Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English accents irritating?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Right, so I was half-watching the All Ireland Talent Show, when one of the panelists said something close to "many Irish people find English accents irritating" (the Irish contestant was doing a poem/monologue in an English accent).

As an English person living in Dublin for about 4 years now, I found this genuinely surprising, both the thought (since I've never experience any racism here) and the expression on national TV.

I can't imagine anyone saying on TV "many Irish people find black people a bit scary", or "many English people find slightly overweight ginger women slightly disgusting".

Discuss?

English accents irritating? 94 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    38% 36 votes
    Maybe
    61% 58 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I find a lot of irish accents irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

I have no problem with them although i would find that tv show you were talking about irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I should perhaps clarify that I'm not offended, just surprised :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's not racist though. It's no different to someone saying they don't like Cork,Dublin or Belfast accents.

As for the english accent i do find them kind of annoying. The only one thats really irritating is the liverpool accent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Seriously, The only English accent that irritates me is the likes of 'z' list chav celebs. No worse than our skangers though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Lumen wrote: »
    As an English person living in Dublin for about 4 years now, I found this genuinely surprising, both the thought (since I've never experience any racism here) and the expression on national TV.
    You sure its Dublin you've been living in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

English accents, the decent ones, are sexy.

Fake accents are annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Some Irish accents are irritating, as are some english accents etc. etc.

You sure its Dublin you've been living in?

Oh yeah. Sorry, I mean "no racism directed towards me". I had a bizarre conversation with a dub scumbag (who happens to be in my extended family, by marriage) where he slagged off various classes of immigrant.

He might have attempting irony, except he's not that bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

some English accents grate on me like all wight geezer types

brummy/bolton/new castle/any northy types are grand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Really like some of the English accents over here. Hot! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Maybe the people who get irritated are irritating feckers themselves :rolleyes:

I can't imagine anyone saying on TV "many English people find slightly overweight ginger women slightly disgusting".

Discuss?

How did my eyes skip this bit!
    There are many many english televison programmes with themes dedicated to gingerist propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Some English accents are annoying, Liverpool and Newcastle spring to mind.

Some English accents are amazing. Jaime Murray :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Stephen Frys accent is irritating

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No. Some of them sound stupid but you can say that about most countries accents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Right, so I was half-watching the All Ireland Talent Show...

Right so to begin with, your brain had switched off and and wanted to watch something and someone that should both be on a garbage tip!
    Well anything that came from either, I wouldn't put much value on or faith in from the start anyway.

Reality garbage at its worst - anything else after tuning in is just piling more schite onto schite already.
    I'm outa here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Samurai wrote: »
    Stephen Frys accent is irritating

:mad: An outrageous slur on a great man. Cad!

Oh yeah which cretin on the panel said what you reckon she said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

English accents are annoying but nowhere near as annoying as Northern Irish accents..eugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yes.very

Biggins wrote: »
    Right so to begin with, your brain had switched off and and wanted to watch something and someone that should both be on a garbage tip!
    Well anything that came from either, I wouldn't put much value on or faith in from the start anyway.

Reality garbage at its worst - nuff' said.

Wife was watching. I was on boards, obviously, engaging in serious debate with the cream of society.

furiously deletes post about American women

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Stephen Fry's accent is orgasmic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Alec Guinness has a lovely English accent. So do I. The rest are irritating like dreadlocks on white folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Only coming from men... English accent on a woman, seeexxxyyyy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

ClioV6 wrote: »
    English accents are annoying but nowhere near as annoying as Northern Irish accents..eugh.

what about the Cork accent............. whenever someone from Cork phones me, I think it's a pikey!!

Nothing wrong with the English or Northern Ireland accents.. well most of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It was Screechy Blaithnead from the Afternoon Show that said it.

Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Donegal accent is superior to all. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Some of them can be annoying, some can be hot (developing a thing for women with Geordie accents at the mo:pac:) and some just plain funny.
    Pretty much the same as Ireland - for every normal sounding person, there's someone from D4 or Cork...

Advertisement