. Some of it was on my BoI credit card and the rest was changed to Won, which I got over in Ireland before I left. I think 800euro should cover you for anything you might want to buy for your apartment, in case some things aren't there. You should get a quarter of your airfare refunded by the boss within 1-2 weeks of starting. So that should also help you out.

Your boss will help you to get a phone and open a bank account. You won't be able to top up on those cards here. You'll get a cash card when you open the account and you can lodge money in the atm's here! Don't worry - they have plenty of them here. :D

If I were you, I'd brink some lovely Irish teabags (200pack - single bags), deodorant, shower gel and adapters for any electronics.

Thanks for both of these replies!

I wouldn't have enough money to bring over 2000e, but I'm hoping that 600-700 would be enough to tie me over for the next month, or else I might have to resort to begging random folk on Geoje Island. :P

So, I think the best thing for me to do is to put some money on an O2 Money Card and also to take some cash with me - perhaps 50:50? If I ever get stuck for cash, I'll try to find one of the appropriate ATMs and take some out from there!

I've also taken note of teabags, large towels, deodorant, shower gel, and adapters. :) I'm sure there are a couple of other things that I might need to bring which I've probably forgotten, but I'll rack my brain later on this week after my graduation and hopefully I'll be able to remind myself of any further essentials. :P

I'm still pinching myself that this is finally happening! I'm so excited but very nervous, too, because I've never traveled alone. I know that it'll probably be a very lonely experience at first, for anyone who has traveled out alone, but I'm sure the times do get better after a while when you go out and make new friends, gain some good experiences, etc. :)

I'm still pinching myself that this is finally happening! I'm so excited but very nervous, too, because I've never traveled alone. I know that it'll probably be a very lonely experience at first, for anyone who has traveled out alone, but I'm sure the times do get better after a while when you go out and make new friends, gain some good experiences, etc. :)

This is the first time I'm travelling and living alone. It is quite an adventure but you've got friends here anyway! :) if you are ever up North (of South Korea) giz a shout! :)

True true. I met people within 2-3 weeks of arriving here. I've travelled to Australia on my own to see my friends in Sydney but this was also another big trip for me because I was moving away from home for the first time (excluding college).

This is the first time I'm travelling and living alone. It is quite an adventure but you've got friends here anyway! :) if you are ever up North (of South Korea) giz a shout! :)

Yeah, when you get a phone let us know. I'm sure some of us can meet you some time.

I will do, definitely! And likewise if you're ever visiting Geoje. :) Where abouts in the North are you based?

It's quite daring to go travelling and working in a new country all on your own, especially to one with a foreign language and the extra obstacles that may come with it, but some might say that people like us are just highly ambitious. :P

Hopefully a few of the Boarders can arrange a meet-up sometime later this year!

I will do, definitely! And likewise if you're ever visiting Geoje. :) Where abouts in the North are you based?

I'm north Easty.....I'm living in Osan just outside Seoul. :)

Anybody going to Global Gathering?

I'm giving serious consideration to this. I might head down midweek and try and get a hostel or something! :) I would like to see Busan! Are you willing to be a tour guide SpatialPlanning. I owe you a pint from all the deadly info you gave me a few months ago! :)

No problem! If you end up down this way then get in touch and I'd be more than happy to show you around!

Here's the link for the facebook event... http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=213206272068774

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jose55

hey everyone,

this is my first time posting here. I have just received an offer for an interview for a job at Gyeonggi English Villiage Ansan Camp, 2.2-2.3 mil won.

Does anybody know anything good or bad about the school or the city/area? any advice hints or tips greatly appreciated.

I think I'd prefer a bigger city, but maybe this place is ok?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Hi guys.

I am currently finishing up a 140 hour online TEFL course with i-to-i. I intend to work in Busan, as my girlfriend is from there. I just wanted to ask the ESL teachers over in Busan/Korea, how unlikely is it that I will be able to find work with only the online i-to-i course under my belt. I cannot afford to do one of the more expensive CELT style courses, however I have been reading some very worrying posts on this site that suggest the course I am doing is worth diddly-squat and will not get me a job. Yet I know of one or two people who are over there teaching, and only have a degree; no TEFL 'experience'. So what is the current reality over in S.Korea/Busan?

I haven't done anything regarding acquiring a visa yet, or getting a criminal background check, so I think that better be my next port of call; I've had to do it before for a JET interview; and waiting on the police to supply you with a single piece of paper is... yeah. More time consuming that it should be.

What kind of a visa should I be applying for? I'm 27, and a college graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Anybody going to Global Gathering?

More than likely.

Tickets are only 88,000 if you buy them before 16th September. 110,000 after that I think.

Not sure what the line-up is yet though.

Andy!! wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I am currently finishing up a 140 hour online TEFL course with i-to-i. I intend to work in Busan, as my girlfriend is from there. I just wanted to ask the ESL teachers over in Busan/Korea, how unlikely is it that I will be able to find work with only the online i-to-i course under my belt. I cannot afford to do one of the more expensive CELT style courses, however I have been reading some very worrying posts on this site that suggest the course I am doing is worth diddly-squat and will not get me a job. Yet I know of one or two people who are over there teaching, and only have a degree; no TEFL 'experience'. So what is the current reality over in S.Korea/Busan?

I haven't done anything regarding acquiring a visa yet, or getting a criminal background check, so I think that better be my next port of call; I've had to do it before for a JET interview; and waiting on the police to supply you with a single piece of paper is... yeah. More time consuming that it should be.

That will do. I'm in a hagwon job but I'm sure people have got into public schools with the same qualification. Tbh, just a degree would be diddly-squat imo. Dude, i-to-i can set you up with a job there. Ask them for a placement in the Busan area.

Don't worry too much about those forms until you've been asked to process them by the middleman. Well, unless you want to sort out the Garda check...but I was pretty much doing all that a few weeks before leaving for Korea.

kraggy wrote: »
    More than likely.

Tickets are only 88,000 if you buy them before 16th September. 110,000 after that I think.

Not sure what the line-up is yet though.

http://globalgatheringkorea.co.kr/

[Line up at the top there.]

Andy!! wrote: »
    Hi guys.

A CELT course is way above and beyond what you need to teach here and if you have one you will still have no advantage over a teacher with a TEFL.

A TEFL course is unnecessary but will bump you up 1 pay grade in the public school system. It also 'might' be of use to you if you have never taught before. When people say that a TEFL is worth 'diddly-squat', they just mean that they found it of little use in the classroom.

So, the reality is that a TEFL/CELT will give you little leverage, if any, with a potential employer.

Gathering your documents wont take long. You will need;
    • College Transcripts (In a signed and sealed envelope - usually takes between 2-5 days. Cost - 10 euro for me)
    • Police check with apostille (Takes 3-5 days - you only need the police certificate of character, NOT the full background check from Thurles. Free but apostille from DFA is 20euro)
    • Notarised and apostilled copy of your degree (Notarise it at a commissioner of oaths/solicitor 10euro, apostille from the Dept. of Foreign Affairs 20 euro)
    So you COULD have all your docs together in a week or 10 days...

The visa you will need is an E2 visa. Your recruiter will sort all of that out for you. If you want to be placed in Busan quickly then just sign up with loads of recruiters, tell them what you want and that you have your documents ready, and wait!

Your recruiter will sort all of that out for you. If you want to be placed in Busan quickly then just sign up with loads of recruiters, tell them what you want and that you have your documents ready, and wait!

That or the OP can go through i-to-i for the 'free service', but yeah, try yourself to look for something first maybe.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Thanks guys, you've put my mind at rest :) Maybe I'll see you over there for a pint in the next few months :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Hey, so is the meet-up at the Wolfhound happening on Saturday? I keep meaning to go to one of these things, but haven't made it so far.

What time are people planning on meeting up?

Cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

What have peoples experiences been with EPIK? Me and my girlfriend are planning on going next September and would like to work in public schools. Is it very competiitive? Also obviously we dont expect to be placed in the same school but could we end up being placed very far apart? I know that Seoul is quite big so this could be a problem. Any advice on this, or any other general advice.

Hey, so is the meet-up at the Wolfhound happening on Saturday? I keep meaning to go to one of these things, but haven't made it so far.

What time are people planning on meeting up?

Cheers :-)

I'm up for it. 8pm @ Wolfhound.

If anybody else is, please post up that you'll come y0.

I'll be in Seoul on Sat anyway so I shall be in the area.:)
    FCUM wrote: »
    What have peoples experiences been with EPIK? Me and my girlfriend are planning on going next September and would like to work in public schools. Is it very competiitive? Also obviously we dont expect to be placed in the same school but could we end up being placed very far apart? I know that Seoul is quite big so this could be a problem. Any advice on this, or any other general advice.

A mate of mine, who lived in my city, had to travel 1.5hrs to Gwangju to meet his girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

I'm up for it. 8pm @ Wolfhound.

If anybody else is, please post up that you'll come y0.

I'll be in Seoul on Sat anyway so I shall be in the area.:)

A mate of mine, who lived in my city, had to travel 1.5hrs to Gwangju to meet his girlfriend.
    did he joint apply mate? or do you know anyone who did?

FCUM wrote: »
    did he joint apply mate? or do you know anyone who did?

He did. I don't know of any other people who have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement