Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rewind.....

• 25-01-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

l finished a roll of film (Nikon EM) & now need to take it out of the camera as someone wants to borrow it.
    But whenever l try rewinding the film back into its case using the little nob on the top left side of the camera (with the engraved arrow),nothing happens.

l don't want to ruin my film, so can anyone advise me Pleeeeeze!

Linda....:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Is there a button on the underside of the camera, beneath where the film would spool up?

Hold that down when you're rewinding your film if there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Thanks Fajitas....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

lol the joys of ye olde technology... if there isn't already the capability
    you can also hack double exposures out of that button.

Tighten the film with the rewind lever; and fix it tight (e.g. elastic band) then
    hold down the button and use the film advance lever to cycle the shutter.
    Release the button and the film rewind knob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

yup - I snapped a roll of film first time rewinding - it had been about 10 years since I last used a SLR camera...that's kinda what got me into dSLR photography (though now I've come full circle and am on the prowl for a Nikon FE).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Thirdfox wrote: »
    yup - I snapped a roll of film first time rewinding - it had been about 10 years since I last used a SLR camera...that's kinda what got me into dSLR photography (though now I've come full circle and am on the prowl for a Nikon FE).

Me too, an fm or an fe or the 2 version or possibly a oly om 1 or 2. Should be fun shooting film manually :)

• Advertisement

What are the prices like back in Ireland?

One guy in the camera shop here in the US wanted 300 dollars for it (to be fair it was completely rebuilt)... lol thanks but no thanks.

Trying to get one for around 75 dollars here...

Don't want the FE2 since I've got pre-AI lenses that I want to be able to meter with on the FE. I may have to settle for the FM (manual exposure only) if I can't find one...

One guy in the camera shop here in the US wanted 300 dollars for it (to be fair it was completely rebuilt)... lol thanks but no thanks.

Trying to get one for around 75 dollars here...

Don't want the FE2 since I've got pre-AI lenses that I want to be able to meter with on the FE. I may have to settle for the FM (manual exposure only) if I can't find one...

Meh only been lookin at fleabay..... In or around 100 euro to 150 for a fm2 without a lens. Was also lookin at a old om1 or 2. From what i here there as good as the nikons and the zuiko primes are of fantastic quality.

Don't write off the quality of the old Nikkors either ;) though I did hear the 50mm f2 zuiko is of legendary quality? Are 2nd hand zuikos as easy to come by as 2nd hand pre-ai and ai/ais Nikkors? There might be a price difference too.

Sorry OP for going off topic but I think your question has been already answered right? :)

l paid €5 in a charity shop, popped in some film & had a blast...not developing myself, leaving that to the professionals......:rolleyes:
    3191182781_432bc77d69.jpg

Everything works perfectly...So far!! film going in tomorrow to camera exchange, hear they can put it onto disc for downloading. captured a lot of Trinity Collage & Stephens Green. Trying to keep it real...70's style.

Heard l could get around $80, but it's a keeper, great to look at & a little dream to use....Now all i need is a few good shots......:o
    Here is a site l came across, Not recommending it as a place to buy, but has good info on a lot of old style Cams. Someone may know if it is a legit site, l really don't know...Really nice lenses....So shineysmiley_bling.gif
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mrmartinweb.com/images/camera/slr/nikonemlg.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mrmartinweb.com/35mmslr.html&usg=__Qc31eukWmm8wZPVsyL5kTrKatdw=&h=753&w=922&sz=132&hl=en&start

You can definitely get some cheap primes for it too (lens quality blows the modern medium priced lenses out of the water in terms of contrast/sharpness). The 50mm f2 Nikkor-H that I have is sublime to use. And I got it for 35 euro delivered from Italy (ebay).

• Advertisement

I'd get a newer manual Nikon except that I want to be able to use pre-AI lenses... the FE, FM and F3-4 are the only cameras that completely bridge the lens compatibility gap I think.

People on ebay are willing to pay a lot more than what I am it seems though ;) (makes sense if they can then sell it in a shop for 300 dollars).

And of course with a film camera - no need to worry about batteries running out when you put it onto bulb mode (astrophotography) - I'd want to leave the film to expose for a good 3-4 hours and see the star trails from that (my current D40 dSLR is limited to 30 minutes exposure time).

Don't write off the quality of the old Nikkors either ;) though I did hear the 50mm f2 zuiko is of legendary quality? Are 2nd hand zuikos as easy to come by as 2nd hand pre-ai and ai/ais Nikkors? There might be a price difference too.

Sorry OP for going off topic but I think your question has been already answered right? :)

The way I see it is that a: the old ai nikkors are of fantastic quality but they still can be used on some new cameras (thus making them dearer)

B: a lot of film photographers would still use the venerable fm2 as a back up thus pushin up the price.

The same thing happend with konica minolta when they went bust - plenty of their great lenses could be had for a song but as soon a sony launched the a100 the prices soared.

The old olympus om mount is out of use and the same with the minolta md mount so their zukio and rokkor lenses can be as cheap as chips due to the low demand.

I'v done plenty research on manual stuff and the two manual bodies i'm considering are the olyumpus om 1/2 or the minolta srt 101/102/202. All these seem to run for about 70 to 100 on ebay with a fifty :)

Though if an fm2 with a lens comes cheap, i might consider that too

Astrophotography? See linky

www.scopereviews.com/om.html

landyman
    If you have the funds go & buy it tomorrow, Don't hesitate or second think it.

You have researched it, so go & get what you want. You won't ever regret it.

Are you an Aquarian.. indecisive!!! :D

Meh still thinking..... Torn between a fm2 or a srt with olympus in third. Had the pleasure of using a fm2 last year and its so smoooth but a little expensive and iv no f mount lenses : (

l pearse wrote: »
    landyman
    If you have the funds go & buy it tomorrow, Don't hesitate or second think it.

You have researched it, so go & get what you want. You won't ever regret it.

Are you an Aquarian.. lndicius !!! :D

Nope saggaterious (i cant even spell it lol)

Yay - got a FE (black - hmmm black :) ) for 84 dollars delivered, and a 28mm f3.5 for 26 dollars.

Now to get some film ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Two invaluable links for all the above ...

All the nikon manuals you care to think about ...
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon.htm

and mir.com. This is an absolutely invaluable resource about all things nikon.
    here's the em/fg/fg-20 page:
    http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/emfgfg20/index.htm

here's the fe-series page:
    http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfeseries/index.htm

I have a lovely little FE-2 myself. I got it over the FE because of the TTL flash metering. Thats come in useful once or twice :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

and mir.com.
    +1....brilliant site.

+1....brilliant site.

+2 great site! Also rokkorfiles.com is good for minolta stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement