Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thankfully Keane is cup tied for the Carling Cup so won't have to worry about him in the final should he sign. (played 2 minutes...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I really don't understand the Robbie Keane bashers. I'm shocked at how quickly Liverpool fans have turned against him.

I'm a total Man United fan and I have to say that up until maybe 4 games ago, I absolutely hated Berbatov. I felt his demeanor in particular just made him a player totally not suited to the way we played. Annoyingly Ferguson stuck with him and it's only now we are getting the rewards for Fergusons belief in him. And for that I am delighted!

When news broke that Keane was to sign for Liverpool, most fans I knew were delighted, he was playing his best ever football at Spurs. However they did question where exactly he was going to fit in to the Liverpool side. He's never been an all out striker and his best role is playing behind someone.

Now it seems after his poor performance and there's no denying that, they were very poor performances, every Liverpool fan seems to think he is a terrible player. The bottom line is that he has never been given the chance to prove himself at Liverpool. It can take a season for a striker to fit in at a club. Generally when a club buys a player, they buy him for a particular role, one that he is good at. Keane was asked to play a role that he wasn't familiar with, so it was obviously going to take him longer to settle in. He was never given the chance to settle.

If the rumours are true that it was Parry who bought Keane, well that makes Benitez not look so silly for buying a player and losing faith with him so quickly.

For me, Keane never fitted into how Liverpool play. I thought at the time it was a bold decision by Benitez and that he was going to start playing a more creative game. But he didn't, and that's another days work.

I just hope Keane gets back to his best at Spurs (if he goes back that is) and shoves it in all you doubters faces! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

D.S. wrote: »
    I don't think we are making the same point.

To be honest, I think you're arguing two points with yourself...;)

Defoe was sold a year ago, with 18 months left on his contract and him stalling on a new deal because he'd spent two years on the bench under Jol, and even Ramos seemed inclined towards a Keane/Berbatov partnership at that stage. I don't blame Defoe for not signing the new deal, he wanted to play football and wasn't get his chance. And I don't consider his sale as a bad move, with a good offer from Pompey given he could start thinking of a Bosman in 6 months time, and with a clear preference for Keane from the manager.

Fast forward to the start of this summer, and Keane's move to Liverpool came out of the blue. Right then we'd all have loved to have Defoe in waiting, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Where Levy did fcuk up was to not address the absence of Keane with a transfer in asap, and so with hours to go in the window last August we had Bent as our sole striker if Berbatov was sold. That was criminal, and Levy should have been shown the door by his masters at ENIC. Pavlyuchenko and a hastily arranged loan for Campbell was closing the stable door after the horse had bolted.

There's the charge you can lay at the door of Levy. Had we recruited an adequate replacement for Keane back in July we would likely not be having this discussion right now. Indeed if we'd signed Craig Bellamy last week would we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

tomED wrote: »
    I really don't understand the Robbie Keane bashers. I'm shocked at how quickly Liverpool fans have turned against him.

I'm a total Man United fan and I have to say that up until maybe 4 games ago, I absolutely hated Berbatov.

:rolleyes:

total contradiction there. you say you hated berbatov yet cant understand how liverpool fans have turned against robbie.

as to how any "fan " can say they hate a player, just signed for the club is shocking. im sure that no fan on here will say they hate robbie keane, disappointed in him yes and infact im sure some will blame benitez for it. but the word hatred as used here is appaling. for shame.

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

total contradiction there. you say you hated berbatov yet cant understand how liverpool fans have turned against robbie.

as to how any "fan " can say they hate a player, just signed for the club is shocking. im sure that no fan on here will say they hate robbie keane, disappointed in him yes and infact im sure some will blame benitez for it. but the word hatred as used here is appaling. for shame.

If you read it in context you will see it's not a contradiction at all. You will see my point was that Ferguson gave Berbatov a chance to prove that he is worth his weight in gold. Poor Robbie wasn't even given that chance.

LOL @ your response to the "hate" word. I think most common sensical people will get the idea of what I really meant when I said "hate". Do I need to spell it out for you?

• Advertisement

If you read it in context you will see it's not a contradiction at all. You will see my point was that Ferguson gave Berbatov a chance to prove that he is worth his weight in gold. Poor Robbie wasn't even given that chance.

LOL @ your response to the "hate" word. I think most common sensical people will get the idea of what I really meant when I said "hate". Do I need to spell it out for you?

no my friend, your english is perfectly readable for me thanks. you said you hated berbatov up until 4 games ago. thats enought for me.fergie gave berba the chance, if it was up to you, he wouldnt have got it. thankfully fergie knows a bit more about him than you :P.

define hate for me please? just incase, here it is -

Hatred or hate is a word that describes intense feelings of dislike. It can be used in a wide variety of contexts, from hatred of inanimate objects (e.g. homework, vegetables) to hatred of other people, or even groups of people.

no my friend, your english is perfectly readable for me thanks. you said you hated berbatov up until 4 games ago. thats enought for me.

define hate for me please? just incase, here it is -

Hatred or hate is a word that describes intense feelings of dislike. It can be used in a wide variety of contexts, from hatred of inanimate objects (e.g. homework, vegetables) to hatred of other people, or even groups of people

Obviously not with this response....... So I will spell out what I meant just to stop the nonsense you are spouting.

My phrase "I hated Berbatov" was not a personal attack on Berbatov, but a non "matter of fact" statement based around his form at the time.

That make more sense for you now? ffs...
    fergie gave berba the chance, if it was up to you, he wouldnt have got it. thankfully fergie knows a bit more about him than you :P..

No I certainly wouldn't have and that's why I don't manage Man United. However, Benitez manages Liverpool and you would expect him to have some clue of what he is doing and how to handle a player like Robbie Keane.

We're still not sure if Benitez was handed Keane, if he wasn't it casts a huge doubt over his ability to spot and manage talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

As a Utd fan its easy to have a chuckle at this whole farce but I have to say some of it really doesnt stack up and apart from Mr.Keane making a shed load of cash by way of another signing on fee he has been treated like shoite by Liverpool.

1 - Liverpool go after him, surely Robbie spoke to Rafa at some stage and got a feel for where he was going to fit into the team. Rafa now claiming that he had fook all to do with the signing and it was "the club" who bought him. Did Robbie not smell a rat at this stage if this indeed is the truth from Rafa :confused:

2 - Would Rafa be so reckless to let the club go and spend the guts of £20m on a player and still not play him even though he obviously didnt rate him :confused: Hmmm, doubt it. Unless he wanted to get one over on his employers, again unlikely.

3 - Was Keane given a fair crack of the whip? In a word no. He was being labelled a flop as far back as November, highly unfair imho given the amount of minutes he was actually being afforded.

There was a hullaballoo when Lawro said this -

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5354956.ece

Whos laughing now? Some retribution now for Lawro getting the inside track despite Gerrard's murmurings of being misquited, private chat etc.

Most interestingly I can't wait to see how Spurs fan's receive him now, do they want him back after his mini-mutiny :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

the lawro thing was a shame. the first sentence in it from him is a lie iirc. they dont have the same agent.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    the lawro thing was a shame. the first sentence in it from him is a lie iirc. they dont have the same agent.

what was this? i missed it, can you explain please?!:o:o:o

having his medical now anyway, im shocked to be honest, i didnt expect this a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    Most interestingly I can't wait to see how Spurs fan's receive him now, do they want him back after his mini-mutiny :confused:

There's a lot of ill-feeling towards him on the main board I use, but there was always a disproportionate amount of critics of the player there in the first place (favoured Defoe mainly). He got a frosty reception in the league game from the lower Park Lane, but some of those numpties were the main cheerleading squad for Robinson until he stated to fall apart then they turned on him as well.

It would be best for Keane if he keeps his mouth shut about the move and does his talking on the pitch. And no badge-kissing please Robbie, we know who your boyhood club is...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that Rafa is letting Robbie go. He played a big part in Liverpools excellent start to the season. Are the Liverpool fans not flabbergasted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Sizzler wrote: »
    As a Utd fan its easy to have a chuckle at this whole farce but I have to say some of it really doesnt stack up and apart from Mr.Keane making a shed load of cash by way of another signing on fee he has been treated like shoite by Liverpool.

1 - Liverpool go after him, surely Robbie spoke to Rafa at some stage and got a feel for where he was going to fit into the team. Rafa now claiming that he had fook all to do with the signing and it was "the club" who bought him. Did Robbie not smell a rat at this stage if this indeed is the truth from Rafa :confused:

2 - Would Rafa be so reckless to let the club go and spend the guts of £20m on a player and still not play him even though he obviously didnt rate him :confused: Hmmm, doubt it. Unless he wanted to get one over on his employers, again unlikely.

3 - Was Keane given a fair crack of the whip? In a word no. He was being labelled a flop as far back as November, highly unfair imho given the amount of minutes he was actually being afforded.

There was a hullaballoo when Lawro said this -

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5354956.ece

Whos laughing now? Some retribution now for Lawro getting the inside track despite Gerrard's murmurings of being misquited, private chat etc.

Agree with everything you say, good post. I feel sorry for Robbie - no matter which way you cut, he has been treated shabbily.

what was this? i missed it, can you explain please?!:o:o:o

Lawro says he know this cause he spoke to Gerrard who knows wats going on cause Robbie & him share an agent.

They dont.

Lawro says he know this cause he spoke to Gerrard who knows wats going on cause Robbie & him share an agent.

They dont.

thanks....just read the link there. would be shocked if he actually said that, surely if he is a mate with gerrard, he would respect his friendship and just say " i think robbie will leave" and leave at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Rafas a joke, Keanes not a bad player.. just needs time. Same way Berbatov was given time when he was having bad game after bad game. He's started to come good now.

I hope he goes back to Spurs and scores against Liverpool in anfield.

Ps, i only read the original post, not all the posts in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm absolutely flabbergasted that Rafa is letting Robbie go. He played a big part in Liverpools excellent start to the season. Are the Liverpool fans not flabbergasted?

Personally, I'm not flabbergasted, more bemused by the whole thing. Benitez has been increasingly losing the plot over the past season and a half. Nothing he does surprises me any more.

I'm no fan of Robbie Keane but I feel sorry for him - he an unfortunate pawn in a f*cked up political game at Anfield, of which Benitez is the biggest culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ardent wrote: »
    Benitez has been increasingly losing the plot over the past season and a half. Nothing he does surprises me any more

What?:confused:

As for Keane, i'm disappointed that he's prob moving cause to say he has been a complete flop is very harsh.. he's had some very good games, the only thing was some of the chances he missed were absolutely terrible... against preston, bolton, fulham etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Rafas a joke, Keanes not a bad player.. just needs time. Same way Berbatov was given time when he was having bad game after bad game. He's started to come good now.

I hope he goes back to Spurs and scores against Liverpool in anfield.

Ps, i only read the original post, not all the posts in this thread.

You have to trust the manager !!!!! The move didn't work out for him for a number of reasons albeit some not within his control. I wish him the best going forward but certainly do not hope that he scores upon his return against Liverpool.

tok9 wrote: »
    What?:confused:

well most united fans would say rafas lost the plot over the past month,i think that what he is referring to. a year and a half is a bit much though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

well most united fans would say rafas lost the plot over the past month,i think that what he is referring to. a year and a half is a bit much though.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I never thought buying Keane was a good idea. He doesn't play the type of football that Liverpool like. But, he should have had more of a chance to partner with Torres.

Who knows what will happen today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If we weren't going to be able to recover 80% of what we paid for him, I don't think that he would be going.. But it is looking increasingly like we will recoup the vast majority of what we have paid for him. As such, just selling him isn't the worst decision in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You have to feel for Keane. His dream has turned into a nightmare.

When news broke that Keane was to sign for Liverpool, most fans I knew were delighted, he was playing his best ever football at Spurs. However they did question where exactly he was going to fit in to the Liverpool side. He's never been an all out striker and his best role is playing behind someone.

Now it seems after his poor performance and there's no denying that, they were very poor performances, every Liverpool fan seems to think he is a terrible player. The bottom line is that he has never been given the chance to prove himself at Liverpool. It can take a season for a striker to fit in at a club.

As a Liverpool fan, I know 99% of fellow fans were bemused when Keane signed for us, especially the price tag.
    I couldn't see where Keane would slot into the side.

Keane is not a crap player, he just doesn't fit into the Liverpool set-up as it is.
    Yes it can take a striker a season to fit in but when you've had the luxury of watching Torres rip defences to shreds from day one at Liverpool you're not going to wait around for Keane to get his shooting boots on.

I feel sorry for Robbie, it hasn't worked out but he's better off back at Spurs than sitting in the stands at Anfield.

As a Liverpool fan, I know 99% of fellow fans were bemused when Keane signed for us, especially the price tag.
    I couldn't see where Keane would slot into the side.
    99%? Well obviously none of those fans post on boards. The majority of pool fans in here were delighted when Robbie signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Trampas

fee agreed with Spurs SSN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

99%? Well obviously none of those fans post on boards. The majority of pool fans in here were delighted when Robbie signed.

I think Mr Alan expressed reservations at the time.

He did to me in person anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Liverpool agree fee with Spurs for Robbie.

Medical is done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

from guardian
    3:43pm: Michael Meagher wants to know whether Robbie Keane has played enough games for Liverpool to get a league winner's medal even if he leaves. Yes, Michael, he has, since the minimum number of games you have to feature in is 10, meaning that, if Liverpool claim the title, Keane could become a league champion and get relegated in the same season.

No, I imagine they don't post here.

mike65 wrote: »
    from guardian

Well, he could get relegated alright...;)

Des wrote: »

Hate to tell you this Des but Al lied to you.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56564357&postcount=34

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Wish Robbie all the best. Real shame things didn't work out as he would have hoped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Keane is not a crap player, he just doesn't fit into the Liverpool set-up as it is.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Liverpool will never win the league as long as Rafa insists on building the team around accomadating Gerrard, no flexibilty = no league trophy.

• Advertisement

Hate to tell you this Des but Al lied to you.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56564357&postcount=34

that post shows i didnt have any reservations? come on pighead!

Final game of the season:

Sunday, 24 May 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Tottenham, 16:00

shocked. disappointed for robbie, lets hope it does not ruin his career. rafa and parry have alot to answer for, and i think that this will have major repercussions at the end of the season for all concerned at anfield.

this is a major embarrassment for liverpool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Final game of the season:

Sunday, 24 May 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Tottenham, 16:00

Guaranteed that he'll get the winner to hand United the title :(

Boggles wrote: »
    I've said it before and I will say it again, Liverpool will never win the league as long as Rafa insists on building the team around accomadating Gerrard, no flexibilty = no league trophy.

no flexibility?

wat are you talking about?

isn't gerrard quite flexible in that he can play in 4-4-2 as a normal midfielder?

or 4-2-3-1 as either a normal midfielder or right sided player?

also play as a right winger in 4-4-2?

or off the striker in a 4-4-2?

wat are you talking about boggles?

• Advertisement

that post shows i didnt have any reservations? come on pighead!

You likes the look of that line up! Surely if you had reservations about signing Keane you wouldn't have liked the look of it? Did you have reservations about signing Keane and if so what were they?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56424196&postcount=33
    have rated Keane the last 2 seasons tbh. would prefer Villa but beggars cant be choosers :)

Boggles wrote: »

If it came down to accommodating Keane or accommodating Gerrard, I know which one I'd have gone for....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

he actually told me that he "effing hates Robbie Keane"

Melion wrote: »
    Guaranteed that he'll get the winner to hand United the title :(

hopefully the deal will incl a "gentlemans agreement" like the one Utd made with Everton & Howard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

no flexibility?

isn't gerrard quite flexible in that he can play in 4-4-2 as a normal midfielder?

He is shocking in the centre and there lies the problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

no flexibility?

nah your wrong alan, he's a very defined DM/AM/SS/FW RLC, no flexibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Lads, he's obviously talking bóllox looking for a reaction. Just for once, lets not give it to him

he actually told me that he "effing hates Robbie Keane"

he has always wrecked my head.

feel a little sorry for him with this move & think he was unlucky with the injuries Torres picked up...but he had plenty of chances & never/rarely grasped them.

If this move means that Rafa now has total control over transfer targets, then i like it.

hopefully the deal will incl a "gentlemans agreement" like the one Utd made with Everton & Howard.

Would be an amazing situation to see a player who had the chance to deny himself a league winner's medal. Has that ever happened before I wonder? Where's Martin Tyler when you need him.

I wonder too if Keane would be willing to deny himself a winner's medal in order to prove a point to Rafa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement