Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabit network...CAT 5e or CAT 6, complications?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I know there are many articles scattered around the web on this but they all seem to be contradicting each other..

Anyway, On a new build I plan on having a network that will be used to stream all tv and movies (possibly hd in the future) from a central server to tvs around the house via upnp.

I am pretty sure that I will want a gigabit connection for this.

I have read that Cat 5e is more than capable of gigabit speeds but im not sure. If I want that kind of speed do I need Cat 6 cabling?

Second of all I plan on doing a lot of the wiring myself. I am pretty knowledgable in computers/tech but have never even terminated a cat 5 cable before. I'm sure I would be well able to learn though.

Would I be right in saying that for cat 5 it is pretty straight forward.. lay cable, terminate plug in and go. But for Cat 6 everything is a lot stricter?

Should I just get a contractor for this? What kind of money are you talking about for a medium sized detached house? Say 20 connections around the house?

Thanks.

Has anybody here built a home network for entertainment, automation etc..Basically a DIY smarthome with full functionality at a fraction of the cost of a contractor?

I'd love to here from you guys...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Good luck with your project!

I have 4 televisions all connected to a central server which contains a couple of TB's of storage.

It's in need of upgrade because it doesn't support HD television/movies. However it suits our current needs and is very cheap to implement.

Downstairs...

A DSL router with wifi type G at the hall door. This is connected with a CAT 5 cable under the carpet to the server. Two xboxes are connected directly to the server with CAT 5.

Upstairs....

An ethernet wifi router which I installed dd-wrt on. This created a wireless bridge with teh router downstairs. Two modded xboxes running XBMC connect to the router with CAT5 cable.

So all in all my solutions was quite cheap (xbox x 4, ethernet router, 50 meter CAT5 which comes to about EUR300 for 4 televions and each can view different media at the same time)

I can see your thinking long term with CAT5/6 cabling idea but do you need it? A high resolution tv show is about 1.5G for 45 mins. This works out at about 6mb a second transfer speed. Wifi type G is 54mb and you could safely run 3 tv's off it. To be future proof you could get wifi type N. It would work out cheaper and you wouldn't have any cabling to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Wow, you have a dandy setup there for €300.. When you say it doesn't support high definition what do you mean? XMBC and server software being the problem? What are you using to server the media from the server?

I will definitely be laying an ethernet network as i'm not too comfortable with wifi for permanent connections.. I'm just not sure if Cat 6 is worth the hassle expense..

What spec is your server?

Does anybody have ballpark figures for a contractor to wire a 2 story house with 24 ethernet sockets scattered around the house? Much of a difference between CAT 5e and CAT 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

There is now way any wireless network will stream HD content to the extent the poster above is claiming, if you want proof come on over to the wireless forum and you'll see.

OP best to get the house wired for the network points you want and then add a few more for expansion,CAT5e will do gigabit fine, the wiring is the same just that all the wires are used in gigabit.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi techguy,

I am one of those talked about contractors!! Just a few points on your original post. Technically cat5e laid right can reach Gigabit speeds. The problem is when you push the cable to the limit you are pushing it. If you lay the cable incorrectly, pull it too hard, over bend it or lay it near power you loose that gigabit speed. Cat5e has more headroom than cat6, this means there is a larger margin of error. So if you over bend a cat5e, yes it will probably still pass certification, this means it will do 100MB and should do 1000MB. If you do this with cat6 you are in trouble. Cat6 is like a high maintenance girlfriend, you do anything even slighty out of the way and it could be disaster.

Now I should mention when I talk about networking Im talking about fully Certified networks. This means if I put a cable in for you I can bet you 100,00 that it will pass gigabit from one end to another once my cabling isnt messed with. How do I do this? I certify the install with a cable certifier. This unit costs around 6-10 grand and tests the cable for the many problems it can suffer from when installing.

Now with regard to your build. I say to people the following. If your building with a view to sell or rent in the next five years then cat5 is probably fine. If you intend to stay there for a long time then install Cat6, but get a pro to do it. Cat5e is the DIYers heaven, and technically if you knew no better about cat6 it looks and feels almost the same, the difference is the performance. If you want streaming, cat5e will struggle, cat6 will do it with out even thinking about it, if you want HD no bother, you wanna run IP cameras on the outside no bother. Cat6 is a cure all but you do pay a little more. Now that copper is getting cheaper its come down a lot in price but you will still pay a slight premium for modules and cable.

Also can I make this point. Do NOT use cheap modules and equipment. everyone goes with whatever their magic electrician says, all he does is go down to kellihers and asks for cat5 e points, he doesnt care about quality or performance. The differene between a cheap point and best in the world is maybe 3 euro per termiation. Spend now, save later an all that.

It is also important you if nothing else get a contractor in to look at your build. Houses can be a pain in the sense that all the wiring is usually bundled together and you cant avoid that. Again Cat6 is a little more tolerant to noise from power but there is only so much it will take.

As I say all my views are coming from commercial installations, but a certain amount does relate to domestic.

Putting a price on this is very hard obviously without seeing it but most of us charge around 50 euro an hour but obviously with a contract you would have a contract price. All depends on house.

Also one last point, remember if you do manage to get a contractor to do it, you are entitled to it being certified and having that paperwork after, if they refuse to certify walk away as you may as well do it yourself. The certification is your warranty and proff that the cable will do what it said on the tin, or box in this case!!

I have some interesting documents on Cat5 and cat 6 if you want them pm me your email or details and I can phone you and advise you as you go.

Best of luck

Advertisement