Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Thank you.

Would you believe my degree, masters and post grad are maths, computer science and statistics related? Haha!

The clincher appears to be the masters... apparently most people who want to be teachers don't have one of them.

PS If I have to come back to Ireland I won't bother teaching. Bollox to that...

You'd actually be surprised at the amount of teachers with masters in Korea. University jobs are a lot about luck and who you know most of the time. Korea is big into networking.

I didn't have to come home to get my documents although I did have to rely on my parents to help with the running around. The Garda cert was just requested at the station by my mother. Not sure if a signature was needed or not but my presence wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

ekevosu wrote: »
    You'd actually be surprised at the amount of teachers with masters in Korea. University jobs are a lot about luck and who you know most of the time. Korea is big into networking.

I didn't have to come home to get my documents although I did have to rely on my parents to help with the running around. The Garda cert was just requested at the station by my mother. Not sure if a signature was needed or not but my presence wasn't.

Interesting, thank you.

Neither of my parents work so they could probably do this for me.

I think you are right about the networking thing - I happen to know a couple of professors here...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Oh yeah I didnt even think of that, you probably could get your folks to do the document hunting for you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

roosh wrote: »
    it's not necessary, bcos you can get a job without it, but you might be putting yourself at a disadvantage without one; in terms of competing for jobs. That's not to say you can't get a good job, but if you two applicants are going for the same job, all else being equal, it is likely that the teacher with the TEFL will get it.

Plus, having a TEFL will usually bump you up a level in pay; I know this is the case in public schools, and I think it's true in hagwons; although i was hoping cloneslad could confirm or deny this; or any other hagwonners.

Could'nt be sure about the police check, but phoning them (the Gardai) might be the quickest way to find out.

Sorry about the late reply, work is busy and my weekends have not been as boring as usual. Hagwons don't (generally) have a pay scale based on qualifications, which increase accordingly. Most will just advertise for a certain job (lots are 2.2 for newbs, though some work for less) and that is what they will pay you.

You can haggle with a bag won though, and try get paid for what you think you're worth. There is no way I would work for less than 2.6-2.7 million won, as I have experience and a masters, TEFL, I know korea and I know how much they make. I also wouldn't work those crazy 9am to 6/7pm shifts you see people signing up for. However there are loads of people that take the first offer, and this is usually pretty low.

A hag won does not raise its pay based in your qualifications, it raises it based on your negotiation skills. Having a TEFL will help give you a reason to ask for more money, but they won't advertise 2.1 for non TEFL and 2.2 for TEFL, like they do with EPIK (though EPIK is 1.8 for newb and 2.0 for newb with TEFL)

Also remember, if you have a masters degree in anything or if your degree is in education, English language, creative writing etc then you will get the bump in pay a TEFL holder would be. However, if you have a masters degree and you also get a TEFL, you will not get more money than someone with just a masters degree, in your first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

So, how does one go about getting his 'certificate of character' and 'degree' photocopy notarised and apostilled by a Commissioner Of Oaths and the Department of Foreign Affairs respectively, and how long do these things tend to take?

Orizio wrote: »
    So, how does one go about getting his 'certificate of character' and 'degree' photocopy notarised and apostilled by a Commissioner Of Oaths and the Department of Foreign Affairs respectively, and how long do these things tend to take?

waygookseoul.blogspot.kr/2012/08/ireland-korea-how-to-for-new-english.html?m=1 :)

...so I have to go to Dublin to get the apostille part done? Any way round this?

As an aside, I'm on medication for depression, what is the procedure for carrying on a prescription in a foreign country like South Korea (or China or Spain or wherever I turn up :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

...so I have to go to Dublin to get the apostille part done? Any way round this?

you can post them to Dublin

you can post them to Dublin

Thanks, any idea of how long this would take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

if i recall correctly mine took around 2 weeks. that was feb 2012.

As an aside, I'm on medication for depression, what is the procedure for carrying on a prescription in a foreign country like South Korea (or China or Spain or wherever I turn up :pac: )

Korea might not be the place for you if you are already being treated for depression :P

Just get your family to get the apostille done. I guess I need to amend my post, seems to be a few people applying from outside their country of residence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Andy!! wrote: »
    Korea might not be the place for you if you are already being treated for depression

I know you are half joking, but there is a lot of truth in what you are saying.

When you become an expat, you lose the stability and "rules" you had back home.

That's why so many expats become alcoholics. Many become depressed. I see it all the time (in China at least).

I am not saying "don't become an English teacher in Korea", I guess I am saying be sure you have a solid exit strategy if you notice your life and mental health are going off the rails a bit.

I can't really remember tbh, but I don't think it didn't take any longer than 2 weeks, like R.D. says.

I'm not joking at all :D I don't mean to sound harsh or anything but I would hope someone who is being prescribed medication for behavioural/emotional problems would take a lot of time to consider whether they should take a lot of children under their care. Especially considering some of these kids will be difficult. Now I am in no way saying that anyone taking medication of this sort should not be teaching, far from it. I'd say around 10% wouldn't be suitable. But it is something to consider very seriously.

Having said that I personally know several people here who should not be teaching or be around children at all, so if you did have a serious condition you'd probably fit right in! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

Hey There,

So yea to get straight to the point i had a bad accident on saturday , i hit my head while skateboarding down a hill. I have been in and out of hospitals , got the all clear with the brain and stuff but i have been suffering from post concussion symptoms and got medicine for that today . I missed yesterdays and most of todays work , which i can see is driving my boss nuts . My number one priority is my health but is there anything i should be worried on the job front ? Can this give her reason to fire me ? Any info would be appreciated it .

Thank you
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

It's hard to answer Galway. If she's a really bi@@h it may give her a reason, I do know people that were fired for missing time sick. It might also just be the case that she's frustrated now but will get over it when you're ok. Either way for your own sake tread carefully around her for a while but as ou said yourself your health is far more important and especially anything to do with your head will need time to recover.

Well Galway do you have sick days in your contract? If you do you should be fine. Got three meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

I have none sadly , i have worked in there already being quite sick but this is different as you can imagine . But i suppose i will just have to see what happens , try work , rest and most importantly get my health back . Thank you for your input

• Advertisement

Galwayj wrote: »
    Hey There,

So yea to get straight to the point i had a bad accident on saturday , i hit my head while skateboarding down a hill. I have been in and out of hospitals , got the all clear with the brain and stuff but i have been suffering from post concussion symptoms and got medicine for that today . I missed yesterdays and most of todays work , which i can see is driving my boss nuts . My number one priority is my health but is there anything i should be worried on the job front ? Can this give her reason to fire me ? Any info would be appreciated it .

Thank you
    J

Could you get fired.....yes

Should you get fired....no

legally can she fire you....I doubt it.

Most contracts have sick days written into them. Anywhere from 2 to 10. There is most likely a legal minimum, as in Ireland. I know of people getting fired for missing a day or two. I know someone who was in hospital with pneumonia and she was replaced, without her knowledge. I also know of loads more who were treated very well when they were sick or injured, so it just depends on how much of a díck your boss is.

rest up, but try return to work as soon as you can. also make sure to visit the doctor and get a sick cert.

When you become an expat, you lose the stability and "rules" you had back home.

That's why so many expats become alcoholics. Many become depressed. I see it all the time (in China at least).

I am not saying "don't become an English teacher in Korea", I guess I am saying be sure you have a solid exit strategy if you notice your life and mental health are going off the rails a bit.

I'll be grand...if I can carry on my prescription over there. Will have to look into it I guess, really have no idea how these things are done.

I'll be grand...if I can carry on my prescription over there. Will have to look into it I guess, really have no idea how these things are done.

Don’t mention it in your application form / medical etc. No one will hire you, and that’s not a judgement I’m making on you, that’s just the way things are. Illness, be it physical or mental, is seen as a sign of weakness. I’m sure if you take your medication you’ll be fine. Exercise is supposed to be great for depression and you can get lots of that in Korea. I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

cloneslad wrote: »
    Don’t mention it in your application form / medical etc.

Could doing this cause issues when given the drug test during the medical?

have a word with your GP and ask them what the procedure is

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Could doing this cause issues when given the drug test during the medical?

So long as it's not an illegal drug then it shouldn't be an issue. This would be a question for americans on Daves ESL. Americans love medication and the ins and outs of prescriptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bungarra

Anyoung! So... Seems like there's alot of boardsies in Korea right now...:) I'm looking at going to Korea next year myself. I know this thread is specifically for TEFL but I'd actually be looking for work as a civil engineer if possible. Anyone know anything about this? :confused:
    Is it hard to get work outside of TEFL? I'm guessing it's a similar visa and I'll need to have employment sorted before I arrive?:eek: Any info on others getting work in anything engineering related would be great. Just looking for some encouragement before i start making a proper effort at learning the language etc really.:cool:

There are loads of engineering companies from Scotland, Norway, America and Eastern Europe who have people living over in korea and working. On the island I lived in (geoje) there was a massive foreign population due to the two shipyards ( Samsung and daewoo) there is also the Hyundai one (I think in Ulsan).

The people working as engineers generally didn't work for the Korean company. Their own company hired Samsung etc workers to make their ships /oil rigs etc and they had people there overseeing it. Some of the foreign companies just leased the space in the shipyard.

An E2 visa is for teachers, an engineer would be in a different visa. I know the lads that were living in geoje and working in the shipyards were coining it in. Most were on over 10million per month, and had expenses paid too. Their wages were so high as they were compensated for being away from home.

I would imagine the only advantage you would have over Korean civil engineers is that you are a native English speaker. As such the only jobs on offer would be with foreign companies in Korea etc and most of these would send people already part of their company. Korean civil engineers in local jobs would have the same skills but also be fluent in Korean. Things tend to get done a lot quicker in Korea. If something is due Friday, they will try to get it done Monday. Holidays for normal jobs are few and hours are long. That's why you're only option really is a foreign company. If you are looking for jobs outside engineering and teaching, there aren't a whole lot without a visa. If you search Korea jobs or non teaching jobs in Korea, some websites come up which advertise for non teaching jobs for foreigners. I'll try and find the link I had. There is also a special visa you can get which allows you to spend a year looking for work there. This is dependent on you having special skills (not like neeson), having worked in a fortune 500 company or having attended one of the worlds top 300 universities. I think UCD was the only Irish one in there. I tried to go down this route as well but it's very tough. Not impossible. Just tough.

Don’t mention it in your application form / medical etc. No one will hire you, and that’s not a judgement I’m making on you, that’s just the way things are.

Yeah I wasn't planning on doing that tbf. ;) :pac:

have a word with your GP and ask them what the procedure is

Yeah I've already set up an appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Yeah I've already set up an appointment.

I have heard of people not mentioning this on the application forms. One of my friends had a bit of trouble as opiates kept showing in her system (she was on some medication for migraines and they Korean doctors kept over looking it for some reason)

Depression runs in my family, I would also keep that close to your chest. Koreans are very paranoid about any type of illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bungarra

Hey Clones and Ekevosu... Thanks for the replies. I know I won't just walk into a job over there and it'll be hard to find something, I don't have any special skills really that'd put me ahead of any Korean engineers. I know a few koreans so have asked them already. One is even a recently qualified civil engineer. She told me my best bet was the bigger multi nationals aswel but I don't think she knew much really cause she hadn't looked for a job properly yet.:cool: I only have a couple years of experience so I'm not sure how in demand I'd be... I think I'll just apply for a few jobs and see if I get any bites. If not I'll do my TEFL and see can I get a teaching job then go from there. I'm in Aus at the moment anyway, I don't think I'm ready to leave for another year so I've plenty time to decide.:rolleyes:

Heres the stuff I had if its any use:

http://kr.jobsdb.com/KR/EN/Search/GetSearchResult - this is your best bet I think

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/ - occasionally non teaching stuff appears here but not a lot

http://www.contactkorea.go.kr/talkroIR/recruitSearchEn.do - not sure about this site but maybe post your cv, cant do any harm

http://www.escapeartist.com/korea/jobs.htm - links to job sites

http://www.southkoreajobs.com/ - never found this much good

There are other sites as well but they are in Korean so not sure they would be much good to you.

Korean cv's are very different to Irish ones as well so do a bit of research on this. They want a picture on the cv's as well which is very important. Make sure its a friendly looking but professional photo making you look nice and normal, preferably without facial hair, tattoos, percings etc. These things do matter there. You can do a bit of reseach on the types of resumes they have anyway.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

Looks like I'll be staying in sunny Ireland for the moment...can't afford to lose the Mortgage Interest relief (€270 pm), which I'd lose if I letted out the whole house.

Sucks, but there ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 I am optimistic

Once you get everything you need if you don't get into Seoul, try Busan then Daegu. They're good craic.

You can exchange your money in Incheon International airport once you've come through off your flight.

I highly recommend learning a few phrases before you get over there. The local language in Hangul and it's easy enough once you learn the Hangul alphabet. A lot of movies and things are just translated phoneticly.

I would recommend to try and avoid private schools, especially the smaller ones. As far as some of them are concerned you are a foreigner in their country and they can do with you as you wish. If you go with a well established and recommended franchise (google it, google knows everything) you should be grand.

Try EPIK as well. I think they are looking for all the documents to be collected asap and interviews for that start in November. Obviously an education or English degree is highly desired as I know it's becoming more popular.

Korea is a beautiful country and a life changing experience. I never how brilliant Skype was until I lived in Korea. I went over on my own but I know most people I met had a friend or somebody they knew already there. They love karaoke or Noraebang as they are called. If you're a country sized Irish woman you're screwed when comes to buying clothes, if you're a guy you'll be fine. Most people go to Incheon in Seoul for their clothes and footwear.

If you live away from Ireland for more than 3 years you are no longer an Irish tax resident. Before you leave make sure you get all your necessary docs so you can sort it out when you get back. There is the Korean Tax form which is in English and Hangul. Also if you pay your pension over there it works in your benefit when you come home as there is an agreement bet Ireland and South korea that it carries over in either country though when you come back depending on the tax year it won't be accumulated as Social Welfare Benefit but you get all the other benefits. Check it out when you come back from Korea but be mindful of it before you leave.

Good Luck!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭Sivousplait

hey lads and lassies,

applying for EPIK at the moment and just been down to the gards. is the police cert alright for the criminal record check? I was told by the gards if im applying to a job abroad I need to do a garda vetting, that meant ringing up the head office and having to do a completely separate form and post it on to to thurles and then wait (they said 3-4 weeks). this doesn't sound right. The EPIK page actually has a link to police certificates and this is what the first garda provided me...I went home filled it out and then when I brought it back down, another gard told me I need another doc for applying abroad.

HELP! so confusing when you hear people on boards got their form in a week (this is what it says for the police certificate). Am I filling in the right form with the police cert?

hey lads and lassies,

applying for EPIK at the moment and just been down to the gards. is the police cert alright for the criminal record check? I was told by the gards if im applying to a job abroad I need to do a garda vetting, that meant ringing up the head office and having to do a completely separate form and post it on to to thurles and then wait (they said 3-4 weeks). this doesn't sound right. The EPIK page actually has a link to police certificates and this is what the first garda provided me...I went home filled it out and then when I brought it back down, another gard told me I need another doc for applying abroad.

HELP! so confusing when you hear people on boards got their form in a week (this is what it says for the police certificate). Am I filling in the right form with the police cert?

you don't need Garda vetting. It's not for the job you need the form, it's for the Visa. Garda vetting just shows that you are safe to work with kids, you could have robbed a bank but a garda vetting form will say you're fine to work with kids.

You just need a letter from the superintendent which says you have no convictions. The police cert (if that's what it's called) is enough.

If you're a country sized Irish woman you're screwed when comes to buying clothes, if you're a guy you'll be fine. .

Probably my favourite quote on this thread!!

hey lads and lassies,

This could be a case of the gard being confused as you do need vetting to teach in Ireland, or it could be a brand new requirement (though I doubt that). No use listening to someone whose been through the application process in this instance as things may have very recently changed. Give the S.K. embassy in Dublin a ring.

This could be a case of the gard being confused as you do need vetting to teach in Ireland, or it could be a brand new requirement (though I doubt that). No use listening to someone whose been through the application process in this instance as things may have very recently changed. Give the S.K. embassy in Dublin a ring.

I said to them it's for a job abroad in south korea. the minute she heard JOB she pointed out on the police cert that NOT FOR JOB APPLICATIONS. she was really ****ing snappy with me when I tried to explain that EPIK are looking for police certs (they give a link to the garda page on applying for police certs) and there was a part of me thinking that it isn't for job purposes, it is ultimately for the VISA and EPIK are giving you a head start on that when you ultimately have to apply for a visa. but was like talking to a brick wall. so went home, double checked the site and luckily enough today, didn't get the same gard. he has now passed the application on to the superintendent and I should recieve the cert in 7-10 days. I understand that this cert isn't actually necessary until you secure a job out there but thought i'd get a head start on the docs I could actually obtain now:)

I'd say I did the right thing now!!

• Advertisement

you don't need Garda vetting. It's not for the job you need the form, it's for the Visa. Garda vetting just shows that you are safe to work with kids, you could have robbed a bank but a garda vetting form will say you're fine to work with kids.

You just need a letter from the superintendent which says you have no convictions. The police cert (if that's what it's called) is enough.

thanks Cloneslad! I got the cert application done today so just have to play the waiting game! have you done the EPIK program yeah? getting my letters of recommendations sorted at the moment so going to send on the application over the weekend! ideally would have wanted to get in on thursday (the fall 2013 one started then) but have been waiting on lecturers/previous employers to write me!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

I said to them it's for a job abroad in south korea. the minute she heard JOB she pointed out on the police cert that NOT FOR JOB APPLICATIONS. she was really ****ing snappy with me when I tried to explain that EPIK are looking for police certs (they give a link to the garda page on applying for police certs) and there was a part of me thinking that it isn't for job purposes, it is ultimately for the VISA and EPIK are giving you a head start on that when you ultimately have to apply for a visa. but was like talking to a brick wall. so went home, double checked the site and luckily enough today, didn't get the same gard. he has now passed the application on to the superintendent and I should recieve the cert in 7-10 days. I understand that this cert isn't actually necessary until you secure a job out there but thought i'd get a head start on the docs I could actually obtain now:)

Just for people going through this again, the cert is for the visa not the job.

Vetting is only done for organisations registered to have it done eg schools, care centres or sports authorities. It is not done on an individual basis.

When actually asking for it be sure to say specifically say its for a visa.

Anyway glad you got it sorted sivousplait! :)

Hhmm sounds like things might have changed a little, I had no such warning on my application. Anyway keep us updated :)

cassi wrote: »
    Just for people going through this again, the cert is for the visa not the job.

Vetting is only done for organisations registered to have it done eg schools, care centres or sports authorities. It is not done on an individual basis.

When actually asking for it be sure to say specifically say its for a visa.

Anyway glad you got it sorted sivousplait! :)

well I said on it it is because I will be going abroad to south korea. fingers crossed the gards aren't thick and realise it must be for the purposes of a visa!

Hhmm sounds like things might have changed a little, I had no such warning on my application. Anyway keep us updated :)

Yeah I was a bit put off by that but the first gard I dealt with was convinced it didn't matter with my case. anyways, what's done is done now and I hope it is sent to me in the post as soon as possible! thanks for your help buddy! just waiting on letters of recommendation now, from your experiences did you get your preference on the form? the application process started on thursday but just waiting on 1 of the letters of recommendation!

Yeah I was a bit put off by that but the first gard I dealt with was convinced it didn't matter with my case. anyways, what's done is done now and I hope it is sent to me in the post as soon as possible! thanks for your help buddy! just waiting on letters of recommendation now, from your experiences did you get your preference on the form? the application process started on thursday but just waiting on 1 of the letters of recommendation!

You're getting the right one, they tried getting me to fill out the main one a few years ago too. We actually told people about it on this thread about 2years ago because it was becoming more and more common

fingers crossed the gards aren't thick

Good luck with that.

Good luck with that.

hard to express tongue-in-cheek on a forum :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tatankbull

Just a quick side question... are co-teachers more a feature of public schools than of hagwons? What's the likelihood of me ending up without a co-teacher in my classes if I work in the latter?

• Advertisement

Tatankbull wrote: »
    Just a quick side question... are co-teachers more a feature of public schools than of hagwons? What's the likelihood of me ending up without a co-teacher in my classes if I work in the latter?

Yes co-teachers are typically more of a public school fixture. A big reason why I prefer to work in a hagwon. Significantly reduces the risk of working with a psychotic xenophobic ajumma.

Advertisement