Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car auction prices not so cheap

• 25-01-2009 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭

I was at the merlin auction in kildare yesterday and it seems there is alot of bull**** going around about car prices at the minute. Nothing tasty was sold any cheaper than would be expected.
    08 520d sold at almost 33,000. Add 5% buyers premium and vat on the 5% and its near 35,000.
    Alot of the reposessed stuff didnt make reserve so maybe some of it will be back in next week with lower reserve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I was up there myself for a look yesterday and didn't see any stand out bargains at all. The only cars that seemed to be good value were 05/06 Peugeout 407's which seemed to make around the €6000 mark.

The first car was a battered looking 2001 Seat Alhambra with 126K on the clock which went for a surprisingly high €2300.

It was my first taste of a car auction though and it was good to see how it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Celtxx wrote: »
    I was up there myself for a look yesterday and didn't see any stand out bargains at all. The only cars that seemed to be good value were 05/06 Peugeout 407's which seemed to make around the €6000 mark.

The first car was a battered looking 2001 Seat Alhambra with 126K on the clock which went for a surprisingly high €2300.

It was my first taste of a car auction though and it was good to see how it worked.

I used to go regularily a couple of years ago. I thought some of the reposessed stuff might have slightly lower reserve but most of it went unsold.
    Reposessed 2007 audi TT 3.2 with lots of marks and scrapes didnt make reserve although bids went to 33k or so iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 irishiceman

interesting....im not so pushed about goin now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Celtxx wrote: »

Were they petrol or diesel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Before christmas I saw a 06 Golf sportline 5dr sell for 9,300 and a 07 Avensis D4D sell for 14k - that's good value!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I had a 07 Avensis D4d before christmas, and couldnt give it away! Sold it for 10k in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

bought a 00 hyundai coupe for E1809 charges included. 112m
    seen them on the net guide price anywhere from 2900 to 5000 with same milage same yr. its still going no probs. gave it a service.
    maybe i was in a diff yr and price range to what the dissucion is about but missus is happy as it was for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

BnA wrote: »
    Were they petrol or diesel ?

Mostly diesels from what I could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

steve06 wrote: »
    07 Avensis D4D sell for 14k - that's good value!

Not really. They retail for less than that now and this is an auction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

New car sales are down everywhere but used car sales are okay. No new cars = no trade-ins so used cars are getting scarce (except in large main dealers that are refusing to adjust their prices). High demand among smaller dealers for good stock so prices at auction are going up as used car sources dry up. End result - nothing of value in Merlin at the moment, and huge crowds of (trade) buyers.

Just back from England and same story over there. Wholesale prices of cars UP 500 to 1000 pounds. Since dealers can't replace stock they have, prices will firm up - no point in selling a car for very small margin if you can't replace it - better off to hold out for a decent price.

The used car segment is not on it's knees to anything like the extent this and other forums would lead you to believe. I'm not suprised that the dealers are not taking insultingly low offers seriously. Yes new car sales are in the toilet but that's a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

mickdw wrote: »
    Not really. They retail for less than that now and this is an auction.
    There's only one on carzone at that price... 13,950 actually and it's nearly Feb. I saw the other car selling for 14 in late Nov, it was a good deal then!

Advertisement