Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Its a shame about robbie he is a great talent when he is in form, his confidence is at rock bottom at the moment and you cant see it improving in the next few weeks. Raffa seems to have lost faith with him.

Wonder will trap start him for the game against georgia imo keane has not played well at international level for a long while now. I know he is leading goal scorer but he is one most frustrating players to watch in croke park.

Will he stay or will he go ??

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/1/26/Paddy-Power-on-Keane/gnid-37170/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Wonder will trap start him for the game against georgia imo keane has not played well at international level for a long while now. I know he is leading goal scorer but he is one most frustrating players to watch in croke park.

]

I'd say Trap will play him. Chance to give him some deserved match fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

who else does Trap have tbh

ye, it's a frightening thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Up front?

Hunt, Doyle, Keogh, Duff, Morrison, Long, nearly all players in infinitely better form than Keane at the minute. That is what I hate about captaincy, so many managers think it should allow a player starts regardless of current form.

Doyle and Morrison (both in current good form) feeding off the rest mentioned, not a bad option IMO.

shane86 wrote: »
    Up front?

Hunt, Doyle, Keogh, Duff, Morrison, Long, nearly all players in infinitely better form than Keane at the minute. That is what I hate about captaincy, so many managers think it should allow a player starts regardless of current form.

Doyle and Morrison (both in current good form) feeding off the rest mentioned, not a bad option IMO.

Hunt and Duff up front?
    about the other strikers
    none of them have proven themselves at international level compared to Keane

im not his biggest fan but he does the job for Ireland
    he'll probly turn into somthing like David Healy

none of them have proven themselves at international level compared to Keane

They havent had the chance. Keane has done FA in competitive matches for years now.

im not his biggest fan but he does the job for Ireland
    he'll probly turn into somthing like David Healy

If Keane ends the WC qualifiers as the top scorer I will eat my own head.

They havent had the chance. Keane has done FA in competitive matches for years now.

If Keane ends the WC qualifiers as the top scorer I will eat my own head.

None of the other players are in the PL so they're not against top quality sides

:)not as top scorer at all

what i ment was Healy cant get into the sunderland team but still does the business for NI

and ill eat your head too if he ends as top scorer in the WC qualifiers
    ill bring the tomato sauce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I think we all know that Kevin Doyle is class and deserves to be in the premiership. I am not 100% but I think he is the top scorer in the championship at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rafa sais he picked N'gog instead of Keane in the squad.

I know he is a different option but my god, what has that particular player done to be seen ahead of Keane in the reckoning? I can only assume Rafa doesn't talk to his players and there was some kind of problem.

Whatever about Keane's problems this season, I think few here would argue that he has a better pedigree than David N'Gog

I think that keane was a Parry signing and Benitez hadnt much of a saying in it at all. He has been frozen out since the start really with Rafa always hauling him off after an hour regardless of performance.

dropping him altogether from the squad even made this theory more plausable. Would a manager really drop a 20m fit proven striker from a squad? I think that rafa is trying to make a point here especially when you take into his account his reasons for not signing the new contract ---He wants FULL control of all transfers.

Anyone else any thoughts on this?

Liverpool cant afford to get rid of Keane though in Jan, if Keane or Gerrard were to pick up an injury they would be seriously stuck.

and ill eat your head too if he ends as top scorer in the WC qualifiers
    ill bring the tomato sauce

:D

IIRC Healy is currently on a barren spell for NI.

He played in their FA Cup match recently, had a goal ruled offside I think.

Doyle and Hunt are deffo Prem quality. Not necessarily top 4 yet, but still EPL, which is why Reading are fending off Everton, Spurs, Villa etc etc. They know they need to keep th lads until summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thats true as well. Without Torres, Keane's goals got us results against West Brom, Athletico, Arsenal and Bolton. I don't think anyone we have would have fufilled that role as well.

I don't believe however that Rafa is petty enough to simply drop Keane at the expense of the team to make a point to Parry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How could he drop Keane?

Probably Andy Reid could only play in the position he does for us and we all know that's not gonna happen any time soon.

:D

He played in their FA Cup match recently, had a goal ruled offside I think.

Doyle and Hunt are deffo Prem quality. Not necessarily top 4 yet, but still EPL, which is why Reading are fending off Everton, Spurs, Villa etc etc. They know they need to keep th lads until summer.

healys last goal was in a 4-0 will over San Marino, Wed, 15 Oct 2008

didnt reading agree a deal with another pl side for hunt

was it wigan ?

i agree about Doyle,hes good enough for the Pl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Whatever about Keane's form and arm waving, he's still our best player to have up front with Doyle.

He may not be likeable, and his arm waving is infuriating, but he's got a touch of quality that our other options don't have.

Anyone know off hand what his International goals record is, something like 47th highest international goal scorer of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

zAbbo wrote: »
    Whatever about Keane's form and arm waving, he's still our best player to have up front with Doyle.

He may not be likeable, and his arm waving is infuriating, but he's got a touch of quality that our other options don't have.

Anyone know off hand what his International goals record is, something like 47th highest international goal scorer of all time.

35 Goals in 85 Games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

redout wrote: »
    35 Goals in 85 Games.

That's quality, a very good return - regardless of the opposition. Some of the best players in history don't have that return. (Ronaldo, Dalglish, Van Basten, Maradona etc.)

Not saying those stats prove everything, but he's got the goals.

Until another option comes along, Keane should start, although I like the idea of having someone like Stephen Ireland playing in the hole, off Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

Whenever i've watched Robbie since he's left spurs he gives the impression that he's trying way to hard and not letting his game flow at all.

He was much better being a big fish in a small pond.

Hopefully he comes good soon and starts to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

He played in their FA Cup match recently,

Northern Ireland are in the FA Cup?!?:confused::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And people have a go at United when Fergie doesn't even mention a player...

so what's the latest development on Keane then? reading various comments about his future today but everything is still very hush hush. wtf is going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good question he was asked after the game and said "I think so" but thats not a "YES he is". It looked like Jamie Redknapp was speaking out of turn earlier so who knows.

28 hrs and 28 mins until window slams shut.

I think Jamie tends to loose the run of himself at times. it's pretty **** he didn't even get in the squad though. I hope for his sake, he gets a deal done with spurs by tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

syngindub wrote: »
    I think Jamie tends to loose the run of himself at times. it's pretty **** he didn't even get in the squad though. I hope for his sake, he gets a deal done with spurs by tomorrow night.

It will give him a good opportunity to get his confidence back in the champioship next season.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    It will give him a good opportunity to get his confidence back in the champioship next season.
    ye jesus, talk about an eventful year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay Spooney (fivelive) could be taking the pish but he has just said as a FACT that Spurs have tabled a bid of 15 million bring Keane back to WHL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

mike65 wrote: »
    Okay Spooney (fivelive) could be taking the pish but he has just said as a FACT that Spurs have tabled a bid of 15 million bring Keane back to WHL.

Saw that over on 365.

The only thing of note about that is that Spoony is a massive Liverpool fan, and would have a few friends in the know. However, SSN usually get this sort of stuff first.

If Spuds are gonna pay £15 million for him though, they are having the royal pish taken out of them. Keane is worth no more than £10 million at the moment.

Considering Defoe cost them £15 when they sold him for £7 million, if you combine Defoe and Keane, spurs are down £3million, all for the pleasure of being without two of their top strikers. :D

if he does go, i wonder will there be a clause not letting him play his part against the pool on the last day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I think it's ridiculous that Rafa complains that he's taken a knock to his confidence, when it's all Rafa's fault.

How can you have a player, who you either play and then substitute, or don't play at all, and expect him to be fine mentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

syngindub wrote: »
    if he does go, i wonder will there be a clause not letting him play his part against the pool on the last day

Illegal unless it's a loan deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think that keane was a Parry signing and Benitez hadnt much of a saying in it at all. He has been frozen out since the start really with Rafa always hauling him off after an hour regardless of performance.

dropping him altogether from the squad even made this theory more plausable. Would a manager really drop a 20m fit proven striker from a squad? I think that rafa is trying to make a point here especially when you take into his account his reasons for not signing the new contract ---He wants FULL control of all transfers.

Anyone else any thoughts on this?

Liverpool cant afford to get rid of Keane though in Jan, if Keane or Gerrard were to pick up an injury they would be seriously stuck.

I don't believe this. There's no way Parry would make a £20m signing that Benitez disn't want. There's one thing blocking a signing (Barry for 20m) but makeing one! I can't believe a club like liverpool would throw away 20m on a player the manager didn't want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Keane can't leave Liverpool unless Liverpool buy another striker today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Aaron Lennon plus cash for keane. Bad deal for us losing our best young player prefer to give them bently he does nothing for us defensively. (This is just a rumour not a fact.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,723 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous that Rafa complains that he's taken a knock to his confidence, when it's all Rafa's fault.

How can you have a player, who you either play and then substitute, or don't play at all, and expect him to be fine mentally.

Rafas man management is extremely poor, Crouch and Pennant gave us a glimpse of his "odd" style and treatment of players. He was the same with Alonso last summer, leaving him limbo and sending mixed signals, over the Barry transfer.

This all smacks of picking on a player to make a point to the board, extremely unprofessional and childish behaviour, over the past few weeks he really has gone down in my estimation, no class or dignity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Stacksey wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else think Robbie is finished, he has been an absolute disgrace for liverpool, i think he has let himself down and has been found out, he's like a headless Milan Baros, running everywhere and going nowhere, he wouldnt look out of place playing for Finn Harps at the moment, Why on earth would man city table a bid for £20 million for this donkey, Without someone like berbatov who continously set him up he is nothing, Kevin Doyle is our only hope of making the finals now, goodbye robbie

If you were bought for 18m, played for 60 minutes a game and taken off, you score you're still taken off, you score and are then dropped from the squad let alone the first team, your confidence would be shot to **** too.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Boggles wrote: »
    Rafas man management is extremely poor, Crouch and Pennant gave us a glimpse of his "odd" style and treatment of players. He was the same with Alonso last summer, leaving him limbo and sending mixed signals, over the Barry transfer.

This all smacks of picking on a player to make a point to the board, extremely unprofessional and childish behaviour, over the past few weeks he really has gone down in my estimation, no class or dignity.

I have been a critic of Rafa's of late but that has been regarding his team selections more so than his man management. What are you talking about when you mention Crouch and Pennant. Liverpool more often than not play a 4-4-1-1 formation...should Crouch of started ahead of Torres or Gerrard...I think not. Ye he was a good player and I for one would of liked him to stay as he would of been very effective coming off the bench and I'm sure rafa probably thought the same; however Crouch wanted first team football for the sake of his England career etc etc.

As for Pennant...that guy has had his chances...didn't perform for one but his off the field behaviour was shocking by all accounts. Forget about the fact that he reportedly went out to nightclubs when he shouldn't, he also used to turn up late for training...Rafa had enough and he was right.

I would not say Alonso was left in limbo...he was the subject of interest from Juve by all accounts who apparently made a verbal offer at a certain level. Liverpool rejected that offer as it did not match their valuation of the player. Juve declared themselves no longer interested and signed Sissoko; however Liverpool still wanted Barry...I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Rafa made Crouch's career by... y'know signing the chap and sticking by him during that time when everyone in the world was heaping unprecedented levels of gick at him.

Pennant never kicked on from some decent performances - I'm sure most rival fans would agree he's not up the the standard required for a title challenge.

As everyone kept telling us in the Liverpool thread, Alonso had a shocker of a season and was plagued with injuries - Rafa was hedging his bets. Nobody knew he'd play as well as he has this season. Mind you, Barry's playing quite well too.
    over the past few weeks he really has gone down in my estimation, no class or dignity.
    lmao.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Rafas man management is extremely poor, Crouch and Pennant gave us a glimpse of his "odd" style and treatment of players.

Yeah, really odd leaving Crouch on the bench in favour of the best striker in the world alright. Totally bizarre, the guy is obviously clueless. I'm glad that Crouch has gone on to show his true potential at a side challenging for the title and the champions league.
    He was the same with Alonso last summer, leaving him limbo and sending mixed signals, over the Barry transfer.

Alonso had two bad seasons prior to this summer. Rafa said publicly a number of times that as far as he was concerned Barry joining did not mean Alonso leaving. Unless you are privy to more confidential information relating to these 'mixed signals' than the rest of us? Can you give us some examples of these mixed signals? Media speculation doesn't count.

Keane has played ****loads for Liverpool this season, and he has not been up to the standard required for a title challenging side. Rafa would have been branded a clueless moron if he had persisted with Keane, and he is being branded as a clueless moron for dropping/rotating him. It is impossible for Rafa to win you over, just admit it. No matter what Rafa does, he will never, ever, ever earn your respect or the respect of people like you. At least just admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

SWAR wrote: »
    I would not say Alonso was left in limbo...he was the subject of interest from Juve by all accounts who apparently made a verbal offer at a certain level. Liverpool rejected that offer as it did not match their valuation of the player. Juve declared themselves no longer interested and signed Sissoko; however Liverpool still wanted Barry...I don't see the problem.

Liverpool rejected it because it wasn't enough to then use to buy Barry. They treated Alonso like crap last year but look at him on the field this year. You'd understand if he felt a bit under appreciated given he's such an important player but he acted with class during that farce and on the field this season. Benitez was severely lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Charlie wrote: »

Considering Defoe cost them £15 when they sold him for £7 million, if you combine Defoe and Keane, spurs are down £3million, all for the pleasure of being without two of their top strikers. :D

Could be worse, could have Shola Ameobi up front...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,723 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

spockety wrote: »
    Yeah, really odd leaving Crouch on the bench in favour of the best striker in the world alright. Totally bizarre, the guy is obviously clueless. I'm glad that Crouch has gone on to show his true potential at a side challenging for the title and the champions league.

Leaving him on the bench in favour of Torres is one matter, bringing on Vorinon ahead of him is another.

He treated Alonso like dirt, remember the press conference last year when Alonso looked depressed and dejected

Whatever about the performances, Crouch and Pennant basically said the same thing, that they never knew where they stood with Rafa, which is poor man management which was my point.

The whole thing with Keane backs up the point completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I wonder how people would feel on this issue if it was someone like say Jermaine Defoe getting treated this way by Liverpool and not our own most high-profile striker? I do think there is a certain level of green-tinted spectacles when it comes to Robbie and his career.

Now, I'm a big fan of Keane but at the same time I do think he just doesn't have what it takes to make it at the very top level. It's the story now as what happened to him at Inter back in 2002. The new manager didn't fancy him and his chances were limited leading to a sharp exit from the San Siro. Outcry here as people say he wasn't given a chance but you've got to ask yourself "why wasn't he given the chance?". Maybe the answer is down to Robbie the player and not merely Marco Tardelli (and now Rafa) not taking a shine to him.

Similiarily people say that when he's picked by Rafa the team set-up doesn't suit him and he doesn't perform to his best. Well who's fault is that? Keane wouldn't be the first player asked to change his game to fit into a system. The difference is the very best players can make this adaptation and the rest just get shown up for not being able to make that next step. Robbie is in the rest.

I don't agree that Keane was ever bought to be a foil for Torres. If anything he was brought in as a relief striker for Torres and possibly to play wide if needed. The fact that he didn't do the business in Torres's absense is a mark against him and his clear inability to fit in with other roles is possibly 'all she wrote' on the matter.

I think the best thing for Robbie is that he gets away from Anfield asap. He had his shot and it hasn't worked out. He wouldn't be the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Liverpool rejected it because it wasn't enough to then use to buy Barry. They treated Alonso like crap last year but look at him on the field this year. You'd understand if he felt a bit under appreciated given he's such an important player but he acted with class during that farce and on the field this season. Benitez was severely lacking.

Apart from the fact he may have been left out of the team a few times last year as he was not having a good season I fail to see where you get your information, or lack off...but please feel free to elaborate and share some of your inside knowledge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

looks like spurs are in for Quarema, which would indicate they need a right winger, pointing to lennon leaving for liverpool and robbie goin the other way.

good deal imo.

Quarema play's left i think leaving us with Lennon and Bently for the right but would leave it open for Lennon to go to Anfield wouldn't like to see him go tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Quarema play's left i think leaving us with Lennon and Bently for the right but would leave it open for Lennon to go to Anfield wouldn't like to see him go tho.

Plays both sides I think. Check out some of his outside of the boot goals on youtube they are amazing.

Robbie on the way to London now apparently says SSN.

Importantly they say was cash only :). Keeping Lennon:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement