Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Great move by Harry. I really do expect Keane to regain his old form at Spurs. Harry will play him in a formation that actually suits him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,723 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

PHB wrote: »
    Great move by Harry. I really do expect Keane to regain his old form at Spurs. Harry will play him in a formation that actually suits him.

Modric is actually hitting a bit of form although sporadic, thinks he needs a season to settle in, will be interesting to see how he links up with Keane instead of Bent and the large Russian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I can understand Rafa's point of selling Keane. If he's not going to use the player or doesn't think he'll fit in then sell him.
    I definitely think Keane got a raw deal at Liverpool and that Benitez didn't want him from the start.
    I've seen Keane in some matches for Liverpool and he played well..especially in the Everton match.
    Even at the start he was still creating chances for Torres and others while not getting goals.
    So what the hell are Kuyt and Lucas still doing at the club. This I cannot fathom. For sure they're not better players than Keane...which seems to point to the board signing Keane and not Rafa..so he throws his toys out of his pram and other picks him so often..subbing him after 60mins or putting him on with 10 mins to go. With managers treating you like this who needs enemies.
    Keane although he doesn't know it yet is way better off at Spurs..he'll be more appreciated for his input and guaranteed to score goals for them.
    Hopefully he'll get the score against LFC in the last day to deny them the league..but odds that LFC will still be in for that are slim.
    It's United's league now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Boggles wrote: »
    Modric is actually hitting a bit of form although sporadic, thinks he needs a season to settle in, will be interesting to see how he links up with Keane instead of Bent and the large Russian.

Ya he really has been very sporadic he's been a bit disappointing but if he can play at his best every game he'd be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mayordenis wrote: »
    I hope you are never happy in life.

Then I'd be a bitter old Queen like you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

my word its getting a bit bitchy in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

my word its getting a bit bitchy in here

Tis all handbags :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Pighead/Pvt. Poker, sorry i haven't been online. Pvt Poker, this apology applies to you especially as its apparent the sole reason for your presence on this forum is some sort of cute little man crush you have on me (its the only reason i can think of considering virtually every post you make is about me).

Pighead, you quoted a post in which i said Keane was doing alright & will probably get around 15 goals all season.

Rafa then sells him recouping virtually all the money we initially spent on him.

I say, personally i wouldnt have sold him & would have got rid in the summer-but i have faith that Rafa knows what he is doing more than me. Everyone knows i have faith in Rafa.

How am i possibly contradicting myself. Something that i have no doubt you could make every poster on this site seem like they do, seen as your sole reason for being here seems to be to try and catch out other posters by reading their post history, its a gimmick & it got old a long time ago tbh.

What seems to have sparked you into life, and brought my stalker out from hiding is me saying "Keane did pants", let me clear this up for you....Keane did not do "pants", pants was probably a little harsh, but its fair to say a lot of people expected more from him.

The reason i said that was because people were professing that if Torres gets injured for any period we'll be in big trouble as Keane wont be there to deputise....Now this would be a valid point, except for the fact that Keane hardly set the world alight while deputising before Christmas....as I said in the post you quoted from me, Keane did alright.....we also happen to have other players who could do "alright" in that role (Kuyt certainly, possibly Ngog, possibly Babel). So i dont see the major issue. Rafa is far more important to Liverpool than Robbie Keane, hence why, although it may not have been my course of action, i can certainly see why he has done what he did.

But maybe its just football fans language that confuses you, i'll clear it up....when i say, "Riise is ****e!", i dont actually mean he is literally "****e", i mean he is frustrating & perhaps not good enough....he is a talented footballer, no one can doubt that. I still reserve the right to call him ****e on any given day though.

My crime here seems to have been that I stuck up for a player by saying he was doing "alright", i then say i can see the reasons why the manager got rid of him (and also say it may not have been my choice) & that I amn't going to ****ing spaz out because of it.

That delights yourself & Pvt. Poker?!

Get a life, the pair of you.

this is my last post on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

One good thing to come out of this for Robbie, the whole episode will certainly up his autobiography sales.

"my dream mooave, in tattas n all dat n all. i used ta collect da stickas of Rush n Aldo, put up da posters in my ruuwam on da wall roun me bed. Now dey tossin me ou like a piece a meat. scarleh i was"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote: »
    How am i possibly contradicting myself. Something that i have no doubt you could make every poster on this site seem like they do, seen as your sole reason for being here seems to be to try and catch out other posters by reading their post history, its a gimmick & it got old a long time ago tbh.
    It's not a gimmick Al. It's a calling. Pighead sees himself as a modern day Batman. Instead of fighting evil, Pighead is at war with lies, hypocrisies and double standards. Instead of a bat signal, Pighead is alerted to these lies, hypocrisies and double standards by an itch in his arse.

The bigger the hypocrisy the itchier the arse. The itch won't die down until the hypocrite has been unveiled by using the Super-Search-System. Only then does Pighead's arse return to it's normal non-itching self. Unfortunately due to the amount of lies, double standards and hypocrisies in the soccer forum, these non itchy moments are rare.

And to be blunt Al, it's you that's making Pigheads arse itch more than most.

Now back on topic, Robbie's a great guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Trilla wrote: »
    "my dream mooave, in tattas n all dat n all. i used ta collect da stickas of Rush n Aldo, put up da posters in my ruuwam on da wall roun me bed. Now dey tossin me ou like a piece a meat. scarleh i was"
    *Haven't read much of this thread*

I think he's lost his accent somewhere in translation over the years. Maybe something to do with his WAG. Unlike Willo Flood, i'm surprised Strachan didnt need a translator! (Also the 1st time i've seen strachan tower over anyone, maybe he was sitting down :D).

As a general point - i'm really not buying into the "he didnt settle in the team" argument. Can anybody seriously argue the likes of Babel have settled, despite being given infinite more time? It's pretty harsh to judge someone on half a season, more so when that half a season is spent in/out the team.

I'm sure everyone could give plenty of examples of people who didn't instantly settle in a side but who went to achieve great things. Thierry Henry didn't find the net in his first 8 games for Arsenal and he played pretty much every minute. In todays climate i wonder is that a quick "didnt settle, back to Italy with him!!!".. Cristiano Ronaldo took a bit of time to settle. Lampard needed time to settle in at Chelsea too coming from the Hammers. Whether it's adjusting to a new league or a new team, you cant always expect instant results, probably even more so in the position robbie plays* - *which for liverpool was never a settled one.

Meh, i think he would have come good. It's too easy to say he's been a failure at the big clubs. Inter Milan & Liverpool both 6 month stays, first time the manager gets sacked and 2nd time the manager either wont give him a consistent run or doesnt rate him. It's fair to say he wasn't an instant success but i dont think he was given the chance that his transfer fees indicated he would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

D.S. wrote: »
    I don't think we are making the same point. Not disputing that Spurs need players right now. And that things are a little desperate and the opportunity to go to clubs where money was still outstanding and negotiate deals was highly attractive.

My point simply is - what the hell are Spurs playing at. Spurs have been grossly mis-managed by Levy. They should never have been in this position. Neither Defoe or Keane should of been allowed to leave without quality replacements. I'd argue that Spurs would have been nowhere close to their current predicament if they had managed their summer sales/purchases better last summer.

The fact that they sold Robbie/Defoe and bought them back again show a club being poorly managed. Yes they needed them, but they needed them 6 months ago and should never have been allowed to leave.

Levy threw away this season for Spurs. Doesn't make sense at all. A terrible waste of time..

IMO Spurs deserve everything they get after Jol. I'm not sure how the club is run or who's doing it but they're pretty rubbish.

With Redknapp, they'll probably be around the UEFA cup places when they were a whisper away from breaking into the top 4.

IDIOTS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Trilla wrote: »
    "my dream mooave, in tattas n all dat n all. i used ta collect da stickas of Rush n Aldo, put up da posters in my ruuwam on da wall roun me bed. Now dey tossin me ou like a piece a meat.

lol :)
    scarleh i was"

ROFL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

nn5mv4.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Pighead/Pvt. Poker, sorry i haven't been online. Pvt Poker, this apology applies to you especially as its apparent the sole reason for your presence on this forum is some sort of cute little man crush you have on me

YOU AND BOGGLES ARE THE SAME PERSON!!
    thats the only logical answer at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mental I hope your feelin better after your sickness yesterday. Your argument base on the above fact. Get over it, there not injured & please god they won't get injured. The way your goin on you'll be hopin they get injured to prove your point.

Well I say we'd be ****** regardless if Keane is there or not.

Thanks. I was back at work today, and I soooooooooo missed it!! NOT! I agree with you, any chance of us even aspiring to challenge for the title this year, is gone imo.....

Thanks Rafa........close the door on your way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

JPA wrote: »
    nn5mv4.gif

That's the funniest thing I've seen on here in ages!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

photoxu2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That looks real!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

shane86 wrote: »
    lol :)
    ROFL :D

Cheers! Didnt even use "bleedin muppeh" or "wats da staary wit dah". Inspiration from one of his first interviews after his Rep of Ireland debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Now that Gerrard has torn his hamstring, it'd be handy to have a player like Robbie to fill into your squad so you don't lose too much quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

eZe^ wrote: »
    Now that Gerrard has torn his hamstring, it'd be handy to have a player like Robbie to fill into your squad so you don't lose too much quality.

There's noone in the world who doesn't agree with you bar those devoted to Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jaysus, let it go. For the love of God!!!! :pac:

Benayoun, although not of Gerrard's quality, will fit in nicely there behind Torres if we use the same formation!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

let this go,keane got his chance,showed he wasnt up to the level required and ends up not much better than Voronin or possibly just slightly better than Sean Dundee.

Yossi has been playing very well and either him or Babel will slot nicely in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

raven136 wrote: »
    let this go,keane got his chance,showed he wasnt up to the level required and ends up not much better than Voronin or possibly just slightly better than Sean Dundee.

Yossi has been playing very well and either him or Babel will slot nicely in there.

If either of them two beome a permanent fixture in the side I will eat my hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

monkey9 wrote: »
    Benayoun

Sums it up for me tbh. :D

Fair enough, I'll let it go, but I do think it'll cost you by the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

redout wrote: »
    If either of them two beome a permanent fixture in the side I will eat my hat.

3 weeks is all they are required for.

No point in pining for Keane,he wasnt up to it,so we do with what we have.

Oh and Benayoun has been one of liverpools best players over the past month or so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

u are bang right.

pity keane was sh1t. i would have much rather parry/rafa/roy keanes dog had bought someone else for 20 million pounds. the move never made sense to me unless we were going to play 4-4-2.
    i want franck ribery!!! you hear that rafa

FRANCK RIBERY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Jazzy wrote: »
    u are bang right.

pity keane was sh1t. i would have much rather parry/rafa/roy keanes dog had bought someone else for 20 million pounds. the move never made sense to me unless we were going to play 4-4-2.
    i want franck ribery!!! you hear that rafa

FRANCK RIBERY

I couldnt see Ribery wanting to move to Liverpool in a million years. He is at Bayern Munich and won a domestic double last year. He moved because he wanted to win things. Real Madrid are reportedly linked with a move for him. I dont think he would want to go to Pool if sides like Madrid who offer him a better chance of success come calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

*Haven't read much of this thread*

I think he's lost his accent somewhere in translation over the years. Maybe something to do with his WAG. Unlike Willo Flood, i'm surprised Strachan didnt need a translator! (Also the 1st time i've seen strachan tower over anyone, maybe he was sitting down :D).

As a general point - i'm really not buying into the "he didnt settle in the team" argument. Can anybody seriously argue the likes of Babel have settled, despite being given infinite more time? It's pretty harsh to judge someone on half a season, more so when that half a season is spent in/out the team.

I'm sure everyone could give plenty of examples of people who didn't instantly settle in a side but who went to achieve great things. Thierry Henry didn't find the net in his first 8 games for Arsenal and he played pretty much every minute. In todays climate i wonder is that a quick "didnt settle, back to Italy with him!!!".. Cristiano Ronaldo took a bit of time to settle. Lampard needed time to settle in at Chelsea too coming from the Hammers. Whether it's adjusting to a new league or a new team, you cant always expect instant results, probably even more so in the position robbie plays* - *which for liverpool was never a settled one.

you pretty much answered your own query in that post. What do the likes of Henry (when he moved to Arsenal), Babel and Ronaldo all have in common besides being given time to settle? All young players bought with bright futures and plenty of development ahead. What was Keane bought for? the exact opposite - an impact NOW. A 28 year old striker proven in the premier league. Once he spent half a season being underwhelming, there isn't a lot of point pressing the issue when theres an option there to opt out. I would imagine he was brought in because there should have been no settling in time. He isn't going to improve any more as a player, and he knew quite a lot of liverpool players already, being good friends with Gerrard and Carra.

From a purely on-field pov, i would have liked him to stay since we didnt have time to replace, but from Rafa's pov i can completely see his positioning. He had a firm offer to get the money back. He may have had that in the summer, he may not, but the point is he had it Now. Could we risk trying to offload him a year older and clearly out of favour when the likes of Spurs had already filled their holes up front? God knows how much pool are going to have to spend in the summer, but barring a takeover its most likely going to be whatever Rafa can make so for the long term good of the club we're probably better off, considering we do have the likes of Yossi who can step into Keanes exact role behind a front man with good results, while Gerrard is out. I would however have much preferred we had another option up top, but Keane was always far from ideal for this role anyway, given his lack of pace or physicality. Babel and Ngog are certainly built better for the role in Torres absense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

redout wrote: »
    I dont think he would want to go to Pool if sides like Madrid who offer him a better chance of success come calling.

Real don't have a better chance of success, their currently 12 points behind Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

colly10 wrote: »
    Real don't have a better chance of success, their currently 12 points behind Barca

having actually won their league the two previous seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Pighead wrote: »
    It's not a gimmick Al. It's a calling. Pighead sees himself as a modern day Batman. Instead of fighting evil, Pighead is at war with lies, hypocrisies and double standards. Instead of a bat signal, Pighead is alerted to these lies, hypocrisies and double standards by an itch in his arse.

The bigger the hypocrisy the itchier the arse. The itch won't die down until the hypocrite has been unveiled by using the Super-Search-System. Only then does Pighead's arse return to it's normal non-itching self. Unfortunately due to the amount of lies, double standards and hypocrisies in the soccer forum, these non itchy moments are rare.

And to be blunt Al, it's you that's making Pigheads arse itch more than most.

Now back on topic, Robbie's a great guy.

:D:D:D:D

Best post I've read on the soccer forum in years, well done PigHead for exposing Mr.Alan for the farce that he is :)

Advertisement