Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiddink has dig at Ronaldo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

It's just his opinion don't think its a personal dig at ronaldo, and yeah I'd agree with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

i was going to respond to this with a long post then i decided not to casue its just laughable, but he's entitled to his opinion, but i find it laughable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I'm a Liverpool fan and I think Gerrard is World Class.

However, based on the amount of goals and assists Ronaldo got last year he deserved it. He was very good and unplayable at times. Messi didn't deserve it either, but that's because he was injured for most of the season last year. Despite that I believe Messi is the best player in the world at the moment.

I think Gerrard is playing in a bad team at Liverpool. If he had the team around him that Ronaldo does then maybe the statement would be more accurate. Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Hiddink voted
    1. Xavi
    2. Gerrard
    3. Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Harpy wrote: »
    i was going to respond to this with a long post then i decided not to casue its just laughable, but he's entitled to his opinion, but i find it laughable...

laughable is a bit harsh, he's entitled to the opinion.

ronaldo deserved it, but stevie deserves his plaudits all the same for a great year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

wow, a novelty on boards, a ronaldo thread:rolleyes:

seriously, there must be 50 on here and each of them would fit nicely into the super thread. or maybe there should be a ronaldo super thread at this stage?:cool:

I propose a banning for the next ronaldo thread unless its something major, in all fairness, who cares what hiddink has to say about him. must be a slow news day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As a United fan I think his points are valid. But I would personally put Rooney ahead of both Gerrard and Ronaldo at this point in time.

Rooney ahead of both Gerrard and Ronaldo at this point in time.

i'm sorry but lmfao :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    wow, a novelty on boards, a ronaldo thread:rolleyes:

seriously, there must be 50 on here and each of them would fit nicely into the super thread. or maybe there should be a ronaldo super thread at this stage?:cool:

I propose a banning for the next ronaldo thread unless its something major, in all fairness, who cares what hiddink has to say about him. must be a slow news day.

What he said

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm sorry but lmfao :eek:

Who's been more important to United this season? Ronaldo or Rooney? Rooney.

Who's been more important to England in their WC qualifiers? Gerrard or Rooney? Rooney.

Who do I regard as the better player right now? Rooney.

What exactly do you find so laughable about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Well in fairness you could have 10+ united players ahead of ronaldo going by this season alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Yawn.

Old washed up egotistical idiot slags other young probably washed up egotistical idiot to garnish attention of idiotic ego.

Who's been more important to United this season? Ronaldo or Rooney? Rooney.

Who's been more important to England in their WC qualifiers? Gerrard or Rooney? Rooney.

Who do I regard as the better player right now? Rooney.

What exactly do you find so laughable about that?

ronaldo got world player of the year for a reason.

but if you take the very recent past i'll grant you that rooney has been more impressive than ronaldo. so lmfao was perhaps slightly harsh.

but comparing rooney to gerrard purely in terms of England qualifiers is a bit laughable im afraid. gerrard is approaching the form of his life for his club, dragging liverpool kicking and screaming with him. rooney, while setting the tempo for many of utd's games and performing very well, has not been nearly as impressive.

rooney has simply not been in that league, even before his injury. sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Ronaldo is world class..Gerrard is world class. Any other opinions than this are just nonsense.

SlickRic wrote: »
    ronaldo got world player of the year for a reason.

but if you take the very recent past i'll grant you that rooney has been more impressive than ronaldo. so lmfao was perhaps slightly harsh.

It was actually quite laughable on your part because I doubt any United fan would put Ronaldo ahead of Rooney at the minute and my comment was assessing the players at this moment in time.
    SlickRic wrote:
    but comparing rooney to gerrard purely in terms of England qualifiers is a bit laughable im afraid. gerrard is approaching the form of his life for his club, dragging liverpool kicking and screaming with him. rooney, while setting the tempo for many of utd's games and performing very well, has not been nearly as impressive.

rooney has simply not been in that league, even before his injury. sorry.

Uh no it's not laughable at all I'm afraid because I'm sure Fabio Capello would have Rooney's name on the teamsheet ahead of Gerrard's for every game. Gerrard has been below-par for England whereas Rooney has been the driving force. Look at the amount of stick Gerrard gets from England fans. (I happen to think this is OTT but even so you don't hear it about Rooney) You think ignoring the pair's national form is laughable when they happen to be in the same side? Please.

As for Rooney not being nearly as impressive? I think that's ludicrous. Look at Gerrard's performance against Stoke and tell me he has been better than Rooney. He has had some off days this season and I can't recall many from Rooney. Plenty from Berbatov and even Tevez mind.

Gerrard is one of the best players in the league no doubt but if you're trying to claim he has been more instrumental than Rooney has been for club and country then I would strongly disagree.

Laugh it up all you want but as Rafa would say, these are the facts. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

Samurai wrote: »
    Well in fairness you could have 10+ united players ahead of ronaldo going by this season alone

oh dear. name them so please, all of them. then be prepared for you post to be ripped apart. vidic and evra have been uniteds stand out players by some distance. nobody else is on a par with them and wont either.

alot of uniteds team have been injured at various times of the season, rooney has been good in patches, sublime in fact, but has also had poor periods.

i would rate ronaldo on a par this season with tevez, scholes, etc etc so to say that theres 10+ players better than him is total nonsense. carrick has been really good as has rafael. your then looking at rio, park, fletcher and berbatov as the only other players to play the same amount as ronaldo.

christ, the lack of judgement here on this site on ronaldo is amazing, do you all read the sun newspaper by any chance? as to why united fans cant support every single player on our team, i cannot understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

"Hiddink insisted that Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, who today faces an FA Cup Merseyside derby with Everton, had a greater claim to being named the best player on the planet"

full link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1127281/Ronaldo-glamour-boy-row-Hes-fancy-haircut-says-Guus-Hiddink.html

In response to Mascherano diving and trying to get the Everton player booked,
    was bad but not as bad as Ronaldo

He also did it at the olympics and got Lucas sent off

In response to Gerrard getting arrested,
    I have never seen Gerrard do what Ronaldo has done in the past 4 games.

Gerrard had commeted bad challenges in the game but i would not call him a thug like Ronaldo who kicks out at players when on the ground like Dawson and last week v Stoke or last night v boro

Obsessed much?:rolleyes:

Laugh it up all you want but as Rafa would say, these are the facts. ;)

how can you say 'im sure he's the first name on the England team sheet'? how could you possibly make that assumption? They're both in the team when fit.

that being said I don't want to derail this thread with this pointless back-and-forth because we're not going to agree on this.

one thing i will say is that gerrard's importance is very different to wayne's i think. gerrard grabs games by the scruff of the neck and creates moments of inspiration. rooney sets the tone for utd with his attitude, and creates space for others to work in.

just to say they're both world class players, a credit to the league.

you can't measure they're importance to their respective teams. i could pull stats of goals gerrard's scored, games he's heavily influenced, assists he's had, chances he's created; im sure you could do the same for wayne.

I'd imagine they're not all that different.

so to argue one is definitively better than the other is probably pointless, and the argument's been had a million times before. i just wanted to make it clear i didn't believe you could just say rooney is ahead him (and ronaldo, though i've pulled back on him i'll admit seen as your talking right now) given gerrard's performances this season.

so we'll leave it at that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

As a United fan I think his points are valid. But I would personally put Rooney ahead of both Gerrard and Ronaldo at this point in time.

Wheres the rofflecopter when you need it ?

Stats are from 07/08 season + 08/09 season.

Gerrard (midfielder): 36 goals 26 assists
    Rooney (striker) : 27 goals 20 assists

Last season, Ronaldo was better than both of them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

An Citeog wrote: »
    In response to Mascherano diving and trying to get the Everton player booked,

In response to Gerrard getting arrested,

Obsessed much?:rolleyes:

Not as much as you are with me it would seem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tusky wrote: »

Sthhhats and Fhhacxts again. Brilliant.

I think Steven Gerrard is excellent player, I'd rather Rooney in my team any days. what am I basing this on? I watch football and I think he contributes more. Have you the stats for the amount of throw ins or double super duper shimmys they both do?

Tbh I dont think either of them are World class. Its an overused word. I would put neither in my world XI, I think I would put Ronaldo in it. Thats how I judge world class. They're both close but I think there is better out there.

Also, I wouldnt call Rooney a striker but thats nit picking. Is there a word for that position? In the hole, off the top man, behind the striker, support foward, shizzle ma nizzle he's got your back dawg front man?

Oh and I'm not sure what a rofflecopter is tbh and I am fecking delighted I'm not sure!

Trilla wrote: »

I think Steven Gerrard is excellent player, I'd rather Rooney in my team any days. what am I basing this on? I watch football and I think he contributes more. Have you the stats for the amount of throw ins or double super duper shimmys they both do?

Tbh I dont think either of them are World class. Its an overused word. I would put neither in my world XI, I think I would put Ronaldo in it. Thats how I judge world class. They're both close but I think there is better out there.

Also, I wouldnt call Rooney a striker but thats nit picking. Is there a word for that position? In the hole, off the top man, behind the striker, support foward, shizzle ma nizzle he's got your back dawg front man?

Oh and I'm not sure what a rofflecopter is tbh and I am fecking delighted I'm not sure!

200px-Roflcopter.gif

Stats dont prove everything, youre right. But a striker/support strikers main job is to score and create goals. Gerrard has done that better over the past two season in my opinion. His combined goals and assists is a whopping 62 and this season isnt even over yet.

Rooneys is a respectable 47, but he should be getting more than Gerrard seeing as he normally plays further up the pitch. I think Gerrards all round game is a wee bit better than Rooneys too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Trilla wrote: »

Hard fact > untrained perception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the idea of Gerrard being a much more team-based player is hilarious. He's as selfish as Ronaldo is. Messi and Xavi are team players, but Gerrard is just like Ronaldo, he leads the team by doing it all himself. The reason that they get away with it is because they are so bloody good at it.

PHB wrote: »
    I think the idea of Gerrard being a much more team-based player is hilarious. He's as selfish as Ronaldo is. Messi and Xavi are team players, but Gerrard is just like Ronaldo, he leads the team by doing it all himself. The reason that they get away with it is because they are so bloody good at it.

I think there is a clear difference though in terms of what they bring to the table when their team doesn't have the ball. Gerrard tries very hard defensively - and is an effective contributor in that aspect of the game because of how good an athlete he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gerrard does track back, and in terms of attitude, works much harder. But they are both extremely selfish players on the ball, unlike Messi and Xavi. Hence I don't really get what Hiddink is on about.
    'Of course, Ronaldo entertains the crowds and has great skills. But it is too much glamour and show. Gerrard, Barcelona's Xavi and Messi are not as much focused on themselves. They focus on the team.'

Gerrard is as focused on himself when he has the ball as Ronaldo. Xavi and Messi aren't. Different types of player imo, and I can see why Hiddink would like the team focused people, but I don't really get where he is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

not sure can you really just judge it like that (not that I'm disagreeing)

but gerrard plays in a team with a lot less play makers and as is his role he generally is given the ball a lot more than anyone else

put Gerrard in the united team and he just would n't get as many opportunities to assist or score as your competing with usually 6 other world class out field players where at Liverpool he's usually surronded by 1

at liverpool they always look to stevie G as an outball

at united they look to ronaldo/scholes/carrick/rooney/berbo etc etc

your around better players and some who are very selfish.

Gerrard does track back, and in terms of attitude, works much harder. But they are both extremely selfish players on the ball, unlike Messi and Xavi. Hence I don't really get what Hiddink is on about.

Gerrard is as focused on himself when he has the ball as Ronaldo. Xavi and Messi aren't. Different types of player imo, and I can see why Hiddink would like the team focused people, but I don't really get where he is coming from.

I think you are grossly underestimating how important your first sentence is in relation to the idea of whether someone is a "team" player or not. After all, in big games you are going to spend at least 40% of a game without the ball.

But maybe we will just have to agree to disagree on the importance of that aspect of the game - which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Gerrard is world class but is also selfish in his attitude as in he wants to be the one who plays that hollywood pass or the long range shot, whereas you would see players like Xavi, Fabregas, Alonso pass the ball simply, Gerrard gives the ball away quite alot compared to these players but is incredible for getting those goals and assists.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    but gerrard plays in a team with a lot less play makers and as is his role he generally is given the ball a lot more than anyone else

put Gerrard in the united team and he just would n't get as many opportunities to assist or score as your competing with usually 6 other world class out field players where at Liverpool he's usually surronded by 1

at liverpool they always look to stevie G as an outball

at united they look to ronaldo/scholes/carrick/rooney/berbo etc etc

Riggght....so let me get this straight. Its harder for Rooney to score and create goals because there are more world class players in his team ? Yep, thats the most ridiculous thing anyone has every said on this board.

Premier League 08/09:

Rooney 18 games 6 goals 4 assists (9 goals in all comps)
    Gerrard 20 games 9 goals 5 assists (15 goals in all comps)

I dont see how anyone can argue that Rooney is having a better season, seeing as Gerrard has played the vast majority of games this year as a central midfielder, yet is outscoring and out-assisting him.

Either way, youre wrong. Alonso is the main play maker at Liverpool. In every game that he has started this season, Alonso has completed more passes than any other Liverpool player. In fact, I think hes top of the premier league pass rankings.

26 assists over the last season and a half says youre wrong. If there is a pass on, Gerrard will take it rather than trying to beat his man or shoot. I think hes very much a team player.

So let me get this straight. Gerrard is Liverpools captain, scores plenty of goals, creates plenty of goals, puts in lots of tackles and tracks back...yet hes not a team player ?

I actually think Ronaldo has turned into more of a team player in the last few years too. Much more than he used to be anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The very fact that you are including Carrick as a world class player makes me giggle. So Carrick and Scholes are world class (hate that word, everyone has a different definition) but Alonso isnt ?

Haha, Brilliant. So Alonso has played good for what 15-20 games after being quite frankly ****e for 2 seasons and suddenly he is world class?

Whatever about the term World Class, Carrick and Scholes as a partnership for the past 2 and half seasons have been playing and WINNING at World Class level. Very strange that makes you Giggle.

Boggles wrote: »
    Haha, Brilliant. So Alonso has played good for what 15-20 games after being quite frankly ****e for 2 seasons and suddenly he is world class?

Whatever about the term World Class, Carrick and Scholes as a partnership for the past 2 and half seasons have been playing and WINNING at World Class level. Very strange that makes you Giggle.

Nope - I dont think Alonso is world class. But then again, I dont think Carrick or Scholes are either. I was laughing at him calling them world class. I think Alonso is as good as either of them.

p.s Im talking about the Scholes of today, not the Scholes of previous years when he was definitely world class.

Nope - I dont think Alonso is world class. But then again, I dont think Carrick or Scholes are either. I was laughing at him calling them world class.

Carrick and Scholes are Top Class, their record together would prove that, no?

Riggght....so let me get this straight. Its harder for Rooney to score and create goals because there are more world class players in his team ? Yep, thats the most ridiculous thing anyone has every said on this board.

Premier League 08/09:

Rooney 18 games 6 goals 4 assists (9 goals in all comps)
    Gerrard 20 games 9 goals 5 assists (15 goals in all comps)

I dont see how anyone can argue that Rooney is having a better season, seeing as Gerrard has played the vast majority of games this year as a central midfielder, yet is outscoring and out-assisting him.

Either way, youre wrong. Alonso is the main play maker at Liverpool. In every game that he has started this season, Alonso has completed more passes than any other Liverpool player. In fact, I think hes top of the premier league pass rankings.

26 assists over the last season and a half says youre wrong. If there is a pass on, Gerrard will take it rather than trying to beat his man or shoot. I think hes very much a team player.

I actually think Ronaldo has turned into more of a team player in the last few years too. Much more than he used to be anyway.

I never said rooney was having a better season, rooney should score a hell of a lot more goals he is a striker after all and stevie G is not.

but rooney is surrounded by selfish hungry players that can all do what he does so at united the goals and assits are spread out through a lot more players than they would be at liverpool united don't depend on two players for everything united don't fall apart when two players are missing.

it's not that difficult to understand like...

Nope - I dont think Alonso is world class. But then again, I dont think Carrick or Scholes are either. I was laughing at him calling them world class. I think Alonso is as good as either of them.

p.s Im talking about the Scholes of today, not the Scholes of previous years when he was definitely world class.

you don;t think one of the best mid field players to ever grace any pitch is world class...

I think i've read enough..

• Advertisement

Carrick and Scholes are Top Class, their record together would prove that, no?

they're only English, European and world winners like...

there no alonso :rolleyes:

united don't depend on two players for everything united don't fall apart when two players are missing.

it's not that difficult to understand like...

Liverpool 2 - 1 Manchester United

Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Skrtel, Carragher, Aurelio, Benayoun , Alonso, Mascherano , Riera , Kuyt, Keane.
    you don;t think one of the best mid field players to ever grace any pitch is world class...

I think i've read enough..

Again, the world class debate ? What does it mean ? Everyone has a different definiton.

Some say to be world call you have to get into a world XI - Shcoles wouldnt.

Some say to be world class you have to be among the top 3 midfielders in the world - Scholes isnt.

Some say to be world class you have to be one of the top 5 midfielders in the world - Scholes isnt.

He was, but he isnt anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Still feeding the trolls lads?

Melion wrote: »

Ive got a bit of free time, they looked hungry :p

Liverpool 2 - 1 Manchester United

Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Skrtel, Carragher, Aurelio, Benayoun , Alonso, Mascherano , Riera , Kuyt, Keane.

oh well that settles that then a brown own goal and you're world world beaters without them

good lad

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: It's getting very old Melion.

oh well that settles that then a brown own goal and you're world world beaters without them

good lad

United were played off the pitch that day. I was there, ive watched it a few times since. No self-respecting football fan can deny that.

you can you know...just _not_ post in the thread i know crazy concept.

Again, the world class debate ? What does it mean ? Everyone has a different definiton.

Some say to be world call you have to get into a world XI - Shcoles wouldnt.

Some say to be world class you have to be among the top 3 midfielders in the world - Scholes isnt.

Some say to be world class you have to be one of the top 5 midfielders in the world - Scholes isnt.

He was, but he isnt anymore.

Playing consistently and winning at the highest level for me is world class.

Scholes was and still is IMO.

:rolleyes: It's getting very old Melion.

What is?

Every thread just boils down to the same willy-waving in here, its not just you that does it and i know a lot of Liverpool fans are guilty of it too but it really is getting beyond a joke.

What is?

Every thread just boils down to the same willy-waving in here, its not just you that does it and i know a lot of Liverpool fans are guilty of it too but it really is getting beyond a joke.

If you feel that strongly about it report it, go away and don't read the thread. It's very simple.

What is?

and if you look in this thread i see your willy is waving high and mighty so what are you complaining about?

as i said it's easy ignore people if you don't want to read there posts or simply don't post on the thread no one is forcing you

Then you are basically agreeing with me. The term world class is ridiculous because everyone...EVERYONE has a different definition. So theres no point arguing about it.

But then again, your logic is completely flawed. There are plenty of players throughout the ages that havent won things at the highest level but were still world class. Did Torres only become world class when he won the European Championship ? Because thats his first trophy.

By your rational, anyone who has played regularly in the united team would be world class. Its a flawed definition.

Is JOS world class? Was Phil Neville?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Gerrard is a world class player as is Ronaldo .It's just that Gerrard dont to prima donna very well .

• Advertisement
Advertisement