Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Keane runs around like a headless chicken. Pointing where he wants you to play the ball, and pulling faces when he never gets it. Misses tonnes of chances that an average striker would put away. Tries things that come off 1 out of 1000 times. Claps for passes that he doesn't get on the end of. Gets pushed off the ball easy. Makes himself open to receive the ball and then passes the ball straight back. His general play is very poor and ineffective. So the quick summation of that is, not good enough for Liverpool, he's sh*te.

I disagree.

*Waits for the torrent of abuse*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Boggles wrote: »
    I can back Jazzy up on this, he really has detested the Keane transfer from the start, quite sterling in his detest actually.

Mr. Alan and the rest of the Rafa Rant Cheer Leaders have flip flopped like a freshly caught salmon on the rocks.

indeed, i know my football ^^

wanna talk about Dossena? hes been fabulous so far.
    wonder who signed him? parry, rafa, g&h... roy keanes dog ?

pvt.joker wrote: »
    I'm half expecting Mr.Alan to do a Rafa, show himself up as a clown, and start quoting some "facts" :D

:D

Jazzy wrote: »
    indeed, i know my football ^^

wanna talk about Dossena? hes been fabulous so far.
    wonder who signed him? parry, rafa, g&h... roy keanes dog ?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Don't get me started on him!?

Woof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

With or without Keane IMO you are relying on Torres and Gerrard staying fit if you want to win the league.

agreed.

just like utd rely on ronaldo and rooney
    just like chelsea rely on lampard and anelka/drogba
    just like villa rely on young and gabby
    just like arsenal rely on vp and fabregas

teams rely on their best players...then its the squad players who need to kick in when injuries happen or rests are needed.

keane was a squad player; a plainly unhappy squad player. he had done better than most will recognise, but he couldn't dislodge our first choice gerrard/torres partnership.

whether keane should have been kept for more options, or let leave as he did because it was a good deal and better to have a dressing room with people happy with their role is open for debate. personally i'll trust rafa for now and make judgment at the end of the season.

let's hope the depth we still have that rafa has spoken about can hold up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I thought Keane was a flop at Liverpool, but that doesn't mean he should have been sold, especially for a loss. How many strikers have seemlessly fit into a system within twelve bloody months, not to mind 5. This record is just beoming swings and roundabouts though. Most people have said their bit, and the next 5 months will determine whether it was a good decision or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Appart from Keane wanting to play for the team he followed as a kid the move to Liverpool never really made any sense in the first place. Keane is a very good striker and could be worth up to 20m to the right club who need a player like him but that club wasnt Liverpool. Why wasnt the 20m spent on a player expect to start like a winger? Silva, Arshavin etc were linked previously for that much or less. What Liverpool really could have used is a 15-20m RW and spend the rest to get Heskey (like Villa did), He woulda played second fiddle to Torres or made a good partner for him (but wouldent have been happy with 3rd choice behind Keane) and they were strongley linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭SteM

SlickRic wrote: »

Although United have gone top when Rooney has been injured and Ronaldo has been playing poorly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

SteM wrote: »
    Although United have gone top when Rooney has been injured and Ronaldo has been playing poorly....

Just like Liverpool went top without Torres, and beat Utd without Torres or Gerrard (most of the game). His point still stands, Utd are a different team without two of their best players, that's the case for any team in world football ffs.

• Advertisement

agreed.

just like chelsea rely on lampard and anelka/drogba
    just like villa rely on young and gabby
    just like arsenal rely on vp and fabregas

teams rely on their best players...then its the squad players who need to kick in when injuries happen or rests are needed.

keane was a squad player; a plainly unhappy squad player. he had done better than most will recognise, but he couldn't dislodge our first choice gerrard/torres partnership.

whether keane should have been kept for more options, or let leave as he did because it was a good deal and better to have a dressing room with people happy with their role is open for debate. personally i'll trust rafa for now and make judgment at the end of the season.

let's hope the depth we still have that rafa has spoken about can hold up.

A: Keane is far better than most of our squad players.
    B: I don't think it will?
    and finally...................
    C: Rafa to be sacked/resign at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

SteM wrote: »

True but United are playing poor and the other teams have helped us go top because of their own poor displays which have resulted in dropped points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is this thread still going :confused:

anyway its very hard to keep a 20million player on the bench,
    and Keane had probly a distributive attitude in the dressing room

finally its soccer,some players work out some don't
    its a gamble

Rafa just got it wrong this time ,but liverpool did a great job in only loosing around 5m for keane

is this thread still going :confused:

its very hard to keep a 20million player on the bench,
    and Keane had probly a distributive attitude in the dressing room

finally its soccer,some players work out some don't
    its a gamble

Rafa just got it wrong this time ,but liverpool did a great job in only loosing around 5m for keane

What?:confused:

[/b]

A: Keane is far better than most of our squad players.
    B: I don't think it will?
    and finally...................
    C: Rafa to be sacked/resign at the end of the season.

as has been said here before, Rafa is the only one out of all the boardroom that deserves to survive.

if you can't see that, nobody can help you anymore.

do posters here keep having to say it, to liverpool fans no less?! it's disgraceful. 2 points from top spot isn't what it could have been, but we wouldn't be where we are if it wasn't for him.

keane's sale is questionable, of course, but sacked for it and being 2 points behind utd in feb? give me a break.

as has been said here before, Rafa is the only one out of all the boardroom that deserves to survive.

if you can't see that, nobody can help you anymore.

do posters here keep having to say it, to liverpool fans no less?! it's disgraceful. 2 points from top spot isn't what it could have been, but we wouldn't be where we are if it wasn't for him.

keane's sale is questionable, of course, but sacked for it and being 2 points behind utd in feb? give me a break.

Again, I refer you to the fact that we were actually AHEAD of Man U a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement

Again, I refer you to the fact that we were actually AHEAD of Man U a couple of months ago.

exactly...

because in no small part to whose players and tactics are we getting closer to utd? because we're normally out of it by february remember.

i seriously can't believe you're not getting this. you're doing utd fans' work for them with this sort of nonsense.

edit: this is the last time i'll post a non-Keane related post in this thread, apologies.

exactly...

because in no small part to whose players and tactics are we getting closer to utd? because we're normally out of it by february remember.

i seriously can't believe you're not getting this. you're doing utd fans' work for them with this sort of nonsense.

edit: this is the last time i'll post a non-Keane related post in this thread, apologies.

What nonsense? We are BEHIND Man U(re) now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I really don't get your problem here. We are the closest title challengers to Utd in Feb. We have Real Madrid coming up in the Champions League and the F.A Cup still to play for. Utd started the season slowly and we took advantage, Liverpool hit a dip in form (and isn't it great that these days a dip in form for Liverpool is a few draws and not losing) and Utd took advantage, but after a big win on Sunday while putting a dent in Chelsea's hopes has us hanging on Utd's coat-tails.
    Yes we were ahead, now Utd are. It's a title race and you're very welcome to it. As a Liverpool fan, you're probably not used to one lately, yet here we are and you still want Rafa sacked! Unbelievable!

monkey9 wrote: »
    I really don't get your problem here. We are the closest title challengers to Utd in Feb. We have Real Madrid coming up in the Champions League and the F.A Cup still to play for. Utd started the season slowly and we took advantage, Liverpool hit a dip in form (and isn't it great that these days a dip in form for Liverpool is a few draws and not losing) and Utd took advantage, but after a big win on Sunday while putting a dent in Chelsea's hopes has us hanging on Utd's coat-tails.
    Yes we were ahead, now Utd are. It's a title race and you're very welcome to it. As a Liverpool fan, you're probably not used to one lately, yet here we are and you still want Rafa sacked! Unbelievable!

By Jove, I think he's got it!!?? :p:D

By Jove, I think he's got it!!?? :p:D

So do you think that any team who are overtaken by another team in a league table should have their manager sacked? That once a lead is eroded, it becomes an automatic dismissal??

• Advertisement

So do you think that any team who are overtaken by another team in a league table should have their manager sacked? That once a lead is eroded, it becomes an automatic dismissal??

:rolleyes: No. Give him till the end of this season. Anyway, I think he'll walk.....? I bet he goes to Real Madrid....!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

lets hear what Robbie has to say

that we are.

however the season is 9 months long, not 3. There are dips and highs for every team. competing with the very best over the whole season this year has always been the main aim. winning it would be an extra sweet bonus. we had a chance to be better off than we are, of course we did, but for goodness sake look at the bigger picture. and don't make knee-jerk reactions based on a few games. don't fool yourself into thinking anyone could be doing a better job.

another point, and many other's point to you and others against Rafa, is sacking him or him walking won't achieve anything. we would regress unless a minor miracle happens. would you prefer to be a Spurs or Newcastle with their instability? he is the only one with Liverpool's best interests at heart. He's stubborn at times, but he stands by what he believes in and how he thinks the club should be run. I'll put my faith in him well before G & H, Parry etc thank you.

we've enough instability upstairs with those muppets not knowing what they're doing without getting rid of Rafa, who has bought half the team, and moulded the whole team into one that has got us to the position we are in.

that includes keane. he won us points at stages in the season, absolutely. but his overall ability and what he could offer the club was not what Rafa wanted. keane also wanted to play more (as you'll hear from Rafa's press conference). it suited keane to go, and it suited Rafa. it was a bit soon, yes, but Rafa felt the deal was good and Keane obviously didn't want to stick it out either.

let's wait until the end of the season to see if it suited Liverpool before trying to get rid of the man who has got us to where we are. and even then, even if the title does not end up with us, let's not automatically call for his head. let's assess what he's done in the grand scheme of things in a rational way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

listened to the Raffa interview.
    He mentioned a few alternatives if Torres got injured. I'd say Fergie is ****tin himself.

that we are.

however the season is 9 months long, not 3. There are dips and troughs for every team. competing with the very best over the whole season this year has always been the main aim. winning it would be an extra sweet bonus. we had a chance to be better off than we are, of course we did, but for goodness sake look at the bigger picture. and don't make knee-jerk reactions based on a few games. don't fool yourself into thinking anyone could be doing a better job.

another point, and many other's point to you and others against Rafa, is sacking his won't achieve anything. we would regress unless a minor miracle happens. would you prefer to be a Spurs or Newcastle with their instability? he is the only one with Liverpool's best interests at heart. He's stubborn at times, but he stands by what he believes in and how he thinks the club should be run. I'll put my faith in him well before G & T, Parry etc thank you.

we've enough instability upstairs with those muppets not knowing what they're doing without getting rid of Rafa, who has bought half the team, and moulded the whole team into one that has got us to the position we are in.

that includes keane. he won us points at stages in the season, absolutely. but his overall ability and what he could offer the club was not what Rafa wanted. keane also wanted to play more (as you'll hear from Rafa's press conference). it suited keane to go, and it suited Rafa. it was a bit soon, yes, but Rafa felt the deal was good and Keane obviously didn't want to stick it out either.

let's wait until the end of the season to see if it suited Liverpool before trying to get rid of the man who has got us to where we are. and even then, even if the title does not end up with us, let's not automatically call for his head. let's assess what he's done in the grand scheme of things in a rational way.

Plus, Rafa has a tendancy to this. He has no problem shipping out players after a short spell if he feels it's to the benefit of the team or to the club, even if it may bring abuse on to him and that's something i admire in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

:rolleyes: No. Give him till the end of this season. Anyway, I think he'll walk.....? I bet he goes to Real Madrid....!?

yeah, Madrid, where the board are a paragon of decency, and always back a manager to the hilt, allowing him to carry out his affairs with minimal interruption!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Pighead wrote: »
    He was pants? Al it was already pointed out to you yesterday that you held the exact opposite opinion to this yesterday! Unfortunately for you there is a search function which enables losers like me to find out if your current opinions are actually your real opinions or if they just change to fall in line with what Rafa is saying at any given time.

3rd December: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58125768&postcount=55

Since the 3rd of December Keane has scored three goals in just three games started so if anything your opinion of him should have improved! Instead you've gone from thinking he'll be alright to calling him pants! The mind boggles (no offence boggles)

This is brilliant. You deserve some sort of medal.

Plus, Rafa has a tendancy to this. He has no problem shipping out players after a short spell if he feels it's to the benefit of the team or to the club, even if it may bring abuse on to him and that's something i admire in him.

absolutely.

it's the club first always. he knows the abuse he'll get from this; and he knows people will not like how he handled it. but he genuinely believes that it's best for the club. and as you say he's done it before.

you'd swear he had a vendetta against keane the way people have gone on.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    yeah, Madrid, where the board are a paragon of decency, and always back a manager to the hilt, allowing him to carry out his affairs with minimal interruption!

He'll have far better players at his disposal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jesus ****ing christ, most of you have to be retarded or something. It is the only thing that can explain continued posting.

• Advertisement

Jesus ****ing christ, most of you have to be retarded or something. It is the only thing that can explain continued posting.

I can't help it. I came into the pub to get out of the snow and rain and i have nothing better to do

I can't help it. I came into the pub to get out of the snow and rain and i have nothing better to do

I'm out of work sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

No matter what, Keane is still better than Ngog, Babel or Kuyt should Torres get injured again for a period of time.

FatherTed wrote: »
    No matter what, Keane is still better than Ngog, Babel or Kuyt should Torres get injured again for a period of time.

Hallelujah!!!! If Torres and/or Gerrard get injured, we are ******.

I find the views of so called Liverpool fans on here strange.

Anyone who has actually been to a few games this season and has watched Keane it was clear he was was'nt fitting in.

Rafa obviously prefers 4-4-1-1 formation and keane cant play it like Torres can, he was running around aimlessly at times. I felt for him as he was so enthusiastic but did'nt seem to be getting anywhere!

He will slot back into Spurs 4-4-2 with 2 wingers like a glove i bet and best of luck to him. I feel that Rafa did the right thing in getting rid now mainly because Keane is 29 on his next b-day and no-one bar spurs would have paid that money for him. He value im sure would have depreciated more by the summer with his age and probable lack of goals.

Liverpool will not actually lose as much as the media potray either.

They paid 18.3m plus 2m add ons(which spurs didnt receive) and will recoup 14.5m with add ons. Its still however a substantial loss in 6 months.

Also, to be slagging Rafa off is plain stupid. Liverpool are in the last 16 of CL AGAIN. It is the norm now which says alot plus they are putting in a challenge for the League for the first time since 1996.

To topple united/chelsea will take some doing. United have been winning leagues for fun, Giggs has 10 league medals since Pool last won the league ffs.

I said before the season started that a real challenge in the league this year and I'd be happy and maybe try to win a cup (fa being the more likely if any)

If Torres/Gerrard stay fit they will be there to the end i think. United are massive favourites, its like second nature to them. The first one is the hardest to win as united will testify after 26years. I think Leeds beat them to it when they challenged properly for the first time in years in 1991-1992.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Pighead wrote: »
    Mr Alan contraction #548321

and i noticed he hasnt been around since you posted pighead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If Torres/Gerrard stay fit they will be there to the end i think. United are massive favourites, its like second nature to them. The first one is the hardest to win as united will testify after 26years. I think Leeds beat them to it when they challenged properly for the first time in years in 1991-1992.

You're right there. Big parallels if Liverpool lose out this time around after giving it a shot.

I honestly don't see them winning the league and have been saying it from the first day of the season talking with the lads in work.
    But if they strengthen (and I mean really strengthen - no more Pennants and the like) during the summer, they'll be in a good situation with the experience of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

just clarifying that i was joking..
    He'll have far better players at his disposal too.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    just clarifying that i was joking..

I knew you were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I knew you were.

Don't worry mental mick, first we should be happy that we are top, then that we are still top after draw 1, draw 2, etc etc. Now we should be happy we are two points behind utd, in a few weeks it'll be we should be happy in the top4.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

noodler wrote: »
    Don't worry mental mick, first we should be happy that we are top, then that we are still top after draw 1, draw 2, etc etc. Now we should be happy we are two points behind utd, in a few weeks it'll be we should be happy in the top4.

I hope you are never happy in life.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Gutted for Keane, really am. Admittedly I didn't think his signing was needed. Afterall, we found a formation that brought out the best of Torres and Gerrard. Plus, we have been screaming out for a class right winger for years now.

Anyway to my points.

Two things...

One, Keane was a pawn in the power struggle between Benitez and Parry and whether he played well or not or fitted into the Liverpool team was I think largely irrelevant. I think Benitez had decided exactly what do do from the onset, when he was denied Barry (despite the fact that Keane cost more than Villa's asking price for Barry. That must have been galling for Benitez). Keane didn't stand a chance.

Which leads to my second point about the seemingly spineless display by Keane - he's not the first player who's struggled to adapt to a new club, (and a higher ranking one too) in his first season - even Shevchenko stuck at it at Chelsea for a couple of seasons before he gave up. Yet Keane goes, tail between legs, back to his old club after only six months. However much Spurs welcomes him back, that's humiliating for a player. He is a seasoned pro and players like him won't give up on a top four team, especially the one he'd always followed, even if he wasn't playing regularly - if he knew it was only a question of earning his place in the team on merit. Keane must have realised the predicament he was in quite early on, that, whatever he did on the pitch hardly mattered because Benitez did not want him, end of.

Finally, it's also interesting to note that other Liverpool players, that is, those who have influence within the team - Gerrard, Carragher, Alonso (so I hear) - have been hardly vocal in Keane's support. They knew he was doomed from the start. Lawrenson's article on Gerrard thinking Keane was off in January proved right afterall.

An interesting study of power politics at play in a team. Shame from a Liverpool's fan perspective it was us, the team he supported like us all this had to unfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I actually a bit disappointed that Villa didn't sell Barry to Liverpool for 15million or so in the summer. We could have then bought him back for 8million.
    Missed opportunity tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

One good thing to come out of this for Robbie, the whole episode will certainly up his autobiography sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Keane named as new Club Captain at Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good confidence building move by 'Arry imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

One way for him to win over any reluctant spurs fan can be done this weekend putting in a stellar performance and leading us to a win. Brace or a hat-trick be a nice way to rub some salt in Rafa's wounds if Liverpool draw again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hallelujah!!!! If Torres and/or Gerrard get injured, we are ******.

Mental I hope your feelin better after your sickness yesterday. Your argument base on the above fact. Get over it, there not injured & please god they won't get injured. The way your goin on you'll be hopin they get injured to prove your point.

Well I say we'd be ****** regardless if Keane is there or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah, they don't play with 2 out and out strikers, but they still have a "striker" who plays the link up role, which is exaclty what Keane was doing at spurs.

So the fact that Benitez didn't recognise this is worrying. Or if he did see something else in him his tactic didn't work - that is of course he was the one who bought him.

If he was the one who bought him - he should be really questioning his ability to spot how players will fit in and maybe get someone to do this for him instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I actually a bit disappointed that Villa didn't sell Barry to Liverpool for 15million or so in the summer. We could have then bought him back for 8million.
    Missed opportunity tbh!

True, but you'd probably be around 8th rather than top 4 now.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Good confidence building move by 'Arry imo.

For Keane maybe, not sure if it will do much for the confidence or spirit of the Spurs players who didn't leave 6 months ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement