Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair infraction?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭

I got an infraction for this post in the television forum for swearing.

"I despise that c**t. He's called Jeff Randall i think. I can't stand him. He seems to think he's more important than he is."

Given i put stars in it myself i don't think it should count as swearing as the full word was not displayed.

Also iv seen people do this in other forums and nothing is said about it.

I think an infraction was a bit unfair as the mod could have just have pm'd me to say that isn't allowed rather then give me an infraction.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I got an infraction for this post in the television forum for swearing.

"I despise that c**t. He's called Jeff Randall i think. I can't stand him. He seems to think he's more important than he is."

Given i put stars in it myself i don't think it should count as swearing as the full word was not displayed.

Also iv seen people do this in other forums and nothing is said about it.

I think an infraction was a bit unfair as the mod could have just have pm'd me to say that isn't allowed rather then give me an infraction.

or they could have banned you for breaking the charter. I really don't get why people complain about infractions to be honest. You said:
    mod could have just have pm'd me to say that isn't allowed rather then give me an infraction

that's pretty much what the mod did do - sending an infraction is just sending a pre-written pm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Firstly, the mod didn't know you put the *** in yourself, the filter could have removed them.

Secondly, each forum has different rules, best read each charter for an indication of what's acceptable.

Finally, I don't agree with infractions for swearing generally. I don't think I've swore on boards unless I was explaining the [nofilter][/nofilter] tags. I still don't think it should be punishable but it ain't up to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

tbh wrote: »
    or they could have banned you for breaking the charter. I really don't get why people complain about infractions to be honest. You said:

that's pretty much what the mod did do - sending an infraction is just sending a pre-written pm.

I read the charter and did'nt see any mention of swearing. Given the word wasn't shown fully i think it's a bit harsh.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some mods give infractions for it in some forums, others don't. We are not one hive mind and most forums have their own moderating style. It's only an infraction tbh.

5starpool wrote: »
    Some mods give infractions for it in some forums, others don't. We are not one hive mind and most forums have their own moderating style. It's only an infraction tbh.

Ya fair enough. I just sent a pm to the mod to give them my side of the story. I justed started this thread to find out if i was in the wrong or not before sending a pm to the mod.

thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

an infraction for censoring yourself...that's an interesting concept!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Finally, I don't agree with infractions for swearing generally. I don't think I've swore on boards unless I was explaining the [nofilter][/nofilter] tags. I still don't think it should be punishable but it ain't up to me.

Same as. I really don't think we should reprimand users for swearing apart from extreme circumstances.

Well the Mod pm'd me back saying the infraction still stands.

I still think it was too harsh but i don't see the point on making anymore out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What has the world come to w**n a u**r can't even say **** without getting an inf**ction!?

B***squeak!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

B***squeak!!!
    +1. Most sensible thing posted so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Last thing on the television board charter:
    Foul language and cursing is not allowed on this forum. Anyone swearing and using foul language will be infracted and banned for repeat offences. Using fonts to get around the swear filter will also result in action being taken by a mod.
    It's specifically mentioned so the infraction can't have come as any surprise if you read it.

sceptre wrote: »
    Last thing on the television board charter:

It's specifically mentioned so the infraction can't have come as any surprise if you read it.

That's refering to using capitals or u' or a's with a fada over them which would lead to the full word being displayed.

What i did was different to that and is no different to what newspapers do to cover up a swear word or a tv program bleeping out a swear word. It should'nt count as swearing because the full swear word was'nt displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's not the same. What would be the same in that respect would be an article in a newspaper where the author of the article gave their opinion and said that "Joe Bloggs is a c**t" as opposed to what you are suggesting which is quoting someone else calling Joe Bloggs a c**t. The latter may be seen in newspapers, the former will not be. Unless maybe the paper has a NSFW tag on page 3/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

We brought in this particular rule because the TV forum had a time where every second post particularly in any RTÉ related thread (Lucy Kennedy, Colm & Jim Jim, Project Ha Ha etc) or 'Adverts you despise' was absolutely choc-a-bloc with excessive cursing.

We put in this rule for a number of reasons.

i) although it doesn't always seem like it, we like to think of the TV forum as quite an posters of all-ages place (I mean it would explain the audience for Gossip Girl... ohh, "sik burnzz") and the swearing should be kept to a minimum.
    ii) See You Next Tuesday. Yes, that word. The infamous one which divides people - the group who use it in excess and the group who hate people who use it in excess. It's not a pleasant word.. it's not necessary smart and it's not clever people.
    iii) There's only so many stars I can tolerate in each post.. I'm not an astrologist. It's not pleasant to read.
    iv) We're all aware how easy it is to get around the swear filter.. it's in place for a reason.
    v) The Final Frontier (not my favourite Star Trek movie)

The rule will stand.. the infraction will stand.

basquille wrote: »
    We brought in this particular rule because the TV forum had a time where every second post particularly in any RTÉ related thread (Lucy Kennedy, Colm & Jim Jim, Project Ha Ha etc) or 'Adverts you despise' was absolutely choc-a-bloc with excessive cursing.

i) although it doesn't always seem like it, we like to think of the TV forum as quite an posters of all-ages place (I mean it would explain the audience for Gossip Girl... ohh, "sik burnzz") and the swearing should be kept to a minimum.
    ii) See You Next Tuesday. Yes, that word. The infamous one which divides people - the group who use it in excess and the group who hate people who use it in excess. It's not a pleasant word.. it's not necessary smart and it's not clever people.
    iii) There's only so many stars I can tolerate in each post.. I'm not an astrologist. It's not pleasant to read.
    iv) We're all aware how easy it is to get around the swear filter.. it's in place for a reason.

Fair enough. I won't be posting in the forum again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fair enough. I won't be posting in the forum again.
    Sorry... you said that and all I could see was this:

baby%20sulk.bmp

I'm unaware what the big deal is. Have you a problem posting without using bad language?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

baby%20sulk.bmp

I'm unaware what the big deal is. Have you a problem posting without using bad language?! :confused:
    i'd let it go basq, sounds like you're better off!

baby%20sulk.bmp

Well done. Posting in a forum moderated by yourself seems really tempting now.

I thought an infraction was a bit harsh. If your fellow mod had just replied to my post on the thread saying it was'nt acceptable instead of giving me an infraction i would have read it and accepted that i should'nt do that in you forum again.

I'm not trying to be a sulk but i felt i was wronged and am a bit annoyed about it. I reckon as a mod you would welcome debate about the rules as it allows things to be clarified to users.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I thought an infraction was a bit harsh. If your fellow mod had just replied to my post on the thread saying it was'nt acceptable instead of giving me an infraction i would have read it and accepted that i should'nt do that in you forum again.
    No, many many people flaunt the rules and claim never to have read the on-thread warning. I've seen it so often, you warn someone and they don't take heed, or ignore you.

Much more clarity and transparency in an infraction as you definitely see the warning and there is a clear history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As above.

Also some posters seem to think that Television is an extension of After Hours and that anything goes. This is clearly not the case. If you want to F and B and call people C's etc you know where to go and Television is not the place. The rule was brought in for a reason and is in the charter. If you can't be bothered to follow the rules or read the charter then that is your problem not mine or the other mods of the forum.

If other forums allow swearing so be it. That does not give you Carte Blanche to swear in a forum that does not allow it. I don't care what other mods allow in their forums, if you visit mine you will obey the rules.

The OP was got off lightly. I could have banned but I didn't.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    As above.

Also some posters seem to think that Television is an extension of After Hours and that anything goes. This is clearly not the case. If you want to F and B and call people C's etc you know where to go and Television is not the place. The rule was brought in for a reason and is in the charter. If you can't be bothered to follow the rules or read the charter then that is your problem not mine or the other mods of the forum.

If other forums allow swearing so be it. That does not give you Carte Blanche to swear in a forum that does not allow it. I don't care what other mods allow in their forums, if you visit mine you will obey the rules.

The OP was got off lightly. I could have banned but I didn't.

OK fine. I'll accept the infraction and leave it at that. I was'nt trying to attack you or the other mod's by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OK, I think we're done, everyone seems satisfied, if not happy. I'll close this as the world and his mother will have an opinion and a cat pic in the morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement