Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Mounted Camera's

Options
  • 25-01-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody has any idea's for Gun Mounted camera's, i was looking up things like Helmet Cams and things.. but do you guys use the camera's and if so, what type and how do you mount them etc.

Please note i do not wear a helmet, so thats out of the option.. i would like a Gun Mounted camera, for a AEG and maybe a Scope Cam for a Sniper.

All help appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Link to a review of the Oregon Scientific ATC 2000: http://www.popularairsoft.com/reviews/oregon-scientific-atc-2000-helmetgun-cam
    Is that similar to what you had in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Sinister747

Link to a review of the Oregon Scientific ATC 2000: http://www.popularairsoft.com/reviews/oregon-scientific-atc-2000-helmetgun-cam
    Is that similar to what you had in mind?

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, i seen this one on eBay alright and it looked great... The only problem is i was looking for something with a little longer recording time and if possible, better quality.

Thanks for the help.. do you think i would be better using a helmet and a camera.. or a gun mounted camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Hook it up to a little screen, no more blind firing lol, like that isralie device that you put a glock into that allows you to shoot around corners

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help.. do you think i would be better using a helmet and a camera.. or a gun mounted camera?

I would go for a helmet mounted camera as a lot of the time your gun would be facing towards the ground. Plus if it's on your helmet you get the whole first person perspective. Although your best bet might be to try both and see which one you prefer. A video clip with both viewpoints would be very cool. Good on yah if your going ahead.:)

I would go for a helmet mounted camera as a lot of the time your gun would be facing towards the ground. Plus if it's on your helmet you get the whole first person perspective. Although your best bet might be to try both and see which one you prefer. A video clip with both viewpoints would be very cool. Good on yah if your going ahead.:)

Thanks for all the help; i will buy it as soon as possible and see what there like, next visit will be to HRTA..

Looking forward to seeing the footage.Also remote control plane/car stores might have something usable as might cyclist/extreme sports stores.

I'll put it on YouTube whenever i get it all worked out.. again thanks for all the help. Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Just remember if you go for a helmet cam and did decide to wear a helmet, you need to strap up the helmet fairly good as they move around quite considerably, that and for the most part a helmet has a curved surface which may lead to the footage appearing to 'lean' to one side,
    thats just from personal experience.

• Advertisement

Killinator wrote: »
    Just remember if you go for a helmet cam and did decide to wear a helmet, you need to strap up the helmet fairly good as they move around quite considerably, that and for the most part a helmet has a curved surface which may lead to the footage appearing to 'lean' to one side,
    thats just from personal experience.

Thanks for the recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Airsofty

Gotactical in Bray Sells Head Digital cams... pics great, comes with a Mount and Strap etc.. think there about the 180 mark... give em a buzz...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

i would go for the 4kam cameras...they are absolutely awesomeness on a new level in mounted cams...http://www.4kam.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭captaindanwaldo

Bought one of these http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3333633/Trail/searchtext%3ECAM.htm just before Christmas from Argos, they are great and work really well as a gun cam. They record straight onto SD cards and can take up to 2 GB. They are completely wireless and solid as a rock, Shock proof and water resistant. (Shock proof and sturdy to the point where I have seen one fall of a model rocket and hit the ground, and still record….yes the video is on youtube, search ATC3K) They are powered by 2 AA batteries and are dead easy to get going. The camera itself can be rotated clockwise and anti clockwise on its grip/arm thingy so there’s no need to worry about having a lean if you do decide to mount it on your helmet.
    Only real snag is that there is no screen so you can see what you are recording but that doesn’t really matter on a gun/helmet cam now does it…?

From personal experience I would not mount it on your AEG unless you decide to make a movie entitled “Airsoft Feet!” Even though you pop your gun up to shoot you will be sick to death of sifting through a lot of video containing nothing but that leafy foliage that litters the Airsoft field….It does take a small while to decide what way you wish to mount your cam, there are so many bits and pieces with this thing that you can choose to mount it anywhere really, I mounted it on the butt of my gun facing the barrel so that you managed to see the entire AEG and my hands as well as any action that took place. Also another cool idea is to mount the cam towards yourself on the end of your barrel, so you record your reactions as you shoot and as your hit, kinda interesting to watch, better than looking at feet…but maybe that’s just cause I’m insanely good looking :p

Anyhow back to work for me folks and best of luck hope the cam works out well for you…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

There's also the Tony hawk skate helmet cam which although sold as a toy, is alot cheaper than the oregen scientific one and has very similar (if not slightly better) specs last time I checked)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

2818982220a9905760011l.jpg

Here's a pic od one of the lads with the Oregan one. I forget the name of the team he's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Well all these solutions seem cheaper than mine but I'll still say it anyway

It's the archos camera,

Helmet cam

You will also need an archos gen 5 media player, which is roughly around the same price. Expensive I know but you also get an excellent media player, and can have a huge ammount of storage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

kdouglas wrote: »
    There's also the Tony hawk skate helmet cam which although sold as a toy, is alot cheaper than the oregen scientific one and has very similar (if not slightly better) specs last time I checked)

Actually, I just looked and the tony hawk one if much lower resolution and framerate than the oregen scientific one. Could have swore it was just as good last time I looked.

Lads how do you find the audio quality on the helmet cams? Can your hear anything or is it mainly static?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

I have the Tony Hawk helmet cam,
    Its good for the price,
    But if your loking at the ground and then look at a position where the sky is visible(horizion) it dosnt transition fast through different light exposures, so if your looking a a scene where youve got the ground and the sky with them meeting(horizon) halfway(horizon centred) often you would find that the picture below the horizon is pretty much black and the picture above it is very bright,
    It has a reaonably good quality picture and good sound quality, but the exposure changes can be a b***h!
    The twisting point to rotate the camera can be a bit wobbly but I usually use a bit of tape to keep it steady, the base itself has a sticky pad on it to keep it where you put it,
    One really, really irritating thing though is the clicking noise that comes through on the recorded footage, its nothing to do with the camera moving around or branches hiiting it as you go past,
    its this constant ticking/clicking sound, best described as sounding like a small hardrive thats very active(if that makes sense)
    LIke I said a good camera for the price but dont expect to have oscar worthy footage:D

Oh yeah and it records onto an SD card, you'll need to buy a higher capacity one then that supplied, you also get editing software but it dosnt run on my pc so its anyones guess what its like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

im getting mine off this site http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/ they have many options and have seen some of them firsts hand and the quality of some of them is fanastic

Killinator wrote: »
    I have the Tony Hawk helmet cam,
    Its good for the price,
    But if your loking at the ground and then look at a position where the sky is visible(horizion) it dosnt transition fast through different light exposures, so if your looking a a scene where youve got the ground and the sky with them meeting(horizon) halfway(horizon centred) often you would find that the picture below the horizon is pretty much black and the picture above it is very bright,
    It has a reaonably good quality picture and good sound quality, but the exposure changes can be a b***h!
    The twisting point to rotate the camera can be a bit wobbly but I usually use a bit of tape to keep it steady, the base itself has a sticky pad on it to keep it where you put it,
    One really, really irritating thing though is the clicking noise that comes through on the recorded footage, its nothing to do with the camera moving around or branches hiiting it as you go past,
    its this constant ticking/clicking sound, best described as sounding like a small hardrive thats very active(if that makes sense)
    LIke I said a good camera for the price but dont expect to have oscar worthy footage:D

Oh yeah and it records onto an SD card, you'll need to buy a higher capacity one then that supplied, you also get editing software but it dosnt run on my pc so its anyones guess what its like.

Thanks Killinator thats pretty much everything I wanted to know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

Rew wrote: »
    2818982220a9905760011l.jpg

Here's a pic od one of the lads with the Oregan one. I forget the name of the team he's on.

ATF

Advertisement