Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

• 25-01-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else think Robbie is finished, he has been an absolute disgrace for liverpool, i think he has let himself down and has been found out, he's like a headless Milan Baros, running everywhere and going nowhere, he wouldnt look out of place playing for Finn Harps at the moment, Why on earth would man city table a bid for £20 million for this donkey, Without someone like berbatov who continously set him up he is nothing, Kevin Doyle is our only hope of making the finals now, goodbye robbie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And two weeks ago everyone was asking why he didn't get his game against Stoke as he had played so well in recent games. Or was that one week ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Like Heskey, Kuyt, and Crouch before him, Keane has learnt the hard lesson that Liverpool have a habit of treating their strikers very 'oddly'. I could put it in different terms, but I don't want to be accused of trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

have city put a bid in for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

I think he's great, I'd blame rafas awful rotation policy where he draws his team from a hat, he needs to know he's going to start and to be allowed have poor games en route to settling in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Samurai wrote: »
    I think he's great, I'd blame rafas awful rotation policy where he draws his team from a hat, he needs to know he's going to start and to be allowed have poor games en route to settling in

He's only had 2 or 3 good games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Liverpool do seem to have a strange way of dealing with strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Playing a different type of football that doesn't suit him with different players, that's his main problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Robbie Keane is good enough to play (maybe not start) for almost any top team in the world, he has all the attributes of a top support stiker.

However, Rafa is insane, he tends to play support strikers in one man attacks or on the wing rather than off a striker or in a two man attack like they should be played. look at Kyut, rafa plays him right wing FFS, and Babal who he plays on the left, and cisse befoe them who was played on the wings, the list goes on and on, the man is a joke if you as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Seaneh wrote: »
    Robbie Keane is good enough to play (maybe not start) for almost any top team in the world, he has all the attributes of a top support stiker.

However, Rafa is insane, he tends to play support strikers in one man attacks or on the wing rather than off a striker or in a two man attack like they should be played. look at Kyut, rafa plays him right wing FFS, and Babal who he plays on the left, and cisse befoe them who was played on the wings, the list goes on and on, the man is a joke if you as me.

Yeah, that's why he has *won La Liga's and European trophies.

Rubbish manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Yeah, that's why he has one La Liga's and European trophies.

Rubbish manager.

Thought he had more than one?

• Advertisement

Rubbish manager.

No, parking a bus infront of the goal is why he won la ligas and a CL TBVFH.

Liverpool side of 2005 = worst team to ever win a european cup, they played worse football than the greek side of 2004 euro championships.

Rubbish manager.
    The European trophy was won by the players, not by Raffa. It was Raffa's tactics that had them 3-0 down in the first half. The players themselves threw the tactics out the window in the second half producing a memorable occassion for LFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why pay 20million for a player that plays in a position that you don't play?

SantryRed wrote: »
    believing the hype perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Stacksey wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else think Robbie is finished, he has been an absolute disgrace for liverpool, i think he has let himself down and has been found out, he's like a headless Milan Baros, running everywhere and going nowhere, he wouldnt look out of place playing for Finn Harps at the moment, Why on earth would man city table a bid for £20 million for this donkey, Without someone like berbatov who continously set him up he is nothing, Kevin Doyle is our only hope of making the finals now, goodbye robbie

Bit OTT IMO.

He was just beginning to do well when Torres came back and the team got switched around again.

He hasn't settled in at Liverpool but this doesn't mean he's finished or Kevin Doyle is the only hope for the national team.

Anyway, is your final contention that if someone isn't good enough for Liverpool, they're not going to be of any use to Ireland? Have you seen us play in the last few years? :D:D

I think he would do well at Liverpool if Rafa chose a line of Masch/Gerrard/Keane/Torres and let them get used to playing that way but in with an actual chance of winning a league, Rafa can't really give people time to bed in.

In fairness, Keane has had to contend with very little game time with Torres, Gerrard playing in the position he was bought for, most of his games being as a lone striker and he's also working with what might become the worst set of wingers/side midfielders to win an English championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Samurai wrote: »
    The manager who rotates most in the top flight is not Rafa Benitez, that is a media myth which is bought into by so many ill-informed people.
    SantryRed wrote: »

because he was bought in to play in his best role, as a support striker. The striker he was bought to support has been injured for the majority of this season.

Liverpool side of 2005 = worst team to ever win a european cup, they played worse football than the greek side of 2004 euro championships.

He's still won them and that's all that matters.

Also surely the fact that it was the 'worst team to ever win a european cup' makes it an even better achievement for the manager, no?

very bad move for Keane i think. He'll have no respect from either fans i think if he was to choose this option, if indeed it's an option he has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Des wrote: »
    The manager who rotates most in the top flight is not Rafa Benitez, that is a media myth which is bought into by so many ill-informed people.

Statistically he may not rotate as much as others and there are undropables such as gerrard are carragher but you can't deny his selection policy isn't erratic, when the other big clubs are injury free its pretty easy to predict the starting line up, not liverpool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Robbie Keane finished? This is ridiculous. He just started to come good and then benitez suddenly drops him again for two games in a row. Confidence is a major factor in any striker and continuously getting dropped/and subed most be both demoralising and really really ****ing annoying when you see that clown dirk kuyt running round up top not doing anything.

Benitez really does treat some players very oddly. Look at berbatov....he didnt exactly set the world alight for Man united at first. Ferguson continued to play him week in week out and its only now hes beginning to seem to create a good partnership with Rooney.

I feel sorry for Robbie. Hes not the type of footballer to do a pennant on it. He loves playing.

Benitez is doing himself NO favours regards having control over transfers when he shells out 18 million for a player and ****n has David Ngog on the BENCH ahead of him.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Shocked is all I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

Shocked is all I can say.

at what? the thread or the link to everton??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    at what? the thread or the link to everton??

Was wondering that myself!

I wouldnt take to much heed of goal.com though. They are the tabloid of the internet. They report everything 90% is pure paper talk/rumours that they make look like its a real possibility sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Oh dear...how embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

joe123 wrote: »
    Robbie Keane finished? This is ridiculous.
    Well said.

Highsider wrote: »
    Oh dear...how embarrassing

how so, because i told the truth?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lads some people on this site need to take the green tinted specks off,Keane has been diabolical for Liverpool.He will need a major turn around in forum between now and the end of the season if he is to stay a Liverpool player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Can't see him starting against chelsea either - doesn't look good for Robbie I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Stacksey wrote:
    Why on earth would man city table a bid for £20 million for this donkey, Without someone like berbatov who continously set him up he is nothing

If you look at Keane's goalscoring record, his best season in the league was the year before Berbatov joined and I'd also wager Keane has set up more goals for Berbatov over the years than vice-versa. Keane is a top player who will score goals if given a good run.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Lads some people on this site need to take the green tinted specks off,Keane has been diabolical for Liverpool.He will need a major turn around in forum between now and the end of the season if he is to stay a Liverpool player.

In fairness to him when he did hit a bit of form - 3 goals in 2 games - he was dropped right back to the bench for the next game and didn't even feature. It seems to me like Benitez has little or no faith in him and that's the kiss of death sadly.

I feel bad for him because he's been one of the league's great forwards for several seasons but I think for the good of his career it's perhaps time to move on. If not now then the summer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

In fairness to him when he did hit a bit of form - 3 goals in 2 games - he was dropped right back to the bench for the next game and didn't even feature. It seems to me like Benitez has little or no faith in him and that's the kiss of death sadly.

Thats one way to look at it the other is he was rested in the Newcastle game as it was only 48 hours after the Bolton game,he was put straight back into the starting line up for the Preston game and played very very badly.

He is playing with the big boys now and has to do the business week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I am more worried about our world cup qualifier in two weeks time. The guy is in dismal form and now nothing even making the bench. If this keeps up he must be stripped of the captaincy as we cannot have our captain not playing regular football or scoring goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

he used to score goals for ireland but not for his clubs. Then he started scoring for his clubs and not for ireland. Maybe he'll start scoring lots of goals for ireland again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

syngindub wrote: »
    have city put a bid in for him?

Fuck no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fuck no.

Is that a relieved tone I hear? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

why oh why didnt we take that £20m for robbie and that £8m for dossena and make a substatial bid for ribery? a player that would really turn liverpool into a very dangerous side. hes exactly what we need.

but robbie keane knows ALL about lucozade....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i honestly believe Benitez signed him to play off torres, this couldnt happen as torres was injured, why else would the man spend 20 million on the lad? you dont spend that money to bench him without giving him a proper run in the team

i would worry on the irish front only because Keanes confidence must now be shot to ****

Keane has been scoring 20 a season consistently for a number of years now and its not too long ago that Liverpool fans were argueing the point that they would rather have him then Berba at the club and that he would be the foil for Torres and all that

Maybe he will, but for **** sake give him time, Torres is returning to fitness now but its the wrong time of the season to try forge a new strike partnership, heading to the knock outs of the champions league and still in the hunt for the premiership title, you simply cannot make mistakes at this team and since Benitez has always been the cautious type of manager did anyone expect him to risk playing Keane and Torres together yet in case it backfires, i feel it would work personally, but Benitez is a cautious guy

He will persist with what he perceives as the type of team that has put Liverpool in the technically good position they are so far, dont rock the boat and all that

Give the guy time

Next season if he gets his chance to play in his position then you can fairly judge him

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

joe123 wrote: »
    Robbie Keane finished? This is ridiculous. He just started to come good and then benitez suddenly drops him again for two games in a row. Confidence is a major factor in any striker and continuously getting dropped/and subed most be both demoralising and really really ****ing annoying when you see that clown dirk kuyt running round up top not doing anything.

Benitez really does treat some players very oddly. Look at berbatov....he didnt exactly set the world alight for Man united at first. Ferguson continued to play him week in week out and its only now hes beginning to seem to create a good partnership with Rooney.

I feel sorry for Robbie. Hes not the type of footballer to do a pennant on it. He loves playing.

Benitez is doing himself NO favours regards having control over transfers when he shells out 18 million for a player and ****n has David Ngog on the BENCH ahead of him.:mad:

I was wondering when a thread about Robbie was going to start up.

Anyway I have to say I agree with most of this.

Kuyt is a donkey if you ask me, and I could see Robbie being more productive on the righ wing. Don't get me wrong I know he is not a winger but neither is Dirk Shuyt IMO.

You are right in what you say about Ferguson...if only Rafa had adopted this approach and maybe this thread would have a totally different spin on it!

He is struggling for confidence big time at the moment, resulting in some poor recent performances, and I don't see him getting too many starts between now and the end of the season (if Torres stays fit) and therefore things are more than likely not going to get much better for Robbie any time soon - I can see him leaving in the summer with Pool making a big loss on him (somewhere in the region of £8 million I reckon).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Someone in the January Transfer topic said theres a Rumor that Keane is going on loan to Everton for the rest of the season?

Any truth in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Dub13 wrote: »
    Could'nt agree more. He has been shocking. If a 18 year old came into the first team and played a couple of games like Keane has this season he would'nt get another chance. He needs to step up and show some of the form he showed for Spurs last season if he wants to continue his career with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I heard Rafa made a comment along the lines "if i could select 19 players Keane would be in the squad". Am I being filled with poopy poop?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

he started against everton in more important premier league game(and played utter ****e), so in other words I think everyone should stfu and gtfo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If keane did move to city i think he might play much better football with the likes of Ireland and robinho to play off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

syngindub wrote: »
    The European trophy was won by the players, not by Raffa. It was Raffa's tactics that had them 3-0 down in the first half. The players themselves threw the tactics out the window in the second half producing a memorable occassion for LFC.

Yeah, the players brought Hamann on at half time!!

Go read Carragher's autobiography before you start posting sh!te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,723 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you look at Keane's goalscoring record, his best season in the league was the year before Berbatov joined and I'd also wager Keane has set up more goals for Berbatov over the years than vice-versa. Keane is a top player who will score goals if given a good run.

I'll take that wager.

Give Keane the season before judging him, I think he is suffering from Rafa's unique man management style. He has been largely muck, but we are entering the business end of the season, still plenty time for him to prove himself, if picked of course.

Patience is the key, There were and still are shouts for Berbatov to be dropped, Ferguson gave him the time and looks now to have made the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

liverpool to let him go to everton and offer to pay his wages too! what a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If keane did move to city i think he might play much better football with the likes of Ireland and robinho to play off.
    That's because the only time you'd see him is on MotD's 30-second match roundup highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

the only way Keane will do well at liverpool is if Gerrard played out on the right and he played in gerrards position, otherwise the two boys just run into the same space.

so looks like Keano might be heading back to tottenham.
    Personally hope he takes the offer if it becomes available. For the sake of his career, confidence and Ireland. Be funny to see Defoe getting put back on the bench as well unless Harry plays them both up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Trilla wrote: »
    I heard Rafa made a comment along the lines "if i could select 19 players Keane would be in the squad". Am I being filled with poopy poop?

He was asked why Keane wasn't in the squad and responded with something along of the lines of "because I picked 18 other players"..

• Advertisement
Advertisement