Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tatankbull

Thanks Andy. I can imagine the lack of a coteacher being both a blessing and a curse for a new teacher standing in front of 15 or 20 Korean children for the first time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

Tatankbull wrote: »
    Just a quick side question... are co-teachers more a feature of public schools than of hagwons? What's the likelihood of me ending up without a co-teacher in my classes if I work in the latter?
    I'm in public, elementar, school and each class has a homeroom teacher. They're supposed to stay and help with discipline but they rarely do. That's quite a common occurrence, but by no means the rule. I know people who have very engaged co-teachers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Chaps, any particular tips for someone applying to EPIK for work next Feb?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Tatankbull wrote: »
    Thanks Andy. I can imagine the lack of a coteacher being both a blessing and a curse for a new teacher standing in front of 15 or 20 Korean children for the first time!

It was daunting at first but now I love getting to see my kids :) And for the troublemakers, well I have no problem administering discipline. ;)

Andy!! wrote: »
    It was daunting at first but now I love getting to see my kids :) And for the troublemakers, well I have no problem administering discipline. ;)

Yeah I was considering bringing my hurley with me to Korea so I can 'administer discipline' as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tatankbull

So how difficult is the process of teaching classes in a hagwon for a person with no teaching experience, no formal teacher training and without the support of a co-teacher?

For those who have experience already, is there anything you can recommend a person should do before starting their work (gathering certain materials, preparing lesson plans in advance, reading certain books, etc) besides taking a nail-studded hurley with me of course... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bungarra

ekevosu wrote: »
    Heres the stuff I had if its any use:

http://kr.jobsdb.com/KR/EN/Search/GetSearchResult - this is your best bet I think

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/ - occasionally non teaching stuff appears here but not a lot

http://www.contactkorea.go.kr/talkroIR/recruitSearchEn.do - not sure about this site but maybe post your cv, cant do any harm

http://www.escapeartist.com/korea/jobs.htm - links to job sites

http://www.southkoreajobs.com/ - never found this much good

There are other sites as well but they are in Korean so not sure they would be much good to you.

Korean cv's are very different to Irish ones as well so do a bit of research on this. They want a picture on the cv's as well which is very important. Make sure its a friendly looking but professional photo making you look nice and normal, preferably without facial hair, tattoos, percings etc. These things do matter there. You can do a bit of reseach on the types of resumes they have anyway.

Good luck with it.

Thanks Ek.... I'll keep an eye on these for the next while and apply for anything relevant... If I find anymore good info i'll tack 'em on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TMC_Ledge

Hi, Im aiming to go to Korea in February to teach English.

I've read through the thread so I know the basics about what I require etc.

1) Can I get feedback on websites/recruiters for finding positions?
    These are some I'm looking at
    -ASL
    -teachandlivebroad.ie
    -gone2korea.com
    -footprints recruiting
    -worknplay.co.kr/
    -teachaway.com

2) Is it common to use multiple recruiters or just one?

3) Resume.
    Someone mentioned you should do research on korean style resumes. I'm not really too concerned about mine, but are there important features I should know about that i might be missing?
    My resume in 4 words:
    -Short
    -Professional picture
    -Degree
    -Experience

Regarding using multiple recruiters, yes, send applications to every one possible.

And for what its worth, I sent in a regular 'western' style c.v. And if your C.V. is short because your just out of college I wouldnt worry about it :) Have someone look at it though, like a family member in case there is more you could add.

TMC_Ledge wrote: »
    Hi, Im aiming to go to Korea in February to teach English.

I've read through the thread so I know the basics about what I require etc.

1) Can I get feedback on websites/recruiters for finding positions?
    These are some I'm looking at
    -ASL
    -teachandlivebroad.ie
    -gone2korea.com
    -footprints recruiting
    -worknplay.co.kr/
    -teachaway.com

2) Is it common to use multiple recruiters or just one?

3) Resume.
    Someone mentioned you should do research on korean style resumes. I'm not really too concerned about mine, but are there important features I should know about that i might be missing?
    My resume in 4 words:
    -Short
    -Professional picture
    -Degree
    -Experience

Just on the issue of using multiple recruiters, by all means do for private school (hagwon) jobs, but if you're looking for a public school job then, either use just one recruiter, or apply directly to EPIK. If you apply for a public school job with more than one recruiter, then your application will be voided. This only applies for public school though, and it is beneficial to contact multiple recruiters when applying for public school jobs.

Most recruiters should tell you about applying for public school jobs with only one recruiter, but it's handy to know just in case.

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I would be inclined to think that, when dealing with recruiters, don't send the originals of your stamped and apostilled documents to any recruiter until you have agreed to take a job. Scanned copies should suffice until you have decided to take a specific job. I'm not sure if it's even common practice for recruiters to try to do that, but I can imagine that some recruiters would try (having worked in recruitment).
    Again, someone might need to confirm this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hiya guys

should I bring my laptop to Korea or would it be best to purchase one over there? and what kind of adapter should I bring ?

Yeah absolutely dont be sending anything over till you have a firm offer. Recruiters will only ask for scans anyway, reputable ones that is. As for only using one recruiter for public, Ive never heard that one personally. Lots of public jobs up on daves every week with loads of different recruiters, I dont see the harm in applying to them all, they dont cross communicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hiya guys

should I bring my laptop to Korea or would it be best to purchase one over there? and what kind of adapter should I bring ?

If you don't want to buy a new laptop bring it and a UK to US adapter. Most laptop power supplies will work with either 120/240 Volts, this can be check by reading the label on the power supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Yeah absolutely dont be sending anything over till you have a firm offer. Recruiters will only ask for scans anyway, reputable ones that is. As for only using one recruiter for public, Ive never heard that one personally. Lots of public jobs up on daves every week with loads of different recruiters, I dont see the harm in applying to them all, they dont cross communicate.

There might be a difference, perhaps, between applying for jobs during the usual EPIK intakes and applying for jobs outside those periods; for example, if someone decides to quit their job two months into the contract, or something. On the EPIK website it says that if they receive your application twice then it is voided.

It would be something to be aware of and to ask a recruiter about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

roosh wrote: »
    There might be a difference, perhaps, between applying for jobs during the usual EPIK intakes and applying for jobs outside those periods; for example, if someone decides to quit their job two months into the contract, or something. On the EPIK website it says that if they receive your application twice then it is voided.

It would be something to be aware of and to ask a recruiter about.

Both of you are correct.

You can only use one recruiter, or apply directly yourself, for the bulk hiring periods (august and March) but you can apply as often as you like to the individually advertised public school positions.

The positions hire out of bulk hiring season and do not fall under the one application rule.

Just on the issue of using multiple recruiters, by all means do for private school (hagwon) jobs, but if you're looking for a public school job then, either use just one recruiter, or apply directly to EPIK. If you apply for a public school job with more than one recruiter, then your application will be voided. This only applies for public school though, and it is beneficial to contact multiple recruiters when applying for public school jobs.

Most recruiters should tell you about applying for public school jobs with only one recruiter, but it's handy to know just in case.

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I would be inclined to think that, when dealing with recruiters, don't send the originals of your stamped and apostilled documents to any recruiter until you have agreed to take a job. Scanned copies should suffice until you have decided to take a specific job. I'm not sure if it's even common practice for recruiters to try to do that, but I can imagine that some recruiters would try (having worked in recruitment).
    Again, someone might need to confirm this.

Thanks guys. I won't be send over any originals over before I take something.

Interesting about the public jobs applications- i'll have to be careful.
    Maybe its specifically applying to the EPIK programme multiple times through different third party agencies that gets your application voided?

Or is it the case that all public school positions are granted through the EPIK programme?

As regards the EPIK programme itself- i would like to be able to say yes or no to locations i'm placed in- I presume this isn't really possible if you apply directly?

And finally, thanks again for all the advice throughout this thread, its brilliant.
    If anyone has good experience with a recruiter they've used recently please let me know.

thanks.

Thanks guys. I won't be send over any originals over before I take something.

Interesting about the public jobs applications- i'll have to be careful.
    Maybe its specifically applying to the EPIK programme multiple times through different third party agencies that gets your application voided?

Or is it the case that all public school positions are granted through the EPIK programme?
    As far as I know all public school jobs are granted through the EPIK programme, but, as with much of what I say, I would need someone to verify that. I know that there are other bodies for Seoul and that, like GEPIK and SMOE, but I think you still apply through EPIK.

EPIK has two main hiring periods, or intakes, one around the end of August and one around the end of March. They have a couple of smaller intakes then in September and October, and in April I think it is. There are strict closing dates for applying for these intakes; I applied around April I think it was, and got into the October intake. Recruiters will know what these closing dates are, and it should be on the EPIK website as well (http://www.epik.go.kr/).

For these main intakes, the two applications [voids your application] rule applies, as cloneslad has said.

However, it can occur that, very early into their contract, someone decides that they don't like their job, for whatever reason, and quits; these jobs will then be given to recruiters to fill. It's possible that there will be more than one of these public school jobs available at any one time; it might be possible, also, that one recruiter will have one of the jobs, while another recruiter will have another, even though both are EPIK positions. In this case, where jobs arise outside the usual intake periods, cloneslad says that the two applications rule doesn't apply. So you could apply for both positions, with two different recruiters, even though both positions are with EPIK.
    As regards the EPIK programme itself- i would like to be able to say yes or no to locations i'm placed in- I presume this isn't really possible if you apply directly?
    On the EPIK application you can specify whether you want a metropolitan area or a provincial area; you used to be able to specify which city you wanted, and I think which province, but I think they've changed that now. So you can decide that you want to be in a city, but there is no guarantee which city you would be in.

With regard to saying yes or no to locations, after an offer, I don't think it matters whether you go through a recruiter or apply directly. To my understanding, EPIK would still be making the same offer, it's just that you'd be going through a third party. Again, this would have to be confirmed by someone.

And finally, thanks again for all the advice throughout this thread, its brilliant.
    If anyone has good experience with a recruiter they've used recently please let me know.

thanks.
    I only applied for public school and did so through a recruitment agency called reach to teach. I found them to be very helpful. When I contacted them, I had only about 2 weeks to get everything sorted, and they helped me through everything. There was a small lack of contact for a short while after getting the documents in, but this was in part due to the EPIK application process.

They are based in Taiwan, I think, but have a presence in Korea; they have events organised every now and then for people they've helped find positions; I haven't been to any, but it is a nice touch.

I recommended them to someone else though, and she didn't find them helpful at all. I'm not sure was that bcos the application period for the next intake had closed, or was it bcos there had been a change in co-ordinators for Korea - which happened during my application. I'm not sure if they do hagwon jobs, but they might be worth asking.

Just looking at the EPIK website (http://www.epik.go.kr/) and it says on there that the minimum [qualification] requirement is a Bachelors Degree; it doesn't state anything about having a TEFL.

That doesn't mean that, unofficially, they aren't considering people without a TEFL, but it's probably worth pointing out that it isn't an official requirement, for anyone thinking of applying.

Great reply roosh thank you very much. I suppose I'll just get going on applications and see how it goes.

As a matter of interest where did you end up getting placed?

• Advertisement

Great reply roosh thank you very much. I suppose I'll just get going on applications and see how it goes.

As a matter of interest where did you end up getting placed?
    Got place in Gangwon-do; it's the northeastern province. A town called Taebaek, up in the mountains. It's a town about the size of Tralee but the nightlife here is crap, so I leave every weekend.

Other people have been placed in smaller, more remote places, which are even worse.

There is always that risk with EPIK, if you choose provincial regions; mind you, you could still end up in a bigger town; it's the luck of the draw really. If you definitely want a city then be sure to specify it.

If you think you could stick anywhere for 1year, you always have the chance to transfer within EPIK after that.

Got place in Gangwon-do; it's the northeastern province. A town called Taebaek, up in the mountains. It's a town about the size of Tralee but the nightlife here is crap, so I leave every weekend.

Other people have been placed in smaller, more remote places, which are even worse.

There is always that risk with EPIK, if you choose provincial regions; mind you, you could still end up in a bigger town; it's the luck of the draw really. If you definitely want a city then be sure to specify it.

If you think you could stick anywhere for 1year, you always have the chance to transfer within EPIK after that.

I see. So you make your choice- provincial or urban- then do you know your region going over but not the exact location?

I see. So you make your choice- provincial or urban- then do you know your region going over but not the exact location?
    I knew I was coming to Gangwon-do, I just didn't know where in Gangwon-do. I found out on the last day of orientation, about 15mins before getting on the bus to Gangwon-do.

Unless it has changed since; and, as many people in this thread have alluded to, it can change quite quickly. I would imagine that you would know which region you'd be in though, before coming over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

Is it worth doing the CELTA course over the TEFL equivalent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭Sivousplait

I knew I was coming to Gangwon-do, I just didn't know where in Gangwon-do. I found out on the last day of orientation, about 15mins before getting on the bus to Gangwon-do.

Unless it has changed since; and, as many people in this thread have alluded to, it can change quite quickly. I would imagine that you would know which region you'd be in though, before coming over.

Hey roosh, just looking at the application now, I have specified Daegu as the MOE I would like to go to. Is this ok? I am not sure whether to just say I would prefer a MOE as opposed to an POE. This section is confusing for people to say the least judging from anyone I've talked to.

WhimSock wrote: »

Read the last few pages this topic is discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Yes co-teachers are typically more of a public school fixture. A big reason why I prefer to work in a hagwon. Significantly reduces the risk of working with a psychotic xenophobic ajumma.

Not always true Andy. I've always worked with a co teacher. I am working quite closely with my current co teacher and she is so helpful. I have a great relationship with her. They can help you out in the most suprising of ways. But, it is true (according to my friends in public schools) that your co teacher can make or break your time in Korea.
    Orizio wrote: »
    Chaps, any particular tips for someone applying to EPIK for work next Feb?

Get your docs together ASAP and use several recruiters. Speak as slow as you can in interviews and TAKE YOUR TIME WHEN ANSWERING QUESTIONS! (caps for most important :D ) that was my downfall.

:O You've got an amazing mountain to hike on your door step, not to mention an amazing snow festival.

Yes, it will give you a pay bump in some jobs. :)

Not always true Andy.

Hence the use of the world 'typically' ;P

I got a mountain load of fried chicken and a speeding ticket in Taebek.....The chicken was more enjoyable.

• Advertisement

I chose to do the CELTA before coming out bcos I had no teaching experience and didn't want to be coming into teaching completely cold. I heard very good things about it, so decided to do it.

I got a public school job so my pay increased by around €65 a month on the strength of it, so it will have paid for itself in about 2yrs (allowing for the increase in pay for being in the job 1yr).

You will get the same pay increase, in public school (not necessarily private), for any 120+hour TEFL certificate, though, so if you just want the increase in pay any of those would do.

I wouldn't be able to advise for or against doing the CELTA bcos I have no idea how I would have managed without it, or how much more competent it has made me in the classroom, if at all. I found it to be very informative and certainly gave me a lot more confidence coming over here.

Hey roosh, just looking at the application now, I have specified Daegu as the MOE I would like to go to. Is this ok? I am not sure whether to just say I would prefer a MOE as opposed to an POE. This section is confusing for people to say the least judging from anyone I've talked to.
    sorry SVP, I can't remember clearly what the application form was like when I was filling it out. I've heard that it has changed since then also, so I'm even less sure.

When I was filling it out I think I was able to nominate 3 preferences in MOEs or 3 preferences in POEs. I had Daegu as my first choice, Busan as my second and Seoul as my third; but when it came around to being offered a position, my recruiter advised me to change it to POEs bcos all the MOE positions had been filled.

Are you applying through a recruiter, or directly through EPIK? If it's a recruiter shoot them an email. If not, see if you can attach a scan of the application for til we have a look at it.

:O You've got an amazing mountain to hike on your door step, not to mention an amazing snow festival.
    Both of which I've done; that just leaves the other 363 days of the year :D

It levels up a bit in winter bcos the High 1 resort is just up the road in Gohan, so I'll be getting a season pass this year and should hopefully get a nice bit of boarding done.

Nightlife is pretty much non-existent though.

cloneslad wrote: »
    I got a mountain load of fried chicken and a speeding ticket in Taebek.....The chicken was more enjoyable.
    That sounds like an exciting day in Taebaek!

:D

Any ideas when the EPIK closing deadline for applications for March is? It only states the opening dae, not the closing. I assume its open for a couple of weeks anyway>

Still amazing views!

408020_10150530386903877_1038779161_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Still amazing views!
    funnily enough, I'm just on the way back from there now; went up with the school today

Just wondering how much money I should bring to cover my expenses until the first payday? and will my credit card work in Korea?

You should bring a fair bit because youre gonna have to set yourself up when you get here. I burned through maybe 800 as far as I can remember? Could have been 600. Who is your credit card provider? It will almost definitely work. Mine does and Im with AIB and mastercard.

Thanks for the reply Andy. My credit card is with BOI Mastercard. I'm just trying to tick all the boxes before I go.

My credit card is with BOI Mastercard. I'm just trying to tick all the boxes before I go.

Don't forget to inform the bank that you are going away. My card went on lock down as they saw ATM transactions on my account in a country that isn't Ireland. :)

• Advertisement

My credit card is with BOI Mastercard. I'm just trying to tick all the boxes before I go.

Don't forget to inform the bank that you are going away. My card went on lock down as they saw ATM transactions on my account in a country that isn't Ireland. :)

Good point Maybe BOI are smarter but AIB frequently lock my card despite being told a multitude of times that I no longer live in Ireland. Morons!

Good point Maybe BOI are smarter but AIB frequently lock my card despite being told a multitude of times that I no longer live in Ireland. Morons!

They aren't, unfortunately. They blocked mine regularly when buying flights there. I did tell them not to block it while i was travelling around S.E Asia and India afterwards and they didn't, which was good.

They still block it here in Ireland when I purchase things out of the ordinary. It can get annoying, but i suppose it's better than getting robbed.

Thanks for the info guys :)

Is it best to buy a new phone/electronics out there. I'm expecting to have a lot of excess room in my suitcase so half thinking of bringing random things over.

Is it best to buy a new phone/electronics out there. I'm expecting to have a lot of excess room in my suitcase so half thinking of bringing random things over.

Depends. A phone will need to be bought here. I wish Id brought over a george foreman with me though. What are you thinking of bringing over? Why is your case so empty?

Past long distance relationships have trained me to pack light. I was thinking of bringing over a blender as we have two. I think Korea has the same current 220, so all I would need to get is an adapter.

Have no idea what my luggage allowance is as the flights have not been booked yet. Just got my work number today so will probably be heading to the embassy tomorrow which is a pain in the hole.

Past long distance relationships have trained me to pack light. I was thinking of bringing over a blender as we have two. I think Korea has the same current 220, so all I would need to get is an adapter.

Have no idea what my luggage allowance is as the flights have not been booked yet. Just got my work number today so will probably be heading to the embassy tomorrow which is a pain in the hole.

Yeah but that has to be done asap so best just get it out of the way. Remember to bring all your documents especially your passport. And 35 quid for the year visa too. Get the number 7 bus on oconnell bridge in the direction facing away from the spire, and get off at the american embassy stop (ask the driver) and theyll guide you from there. Best get there as early as possible.

Blenders are cheap here, I wouldnt waste the space if I were you. Better to bring an xbox or whatever, if thats your thing.

Is it best to buy a new phone/electronics out there.

I brought over my smartphone thinking it would work straight away. It would only work on wifi. Korea doesn't do top up for data or anything so you would be looking at getting a smartphone.

You can get some electronics cheaper here. I got a DSLR in Namdemun market (Seoul) second hand for a great deal. Yongsan (electronics) market is great for anything you might want or need and you can bag yourself a good deal by bartering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭camoramo

Fyi I went to apply for my arc today and they changed the rules in Sept so now everyone has to wait a month for their card! I'll be here 3 months by the time I have a phone so best to apply as soon as you get here if possible.

camoramo wrote: »
    Fyi I went to apply for my arc today and they changed the rules in Sept so now everyone has to wait a month for their card! I'll be here 3 months by the time I have a phone so best to apply as soon as you get here if possible.

You can request your ARC number in advance though, in immigration itself. Unless they've changed that too.

And yes, get all that medical and immigration sorted as soon as you get there, it's foolish to put it off. Nag your director/co-teacher to accompany you asap, I know directors can be in no rush to put themselves out for you but you can't really settle in to normal life without getting these basics done fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭camoramo

Hopefully they still do it the manager is going to ask tomorrow when he brings other teachers to get theirs.
    I managed to get bank account without my arc but it is very annoying not having a phone!
    Couldn't get it any sooner with visa run etc but I'd agree that directors need to be reminded about stuff like this..

• Advertisement
Advertisement