Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 'SIM Only' broadband - Possible?

• 25-01-2009 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, i've been looking at the Vodafone website and I can't find an answer to this....

I got my O2 Hauwei (sp?) E270 unlocked, and I plan to change over to Vodafone as i'm not happy with the O2 signal in a certain area, but Vodafone there's no issues so best thing to do is to just change.

Now i'm planning on buying a router and also adding an external antenna to the E270, so when I move over to Vodafone all I want to have to do is replace the SIM, as opposed to having to use the Vodafone dongle, which I don't know if it accepts an external antenna, nor do I know if it's compatable with the router I plan on buying (Looks like I'll get the Dovado as it seems to fit the bill)

So now that i've told you WHY i'd like a SIM Only, does anyone know if it's possible to get a Vodafone SIM Only 3g deal? If not, i'll have to do further research to see if the dongle they provide can take an external antenna etc.

Thanks folks!

-EDIT- Actually, rather than starting a new thread, does anyone know what Make/Model the Vodafone USB 3g modem is? And if it accepts an external antenna?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kileir

Hey JohnCleary, If you manage to acquire a Vodafone Sim can I offer to purchase your O2 sim? (Assuming you no longer need it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Check vodafone.ie, they offer several modems, but I don't believe they let you get their broadband without buying one of the modems.

@Kileir, the SIM will be useless to you, as it is already registered to someone else, who will presumably be deactivating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've just spotted that Vodafone are doing an offer of a 'free modem' at the moment.

Now, since I won't be paying extra for a Vodafone modem i'm not going to use, couldn't I just stick the Vodafone SIM into my E270 modem?? (Modem is unlocked) - What would I have to change? Only a few settings at most??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You could install the software that comes with the Vodafone modem, then just use the O2 modem. That _should_ work. I've used an E270 with the E220 software on O2 before.

Failing that, look for the settings in the Vodafone software, and copy them over to the old O2 software. If you're doing this, you might be best to use two separate PCs, in case there are any conflicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks for the tip. I really don't see a problem, but would love to hear if anyone has actually done it.

-EDIT- After reading this: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1025031.html

Here is a pic of the connector: http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3872/e169extantennaconnectorcr6.jpg

It appears that the E169 (Which Vodafone uses) actually accepts an external antenna - problem solved methinks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement