Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English accents irritating?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I can listen to an English accent without my ears bleeding which is a good thing!

The same can't be said for Irish people who use English slang excessively. Everytime I hear an Irish person say "bloke" or "tosser" I...FALCON PAWNCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Even the English find some other English accents annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I find scousers extremely annoying. I'll change the channel the second I hear a thick Liverpool accent on TV.

Really thick Cockney accents drive me up the wall too. The type that pronounce "three" as "free".

Anything else I don't mind at all. In fact I find the Cornwall/Bristol and Birmingham accents lovingly hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

London accents are good.

The rest annoy the hell out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I like most English accents. There are few that grate but I'd say the same for some Irish accents and some strains of the American accent. What I don't like though is Irish people putting on fake English accents in order to make themselves sound posh even though they're from Wexford or Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I don't find any English accents irritating as such though I don't like the really strong Cockney or Liverpool ones. I agree with an earlier poster in saying the Northern Irish is woeful. Orla from one of the big brothers has the worst one in my opinion...just horrible!!! I know a chap from Castleblayney, Co Monaghan, he had a lovely slight northern lilt to his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Moonbaby wrote: »
    How did my eyes skip this bit!
    There are many many english televison programmes with themes dedicated to gingerist propaganda.

+1

OP, you probably should have done some research before posting that bit. Catherine Tate ring a bell?.....

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=yEYi7XPs3ew

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

m83 wrote: »
    English accents, the decent ones, are sexy.

Absolutely, I love some of the accents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I find the self-righteous cockney accent, and the snobby posh london accent intolerable. I also find the Dublin 4 accent, and scanger Dublin accent annoying also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There is nothing worse then a scouser MAITTE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've got a fairly neutral English accent and only posh it up a bit when I'm giving a peasant a good kicking for looking at me in a funny way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eeeeee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Lumen wrote: »
    Right, so I was half-watching the All Ireland Talent Show, when one of the panelists said something close to "many Irish people find English accents irritating" (the Irish contestant was doing a poem/monologue in an English accent).

No just her. Think she was trying to sound like Kate Nash who also puts on a accent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Can't stand the english accents. Never pronounce "R"s in the end of their words or use the "a" instead of "aw"!

For example, the words rather, four and Afghanistan. The brits usually say rawthah, foah and Awfghawnistawn.

It's just one of those things that really annoys me, petty I know. :)

It's fun asking some of my english friends to say the letter R, all I get is "Aw"s. :D

EDIT: the Norn Iron accents are 5x as annoying. Hoiy Noiy Broiyn Coiw

starn wrote: »
    No just her. Think she was trying to sound like Kate Nash who also puts on a accent

or Cockney Rap = Crap for short.

I bleedin ate listenin to fackin cockneys.

House wrote: »
    Can't stand the english accents. Never pronounce "R"s in the end of their words or use the "a" instead of "aw"!

For example, the words rather, four and Afghanistan. The brits usually say rawthah, foah and Awfghawnistawn.

It's just one of those things that really annoys me, petty I know. :)

It's fun asking some of my english friends to say the letter R, all I get is "Aw"s. :D

Are you sure you haven't been listening to Americans trying to speak in an English accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭patchybaby

don't mind the english accent but prefer the scottish accent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are you sure you haven't been listening to Americans trying to speak in an English accent?

Eh, no, I think most english people would find that remark offensive! :D

The Americans are better at their "R"s, but alternate 50/50 on the nasaly aaaaaaas and the more british aws.

Ever hear a yank say Afghanistan on Fox news? No two anchors say it the same.

aaafghawnistaaaaan, afghanistawn, awfghawnistaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Maybe even worse, actually.

The sad thing is, the Irish and the South Africans are the best at speaking the Queen's English correctly, enunciating all the letters better than the yanks or the brits. :) IMO, we're definitely more consistent in our pronunciations too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Now I havent read the posts here, but it really depends on where exactly the accent is from. Met some people in Berlin, one was from Midlands, and know others from around there too, and that accent is lovely, don't mind it one bit. Go a bit North-West into Liverpool, and then I wish I was deaf. Newcastle one is funny too, just look at Mike from Alan Partridge:D

But its the same in many places, I find some Oz accents annoying. Am generally ok with all the Irish ones too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I find the South African /Australian accent ,specialy from a male very irritating to the ears . As for Irish / English accents , an irritating Dublin accent can just be the same as an irritating Cockney / Scouse ..... harsh Belfast / Brummy accent . I have found in my travels around Ireland / UK that in most citys you will find people who pronounce their words and speak better English than others .Some obiously also are more pleasing on the ears than others .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i think the large amount of no votes is down to this forum being packed with west brits :)

towel401 wrote: »
    i think the large amount of no votes is down to this forum being packed with west brits :)
    Or people giving their honest opinions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

latchyco wrote: »
    Or people giving their honest opinions ?

west brits giving their honest opinions. if you posted this in the cork forum you'd get a load more yes votes and Lisbon II won't go through either

House wrote: »
    Eh, no, I think most english people would find that remark offensive! :D

The Americans are better at their "R"s, but alternate 50/50 on the nasaly aaaaaaas and the more british aws.

Ever hear a yank say Afghanistan on Fox news? No two anchors say it the same.

aaafghawnistaaaaan, afghanistawn, awfghawnistaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Maybe even worse, actually.

The sad thing is, the Irish and the South Africans are the best at speaking the Queen's English correctly, enunciating all the letters better than the yanks or the brits. :) IMO, we're definitely more consistent in our pronunciations too

I reckon that your English friends are all called John and work in Indian call-centres. I would further surmise that none of them has ever left Delhi. :D

towel401 wrote: »
    west brits giving their honest opinions. if you posted this in the cork forum you'd get a load more yes votes and Lisbon II won't go through either
    The Term ' west Brit ' is something that was made up back in the 60s / 70s .There are no real west Brit people .Just Irish people who live closer to the UK than others .

latchyco wrote: »
    The Term ' west Brit ' is something that was made up back in the 60s / 70s .There are no real west Brit people .Just Irish people who live closer to the UK than others .

You mean the "East Irish"?

• It's fun asking some of my english friends to say the letter R, all I get is "Aw"s.

I find the Irish pronounciation of the letter R extremely irritating. Been here 13 years and refuse to pronounce it like 'Or'.

I know a lot of Irish people think the Irish accent is the 'purest'/best, but there are as many bogger/skanger accents as there are chavvy accents in England. I hear a lot of people mocking the cockney accent - how is that any worse than a Dublin skanger accent? There are well spoken people everywhere and there are people who speak badly everywhere.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You mean the "East Irish"?
    Yeah because if it were the '' west Irish '' we would be saying west Americans I suppose :p

Advertisement