Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Truley wrote: »
    Lol that's good to know. I think it's important for students to know the variations of words and spellings. Are you working with EPIK?

No. I'm back at home in Ireland studying a MSc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

When I first typed that I had written August but then changed it to 'Fall' as it's what they call the school term in EPIK. Do they prefer UK or US English in Korea? I am presuming they prefer US
    It won't affect your employment chances with EPIK, but all the textbooks use american english spelling. I generally write in british english on the board and just explain the difference.

Some hagwons won't hire you unless you're north american, but I would imagine they are in the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Any opinions on the following contract...

http://www.koreaconnections.net/2013%20CNOE%20contract.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I posted this in UCD but probably should have asked here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056907787

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has ever managed to get around re ordering a Latin degree in English. The people at EPIK have told me that applicants from Ireland have managed to get translation letters from their college in the past, but when I contacted NUI they said my only option is to pay €50 to re order my degree parchment.

Orizio wrote: »

I've had a quick scan of it - most looks good. The EPIK program is better off than being stuck with most hagwons. Some of my South Africans friends were with EPIK and had no issues. But I can't tell you if anything is different. You still get the 2mil bonus at the end and the entrance allowance (you get most of your flight paid for - but paid in installments). I was paid a quarter of my flight about 2 weeks into my job (at a hagwon) and then another bit 6months in and the rest at the end of the first year (excluding my bonus from staying with them and my monthly salary) :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Thanks Red Bairn.

Anyone else have an opinion on the contract? I've been offered work according to it.

Is it true that Irish people are not exempt from paying income tax?
    Employees, with the exception of Canadians and Irish, shall be eligible for exemption from paying
    Korean income tax during the period of the first two years of employment in Korea if they provide
    the following documents to the Employer before the first payment of salary:
    1) "Residence Certificate" issued by the relevant authority of the Employee's resident country 2)
    “an Application for Tax Exemption" on non-resident's Korean source income provided under
    the Korean Tax Treaty. If the Employee has already worked more than two years in Korea,
    he/she shall not be eligible for tax exemption.

Looks pretty much exactly the same as mine.

Thanks Red Bairn.

Anyone else have an opinion on the contract? I've been offered work according to it.

Is it true that Irish people are not exempt from paying income tax?
    Yep, that's true; I think Americans and Canadians are only exempt for 2yrs.

Americans and Canadians can also claim back their pension contributions when they leave, but we can't, but that's bcos the Irish government don't have a deal with Korea. From what I can gather, our time spent working here will act as a pension contribution back home. The way they explain it is, while we're over here there's a korean in Ireland doing the same thing (not literally), so instead of allowing people to claim back pension contributions they just give us credit for our time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

I swear I only have bad news when I go on this.Love korea but there is so much bull**** with the jobs here. The new Job I have here. They have been paying late.The first month when they owed me half a month , they were 3 days late. Now they said they will be late paying my first proper wage!!!!!!Maybe Friday.Really not sure about this school. All the original korean teachers have left.Korea frustrates me at times

Galwayj wrote: »
    I swear I only have bad news when I go on this.Love korea but there is so much bull**** with the jobs here. The new Job I have here. They have been paying late.The first month when they owed me half a month , they were 3 days late. Now they said they will be late paying my first proper wage!!!!!!Maybe Friday.Really not sure about this school. All the original korean teachers have left.Korea frustrates me at times

Public or Private?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

red_bairn wrote: »

Public or Private?
    It's a private school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Hey guys!

Just a quick question.

I'm sending my money home for the first time and i'm wondering what info i need.

Is it:
    Iban
    Acc number
    Bank name and address

or do i need something else?

I'm sending it to a Bank of Ireland.

Thanks!

Hey guys!

Just a quick question.

I'm sending my money home for the first time and i'm wondering what info i need.

Is it:
    Iban
    Acc number
    Bank name and address

Thanks!

I can't remember if you actually need it or not, but get the BIC number just in case; this is different from the IBAN number. When I first sent money home I had it, but I can't remember if they needed it or not. Once you send it once though, they give you a receipt which you can just bring back every time you want to send money. That's why I can't remember, bcos I have only had to give that information the one time.

On the receipt I have though, the BIC number is on it.

If you're speaking to your bank, just tell them your sending money from Korea and ask them what details you need, just to be doubly sure.

Hey guys!

Just a quick question.

Is it:
    Iban
    Acc number
    Bank name and address

Thanks!

An IBAN number has your bank name, I.e. BOI, the sort code and account number altogether.

I think I used the IBAN and address of Bank. I sent money away home for savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 angryangel

What is going on?! Please help.

I'm from Belfast, hold and travel on an Irish passport. Was told last year that an Access NI check was okay as a background check for the visa. Had a delay then for personal reasons, so while getting a new check today was told by a police officer that this may not be the right document I need.

After a few hours this is what I have:

- One recruiter suggested I needed a Disclosure Scotland. I called them and they said their basic disclosure is the same as what I have.
    - Access NI today told me, contrary to what they told me last year, that I needed an ACRO (Criminal Record Office) check.
    - ACRO said they didn't know what specific certificate I need (!)
    - Found a Subject Access form which gives you some sort of document detailing your personal data that the police have, but is this the right thing to use?
    - Both UK and Irish embassies say they don't know if it (Access NI check) is okay (!)

I've gone from having everything set to having no idea so any help greatly appreciated.

angryangel wrote: »
    What is going on?! Please help.

I'm from Belfast, hold and travel on an Irish passport. Was told last year that an Access NI check was okay as a background check for the visa. Had a delay then for personal reasons, so while getting a new check today was told by a police officer that this may not be the right document I need.

After a few hours this is what I have:

- One recruiter suggested I needed a Disclosure Scotland. I called them and they said their basic disclosure is the same as what I have.
    - Access NI today told me, contrary to what they told me last year, that I needed an ACRO (Criminal Record Office) check.
    - ACRO said they didn't know what specific certificate I need (!)
    - Found a Subject Access form which gives you some sort of document detailing your personal data that the police have, but is this the right thing to use?
    - Both UK and Irish embassies say they don't know if it (Access NI check) is okay (!)

I've gone from having everything set to having no idea so any help greatly appreciated.
    Have you been dealing with a recruiter?

Yes, a few. I know at least one, maybe two have definitely looked at the CBC's I've been using and never mentioned any problems (except that it was running out, hence the new one I got stamped today, leading to being told the above etc etc.)

Further research gives me the impression that there is no dead set CBC document, just levels. Example, that Disclosure Scotland company I mentioned basically told me that what I had is their equivalent and that's what one recruiter has mentioned getting.

Hoping to avoid extra cost and time wasting by getting the correct document. It even states on the one I have 'No NI Criminal Record' and 'No Police National Computer Record', is seems very clear to me, but what do I know, and more importantly how will Korea's immigration see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Morshemallow

I'm hoping to go to South Korea in the Autumn. I've already applied with LoveTEFL but won't hear anything until June but I was just wondering what kind of advice anyone has with regards public or private schools? Most private schools seem to pay your airfare in advance whereas the public schools reimburse it. Having my flight prepaid is a huge benefit for me because I won't be earning money until the summer. Are the public schools better though? I was reading the conditions with regards work hours, holidays etc. and the public schools seem to be better. If anyone has any info on this it would be much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

So I'm in a pickle.

I applied for EPIK with reach to teach but I am currently waiting for my second reference letter to be posted down to me. And time is marching on!!!

Should I just send my application with my one letter and say my other one is on the way?

I swear, getting hold of people and An Post will turn me grey!

Thanks for any advice :)

• Advertisement

I'm hoping to go to South Korea in the Autumn. I've already applied with LoveTEFL but won't hear anything until June but I was just wondering what kind of advice anyone has with regards public or private schools? Most private schools seem to pay your airfare in advance whereas the public schools reimburse it. Having my flight prepaid is a huge benefit for me because I won't be earning money until the summer. Are the public schools better though? I was reading the conditions with regards work hours, holidays etc. and the public schools seem to be better. If anyone has any info on this it would be much appreciated!

I've never heard of a private school paying for your flight in advanced. Do you mean that the person books it and gets reimbursed before even arriving in Korea?

Roisy7 wrote: »
    So I'm in a pickle.

I applied for EPIK with reach to teach but I am currently waiting for my second reference letter to be posted down to me. And time is marching on!!!

Should I just send my application with my one letter and say my other one is on the way?

I swear, getting hold of people and An Post will turn me grey!

Thanks for any advice :)
    I went through reach to teach as well; have you asked them about it?

I'm fairly sure you need the two references; I was in the same boat when I applied. I needed two scanned copies of references but could only get one from the people who had promised me. I ended up contacting someone else who I thought would pull it out of the bag for me, and luckily enough they did.

That referee couldn't send me a hard copy of the reference though, so I ended up changing back to the original one.

If you can get absolutely anyone to give you a reference, on headed paper, do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

roosh wrote: »
    I went through reach to teach as well; have you asked them about it?

I'm fairly sure you need the two references; I was in the same boat when I applied. I needed two scanned copies of references but could only get one from the people who had promised me. I ended up contacting someone else who I thought would pull it out of the bag for me, and luckily enough they did.

That referee couldn't send me a hard copy of the reference though, so I ended up changing back to the original one.

If you can get absolutely anyone to give you a reference, on headed paper, do that.

Thanks Roosh!

Basically I know the second one is on the way, but between Easter and Patrick's weekend the post has been gappy at best. I have literally this weekend and I don't think I'm going to get someone at this stage. So I was thinking of sending the other letter and my application to the person I'm dealing with and saying that the other is on the way.

There was something in the email that said that sometimes there's a gap between the application and the letter. I assumed that the letter would be here by now. I think I will chance just sending it off anyway. Tbh, I don't know if I can even afford to go. :(

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Thanks Roosh!

Basically I know the second one is on the way, but between Easter and Patrick's weekend the post has been gappy at best. I have literally this weekend and I don't think I'm going to get someone at this stage. So I was thinking of sending the other letter and my application to the person I'm dealing with and saying that the other is on the way.

There was something in the email that said that sometimes there's a gap between the application and the letter. I assumed that the letter would be here by now. I think I will chance just sending it off anyway. Tbh, I don't know if I can even afford to go. :(
    Something in the email from reach to teach? The gap they are talking about might be the gap between sending the scanned copy of the reference and the hard copy.

Try and contact reach to teach and let them know the story; it'd be a pain to pay for the courier for your documents only to find out it won't work. Personally, I'd chance sending them off myself, as well, but korean employers/EPIK could be sticklers when it comes to this sort of thing.

I know what you mean about not being able to afford to come out; I had to borrow about a grand and a half to come out here, but you'd be earning enough to pay it back in a couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Hi guys,

I think I made a massive boo boo. I got two copies of the transcripts of my results sent from my university today (in England and I live in Spain) but they've come together in the same envelope and not in separate envelopes with the seal. How strict are they on this? They're completely official with the official seal and the whole lot but it's going to be a royal pain in the tits to get them sent back and sent back out to me again in separate envelopes. It seems so stupid. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

get a new envelope and make a fake seal. You can get seals in any stationary shop.

• Advertisement

So had an interesting chat with a recruiter where they asked me to send my documents to them now before they had found a job.

The logic is that there are ASAP positions and if they have my documents there it's easier for them to get them stamped etc for a visa then me sending them and the processing beginning after they arrive.

Anyone done this before? The recruiter has a good reputation, just never had this suggested before and don't want to send off documents if something else with another recruiter should come up.

Mentioned that last point to the recruiter who told me they'd be happy to send them on for me if that happened. Sounds too good to be true, almost.

Thoughts and views? All help and input appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

angryangel wrote: »
    So had an interesting chat with a recruiter where they asked me to send my documents to them now before they had found a job.

The logic is that there are ASAP positions and if they have my documents there it's easier for them to get them stamped etc for a visa then me sending them and the processing beginning after they arrive.

Anyone done this before? The recruiter has a good reputation, just never had this suggested before and don't want to send off documents if something else with another recruiter should come up.

Mentioned that last point to the recruiter who told me they'd be happy to send them on for me if that happened. Sounds too good to be true, almost.

Thoughts and views? All help and input appreciated.

E-mail a copy of your documents, don't send the originals until you have a contract.

From Irish Embassy:
    Ambassador’s Message – Current Concerns about Safety on the Korean Peninsula

8 April 2013

Dear Craig,

I am sure you have been closely following the international media coverage of events on the
    peninsula of late and no doubt responding to concerns from relatives.  The coverage has been
    intense, certainly more intense than at any time since I arrived here in 2009.

From the Embassy’s perspective, the safety of our citizens abroad is of paramount importance
    and I can assure you that the Embassy has been in daily contact with Headquarters and the other EU
    missions here to ensure that we are all as informed as possible and that we agree a common assessment. 

The consensus among us is that the security situation does not require us to change our travel
    advice regarding South Korea i.e. that is safe to come here, and by implication to be here. 

However, in terms of North Korea, and in light of the DPRK authorities’ warning to foreign
    missions in Pyongyang last Friday that they cannot guarantee their safety, we are advising against
    all non-essential travel there, at least for the moment.  From our perspective here in the Embassy,
    and as agreed with Headquarters, this is a precautionary move, particularly in light of the fact that
    we do not have an Embassy there to render direct assistance to Irish citizens should it be required.

There has been a surge of registrations by members of the Irish community here with the Embassy
    and we are very happy to report that our database now includes most of the Irish community. 
    If you know of anyone that has not registered, please encourage them to do so here: http://bit.ly/16Htk0y. 
    The Embassy will use this database to contact Irish nationals in the event of any emergency.
    Some guidelines on preparing for an emergency situation are available here: http://bit.ly/16Hndrf.

For the time being, we at the Embassy will continue to engage with our colleagues here in Seoul
    and at Headquarters to monitor and assess the situation so that we are best placed to offer advice
    and answer your questions.

Best wishes,

Eamonn

Eamonn McKee
    Ambassador

Attention:

This e-mail is privileged and confidential.
    If you are not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
    Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This email was scanned by Ironport and has been certified virus free with the pattern file currently in use.
    This however cannot guarantee that it does not contain malicious content.

Tabhair aire:

Tá an r-phost seo faoi phribhléid agus faoi rún.
    Mura tusa an duine a bhí beartaithe leis an teachtaireacht seo a fháil, scrios é le do thoil agus cuir an seoltóir ar an eolas.
    Is leis an údar amháin aon dearcaí nó tuairimí a léirítear.

Scanadh an r-phost seo le Ironport agus deimhníodh go raibh sé saor ó víoras leis an bpatrúnchomhad atá in úsáid faoi láthair.
    Ní féidir a ráthú leis seo áfach nach bhfuil ábhar mailíseach ann.

Anyone know if the DMZ tours are still going on, given the current "tensions". It could be pretty cool to do a tour around now; I wonder would the North have a few more soldiers stationed there, just for show; there was only one lad there when I went.

Anyone know if the DMZ tours are still going on, given the current "tensions". It could be pretty cool to do a tour around now; I wonder would the North have a few more soldiers stationed there, just for show; there was only one lad there when I went.

I highly doubt it. They stopped tours when there were shootings across the border, when some mates were planning to head across - tour was cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm going on a tour to the DMZ with the USO on the 4th of May. I'll let you know how I get on! :)

I'm going on a tour to the DMZ with the USO on the 4th of May. I'll let you know how I get on! :)

You bringing your passport incase :D

Send me a gift from the forbidden Korea, Tara. Or just make up a sign with my name on it and the Korean soldier holding it. ^_^

Well I had my EPIK interview this morning. I stuttered and waffled some of my answers, I don't feel I did too well at all. I will find out the result on Monday :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

red_bairn wrote: »
    You bringing your passport incase :D

Send me a gift from the forbidden Korea, Tara. Or just make up a sign with my name on it and the Korean soldier holding it. ^_^

I'm gonna go to the forbidden Korea FO REALS in September! I'll try and send you a little something then! :)

Found out this morning that I passed my EPIK interview. I am absolutely delighted! :)

Found out this morning that I passed my EPIK interview. I am absolutely delighted! :)

Congrats! One step closer to kimchi.

Thanks :) I'm still buzzing after hearing the news, I've never done anything like this before. I'm hoping to have my documents posted by next week so it's finalised.

Anyone else on this thread working through EPIK? I wont know anyone going over there, but I'm mostly nervous by my lack of teaching experience. I have an on-line TEFL which was pretty rubbish to be honest. I tried getting voluntary work with a language school, even just to sit in on a class but because of confidentially issues I wasn't allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Hi All,

I just finished my CELT course and am awaiting the results (definitely passed)

The plan is to go to South Korea, and I've been reading this thread (as best I can, but there's 240 pages worth) to get the necessary information.

A few questions ....

- My Bachelors Degree : I don't have the parchment, but have the results supplement. People have posted about an apostillised document, sealed in an envelope etc. Do I ask my college/university for these or are they resupplied from HETAC ? , also does this needed to be done for every job you apply for... e.g. If you leave one place and go to another ?

*I've rang my college about the apostille and the transcripts. They can provide the transcript, but said I should probably go to QQI with regards to the Apostille copy of my degree. Can someone confirm that this is the correct process or who they go theirs from ? (My college was NCI)

- Contract / resignation - does anyone know if there are penalties or what the case is with resigning if you don't like a place after a few months ?

- Repository - has someone maybe posted a repository of links and reputable sources for jobs etc, DO's / Don'ts , which companies are good to work for etc... ?

I plan to go ASAP once I can get all my documents etc sorted, just seems a lot of hassle that I wasn't aware of

I can only speak from my experience of the EPIK system but I would imagine the procedures are all very similar.
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    My Bachelors Degree : I don't have the parchment, but have the results supplement. People have posted about an apostillised document, sealed in an envelope etc. Do I ask my college/university for these or are they resupplied from HETAC ? , also does this needed to be done for every job you apply for... e.g. If you leave one place and go to another ?

Are you still in college? Recruiters will accept the degree supplement initially but you will have to get hold of your actual parchment and get it authenticated. My degree parchment came in Latin. EPIK would only accept an English translation, so if you haven't received your parchment yet maybe ask that it be in English and save yourself €50 for the translation in the future.

Your transcripts are a statement of your results that come sealed in a University stamped envelope (do not break this seal!) If you are still a student you are entitled to these for free, if you have already graduated you can order them for about €20 for two copies. When requesting them you must specify to the University that they are sealed and you do not need to get this notarised or apostilled.
    *I've rang my college about the apostille and the transcripts. They can provide the transcript, but said I should probably go to QQI with regards to the Apostille copy of my degree. Can someone confirm that this is the correct process or who they go theirs from ? (My college was NCI)

Contact the Department of Foreign affairs ('authentication of documents' section on website) about getting the apostille. Get the degree off your Uni or NUI.ie
    - Contract / resignation - does anyone know if there are penalties or what the case is with resigning if you don't like a place after a few months ?

It would probably look very bad on a CV and you would lose a lot of benefits you would have been entitled to with the job, flight reimbursement etc. You may also have to pay money back to the company/recruiter. But that's just a guess. I would make sure to research the job as best you can and be sure you want to do it.

Hope that was some help. I'm in the process of getting documents sorted for working with EPIK and it's a headwreck! Now I have a question, what are peoples experiences of getting their degree apostilled? How long did it take you? I've been waiting nearly a week to hear back, is this normal?

Contact the Department of Foreign affairs ('authentication of documents' section on website) about getting the apostille. Get the degree off your Uni or NUI.ie

Are you sure Truley ? I was directed to the below link

http://www.hetac.ie/duplicate_parch.html which relates to getting a duplicate parchment. I'll ring the department of Foreign affairs anyways.
    And no, I'm not in college, I finished about...6 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭camoramo

Hey does anyone know the process of getting a D10 visa within Korea? Thanks

Are you sure Truley ? I was directed to the below link

http://www.hetac.ie/duplicate_parch.html which relates to getting a duplicate parchment. I'll ring the department of Foreign affairs anyways.
    And no, I'm not in college, I finished about...6 years ago

Sorry I had to get my parchment off NUI because I went to UCD but it might be different for you. The Department of Foreign affairs deals with the Apostille for the degree, not with getting the parchment itself.

camoramo wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know the process of getting a D10 visa within Korea? Thanks

I switched to a D10 back in Jan when i was between jobs.

You need a letter of release and you just go to immigration and fill in some forms.

I switched to a D10 back in Jan when i was between jobs.

You need a letter of release and you just go to immigration and fill in some forms.
    What's the D10 for, is that when you've got a visa allowing you to stay in the country and look for jobs?

What's the D10 for, is that when you've got a visa allowing you to stay in the country and look for jobs?

Yeh exactly. You can stay for 6 months looking for work.

- My Bachelors Degree :

Not got a clue where you get them from, but you will need to make a photocopy of the original and then get it notarised / apostilled. You don’t need it for every job you apply for, but you need it for every job that you are successful in obtaining.

*I've rang my college about the apostille and the transcripts.

College will give you the transcripts, when they do, take them and make loads of photocopies of each year. Then stick a copy of each years results into an envelope and have these sealed and stamped. Make 4-5 copies of the transcripts and maybe get 2-3 of them in envelopes and have them stamped and sealed.
    The annoying thing is, these aren’t even supposed to be needed for the visa process any more.

You leave that job you lose that E2 visa. You can go on a D10 while you look for another job, but each E2 visa is linked to an employer, it is not your visa. You may also not get paid the money you have earned and you should also pay back your employer for the flights they’ve shelled out for you. If you stay more than 6 months then you probably don’t have to pay back the flights.
    You will then have to do the whole application process all over again. Remember, your background check is only valid for 6 months.

Do:

ask as many questions as you can to the current teacher, potential boss and recruiter

look for information in here

check out the area, see if you like it

find out about the accommodation

join a facebook group for the area and ask questions

check out Daves ESl for jobs / facebook groups for areas will post jobs too

enjoy it

Don’t

Take the first offer that comes along just because the recruiter said it’ll be hard to find you anything better

Send your documents to anyone before you have signed a contract

Forget to bring brown sauce with you......or tea bag (if you like that weird crap)

Get the background check that costs about €6 and requires stuff being sent to Thurles / templemore...you only need the Superintendent to pretty much write you a letter saying you are conviction free.

cloneslad wrote: »
    - My Bachelors Degree :

Not got a clue where you get them from, but you will need to make a photocopy of the original and then get it notarised / apostilled. You don’t need it for every job you apply for, but you need it for every job that you are successful in obtaining.

*I've rang my college about the apostille and the transcripts.

College will give you the transcripts, when they do, take them and make loads of photocopies of each year. Then stick a copy of each years results into an envelope and have these sealed and stamped. Make 4-5 copies of the transcripts and maybe get 2-3 of them in envelopes and have them stamped and sealed.
    The annoying thing is, these aren’t even supposed to be needed for the visa process any more.

You leave that job you lose that E2 visa. You can go on a D10 while you look for another job, but each E2 visa is linked to an employer, it is not your visa. You may also not get paid the money you have earned and you should also pay back your employer for the flights they’ve shelled out for you. If you stay more than 6 months then you probably don’t have to pay back the flights.
    You will then have to do the whole application process all over again. Remember, your background check is only valid for 6 months.

Cheers for the information Cloneslad,

So you are saying I should make multiple copies on transcripts, but should I also do the same for the Parchment, and have them ALL apostillised ?
    "but each E2 visa is linked to an employer, it is not your visa"
    - can you clarify this statement ?

If i finish my contract with my employed after a year/6months etc, do I need to go through the whole process again, with regards to documents etc ?

cloneslad wrote: »
    Send your documents to anyone before you have signed a contract
    Finally, recruiters like EPIK, they ask for all these documents up front before considering you for a job I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭camoramo

Sorry only saw reply now I mean when you finish a contract, I finish in almost 4 months so is it easy or what's the process?

camoramo wrote: »
    Sorry only saw reply now I mean when you finish a contract, I finish in almost 4 months so is it easy or what's the process?

You need a letter of release from your school. They should provide it no problem if you've successfully completed your contract.

Bring your arc, passport, money and your letter to immigration and ask them to change you to a d10. You can fill in some forms and they will process everything and you will get a new arc in 2 weeks.

You can't apply for it until your old contract finishes or you have the letter saying you no longer work there and are free to work somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the information Cloneslad,

So you are saying I should make multiple copies on transcripts, but should I also do the same for the Parchment, and have them ALL apostillised ?

Yes to the transcripts, but don't bother getting your degree apostilled loads of times, this will cost you a fortune. You only need to have it done once.

As you'll also have your original degree you can make copies of it whenever you want.
    - can you clarify this statement ?

If i finish my contract with my employed after a year/6months etc, do I need to go through the whole process again, with regards to documents etc ?

E2 contracts are all for one year, if you leave the job before 12 months then you will have to do the whole application thing all over again, unless you can convince your old employer to transfer your visa to a new employer.

You can do the whole application from over in Korea though. You might have to take a trip to Japan to go their embassy there and get everything stamped.

Finally, recruiters like EPIK, they ask for all these documents up front before considering you for a job I think

EPIK are employers, not recruiters (in the sense of the word we refer to recruiters as). Be aware that you can only apply to the EPIK bulk hiring process once each intake. If you have a recruiter doing your application then don't allow any other recruiters to also apply for you, also don't apply directly yourself too.

They don't, as dar as I know, need all your documents until you are hired. You can send them copies via e-mail if they want.

Do not give a recruiter your documents or else you'll be stuck with them / have to get them all over again once the recruiter lets you down (which you will most likely experience at some stage or another)

Advertisement