Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Idea

• 25-01-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi

Just looking for a bit of direction with an idea i have. It only came to me late last night so i guess i have not really fleshed it out yet, but getting advice here might help.

Because this is the first time i have actively developed a viable idea, i may seem a bit cagey!

But basically i would like to know if anybody ever developed an existing generic physical product further by adding some useful software to it?

Sorry if this is a bit vague, but looking for direction on whom i could potentially approach to talk about this further especially if someone has gone down this road.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

But basically i would like to know if anybody ever developed an existing generic physical product further by adding some useful software to it?

Ford, Suzuki, Dell, Stanley, Nokia, ..........................

You'ld need to elaborate (for me anyhow:cool:). By using the word "idea" in title, are you speaking of developing proprietary ownership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭patftrears

a better question is name any physical product that hasn't been developed by adding software to it.

i.e. a knife is probably one of the oldest tools know to man, nowadays you have precision cutting machines etc...

tables, chairs they can all come with some fancy addon that run software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Telex to fax comes to mind.
    Watching a vid by seth godin well worth watching about the guy who invented sliced bread. He didnt make any money but Wonder waited 14 years for the patent and marketed the idea properly and made a bundle. good lesson imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Makethemost

All valid points. i think that once i found out that the product already existed (although i never heard of anyone using it) it has put me off.

How could i check if the idea has been patented or not?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,320 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

just reading this post and i'd say you've stumbled on a whole host of ideas...

I was tying to think of a physical product without software, first started looking at a carton of oj then started staring at my mighty mouse..., then suddenly pow!!

wouldn't it be a great idea if you could store all your music files and vids in your mouse and be able to carry it around from pc to pc...I can think of about 10 spin off products straight away.....will you cut me in for 25%?:)

p.s
    suggestion for a legally binding Patent Post for boards.ie

Edit:

make that 51%, its a bona fide invention..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

If its a technical IT idea run it by me. With my experience in Banking, my masters in Strategy plus a degree in IT, I should be well positioned to point you in the right direction.

Advertisement