Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

joe123 wrote: »
    Plays both sides I think. Check out some of his outside of the boot goals on youtube they are amazing.

As a pool fan i would have prefarred Quaresma to lennon for sheer class..

Oh i see that now about the cash only and saviola going to who ever doesnt have robbie.. this is gas, you would wonder how much truth is on ssn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

coco06 wrote: »
    Oh i see that now about the cash only and saviola going to who ever doesnt have robbie.. this is gas, you would wonder how much truth is on ssn!
    I'll tell ya at 5pm.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

syngindub wrote: »

That article is over 10 hours old. One would expect there'd have been progress one way or the other since then - although probably not if Parry is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

SWAR wrote: »
    Apart from the fact he may have been left out of the team a few times last year as he was not having a good season I fail to see where you get your information, or lack off...but please feel free to elaborate and share some of your inside knowledge?

You don't need inside knowledge to make the connection between trying to buy one player and being turned down because your offer isn't big enough and trying to sell your own and also turning it down because the offer isn't big enough.
    He was an integral part of the midfield and still is. What was the justification for trying to off load him? A few bad performances?
    Would they have entertained interest from another club if Gerrard had played badly for a few games and someone made a bid? Don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It wasn't "a few games" - he had been pretty muck for 2 seasons straight and hadn't come near to the level he showed in his debut season with Liverpool. You can sit there and say "oh I knew he'd come through in the end!" all you like - but that's rubbish. Plus as has already been said ad nausem, Rafa WANTED BOTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

zing wrote: »

Holy Testicle Tuesday, I never thought this could happen! Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Holy Testicle Tuesday, I never thought this could happen! Christ

seriously? it was always gonna happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

He had his chances- the misses against Stoke in particular and that horrible miss in the champions league were particularily awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just when Benitez looks like proving the naysayers wrong...off he goes and proves them right all along.
    From the outburst at Ferguson, from still not knowing his best 11...playing Kuyt on the wing,,,not playing Keane who's miles better than Kuyt..
    playing Lucas for god's sake..a guy with no talent whatsoever..
    Its' great to be an ABL -(anyone but Liverpool) :D

ye not looking good for him. we could really struggle if we cant get a replacement in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A £16m deal would bring his total career transfers up to £73m... ikes...

Neil3030 wrote: »
    A £16m deal would bring his total career transfers up to £73m... ikes...

Yeh ridiculous money for a player that can be described as just above mediocre at best

draffodx wrote: »
    Yeh ridiculous money for a player that can be described as just above mediocre at best

He gets a percentage from each transfer fee, maybe he knows he has better chance of making money this way than by his ability and thus instigates all these moves!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suggestion of Saviola coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Utterly ridiculous statement, Keane is a very good Premiership striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Heard Rumor this morning of Keane going back to spurs with Aron Lennon coming to Anfiled as part of the deal .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Himself and Defoe were never the best playing with each other thou, doesn't look like that could be a problem this season, but will be next.

Surprised and sad to see this tbh.

However I hope that the fee for him is a straight deal rather and not partially based on performances, etc.. Given that we won't have spent much more than the initial 19m on him (i.e. very little in performance/incentives) so the overall cost is hopefully little more 3m

Boggles wrote: »
    Himself and Defoe were never the best playing with each other thou, doesn't look like that could be a problem this season, but will be next.

I agree, but I suspect the move is motivated by a desire to make sure we have that problem next season, rather than the problem of selling Defoe because we've been relegated [if his injury is as serious as I've heard, he's out for the season.]

Short term> long term when you're in a relegation scrap, lets worry about the future after May 24th.

FWIW, if Defoe wasn't injured I'd not want Keane back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Spurs make new Keane bid
    Liverpool considering latest approach
    Last updated: 2nd February 2009

Keane: New Spurs bid

Sky Sports News sources understand that Tottenham have made an improved offer for Liverpool striker Robbie Keane.

Keane is now believed to be travelling to London, with speculation growing that his brief career on Merseyside could be coming to an end.

Spurs' latest bid for the Republic of Ireland international, who only left White Hart Lane for Anfield in an £18million deal in the summer, is a cash-only offer.

It had been reported in the Monday morning papers that the Reds were looking to secure the services of winger Aaron Lennon as part of the deal.

But Harry Redknapp is keen to retain the services of Lennon and the North London club's new approach is purely financial.

Sources close to the proposed switch have told Sky Sports News that Liverpool will respond to Spurs by midday on Monday.

One possible knock-on effect to any deal for Keane would impact on the future of Real Madrid striker Javier Saviola.

The Argentina international, who was previously interesting Portsmouth, had been linked with a loan switch to White Hart Lane, but that deal will be halted if Keane signs.

Saviola, who is not in the first-team picture with the Spanish giants, could then find himself heading to Anfield to bolster Rafa Benitez's striking options

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4885184,00.html

I thought the rules stated Keane could only do a loan deal ?

There was talk about us not being able to re-sign a player within 12 months after we sold him i remember that when everyone was talking about getting Defo back but no one surely would buy him if we couldn't play him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

hope the snow won't affect his trip to London.

• Advertisement

Apparently Keane is doing a medical this afternoon for sure as confirmed by SSN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

There was talk about us not being able to re-sign a player within 12 months after we sold him i remember that when everyone was talking about getting Defo back but no one surely would buy him if we couldn't play him.

Rule L19 states that a club cannot apply to register a player who has left them within a 12-month period except with prior written consent.

However the rule was introduced to stop abuse in the loan market. With Spurs getting the green light for the Defoe transfer I can't see this being a problem with Keane's return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Apparently Keane is doing a medical this afternoon for sure as confirmed by SSN.

How funny would it be if he failed it. :D

I don't rate him to be honest, its true to say he's a good premiership player but he's not worth all the money that has been spent on him. And he has seriously under performed for Ireland lately too so I just don't rate him

The way he was treated at Liverpool was a disgrace though

Boggles wrote: »
    How funny would it be if he failed it. :D

:p

Would be fairly messy alright.

How could he come back.......

• Advertisement

I don't rate him to be honest, its true to say he's a good premiership player but he's not worth all the money that has been spent on him. And he has seriously under performed for Ireland lately too so I just don't rate him

Just to clarify so, just above mediocre = good premiership player?

You don't think much of the league, do you?

Keane always performed much better with spurs then with Ireland.

Keane officially given permission to talk to spurs

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N163104090202-1310.htm

But then we all knew that already - just not 'officially'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

What the hell are Spurs at that they let Robbie go and then sign him back 6 months later?? It's absolutely ridiculous. Fair enough 'Arry wasn't at the club but what the hell is levy playing at. Sells off all their strikers, and start's buying them back again??

As a United fan, no Liverpool bashing intended, but Robbie is a good striker. Not a great striker but a good one and on his day, can contribute important goals. I'd rate him better than Kuyt, except for the fact he has been off form. That being said, a lot of players don't settle in their first season. Selling Robbie after 6 months seems crazy. Surely the soonest you should of been looking to sell him was Jan 12 months from now. His track record speaks for itself.

Just seems like a terrible waste of time and money going from one club to another and back again in the space of 6 months. Nobody really will have benefitted bar Robbie's agent who must be laughing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

he's not worth all the money that has been spent on him.

You're in agreement with SAF then - when Coventry or Wolves or soemone was looking for 6million for him, didn't he say he wouldn't pay 600,000 for him! About right tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is there no discussion about the fact that Liverpool will not have paid for Keane at all? Be surprised if they have paid 50%.
    So it will be a case of cancelling what is owed and maybe Spurs topping it up with a few more million.
    Spurs appear to be spending more than they actually are with the way these deals for Keane and Defoe are set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

D.S. wrote: »
    What the hell are Spurs at that they let Robbie go and then sign him back 6 months later??

And Defoe...

I wonder is this an argument that a 'Director of Football' should actually be a good thing, to keep some continuity, considering managers will come and go. I think Souness was arguing this point last night, while Giles was saying the opposite, that the manager should have all control.

BTW, if, I only said if, Liverpool were to go on and win the League, would Keane get a medal having played 10 games? If so, could make for an interesting last game for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Just to clarify so, just above mediocre = good premiership player?

You don't think much of the league, do you?

He scored roughly 1 in 2 for the past few years in the prem iirc, just becasue he hasn't done in for Liverpool does not make him a bad player, look at Morientes who was top scorer in the CL the year before he came to us, did nothing at Liverpool then started banging them in again when he left, happens to alot of strikers with us.
    Keane gets alot more abuse than he deserves off the irish "fans", he's done well for us in the past and it's not like we have much better waiting to replace him, he actually has an interest in playing for us unlike some, he deserves alot more respect

What the hell are Spurs at that they let Robbie go and then sign him back 6 months later?? It's absolutely ridiculous. Fair enough 'Arry wasn't at the club but what the hell is levy playing at. Sells off all their strikers, and start's buying them back again??

I dare say circumstances are very different six months on, and if Levy has been told by Redknapp that he needs Keane to help the club stay up, and if Keane/Pool hasn't worked out that well in the intervening period, then it's not really that hard to understand why it's happening.

I'm one of Levy's fiercest critics, and I still think he dropped the ball by not adequately replacing Keane (didn't have a problem with £20m for him to go though ;)) but I don't really think you can lump the re-signing of him (and Defoe) in on top of decisions made in the last year.

Defoe will miss the next three weeks at a minimum, probably more if rumours are to be believed...we need a striker who can score goals in the PL, and they don't come any more suited than a player who has 6 years at the club already under his belt. It's a case of needs must.

And Defoe...

I wonder is this an argument that a 'Director of Football' should actually be a good thing, to keep some continuity, considering managers will come and go. I think Souness was arguing this point last night, while Giles was saying the opposite, that the manager should have all control.

BTW, if, I only said if, Liverpool were to go on and win the League, would Keane get a medal having played 10 games? If so, could make for an interesting last game for him!

Whether Managers are coming and going or not, or whether your director is in control vrs manager, I just can't fathom why any club would sell all their strikers without bringing in replacements, and then decide to buy them back again a few months later? It's just ridiculous..

Liverpool have lost a player who could of came v good for them this season.

That being said, I think Rafa dropping him from the bench was killing his confidence and making it unnecessarily hard for him..

• Advertisement

So the whole Lawrenson Gerrard thing was true all along and Jamie Redknapp stuck his foot in it big time yesterday on Sky. If Keane returns he will be viewed as a failure by many in my opinion. I really dont know if I would be happy seeing him return if I was a Spurs fan. Liverpool was always too big a club for Keane. He is not a big club player and never will be.

JPA wrote: »
    Spurs appear to be spending more than they actually are with the way these deals for Keane and Defoe are set up.

I've alluded to this over on the Spurs forum. I believe Redknapp was given the green light to shop in the PL window, but told he could spend more if he were to target clubs that still owe us money from previous years transfer (Pompey, Sunderland, and obviously Liverpool), hence the arrival of Defoe, Chimbonda and possibly Keane.

The fact that we were linked with Kenwyn Jones reinforces that point for me.

There will be virtually no transfer of cash between the clubs mentioned, but there is and will be a large write off od outstanding debt.

I believe the actual transfer kitty available to 'Arry was all used up by purchasing Palacios.

I'm one of Levy's fiercest critics, and I still think he dropped the ball by not adequately replacing Keane (didn't have a problem with £20m for him to go though ;)) but I don't really think you can lump the re-signing of him (and Defoe) in on top of decisions made in the last year.

Well I think you hit the nail on the head in the first part. As a general rule, don't let a player go unless you have a replacement.

On the seond point, I just don't agree. Letting one player go and come back would be foolish. Letting two players go and sign both back? It's just retarded and looks like bad planning and management within the hierarchy of the club.

I wonder could we throw Vorronin in as part of the deal too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I've alluded to this over on the Spurs forum. I believe Redknapp was given the green light to shop in the PL window, but told he could spend more if he were to target clubs that still owe us money from previous years transfer (Pompey, Sunderland, and obviously Liverpool), hence the arrival of Defoe, Chimbonda and possibly Keane.

The fact that we were linked with Kenwyn Jones reinforces that point for me.

There will be virtually no transfer of cash between the clubs mentioned, but there is and will be a large write off od outstanding debt.

I believe the actual transfer kitty available to 'Arry was all used up by purchasing Palacios.

Do you think defoe and keane can play together?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

redout wrote: »
    So the whole Lawrenson Gerrard thing was true all along and Jamie Redknapp stuck his foot in it big time yesterday on Sky. If Keane returns he will be viewed as a failure by many in my opinion. I really dont know if I would be happy seeing him return if I was a Spurs fan. Liverpool was always too big a club for Keane. He is not a big club player and never will be.

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

If Lawrenson was so bang on, then why is it taking until the last hours of the transfer window for this to happen, surely it would have happened weeks ago...?

On the seond point, I just don't agree. Letting one player go and come back would be foolish. Letting two players go and sign both back? It's just retarded and looks like bad planning and management within the hierarchy of the club.

If we were comfortably mid-table right now I'd tend to agree. We're not though, we're bottom half with a difficult run-in to season's end and a shortage of goals.

Do you think when Defoe was sold last January that anyone at the club saw that on the horizon?

I don't think your is a valid conclusion to be honest, we need PL-proven players to help us stay up. I dare say if Tainio and Malbranque were available Harry would love them both back from Sunderland.

spockety wrote: »
    A stopped clock is right twice a day.

If Lawrenson was so bang on, then why is it taking until the last hours of the transfer window for this to happen, surely it would have happened weeks ago...?

That by no means indicates the whole Lawrenson thing was bull.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Do you think defoe and keane can play together?

As I said above, there are rumours that Defoe's current injury is more serious than the club is letting on, and he may be out for the rest of the season. They may not get to play together until next August at that rate.

FWIW, I don't believe previous managers put enough work into trying to make the two of them work together. That's a charge I've levelled at Martin Jol, and Ramos is equally as guilty. I think a better question is will Defoe and Keane provide David Bentley with a presence in the box for him to cross to, which is what we surely signed him for.

I can't see Redknapp dropping a fit Defoe tbh, so why are we signing Keane unless he thinks:

(a) they can play together, or
    (b) Defoe is out for the season, so I need another player to partner Pavlyuchenko.

• Advertisement

If we were comfortably mid-table right now I'd tend to agree. We're not though, we're bottom half with a difficult run-in to season's end and a shortage of goals.

Do you think when Defoe was sold last January that anyone at the club saw that on the horizon?

I don't think your is a valid conclusion to be honest, we need PL-proven players to help us stay up. I dare say if Tainio and Malbranque were available Harry would love them both back from Sunderland.

I don't think we are making the same point. Not disputing that Spurs need players right now. And that things are a little desperate and the opportunity to go to clubs where money was still outstanding and negotiate deals was highly attractive.

My point simply is - what the hell are Spurs playing at. Spurs have been grossly mis-managed by Levy. They should never have been in this position. Neither Defoe or Keane should of been allowed to leave without quality replacements. I'd argue that Spurs would have been nowhere close to their current predicament if they had managed their summer sales/purchases better last summer.

The fact that they sold Robbie/Defoe and bought them back again show a club being poorly managed. Yes they needed them, but they needed them 6 months ago and should never have been allowed to leave.

Levy threw away this season for Spurs. Doesn't make sense at all. A terrible waste of time..

Advertisement