Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

With or without Keane IMO you are relying on Torres and Gerrard staying fit if you want to win the league.

Totally agree. Without these two we're f***ed. Another reason why we should've kept Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

If sports Journalists, fans etc. had to pick what team Rafa would put out in a Champions League final the majority would say this and they would be right.

Torres

Reira Gerrard Kuyt

Masch Alonso

No place for Keane, never was & never will be. He's not content with the bench so I don't think there was any alternative but to sell him
    You're assuming Torres is going to stay fit for the rest of the season. Most people's problem with Rafa selling Keane is the fact that it has left him short up front should an injury occur. Surely you agree that Pool are a bit light up front at the moment?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

My two cents:

Benitez is an absolute MUPPET for letting Keane go/letting his battles with Parry/Hicks/Gillett get in the way of it.

Here's something I've copied off BBC text directly from Bentiez's gob:

"Sometimes good players cannot settle down and when this happens you have to consider the situation and try to react quickly. I have to look at the bigger picture and this means thinking of the club and what is best. We still have Babel, Ngog, Kuyt and Torres. It is a risk but the situation was not good and we needed to do something".

The main argument I have with this is with the very first sentence: How on earth can a guy settle into the team [1) If he's not wanted by the manager, and 2), when he DOES get picked, he hardly plays a full match!!!???

The fact that he rates Babel, Kuyt AND Ngog above Keane is downright baffling!!!! Torres I can understand, but not the others!??

RAFA OUT!! We deserve to lose the league after yet another clanger by Benitez. :mad:
    Benitez has lost the plot, imo.
    After being 7 points AHEAD of them at one stage. He's lost the plot, plain and simple.
    By selling Keane - a player that he - in my humble opinion - should've kept. And, in my opinion, a player who should be in the team ahead of the likes of Kuyt, Benayoun, Babel. Throwing away points against teams we should be beating. And his little "speech" at that press conference has bitten him on the a**e. Fergie's only laughing at him.
    I was just saying that I particularly remember him having a good laugh at Rafa after that episode.
    :rolleyes:
    Jeez. Alright then. The way I saw it, I thought Fergie found his "rant" a tad amusing!?

I'm obviously not allowed to express an opinion on this thread, so I'll exit now.

:mad:

Are you Boggles, Are you Boggles, Are you Boggles in disguise!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Another minus point to Gerrard's game. Give him marking responsibilities in a game and he's lost!

That's the whole point - he has no responsibilities there and it's his best position!! God sake your impossible, the only one way Keane could have stayed & that's if he was prepared to be a bit-part player - and I don't think he was prepared to do this

Rafa has takin a gamble but Im confident it will work out as the Keane circus was beginning to wreck my head every time a team was picked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

With or without Keane IMO you are relying on Torres and Gerrard staying fit if you want to win the league.

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Keane vs Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Trilla wrote: »
    Keane vs Berbatov

Berbatov's big so the reach advantage should give him the win. Although Keane is a fiesty little fella. Tough to call...

Oh, I thought we were changing topic again, this time to boxing. My bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Trilla wrote: »
    Keane vs Berbatov

Doesn't matter. They'll both be up front for Spurs next season with Ardiles just behind!!

Pighead wrote: »
    You're assuming Torres is going to stay fit for the rest of the season. Most people's problem with Rafa selling Keane is the fact that it has left him short up front should an injury occur. Surely you agree that Pool are a bit light up front at the moment?

But that's the risk - Holdin on to Keane and the fiasco goin on for the season meaning performance could be effected OR sell him now with the thinking Torres injuries are behind him and get a run goin with Gerrard like they did this time last season. Im for takin the risk thinkin we'll be o.k But we'll have to wait and see...We don't know who's going to get injured if anyone does

5starpool wrote: »
    Are you Boggles, Are you Boggles, Are you Boggles in disguise!!!!!

No, I'm not, No, I'm not, No I'm not Boggles in disguise.

• Advertisement

But that's the risk - Holdin on to Keane and the fiasco goin on for the season meaning performance could be effected OR sell him now with the thinking Torres injuries are behind him and get a run goin with Gerrard like they did this time last season. Im for takin the risk thinkin we'll be o.k But we'll have to wait and see...We don't know who's going to get injured if anyone does

Its a huge risk to take, and we haven't got enough(decent)options up front to cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In Fairness Rafa created the fiasco, what exactly did Keane do?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Boggles wrote: »

Not much, I think that is the main issue really.

Its a huge risk to take, and we haven't got enough(decent)options up front to cope.

Only time will tell, as I say we don't know what's going to happen injury wise. But Keane was a massive negative for us for us the way things were. I think we can cope but if it blow's up in Rafa's face that's the time to call for his head. Not like in your original post where you said for him to be sacked, based on the presumtion that one of our forward players get's injured and costs us the league. We're in a position where we're second favourite's for the league. Torres was injured for most of the first half of the season & Keane has fitted in and made an impression. We'll give it a serious stab from now til end of season & get someone in then

Nothing. He was signed over Rafa's head by Parry, and he(Rafa)chucked his toys outta the pram AGAIN.

5starpool wrote: »
    Not much, I think that is the main issue really.

He can't do much when he's not picked.

Alot of people seem to forget that Keane was appauling most of the time he was playing. Im not even going bringing that into the argument.

As far as Im concerned the best thing was done

28 games. Started the vast majority. He was picked quite regularly actually.

Mr Alan wrote: »

+1

He's done ok since November:

Robbie Keane-5 goals in 527 mins
    Fernando Torres- 2 Goals in 418 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If you add up the total amount of minutes hes played - it works out that he played 14 full league matches, scoring 5 league goals. He was not nearly as bad as people are making out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Speaking for the first time about the deal, Keane told the club website: 'Coming back to Spurs was an easy decision to make because this is my home.

'Firstly, in respect of the club - but also my house is in the area and everything is set up for me to walk right back into.

'It's funny how football works sometimes and situations turn around very quickly, but I can assure fans I will be giving my all to make sure this club stays in the Premier League.'

FFS. He returned because its his home ! Keano go talk the doctor.

Tusky wrote: »
    If you add up the total amount of minutes hes played - it works out that he played 14 full league matches, scoring 5 league goals. He was not nearly as bad as people are making out.

Therein is/was his problem. He was getting bits of games here and there. He definetly should've been in the squad ahead of the likes of Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

redout wrote: »
    Speaking for the first time about the deal, Keane told the club website: 'Coming back to Spurs was an easy decision to make because this is my home.

'Firstly, in respect of the club - but also my house is in the area and everything is set up for me to walk right back into.

'It's funny how football works sometimes and situations turn around very quickly, but I can assure fans I will be giving my all to make sure this club stays in the Premier League.'

Err, it is his home. Hes been living there for years. He was probably only renting somewhere in Liverpool and had only been there for a few months.

What do you expect him to say ? Spurs are crap and its **** to be back ?

redout wrote: »

LOL. Loyalty means **** all in football. Didn't you know that!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

He actually looked worried and concerned about Rafas mental health.

i want ur eyes!

If liverpool win the PL Keane gets a medal having played 10 PL games.

winning a PL medal and being relegated in the same season:eek:

Tusky wrote: »
    Err, it is his home. Hes been living there for years. He was probably only renting somewhere in Liverpool and had only been there for a few months.

What do you expect him to say ? Spurs are crap and its **** to be back ?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If liverpool win the PL Keane gets a medal having played 10 PL games.

winning a PL medal and being relegated in the same season:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Categorically, Spurs will not go down.

Kuyt plays as a RWF the majority of the time Mickey, why are you ignoring that fact? The only time i can think of when Kuyt played ahead of Keane up front was against Newcastle when Keane was rested along with other big names as he'd played a match 48 hrs earlier.

Tusky, you can keep wheeling out the mins/goals thing all you want, but the reason he played so few minutes per match in the main was cause he was pants, why on gods green earth would Rafa leave him on? Also his general play was not good enough, as i have pointed out to you numerous times, Voronin had an equally impressive goals/assists ratio when you broke it down, but it was apparent he wasnt quite able to cut the mustard at Liverpool. Same as Keane (who may have been able to cut it as a squad player)

Kuyt plays as a RWFthe majority of the time Mickey, why are you ignoring that fact? The only time i can think of when Kuyt played ahead of Keane up front was against Newcastle when Keane was rested along with other big names as he'd played a match 48 hrs earlier.

Tusky, you can keep wheeling out the mins/goals thing all you want, but the reason he played so few minutes per match in the main was cause he was pants, why on gods green earth would Rafa leave him on? Also his general play was not good enough, as i have pointed out to you numerous times, Voronin had an equally impressive goals/assists ratio when you broke it down, but it was apparent he wasnt quite able to cut the mustard at Liverpool. Same as Keane (who may have been able to cut it as a squad player)

Right wing forward?? Are we talking American Football/Rugby now? He's either a forward or he's not!?

afraid not Mickey. in the 4-2-3-1 we play. there is a right & left wing forward.

you are aware of the formation we play, correct?

afraid not Mickey. in the 4-2-3-1 we play. there is a right & left wing forward.

you are aware of the formation we play, correct?

Yes I am.

Des wrote: »

They shouldnt in all fairness but you never know.If they can beat Arsenal at weekend they will be on a massive high. Should they lose though they might find themselves in trouble again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Des wrote: »

Karma says they should go down. Spurs' shenanigans involving players, managers and money over the past while are reason enough for them to go down.

Yes I am.

good lad.

good lad.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Mr. Alan, its amusing to see how you've changed your tune on Keane now that he has been sold :D You defended him to the last while he was a Liverpoor player, and now that people are pulling you up on it, you're going back on your previous statements.
    Shows you up for what many many people on here suspect you for :D:cool:

crap! i find myself agreeing with alan. :pac:

yes, when keane played he was sh1te. we used to play a version of "Wheres Wally?" involving keane. he was never good enough for liverpool, i knew that months ago.

the biggest issue out of all this was wtf was going on with liverpool management. we have lost 5 - 8 million quid on this, rafa's authority has been comprimised, the board seem to not have much faith in who rafa buys and there is definately something rotten in the state of denmark.
    liverpool fc are a bit of a laughing stock over this keane saga and if i was to take a guess, one of G&H, parry or rafa will be gone by the end of june. and guess who the lowest rung on that particular ladder is ?

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    crap! i find myself agreeing with alan. :pac:

yes, when keane played he was sh1te. we used to play a version of "Wheres Wally?" involving keane. he was never good enough for liverpool, i knew that months ago.

the biggest issue out of all this was wtf was going on with liverpool management. we have lost 5 - 8 million quid on this, rafa's authority has been comprimised, the board seem to not have much faith in who rafa buys and there is definately something rotten in the state of denmark.
    liverpool fc are a bit of a laughing stock over this keane saga and if i was to take a guess, one of G&H, parry or rafa will be gone by the end of june. and guess who the lowest rung on that particular ladder is ?

Come on!!?? He should've been given more than 6 months. Maybe Rafa going wouldn't be such a bad thing?? Only time will tell.......

Tusky, you can keep wheeling out the mins/goals thing all you want, but the reason he played so few minutes per match in the main was cause he was pants, why on gods green earth would Rafa leave him on? Also his general play was not good enough,
    He was pants? Al it was already pointed out to you yesterday that you held the exact opposite opinion to this yesterday! Unfortunately for you there is a search function which enables losers like me to find out if your current opinions are actually your real opinions or if they just change to fall in line with what Rafa is saying at any given time.

3rd December: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58125768&postcount=55
    back onto Keane, worth noting that up until Torres got injured again, most Liverpool fans were very happy with him after great performances against Everton & Utd in his first few games.

I think he'll be alright. He'll score around 15 this year in total. Which is all that can really be expected of him.

Since the 3rd of December Keane has scored three goals in just three games started so if anything your opinion of him should have improved! Instead you've gone from thinking he'll be alright to calling him pants! The mind boggles (no offence boggles)

He was pants? Al it was already pointed out to you yesterday that you held the exact opposite opinion to this yesterday! Unfortunately for you there is a search function which enables losers like me to find out if your current opinions are actually your real opinions or if they just change to fall in line with what Rafa is saying at any given time.

3rd December: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58125768&postcount=55

Since the 3rd of December Keane has scored three goals in just three games started so if anything your opinion of him should have improved! Instead you've gone from thinking he'll be alright to calling him pants! The mind boggles (no offence boggles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

we have lost 5 - 8 million quid on this,

This is a quote from Rafa:
    "I am hearing figures, and they are not true. Depending on the progress of Spurs it (the loss to us on the original deal) could be about £3m.

The deal was not for 12 million.

It seems that the 12 million figure is possibly what Spurs were offering before Defoe got injured. At this stagem they would have had the bargaining power. Once it became common knowledge that Defoe was crocked for 6 to 8 weeks, the bargaining power shifted to Liverpool. Spurs then came back with a signiificantly improved cash only offer with add ons. It is also being reported that Spurs were trying to sweeten the deal by offering Jenas, Bale and/or Beltley but not Lennon - who Rafa actually wanted.

Incidenlty, I do not believe that Keane would have been sold only for Spurs hand being forced due to the injury to Defoe.

Well said PigHead, Mr.Alan is just dancing to the latest tune emerging from Liverpoor. He has no opinion of his own, and changes his mind to suit the circumstances, as you have so clearly pointed out.
    Mr.Alan, you've been found out :D

Come on!!?? He should've been given more than 6 months. Maybe Rafa going wouldn't be such a bad thing?? Only time will tell.......

nah, ive been calling it for a while now. he should never have been bought, he was never worth 20m but i was willing to give him a chance. i thought he could have stepped up but alas no, he was lost most games and would become invisible very quickly. he was at his best on the bench testing the lucozade

nah, ive been calling it for a while now. he should never have been bought, he was never worth 20m but i was willing to give him a chance. i thought he could have stepped up but alas no, he was lost most games and would become invisible very quickly. he was at his best on the bench testing the lucozade

I can back Jazzy up on this, he really has detested the Keane transfer from the start, quite sterling in his detest actually.

Mr. Alan and the rest of the Rafa Rant Cheer Leaders have flip flopped like a freshly caught salmon on the rocks.

LOL. I agree that he wasn't worth 20m. But should've been given more time...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Keane runs around like a headless chicken. Pointing where he wants you to play the ball, and pulling faces when he never gets it. Misses tonnes of chances that an average striker would put away. Tries things that come off 1 out of 1000 times. Claps for passes that he doesn't get on the end of. Gets pushed off the ball easy. Makes himself open to receive the ball and then passes the ball straight back. His general play is very poor and ineffective. So the quick summation of that is, not good enough for Liverpool, he's sh*te.

I'm half expecting Mr.Alan to do a Rafa, show himself up as a clown, and start quoting some "facts" :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement