Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice place in bray to stay on valentines day?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 8:17pm

hey just lookin for a recommendation for a nice hotel to stay with my girlfriend on v day. Something not too expensive would be cool :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Ramada Southern cross (google it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Foxytocin

The Ramada overlooks a roundabout and a road! Some rooms may have nice views of the sugar loaf, but I think The HeatherHouse Hotel (the martello) over looking the sea, or, for a bit of olde worlde charm, The Old Rectory on Herbert road would be two more 'atmos' choices. Iyswim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Not too far away is the Glenview in Glen of the downs, probably do you a good deal, great scenary, glen of the downs to the front and the sugarloaf to the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Foxytocin wrote: »
    ... for a bit of olde worlde charm, The Old Rectory on Herbert road would be two more 'atmos' choices.
    Out of pure curiosity, and not wanting to go too off-topic, what's that place like? I live literally just around the corner from it and pass it every day, but it always looks a bit kind of 'run down' from the outside. I've always thought it might be handy if we had visitors that we couldn't fit in our house, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Foxytocin

Well, my Dad's two American cousins stayed there when they visited Ireland and they loiked it although they weren't massively impressed with the shower, but that was their only criticism, and there were some enlglish motorbikers staying there at the same time and apparently THEIR shower was fine!
    So... I'd say for an Irish person, for one night, you could get past the shower issue. You know, shower training at 7,05am shower itself after shower-training ..

You must be my neighbour Alun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

The Porterhouse on the sea front used to have rooms-I presume they still do. I saw the brochure a couple of years ago and they looked quite funky with the sea view balcony a nice touch. You're also in the middle of the best of Bray nightlife too (so I'm led to believe-ahem).

Well, my Dad's two American cousins stayed there when they visited Ireland and they liked it although they weren't massively impressed with the shower, but that was their only criticism, and there were some English motorbikers staying there at the same time and apparently THEIR shower was fine!
    So... I'd say for an Irish person, for one night, you could get past the shower issue. You know, shower training at 7,05am shower itself after shower-training ..
    Yeah, Americans can be a bit picky about showers and stuff like that. Sounds OK though, as long as it's clean and has a decent breakfast.
    You must be my neighbour Alun.
    I'm waving out of the window now ... can you see me? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

The Ramada overlooks a roundabout and a road! Some rooms may have nice views of the sugar loaf, but I think The HeatherHouse Hotel (the martello) over looking the sea, or, for a bit of olde worlde charm, The Old Rectory on Herbert road would be two more 'atmos' choices. Iyswim.

And the Heather House is ontop of a Nightclub same thing gonna get noise one way or another i would suggest the esplanade great hotel its away from the madness at the other end of the seafront or Royal Hotel on the main st is another good choice

http://www.esplanadehotelbray.com/

http://www.royalhotel.ie/

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    nice place in bray to stay on valentines day?

The DART on the way out :pac:

*I'm from there so legally able to take the pi$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

you'd be lucky in febuary but the sun rising up over the sea, seen from any of the waterfront hotels is a sight to see.. that is if you're planning an all-nighter ;)

so esplanade or heatherhouse..

never sayed in ramada but looks like bog standard roadside hotel, nothing special.. royal has pool for the mornin

• Advertisement

Papa Smut wrote: »
    The DART on the way out :pac:

*I'm from there so legally able to take the pi$$

lol funny!! but seriously how fantastic is that dart journey, what a view.. if only it didn't lead to work-land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

I stayed in the Bray Head Hotel once. Very nice

Which century was that in? I get the impression that the only use that place gets these days is as a film set when the producers want to create that authentic, seedy, run-down 60's feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Whaaat?!! You stayed in the Hotel California?!! I had a drink there once and that was scary-I can't imagine actually staying there...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I often see washing hanging out on the fire excape of that place as I go by on the Dart - are there people still living in the building?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

the hotel does, indeed, take in paying guests still!! old regulars who still come to partake of the healthgiving sea air! but it is used mainly as a film/fashion shoot location. the owner is a lovely lady and a very shrewd business woman!! she gets a hell of a lot more money from production companies than guests!

There was a film crew there only a week or so ago in fact. The most recent use I'm aware of was in the BBC series (if you can call 3 programmes a series!) George Gently.

They also make some money from luring in unsuspecting tourists into their "car park" for €3 a pop, when they can park outside Dawsons amusements for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

thats mad - I really thought it was closed and derilict. They applied for permission to turn it into apartments a few years back - don't know whether they got approval though. I remember going to the discos in there, drinking cans of bulmers and dancing to the Shamen's "Ebeneezer goode"! Damn, I feel old now... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Filming was taking place on Monday for a new film "Happy Ever Afters". It was mentioned in one of the freebie papers on Tuesday morning.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Oh the bray head hotel

i have vague members of saturday nights there.

paper peeling off the walls, sweat dripping on your head from the ceiling, drink from cans, the DJ re-playing the music from 12am onward

wow - happy days

oh being asked by a young man if you want to "go out on the stones"

using your fake ID to get in. Never forget one night a week after i turned 18 and had aall the right ID - Tony Doyle refused to let me in, even though i was a regular for about a year before hand

I LOVE IT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Oh the bray head hotel

paper peeling off the walls, sweat dripping on your head from the ceiling, drink from cans, the DJ re-playing the music from 12am onward

wow - happy days

using your fake ID to get in. Never forget one night a week after i turned 18 and had aall the right ID - Tony Doyle refused to let me in, even though i was a regular for about a year before hand

I LOVE IT

Jaysus, sure that sounds like the upstairs of Jim Doyles!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Oh the bray head hotel

wow - happy days

I LOVE IT

Oh yes, The Alternative as it was called. It was a great spot. Great music and everyone was there. New Year's Eve when the whole placed open up with 3 separate clubs was great.

Just as well the place was dark though as it was and still is a filthy kip!

Splendour wrote: »
    Whaaat?!! You stayed in the Hotel California?!! I had a drink there once and that was scary-I can't imagine actually staying there...:eek:

I did indeed. We had nowhere else to go from what I remember.

Looking at the above I wish I was actually originally from Bray. Seems I missed out on so much what with only spending my entire 20s in "Peeker's" in Dun Laoghaire. What a fire hazard that place was.. (new thread idea starting..)

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Looking at the above I wish I was actually originally from Bray. Seems I missed out on so much what with only spending my entire 20s in "Peeker's" in Dun Laoghaire. What a fire hazard that place was.. (new thread idea starting..)

Everybody wishes they were from Bray these days.

Everybody wishes they were from Bray these days.

Yeah, I get that a lot..

Oh the bray head hotel

wow - happy days

I LOVE IT

Ah yes.. but who remembers the roller-disco down in woodbrook??

haha.. ah i kid you i'm not really that old, but i hear they were the shiz!! All sortsa naughty goins on i've heard from the auld lads about back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shellz

i was walking by the bray head hotel on tuesday, my boyf was telling me about the days of The Alternative (he's a few years older ;) ), it sounded great craic! opening up on new year's eve and all that. we looked in through the windows - it looks like time stopped there sometime in mid-70s :D it's always reminded me of the hotel from The Shining...

oh, did anyone see the photography exhibition in the Mermaid a little while back, with shots from inside the Bray Head? looks pretty cool in there.

the stained glass windows in the bar on the left of the building are sooooo prettyyyyyy

Advertisement