Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

cloneslad wrote: »
    EPIK are employers, not recruiters (in the sense of the word we refer to recruiters as). Be aware that you can only apply to the EPIK bulk hiring process once each intake. If you have a recruiter doing your application then don't allow any other recruiters to also apply for you, also don't apply directly yourself too.

Excellent, thanks for all the info and help.
    With regards to the above - the apply directly yourself, are you referring to applying for EPIK or .. ?

I went into the City Centre today, paid for transcripts of all my years in NCI, I then asked if - when they arrive, I could photocopy them, bring them back and have them place them in NCI sealed envelopes to save me paying for multiples copies, they said that was fine.

I also went to HETAC (QQI) with an application stamped by a Peace commisioner to apply for a duplicate parchment.

Once I receive all these, I assume all that's left is to get them apostillised and get my Garda clearance before applying to the likes of EPIK etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Excellent, thanks for all the info and help.
    With regards to the above - the apply directly yourself, are you referring to applying for EPIK or .. ?

I went into the City Centre today, paid for transcripts of all my years in NCI, I then asked if - when they arrive, I could photocopy them, bring them back and have them place them in NCI sealed envelopes to save me paying for multiples copies, they said that was fine.

I also went to HETAC (QQI) with an application stamped by a Peace commisioner to apply for a duplicate parchment.

Once I receive all these, I assume all that's left is to get them apostillised and get my Garda clearance before applying to the likes of EPIK etc ?

Apply now, you may as well apply as early as possible.

With regards to EPIK, yes, if you apply directly to EPIK yourself, then do not allow a recruiter to apply for you too, this will automatically void your application for the bulk hiring intake.

However, feel free to apply for as many EPIK single positions you see advertised. While the bulk recruitment takes place in February / March and July / August there will also be individual EPIK schools looking for teachers throughout the year, this will be due to contract finishing outside of these hiring periods or people quitting their jobs.

Don't forget, you can also apply to Hagwons too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

Just popped in to say....Korea rocks.

Here one month and it's awesome. Unbelievably nice people, great food and fantastic opportunities.What surprised me most is how little crime there is.

Highly recommend it to anyone thinking of coming over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

^ Great to hear. I am so excited about going over, but nervous at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Nascimento wrote: »
    Just popped in to say....Korea rocks.

Here one month and it's awesome. Unbelievably nice people, great food and fantastic opportunities.What surprised me most is how little crime there is.

Highly recommend it to anyone thinking of coming over.

Good to hear, how're you finding cost of living etc in regard to wages??

• Advertisement

Yeah, can you give us a breakdown of life there ?
    Also, how and who you got your job with etc , past experience teaching, ages you are teaching now etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Doras15

Hey guys, I have decided to take the plunge and apply for a job out in S.Korea. I have a B.A. and a Masters in English Language Teaching and am just wondering what kind of schools should I be aiming to go to? I have one years experience in a secondary school and 4 months in a a university teaching Erasmus students.
    Have I a good chance of landing a uni job or should I aim for a public school? From reading this thread I do not believe teaching in a hagwon is for me because I want my time off and I do not like the idea of teaching people after they have already had a long day at school.

Also what would be the best city to go to if you wanted to mix with both expats and locals? I love city life so a big city would not faze me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Doras15 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have decided to take the plunge and apply for a job out in S.Korea. I have a B.A. and a Masters in English Language Teaching and am just wondering what kind of schools should I be aiming to go to? I have one years experience in a secondary school and 4 months in a a university teaching Erasmus students.
    Have I a good chance of landing a uni job or should I aim for a public school? From reading this thread I do not believe teaching in a hagwon is for me because I want my time off and I do not like the idea of teaching people after they have already had a long day at school.

Also what would be the best city to go to if you wanted to mix with both expats and locals? I love city life so a big city would not faze me in the slightest.

In no longer there so my information might be outdated a small bit. University all the way, you should have no problem on that one. I was working in a hagwon so I didn't get to experience public school but on the brightside I only worked 4/5 hrs a day and got paid more than public school. EPIK only hire twice a year and I think that's feb and sept. when I was there the Korean government was trying to cut numbers of native public teachers so not sure what way that is now either.

As for cities, I lived in Daegu. It's the 3rd or 4th biggest city in Korea. It's not too bad there and the public transport system is pretty good. Nightlife can get a bit boring but still lots of fun to be had.

Loved Busan, it's the Korean beach city! It's amazing, everything about it was great. Didn't live here but came a lot because it was close to Daegu.

No other words to discribe Seoul than huge! I was only there twice and I'm glad I had a Korean with me. Something like 12 different lines running throughout the city. Massive headache stuff!

Look into jeju island too, when I was meant to be going back I was going there. It's like a beautiful holiday island.

Start getting your paperwork in order now! It can be a nightmare.

Late and I'm wrecked! Anymore questions just ask.

Hey All,

I just got the first of my documents back , which is my Degree Cert from QQI.
    However, I've just noticed that the name on it is my Irish name "O Ceallachain" as opposed to "Callaghan" on other documents such as my passport, garda check etc

Can anyone please tell me if they've dealt with issues like this or will it be a big problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I have never dealt with the problem personally but I do know from other experiences that depending on who you are dealing with, Korean bureaucrats can be the biggest sticklers ever. It's a paper-shuffling, seal and stamp society here, they love red tape and documenting absolutely everything. They like to have everything done to the letter of the law and if it's not to their satisfaction or in strict adherence to the rules, they can sometimes be very hard-nosed and inflexible and just tell you to go away and come back with precisely what they want, even though the problem can seem very minor to our eyes.

Then you might hear about someone who had a whole lot of things wrong with their application and they luckily just had an official who accepted it no problems. It can vary a lot.

But anyway, avoid potential complications. You'll have a hard time explaining to a Korean that there's such things as the Irish language and the nuances of surname translation - they'll just see that your name is not as it is on the passport and perhaps refuse to accept that they are pertaining to one person. Just cover your bases when it comes to dealing with officialdom in Korea!

• Advertisement

Appreciate the response, and I understand the difficulty it may cause.

However, I am unaware of a solution to the problem, is it possible to have my degree (parchment/transcripts) all changed into my other name when all the College's records of me reference my Irish name ?

I had an interview with Footprints and mentioned it to them, I will also mention it to their other teams when I have to contact them and obviously to the Korean embassy etc. Hopefully it's not an issue, but I can see how and why it would be

I think you should really try and get your degree printed in your official name, as they are very fussy about that kind of thing, especially the public schools.

Truley wrote: »
    I think you should really try and get your degree printed in your official name, as they are very fussy about that kind of thing, especially the public schools.

I'll ring up NCI and QQI tomorrow and discuss it.
    I found the below link on HETACs' site
    Reprint (Name Change)
    QQI issues replacement parchments, where name of the awardee on the parchment has changed. Unlike the previous situation, you should return the parchment along with a copy of the appropriate identification papers (passport/ marriage certificate/ deed poll etc) to the provider. This will ensure that there is consistency of records between the provider and QQI. The provider will then send the material to QQI.
    A reprint may be issued to your address. There is no charge for this service.

Oh that's great, if there's no charge you should definitely get it done! I had to re order my parchment from NUI because my original one was in Latin. Cost me €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 angryangel

So got my visa number today, hope to get to the embassy soon for processing.

Question came up today about how much money to bring and what form to take it in. I can't say I'm crazy about carrying a lot of cash around for the first while so I'm wondering

- What's the best way to bring it out? Cash/Card/Traveller Cheques/Any other way?

- How much to bring? I've been advised about E1000 worth at least. Does that sound about right?

- How long does it take to sort an account out? I heard I have to wait for an Alien Reg card before getting full banking facilities.

Any advice very much appreciated.

angryangel wrote: »

Question came up today about how much money to bring and what form to take it in. I can't say I'm crazy about carrying a lot of cash around for the first while so I'm wondering

- What's the best way to bring it out? Cash/Card/Traveller Cheques/Any other way? I found cash was best.Korea is a very very safe place. I had a visa card for emergency and the only place you can withdraw money was from the american grocery stores. 7/11 etc but I think that was changing when I was leaving.

- How much to bring? I've been advised about E1000 worth at least. Does that sound about right? Depends on when you first payday will be and how you want to live! Whereabouts are you going to? Are you getting your airfare reimbursed?

- How long does it take to sort an account out? I heard I have to wait for an Alien Reg card before getting full banking facilities. Yep thats true, your boss should bring you not long after you get there and then after a few weeks and then your boss should tell you its there and they will bring you to a bank and it will all be done in a fairly quickly!

Any more questions just fire away. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

angryangel wrote: »

A quick interview and visa processed in a day (for me anyway).

I think I had a fair bit on my credit card and a grand or more in cash.

- What's the best way to bring it out? Cash/Card/Traveller Cheques/Any other way?

Cash & card

- How much to bring? I've been advised about E1000 worth at least. Does that sound about right?
    Well you should get some of your flight reimbursed in the first week or two. Maybe ask about when this will happen when you arrive.

- How long does it take to sort an account out? I heard I have to wait for an Alien Reg card before getting full banking facilities.

I think I had my card and bank account before my first months salary. So usually a few weeks. I've heard of some people waiting almost 2months :/

No problem. ;)

Hey all,

I've finally got most/all my documents sorted, and went through Footprints to apply for EPIK in August

Can I also apply for Hagwons too, and what is the best way to go about this ? Would Footprints be annoyed if I wanted to apply to some Hagwons whilst awaiting EPIK confirmation ?

Also, I know EPIK is public school (1 teach max) and Hagwons (Private with multiple) , but what are your experiences here, if you've done both, or from what friends have told you ?
    Is it better to start off in a Hagwon and then go to and public school.

I don't mind teaching of course, but the fact that there may be 30-40 in a public school seems a bit daunting compared to the 15 or so of a private school.

Can any EPIK teachers shed some light for me, same for Hagwons, and also as above, the best way to apply for Hagwon positions (through recruiter or sites likes Daves ESL Cafe ? )

Cheers

I'm starting with EPIK in August, so obviously I don't have any experience yet. But here is a good blog post I've read about EPIK vs Hagwons. I have a few friends' that have taught in Korea and they've had similar experiences.

http://wheninnewplaces.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/private-vs-public-schools-round-1/

Thanks, by the sound of that it seems EPIK would be the way to go.
    The only thing if I got it though, is sitting around till August...

Did they tell you when you will be flying over or starting ?

• Advertisement

Thanks, by the sound of that it seems EPIK would be the way to go.
    The only thing if I got it though, is sitting around till August...

Did they tell you when you will be flying over or starting ?

Not yet, I find out around mid June what my exact starting date is. It's not that long away, middle of August! I definitely think EPIK is a safer bet, I would be so nervous going down the Hagwon route.

Not yet, I find out around mid June what my exact starting date is. It's not that long away, middle of August! I definitely think EPIK is a safer bet, I would be so nervous going down the Hagwon route.

Truley, I've sent in my first round documents via Footprints, and am awaiting a response now.
    How long did it take for EPIK or your recruiter to get back to you with regards to 2nd round documents or for an interview ?

Also, is there anything standout in the interview that I should be prepared for ?.

Truley, I've sent in my first round documents via Footprints, and am awaiting a response now.
    How long did it take for EPIK or your recruiter to get back to you with regards to 2nd round documents or for an interview ?

Also, is there anything standout in the interview that I should be prepared for ?.

It was a couple of weeks before they got back to me, it's a very long process. My advice is to have all documents ready to post as soon as you get notice you've passed your interview. This means having your Apostille degree, criminal check etc. Get this stuff done while you're waiting. You're place wont be secured until these documents are sent in an approved.

Interview questions were very standard, why choose Korea? why teaching? What are your strengths and weakness. How would you handle a large classroom/differing abilities? They will go over aspects of your lesson plan and your app form, so make sure to have a copy of it beside you. Most of all speak clearly and relax. They wont try to catch you out. Best of luck, and hopefully see you at orientation in August! :D

A couple of weeks really ?....ok . Cheers and thanks for the reply, I'll try have everything ready in case I get the call (though the Garda somehow lost my application for a police check first time round so had to fill out and apply again)

A couple of weeks really ?....ok . Cheers and thanks for the reply, I'll try have everything ready in case I get the call (though the Garda somehow lost my application for a police check first time round so had to fill out and apply again)

Don't worry, the Garda check costs nothing and only takes about 2-3 weeks.* Apply immediately. If you find out you passed the interview don't waste more time getting the documents in order, have them good to go. It's coming towards the end of applications so I would imagine places are more competitive than when I applied.

*(By the way make sure it's the correct Garda check form, it should be signed by your local Superintendent. Not the Garda vetting form that's you get for working in Ireland and costs money.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Morshemallow

Don't worry, the Garda check costs nothing and only takes about 2-3 weeks.* Apply immediately. If you find out you passed the interview don't waste more time getting the documents in order, have them good to go. It's coming towards the end of applications so I would imagine places are more competitive than when I applied.

*(By the way make sure it's the correct Garda check form, it should be signed by your local Superintendent. Not the Garda vetting form that's you get for working in Ireland and costs money.)

Hey just have a question to ask you about the Garda check. Do you have to submit your request in writing to the superintendent? Or is it a specific form I've to fill out? I just wanted to make absolutely sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Hey just have a question to ask you about the Garda check. Do you have to submit your request in writing to the superintendent? Or is it a specific form I've to fill out? I just wanted to make absolutely sure.

No form.

You usually just provide all your previous addresses.

From what i remember i wrote it all in a letter and addressed it to the superintendent.

Just go to your local garda station and tell them what you need. They were really helpful when I went for mine and I got it back the next day, although I have heard of people waiting awhile.

Every station seems to be different, a lot of Gardaí don't seem to know the procedure for people going abroad. When I asked at my local station they hadn't a clue what I was talking about, they kept trying to get me to apply for vetting the usual way. In the end I had to get the people in the vetting office to call my local office and explain what they needed to do. They then drew up a quick and crude form on word for me to fill out my details, previous addresses etc. The superintendent had it to me in less than three weeks. They had never done anything like it before, but they were very nice about it.

Does anybody already in Korea know what the story is for Irish people paying taxes while working there? I heard I have to get a 'Certificate of Residency' to be exempt from paying Korean tax, where do I get this?

• Advertisement

Every station seems to be different, a lot of Gardaí don't seem to know the procedure for people going abroad. When I asked at my local station they hadn't a clue what I was talking about, they kept trying to get me to apply for vetting the usual way. In the end I had to get the people in the vetting office to call my local office and explain what they needed to do. They then drew up a quick and crude form on word for me to fill out my details, previous addresses etc. The superintendent had it to me in less than three weeks. They had never done anything like it before, but they were very nice about it.

Does anybody already in Korea know what the story is for Irish people paying taxes while working there? I heard I have to get a 'Certificate of Residency' to be exempt from paying Korean tax, where do I get this?

Think I paid 3% or 4%, it couldn't be claimed back and as far as I know it's not possible to be exempt from paying it. Same as pension and medical insurance, well some hagwons will give the money to the employee instead but all EPIK will automatically pay it.

Ok that's great thanks! I was thinking that myself but when I went to the Garda Station the officer I spoke to didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Hey guys, I need to get a credit card sent over to me from Ireland. An Post and AIB have been typically useless so far. What are my options? DHL et al?

m83 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I need to get a credit card sent over to me from Ireland. An Post and AIB have been typically useless so far. What are my options? DHL et al?

Registered letter would be a safe way, and not too expensive.

Registered letter would be a safe way, and not too expensive.

Tried that already and An Post won't send a credit card. I could of course lie about what's in the package but that leaves me hangin' if the card goes missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Tried that already and An Post won't send a credit card. I could of course lie about what's in the package but that leaves me hangin' if the card goes missing.

Try UPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I've had my mum send me two different cards and just hide them among other stuff like clothes and tayto! I've had no problems.

I've had my mum send me two different cards and just hide them among other stuff like clothes and tayto! I've had no problems.

Good to know that Mr.D - I'll give it a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Thanks :) I'm still buzzing after hearing the news, I've never done anything like this before. I'm hoping to have my documents posted by next week so it's finalised.

Anyone else on this thread working through EPIK? I wont know anyone going over there, but I'm mostly nervous by my lack of teaching experience. I have an on-line TEFL which was pretty rubbish to be honest. I tried getting voluntary work with a language school, even just to sit in on a class but because of confidentially issues I wasn't allowed.

I'm also going through EPIK but I haven't sent off my documents yet. I kinda am torn between Japan and Korea (I know, sacrilege) so I don't know what to doooo....

ALSO congrats on passing the interview! I know, I felt I did really badly too, getting up so early didn't help!

I'm still waiting on a date for an interview :( , been about a week now since I sent off all the first round documents

I'm still waiting on a date for an interview :( , been about a week now since I sent off all the first round documents

Don't worry, it takes ages for everyone. Did they confirm they received your app and first round documents?

• Advertisement

Phew, cheers for the reply :)
    Don't worry, it takes ages for everyone. Did they confirm they received your app and first round documents?

The email I got from Footprints was
    We recently submitted your application to EPIK! Thank you for promptly submitting all your required materials thus far. The attached files are the final versions that have been submitted.
    When you courier your documents please use the attached application to print, sign, and send or you could encounter problems. Please be very careful to only use the attached documents in future correspondence with the EPIK program or it could negatively impact your chances of procuring a teaching position with them.
    We should be hearing back from EPIK within the next couple of weeks as to whether or not they would like to set up an interview with you. We will keep you informed as we hear any updates.
    Please remember to keep working on your second round documents.
    Best Regards

Luna Ahn /Asia placement department manager
    Public and Private School Placement team:
    Footprints Recruiting ®

So I hope so ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jc273

Was looking at the Footprints site there and it says that they won't be looking at hires again until September, for February. What date did applications have to be in by for the September hires? Would have loved to try to go in the next couple of months, if anyone knows any different it'd be great.

jc273 wrote: »
    Was looking at the Footprints site there and it says that they won't be looking at hires again until September, for February. What date did applications have to be in by for the September hires? Would have loved to try to go in the next couple of months, if anyone knows any different it'd be great.

EPIK are at the tail end of their hiring process but they are definitely still taking applications. Get one in ASAP. Why don't you just go directly through the EPIK website? No need for a recruiting company.

Got a date for an interview :D Next week at 1:20am, hopefully goes ok :D

Also, quick question regarding the below.
    I'll be heading in to town to collect my amended Degree

Do I have to get a photocopy of it, then have it signed by a notary(notarised)...then apostilised ? Or will the Dept of Foreign affairs do both for me ?
    I'll also be taking in my police cert with me to get apostilised.
    Copy of University Degree with Apostille:
    Bachelors Degree: For your degree, it’s important to remember that you can’t send your original copy
    to Korea. With the degree, you must make a photocopy. If your degree is larger than the standard paper
    size, you should be able to shrink it to fit on one page (generally people at office supply stores like Staples are happy
    to help with this). Next, you need to get the copy notarized. This can just be done at a local notary public. Finally, you
    send the degree to the Secretary of State to get apostilled

Got a date for an interview :D Next week at 1:20am, hopefully goes ok :D

Also, quick question regarding the below.
    I'll be heading in to town to collect my amended Degree

Do I have to get a photocopy of it, then have it signed by a notary(notarised)...then apostilised ? Or will the Dept of Foreign affairs do both for me ?
    I'll also be taking in my police cert with me to get apostilised.

Yes, exactly. Get the photocopy of the degree notarised by a Notary Public (solicitor) then get that and the original police cert apostilised by the Dept of Foreign affairs. Best of luck in the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dcuhead

Hi All,
    I'm in a bit of a panic. I am returning to Korea for my 2nd year (3 years later!) in 2 weeks and still don't have my visa! :o

My flight is booked and I'm set to leave on Monday June 17th. I was supposed to have my visa by now but due to a lovely Fcuk up, it got delayed. Immigration finally have all the documents they need, and said they will get me my visa issuance number as quick as possible.

Question - How long did it take for them to send your visa issuance number?? Im hoping and praying that it will take less than 7 days!

Once I get it I still need to send it to the Korean Embassy in dublin, and they said it takes 5 days to process. HELP!! I don't have that long as my flight leaves in less than 2 weeks. :(

Question - How long did it take for Korean embassy in Dublin to process your visa? They say 5 days...but I'm hoping it could be less.

Thanks for any help, replies, advice! x

Janet :)

Sorry I can't be of help Janet, still trying to go for my first time.

On a sidenote, did you have to go through all the documentation and apostille stuff the 2nd time round again ?...I would assume so seeing as it's a 3year gap, but do you have to if you were to immediately continue on a 2nd year ? , are you going public/private and through which agency ?

Hope you get all your docs ASAP, all you can do is call each day and try chase it up, hopefully someone will be kind enough to understand your situation and speed it up.

Just finished my interview with EPIK...I don't think it went too well, so much waffle and open ended questions.
    What are my teaching philosophies etc :(

I'm not usually nervous, but I could even hear it in my voice. Well, all done I guess, just hoping for the best now

Just finished my interview with EPIK...I don't think it went too well, so much waffle and open ended questions.

I'm not usually nervous, but I could even hear it in my voice. Well, all done I guess, just hoping for the best now

Try not to worry about it, I did terribly in my interview. I was so sure I wouldn't pass, but I did. Their standards must be pretty low! :pac: You will know by Friday anyway, would be nice to have another EPIKer on here. I don't know anyone going over.

I wouldn't worry I felt a bit dodgy about my interview but i passed and a friend of mine felt the exact same as she got asked a few strange questions about teaching etiquette that threw her a little. Unless there are any major issues most people pass the interview I think. Also the EPIK coordinators are lovely and really helpful.

Document process is a bit weary at the moment just waiting on my police check which should be here soon. Then there is just my degree and because I don't graduate until the end of August, I'm applying for the October intake. Would love to go earlier but that's the way it goes I suppose!

• Advertisement
Advertisement