Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about getting a Chinchilla

Options
  • 25-01-2009 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Its my daughters birthday next month (will be 11) and I'm thinking about getting her a chinchilla as she saw one in a local pet shop and adores it. I've read up and it seems they can be quite good pets. I've not had a chinchilla before but have had a guinea pig myself when I was her age and another when she was very young (1-3), which she hardly remembers. We've been researching online for info.

The one in the pet shop seems fully grown tho, I'd rather get one thats younger, plus I'd rather buy privately if I could, as the animals in the petshop seemed a little stressed. Also some of the birds in the petshop looked quite shabby, I've kept lots of birds in my time, I know a little about it. Does anyone know where I could buy one privately, or a petshop with better condition animals. Also is there somewhere online to buy a cage and equipment? The deal in the petshop is €120 for just the chinchilla, €350 for chinchilla, cage, bedding, food, water bottle etc. Anyone know what I'd expect to pay elsewhere?

Any advise on this would be great,

Thanks in advance,

Pog

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

120 bloody hell didnt know they cost that much. Me girlfriends brother in law is manager of pet mania in carlow. Ill get her to ring him and see what offers if any they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Arent Chincilla's the animals that throw their own crap at ye when they are bored or hungry?

Its a serious question cos thats what my missus is telling me. Is she winding me up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

my friend has had a chinchilla for the past year or so. its not the most friendly pet ive seen. the bloody thing growls like a dog! she got it for her 12 year old girl who has been handling it from the start but it seems to prefer to be left alone. must admit they are the most adorable looking pets but thats about it imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Probably best to do a bit of research on chinchillas to make sure they're right as a pet for your daughter: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/chinchillas/p/Chinchillas.htm

Make sure you know what you're committing to- they can live 15 years or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've been reading up and I am aware that some don't like to be handled or touched. Others get quite tame and like to be cuddled, which is why I'd like to find a younger one. I've finger tamed Cocatiels and Parakeets before so I'm prepared to put in the time.

I'm in west Roscommon, work in Mayo, so anywhere in the midlands/west would be suitable, Carlow would be a bit of a trip, although not ruling it out.

Ya, I thought €120 was a little steep alright, when googling gave me prices of UK£30ish. Why are they so expensive here or is it just this single pet store?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

as far as i know my friend paid about 150 for hers. that included large cage and other bits and pieces to get her started. that was from a pet store (in waterford i think)

Gauge wrote: »
    Probably best to do a bit of research on chinchillas to make sure they're right as a pet for your daughter: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/chinchillas/p/Chinchillas.htm

Make sure you know what you're committing to- they can live 15 years or more.

Thanks for the link

We've been reading lot of other info also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

My friend got one from the aviary in Kilmacangoue, Co Wicklow (I think it's called Copsewood Aviary). The man who own's the place is brilliant, takes great care of all the animals and makes sure they're going to good homes where the people know how to and will take care of them.

I think they were going for around €90 each, and he has cages there that he recommend for the chinchillas. I don't think he has them all the time, so it would pay to ring in advance and he can tell you when they are getting some in.

If you want to order food, they have a good selection on www.zooplus.ie , and they'll deliver directly to your door. They do a special mineral stone on the site for Chinchilllas, and it's only €3 for two large stones.

My friend got one from the aviary in Kilmacangoue, Co Wicklow (I think it's called Copsewood Aviary). The man who own's the place is brilliant, takes great care of all the animals and makes sure they're going to good homes where the people know how to and will take care of them.

I think they were going for around €90 each, and he has cages there that he recommend for the chinchillas. I don't think he has them all the time, so it would pay to ring in advance and he can tell you when they are getting some in.

If you want to order food, they have a good selection on www.zooplus.ie , and they'll deliver directly to your door. They do a special mineral stone on the site for Chinchilllas, and it's only €3 for two large stones.

€90 is a little better, but Wicklow is a bit of a spin tho :eek:

Thanks for the link for the food online

Advertisement