Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The medical cover here doesn't cover you for everything. Just the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 net86

Fellow Irish in Seoul - need your help asap!!

A few of us from Geoje are going up to Seoul this week to Hongdae area tomorrow until Monday. Slight problem in the fact that they didnt book a place for me to stay. Have tried a few places and they are all booked out.

Basically asking if you know of any places that might be available cause dont really wana go all that way and be stuck without anywhere to stay. Or whether you think it would be okay to try and sort it out once i get there?? thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

net86 wrote: »

A few of us from Geoje are going up to Seoul this week to Hongdae area tomorrow until Monday. Slight problem in the fact that they didnt book a place for me to stay. Have tried a few places and they are all booked out.

Basically asking if you know of any places that might be available cause dont really wana go all that way and be stuck without anywhere to stay. Or whether you think it would be okay to try and sort it out once i get there?? thanks guys

There are motels all over the place. I'm sure you can find one within a short taxi ride from Hongdae, if you can't find one in that particular area.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

net86 wrote: »

Sinchon is 1 stop from Hongdae. The Busan GAA team stayed in a hostel there about 3 weeks ago called Guesthouse Alpha. It's on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/BusanGAA/#!/alpha.guesthouse1
    It's a nice small place and he usually has spare beds. The owner is a nice guy too. I think the cost is around 18k per night..

Email - alphaseoul@gmail.com
    Phone number - tel#: 011-3814966 ask for younghee or 02-3620970

Even if you don't stay at this 1 there are loads of other motels and hostels in the same area so you shouldn't have a problem finding 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Galway1987

To the Irish in Seoul now. I recently got a mobile phone but texts are not being received back home in Galway... any ideas?? Also, the family are unable to ring my phone. Maybe I've the code wrong. Cheers in advance.

Sinchon is 1 stop from Hongdae. The Busan GAA team stayed in a hostel there about 3 weeks ago called Guesthouse Alpha. It's on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/BusanGAA/#!/alpha.guesthouse1
    It's a nice small place and he usually has spare beds. The owner is a nice guy too. I think the cost is around 18k per night..

Email - alphaseoul@gmail.com
    Phone number - tel#: 011-3814966 ask for younghee or 02-3620970

Even if you don't stay at this 1 there are loads of other motels and hostels in the same area so you shouldn't have a problem finding 1.

Good price! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Galway1987 wrote: »
    To the Irish in Seoul now. I recently got a mobile phone but texts are not being received back home in Galway... any ideas?? Also, the family are unable to ring my phone. Maybe I've the code wrong. Cheers in advance.

I'm not sure if texts work, I know when I had to ring of a mobile to Ireland (almost five years ago) it required me to call a number to get an outside of korea line (think it was 005 or something, though I can't for the life of me remember) then I had to use 00353. So I don't know if texts will work.

As for receiving, I think the code for korea is 0082, then drop the first 0 of your number.

You could always just text them from skype or from your 02,vodafone, meteor webstexts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

does anyone know if the Lycamobile sim cards work (or work well) in Korea?

cloneslad wrote: »
    I'm not sure if texts work, I know when I had to ring of a mobile to Ireland (almost five years ago) it required me to call a number to get an outside of korea line (think it was 005 or something, though I can't for the life of me remember) then I had to use 00353. So I don't know if texts will work.

As for receiving, I think the code for korea is 0082, then drop the first 0 of your number.

You could always just text them from skype or from your 02,vodafone, meteor webstexts.

I haven't been able to receive text messages. The number you add is 001 + (mobile number or house number without the "0" at the beginning). It will be an extra charge by KT, and they aren't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

I haven't been able to receive text messages. The number you add is 001 + (mobile number or house number without the "0" at the beginning). It will be an extra charge by KT, and they aren't cheap.

There're a few numbers that can be used to make calls internationally 001 is KT, 002 is LG, 005 is good for land line where the carrier is KT and your phone is connected through broadband. Its all a matter of finding which is cheaper for you. From a mobile its not cheap, you could get an international calling card and they can be good value. I dont think generally texts to abroad work, you might be able to join a plan that allows it but im not sure.
    does anyone know if the Lycamobile sim cards work (or work well) in Korea?

Im pretty sure it won't work. Korea has a closed network for mobiles, I think 3g might work but other foreign sims don't.

• Advertisement

does anyone know of any reasonably priced hotels around ICN airport? I'm trying to find flights that will get me to ICN for a specific time, but it looks like it might just be easier to stay in a hotel for a night.

a few of questions here, related to the actual teaching side of things.

1) Has anyone here done the CELTA and also taught with EPIK? just wondering if there were any differences in how the techniques would be applied; do class sizes change the approach?

2) Anyone taught with EPIK have any insight into the use of pairwork in class; would class sizes inhibit this, or is it not an issue?

3) General question on giving homework; how in the name of god do you know what to give as homework??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 the_antagonist

Galway1987 wrote: »

Texts don't work.

Say your korean number is like so; 010 1234 1234 then your family should be calling 0082 10 1234 1234.

Do you have a smart phone ? get skype or better yet, viber or kakao talk for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 the_antagonist

red_bairn wrote: »

00700 + 353 + Your number.

00700 is slightly cheaper than 001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Texts don't work.

Say your korean number is like so; 010 1234 1234 then your family should be calling 0082 10 1234 1234.

Do you have a smart phone ? get skype or better yet, viber or kakao talk for it.

I can send texts feom my mobile here and receive texts from my fathers 087 mobile. I thinks he's with o2.

I can't receive them from my mothers 086 meteor mobile however. So texts do work, possibly just to do with the operators?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

FCUM wrote: »
    After looking into this a bit more me and my girlfriend have decided that we will be better off going down the hagwon route in order to be placed close together. Did even find a recruiter that said it would help couples etc.

So now the decision is where do we want to go. Anyone have any general advice on this, is there anywhere people hated/really loved. Obviously it is at the end of the day down to personal preference but if anyone has any reccomendations on places to avoid and places that are great id appreciate it.

Also the other thing is what ages to teach, from previous experience i found very young children quite hard to teach and control and with older ones it was easier. What are the age groups available, does it go all the way to secondary school too? Also is it better to have a set age group you want so you can narrow your search a bit or be completely open to it?

Regards criminal background check, i know EPIK wanted ones which were no more than 6 months old, so im reluctant to get them just yet (is also a pain because i need one from britain too as i was born there). Anyone know the story with private schools? Is it the same, i also want to make sure i dont leave it too late if getting the british one is hassle.

One question about airfare, do all hagwons cover it or does it depend. Also is it paid upfront generally or in installments.

Any other general advice on the application process? I know its early and nearly a year away but i would like to get clued up on it now rather than leaving it too late :)
    hmm after emailing a recruiter just to get a bit of advice they said that for couples they usually go down the public route. This is all getting confusing and contradictory. He seems to think we would be ok and wouldnt be too far apart.

Just looking at booking flights now and the two most viable options appear to be with Etihad and Cathay airlines; Etihad is looking about €150 mor expensive.

If there is little difference in the amount of weight each airline allows you to carry, then I would be inclined to go with Cathay. I'm just wondering has anyone had any experience with either, or both?

roosh wrote: »
    Just looking at booking flights now and the two most viable options appear to be with Etihad and Cathay airlines; Etihad is looking about €150 mor expensive.

If there is little difference in the amount of weight each airline allows you to carry, then I would be inclined to go with Cathay. I'm just wondering has anyone had any experience with either, or both?

I flew Ethihad from India to Ireland (well technically I didn't get on an Etihad plane until Abu Dhabi as they used a code share) They were good to fly with, I think it may have been a 23kg allowance but possibly only 20kg, I only had about 8-9kg at the time so I didn't really pay attention.

The plane itself was very comfortable, good entertainment, nice food, polite staff.

FCUM wrote: »
    hmm after emailing a recruiter just to get a bit of advice they said that for couples they usually go down the public route. This is all getting confusing and contradictory. He seems to think we would be ok and wouldnt be too far apart.

I would have thought it would be easier to go the hagwon route for couples, that way you could work at the same school and live in the same apartment.

Though I do know a couple in the public system on Geoje, they both live in the same apartment and aren't working too far from eachother (then again, nobody on Geoje works all that far from eachother)

• Advertisement

I flew Ethihad from India to Ireland (well technically I didn't get on an Etihad plane until Abu Dhabi as they used a code share) They were good to fly with, I think it may have been a 23kg allowance but possibly only 20kg, I only had about 8-9kg at the time so I didn't really pay attention.

The plane itself was very comfortable, good entertainment, nice food, polite staff.

As he said, they are a nice crew and the treatment is great. If you go with them and get upgraded, like I did recently when returning from my vacation in Ireland, you'll get treated to even more delights. :D

I think I had over 23kg and they didn't complain (when first coming over to Korea).

cheers.

just looking up the baggage allowance and Etihad allow 23kg+7kg carry on+laptop bag.

Cathay offer 20kg+7kg carry on+laptop bag.

That's roughly the difference between 3 bags of sugar isn't it? (now if I can work out how much that is in terms of jeans & t-shirts!)

I haven't a clue about weights though, so I don't know how much my stuff would weigh.

The impression I have is that Etihad would be nicer to fly with (but that could just be good marketing) but also the journey being broken into 2 8hr flights instead of 3 flights, one 11hrs long, might be more comfortable.

Still, if I can work out how much my luggage will weigh and if 20kg seems like it'd be enough, I'd go with Cathay.

I don't suppose you know anything about hotels around ICN airport?

As he said, they are a nice crew and the treatment is great. If you go with them and get upgraded, like I did recently when returning from my vacation in Ireland, you'll get treated to even more delights. :D

I think I had over 23kg and they didn't complain (when first coming over to Korea).

cheers!

did you have much over the 23kg do you know? did you need all that, or would 23kg be enough do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

I would have thought it would be easier to go the hagwon route for couples, that way you could work at the same school and live in the same apartment.

Though I do know a couple in the public system on Geoje, they both live in the same apartment and aren't working too far from eachother (then again, nobody on Geoje works all that far from eachother)
    That is what I thought too. He was saying though that the market has gotten a lot more competitive and especially for couples. We're not bothered by the not living together part really and public was our preferred option anyway. We were just worried about being placed far apart, it is at least encouraging that there are others in the same situation. We've told them we are not fussy about where we go so somewhere small(ish) could work fine. Just how competitive is the public market though is the question.

cheers!

did you have much over the 23kg do you know? did you need all that, or would 23kg be enough do you think?

I would have brought over more stuff but knew I had to try keep to a limit.

Maybe 2kg over weight.

I would have brought over more stuff but knew I had to try keep to a limit.

Maybe 2kg over weight.

in hindsight would you still have brought over more stuff?

I find that I have a tendency to overpack.

• Advertisement

in hindsight would you still have brought over more stuff?

I find that I have a tendency to overpack.

sure. some teabags would have been nice :D

I don't suppose you know anything about hotels around ICN airport?

Whenever I flew from Incheon I either went in the evening and just took a bus up to Seoul and caught bus to the airport, or I stayed in a motel in Seoul and got a bus out in the morning time.

WHy do you need to stay in a motel? If you're having to hang around overnight to just get another flight or something, then you could just stay in the jimjilbang in the airport.

I've never stayed in it, but it's supposed to be nice, only costs about 6-7 euro and you can relax in the steam room, hot baths and have a sleep in the sleeping area.

I don't think there would be too many budget hotels around the airport itself, you could try asiarooms.com or agoda or some other hotels website and see what you can find.

Whenever I flew from Incheon I either went in the evening and just took a bus up to Seoul and caught bus to the airport, or I stayed in a motel in Seoul and got a bus out in the morning time.

WHy do you need to stay in a motel? If you're having to hang around overnight to just get another flight or something, then you could just stay in the jimjilbang in the airport.

I've never stayed in it, but it's supposed to be nice, only costs about 6-7 euro and you can relax in the steam room, hot baths and have a sleep in the sleeping area.

I don't think there would be too many budget hotels around the airport itself, you could try asiarooms.com or agoda or some other hotels website and see what you can find.

again, thanks.

I need to stay somewhere overnight, bcos I'll get into ICN on the 20th but will be meeting a bus to go to the EPIK orientation on the 21st.

What is that jimjilbang, do you reckon I'd be able to stay there; or would I need to prove I'm getting a connecting flight?

just looking at flights again, and the price on the skyscanner.net site is cheaper than the etihad site - anyone any ideas how this is? it's only €20 odd

again, thanks.

I need to stay somewhere overnight, bcos I'll get into ICN on the 20th but will be meeting a bus to go to the EPIK orientation on the 21st.

What is that jimjilbang, do you reckon I'd be able to stay there; or would I need to prove I'm getting a connecting flight?

You should be able to stay there. Not sure if you know what a jimjilbang is, if you don't just google it. You could also google the one in the airport to get some information on it.
    just looking at flights again, and the price on the skyscanner.net site is cheaper than the etihad site - anyone any ideas how this is? it's only €20 odd

People use comparison sites, soo they get discounts to forward more passengers to them. You might want to check that is the correct course, sometimes when you click through, it'll actually be more expensive than you thought.

It was about €10 more for me to book through etihad than through some comparison sites, but the comparison site wouldn't let me choose the seat I wanted, whereas the official site let me choose, so I paid the extra amount.

• Advertisement

with the 5 working days for the visa, how does that work; do I give my passport to them and they take it and send it back to me, or do they need to take my passport at all? I'm presuming that, if I go to the consulate this wednesday, I should easily have it back by the 17th, shouldn't I?

I'm just about to book my flight for the 19th, so just want to make sure about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

with the 5 working days for the visa, how does that work; do I give my passport to them and they take it and send it back to me, or do they need to take my passport at all? I'm presuming that, if I go to the consulate this wednesday, I should easily have it back by the 17th, shouldn't I?

I'm just about to book my flight for the 19th, so just want to make sure about these things.

Yes - bring your passport with you to the korean embassy. they will take it from you for a few days. then you either go back and collect it at the embassy or you could give them a registered envelope and they will post it to you. the best thing to do is phone the embassy beforehand to check opening times and procedure for collection etc. i would have thought you'll easily have your passport back by the 17th. I'm also hoping to go to the embassy on wednesday but i'll ring them first as i'm travelling up from waterford and don't want a wasted journey.

Yes - bring your passport with you to the korean embassy. they will take it from you for a few days. then you either go back and collect it at the embassy or you could give them a registered envelope and they will post it to you. the best thing to do is phone the embassy beforehand to check opening times and procedure for collection etc. i would have thought you'll easily have your passport back by the 17th. I'm also hoping to go to the embassy on wednesday but i'll ring them first as i'm travelling up from waterford and don't want a wasted journey.

I might see you up there so :D

I phoned the embassy last week and they are open for visa applications on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 09:00 - 11:30; they were closed today for a Korean holdiay.

I'll phone them tomorrow about collection, cheers.

just booked my flight anyway - flying out the 19th

:D:D:D

I might see you up there so :D

I phoned the embassy last week and they are open for visa applications on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 09:00 - 11:30; they were closed today for a Korean holdiay.

I'll phone them tomorrow about collection, cheers.

just booked my flight anyway - flying out the 19th

:D:D:D

ah cool. :) thanks for the info. yeah, you might see me there!
    you know you need a bring a spare passport photo to the embassy too? I saw that written somewhere on here. i think the visa processing fee is about €40. and i'm bringing a photocopy of my garda clearance and a spare copy of my uni transcripts. i'm not even sure if i need the garda stuff and transcripts at all but seeing as i have to come such a long way i don't want to leave anything behind that i should've brought.

ah cool. :) thanks for the info. yeah, you might see me there!
    you know you need a bring a spare passport photo to the embassy too? I saw that written somewhere on here. i think the visa processing fee is about €40. and i'm bringing a photocopy of my garda clearance and a spare copy of my uni transcripts. i'm not even sure if i need the garda stuff and transcripts at all but seeing as i have to come such a long way i don't want to leave anything behind that i should've brought.

yep cheers.

I phoned the consulate and they told me I didn't need to bring the garda clearance, or the degree, but I'll double check when I phone them again tomorrow.

yep cheers.

I phoned the consulate and they told me I didn't need to bring the garda clearance, or the degree, but I'll double check when I phone them again tomorrow.

Good stuff. :)
    Seoul here I come!

does anyone know how to get to the consulate btw?

I know the address is 15, Clyde Road, Ballsbridge, D4, but are there any landmarks near it, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

does anyone know how to get to the consulate btw?

I know the address is 15, Clyde Road, Ballsbridge, D4, but are there any landmarks near it, does anyone know?

The closest landmark to it would be the american embassy, its the big ugly round building!! Its on the corner of the main road and an other smaller road calles elgin road, (if your walking) walk down elgin road a bit and take the first left (as your backs to the US embassy) thats clyde road, the korean embassy is slightly down a bit. You'll see alot of other embassies they all have their flags flying outside, thats how you'll find the Korean one!

Its actually easier than it sounds! Hope thats okay, im not the greatest at giving directions :(

cassi wrote: »
    The closest landmark to it would be the american embassy, its the big ugly round building!! Its on the corner of the main road and an other smaller road calles elgin road, (if your walking) walk down elgin road a bit and take the first left (as your backs to the US embassy) thats clyde road, the korean embassy is slightly down a bit. You'll see alot of other embassies they all have their flags flying outside, thats how you'll find the Korean one!

Its actually easier than it sounds! Hope thats okay, im not the greatest at giving directions :(

that's perfect cassi, thanks; I have an idea where the US embassy is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 warofthebutton

Just a quick question about the garda clearance

I've been trawling through older posts and I'm a bit confused. My own story is basically I went into my local station and asked for the Gardaí clearance necessary for the visa (the one they do locally) The Garda on duty insisted I needed the form you have to send off to Tipp, which I ended up doing. After waiting about a month I receive the Tipp form back, all clear, and low and behold a note saying that this clearance is not the one I should use for the Visa process.

I have applied for the local one now, which I presume is the right one for the Visa, but it's taking ages and I'm a bit worried they screwed up again. Does anyone know if I can use the Tipp one? It does after all say I don't have any convictions...

• Advertisement

I've been trawling through older posts and I'm a bit confused. My own story is basically I went into my local station and asked for the Gardaí clearance necessary for the visa (the one they do locally) The Garda on duty insisted I needed the form you have to send off to Tipp, which I ended up doing. After waiting about a month I receive the Tipp form back, all clear, and low and behold a note saying that this clearance is not the one I should use for the Visa process.

I have applied for the local one now, which I presume is the right one for the Visa, but it's taking ages and I'm a bit worried they screwed up again. Does anyone know if I can use the Tipp one? It does after all say I don't have any convictions...

Tell them you basically need a letter from the superintendent saying you have no convictions. Tell them you don't need it for working with children, you need it to obtain a visa.

In theory, it should be the one from tipperary, but it's not the one that is accepted as that only states you have no convictions that would prevent you from working with kids, to obtain a visa you need one to state you have no convictions whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

When they make a new thread I think this should be in the OP. I remember being screwed around for ages and being so confused about it. The guards in Ireland don't have a breeze and don't give a ****e really.

You do not need to pay any money for it, a letter stating your name, address, DOB, all your previous addresses and a copy of your passport info page sent to your local superintendent with a stamped addressed envelope is grand.

When they make a new thread I think this should be in the OP. I remember being screwed around for ages and being so confused about it. The guards in Ireland don't have a breeze and don't give a ****e really.

You do not need to pay any money for it, a letter stating your name, address, DOB, all your previous addresses and a copy of your passport info page sent to your local superintendent with a stamped addressed envelope is grand.

Yeah Tara! You tell em! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Right, who is going to Global Gathering?
    Woo...

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Right, who is going to Global Gathering?
    Woo...

woo...t...

I am...but first,...I want to watch the rugby in Itaewon. :D

woo...t...

Scrooges?! :)

Scrooges?! :)

ofc! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

woo...t...

I doubt I will be able to persuade the Canadian/American/English crew I am going with to go to Itaewon first :(

I doubt I will be able to persuade the Canadian/American/English crew I am going with to go to Itaewon first :(

Well, just try them out and see what happens.

• Advertisement

DOOOO ITTTTTT! :)

Advertisement