Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

guarantee a clause in the contract that he can't play against the pool on the last day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he has always wrecked my head.

feel a little sorry for him with this move & think he was unlucky with the injuries Torres picked up...but he had plenty of chances & never/rarely grasped them.

If this move means that Rafa now has total control over transfer targets, then i like it.
    That's bollox Al. You're being unfair on Keane. He played a big part in your excellent start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

syngindub wrote: »
    guarantee a clause in the contract that he can't play against the pool on the last day

This would not be allowed as its a transfer as opposed to a loan. As mentioned there may well be a gentlemans agreement in place beneath the table. Having said that it would be very interesting if Spurs needed a result against Liverpool in the final game to avoid relegation. :p:p:p:p I wonder if the agreement would be upheld if indeed it exists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

hopefully the deal will incl a "gentlemans agreement" like the one Utd made with Everton & Howard.

Not a loan move. So no it won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

True, that...and if i remember correctly Everton presumed Howard couldn't play in a game against Utd, when he actually could have. It came to light afterwards...or am I remembering wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Pighead wrote: »
    That's bollox Al. You're being unfair on Keane. He played a big part in your excellent start to the season.

calm down little piggy.

lets look at wat i said & see where i was unfair on Robbie......
    he has always wrecked my head.well, he has

feel a little sorry for him with this move & think he was unlucky with the injuries Torres picked up...but he had plenty of chances & never/rarely grasped them. he may have developed an excellent partnership with Torres if he hadnt have spent most of the time in the physios up to Jan. we'll never know. He was undoubtadly poor in a lot of games for us against poor enough opposition where he could have made an impression

If this move means that Rafa now has total control over transfer targets, then i like it.again, this is true. Manager is the most important man at the club, everyone knows i believe Rafa is a special manager, now if he has the say over who comes & who goes, i am delighted about this. the fact that a player who i've never liked-and who was at best average for us, has been collateral damage in this, may not be fair, but its not bollox

so basically, i wasnt talking bollox.

Robbie played a part in our good start, definately. played a massive part? dont think so.

He'll get a medal if we win the league, wat more does he want? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

I wonder too if Keane would be willing to deny himself a winner's medal in order to prove a point to Rafa.

Why would Keane want a medal from Liverpool winning the League? I mean, seriously - if he was actually swayed like that he would be a pathetic loser.

He might as well buy one off ebay for all it would mean. A reminder of a disastrous period, when he was publicly disavowed by the manager and not seen competent enough even for the bench at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

didn't realise that rule for transfers.
    notice no Goodbye Robbie thread :)
    He's back were he belongs, great for Ireland

Nunu wrote: »
    True, that...and if i remember correctly Everton presumed Howard couldn't play in a game against Utd, when he actually could have. It came to light afterwards...or am I remembering wrong?

iirc, after the Howard loan was finished and he was signed-someone (Moyes/Ferguson etc) let it slip they had agreed he wouldnt line out against Utd. not technically allowed-but near impossible to enforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

quad_red wrote: »
    Why would Keane want a medal from Liverpool winning the League? I mean, seriously - if he was actually swayed like that he would be a pathetic loser.

He might as well buy one off ebay for all it would mean. A reminder of a disastrous period, when he was publicly disavowed by the manager and not seen competent enough even for the bench at the end.

Lets not cod ourselves Keane would take the medal like a shot if it comes to pass. The record books will show that he would have played a part in the season.

I honestly didn't think Rafa would sell Keane in this window...with time constraints in getting a replacement and Champions league player registration to consider. The fact that he's gone shows that him not even making the bench in a couple of recent games was basically a big 'For Sale' sign. I mean come on it was ludicrous that he couln't make matchday squads when you consider the substitute options in those games.

Robbie played a part in our good start, definately. played a massive part? dont think so.
    His goal against Athletico was very important and a good finish, also put in near man of the match performances against Utd and Everton in his first few games. In my opinion he did play a big part in your excellent start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Has any other Liverpool striker scored this season in the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

the fact that a player who i've never liked-and who was at best average for us, has been collateral damage in this, may not be fair, but its not bollox
    I'd probably rate Berba a little higher over all, but Keane is more a Liverpool type of player and more the type of player that we need.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cruel stuff :D

• Advertisement

His goal against Athletico was very important and a good finish, also put in near man of the match performances against Utd and Everton in his first few games. In my opinion he did play a big part in your excellent start to the season.

true, the athletico goal was important-and he was very good against Everton & utd. but he was not man of the match in those games.Thats 3 games out of the 28 he played.

as i said, he played a part, not a big part like Gerrard/Alonso/Kuyt.....but a part none the less....i am not trying to belittle him here mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

the lawro thing was a shame. the first sentence in it from him is a lie iirc. they dont have the same agent.

There must have been something true in the story. He left, didn't he? ;)

iirc, after the Howard loan was finished and he was signed-someone (Moyes/Ferguson etc) let it slip they had agreed he wouldnt line out against Utd. not technically allowed-but near impossible to enforce.

you are correct. As the permanent transfer was agreed in Jan he was allowed to face United.

The "gentlemens" agreement, I believe came in because Fergie may have said we are happy with the loan deal continuing until the summer and you can buy him then. Everton obviously wanted to tie up the deal so must have said we won't play him against ya's.

Keane has been doing well for Liverpool up until the last couple of games, goal against Athletico was very important and a good finish, also put in near MOM performances against Utd and Everton in a his first few games. He has been a big part in our excellent start to the season.

Looks uneasy up top on his own, but happy enough with him overall this far, expect much better performances when Torres is back tbh.

Jaysus Al, that was the start of Nov.

true, the athletico goal was important-and he was very good against Everton & utd. but he was not man of the match in those games.Thats 3 games out of the 28 he played.

as i said, he played a part, not a big part like Gerrard/Alonso/Kuyt.....but a part none the less....i am not trying to belittle him here mate.
    Well according to some pool fans on here he did play a big part.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57797387&postcount=136

This was from December!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58125768&postcount=55

• Advertisement

Jaysus Al, that was the start of Nov.

LOL, tbh it was just an slip of the fingers obviously when i was defending him, written when he was a liverpool player 2 months ago....big part/part who gives a ****e tbh.

:runs off to sanctuary!:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

quad_red wrote: »

Keane is a Liverpool supporter though and would he really want United to pip them to the title?

Picture the scene - it's the 90th minute at Anfield. United's game has ended in a draw. If Liverpool win now, the title is theirs. They are 2-1 up against Spurs. Suddenly Palacios is fouled in the box and the referee points to the spot. Spurs have a penalty. Keane steps forward. If he scores he proves a point to the manager who sold him, but also dashes the title hopes of the team he supported as a boy and gifts the title to their arch rivals. He also denies himself a league medal.

What do you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Do Pool have anyone lined up to replace Keane? it seens rather odd they're shipping Keane out now, tempting faith and all that. Could they not have waited until the summer?

It's not really fair for me and Pighead to double-mark Al so I'm bowing out...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ermm.. I think you can post the links and all that, but ya know... does Mr. Alan really deserve THIS much trolling.......???????

Oh, OK, go on, a little more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Spurs fan here, mixed feelings about Keane coming back.

I think this proves there's a problem at Liverpool. If Parry bought Keane over Benitez' head, that's a major issue.

As for Robbie's return, I don't know how to feel. He left us in the lurch during the summer, now he's back? How kind of him.

I'd say Defoe - who was sold to Pompey because Keane had cemented the 'fast striker' role - is hardly pleased about this.

All in all, I reckon that the Keane sale just shows how ruthless and hyper the transfer market has become. I mean, sold after five months? This points to a major breakdown in communications within the Liverpool hierarchy, and something that just wouldn't have happened to Shankly/Nicholson/Fagan/Dalglish. Liverpool basically messed R. Keane around there, and messed G. Barry around, and I for one have gone off them big-time as a result.

We (Spurs) are just as bad. Re-signing Defoe, Chimbonda and Keane. Why did we sell the first two? And are there no other players out there? It just shows a lack of long-term planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't help but think Keans lack of of pitch time lately was part of the plan. He knew he was going back for a while and Rafa didn't want him to pick up a knock.

Keane is a Liverpool supporter though and would he really want United to pip them to the title?

Picture the scene - it's the 90th minute at Anfield. United's game has ended in a draw. If Liverpool win now, the title is theirs. They are 2-1 up against Spurs. Suddenly Palacios is fouled in the box and the referee points to the spot. Spurs have a penalty. Keane steps forward. If he scores he proves a point to the manager who sold him, but also dashes the title hopes of the team he supported as a boy and gifts the title to their arch rivals. He also denies himself a league medal.

What do you do?

Depends on if scoring the goal means saving the club you currently playing for from going down. :)

But in all seriousness it would probably depend on his goal bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The move is official (according to Harry Redknapp anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

What do you do?

Stick in the back of the net then go over and do a jig in front of Benitez. Simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Some interesting reading on that Berb V Keane thread, especially this little Mystic Meg from Kida back in the start of November.
    kida wrote: »
    thoughts now :D

Berba starting to look good

Keane looking more like a dud every match.

Keane to Spurs for 15M in January

in fairness, pigheads old posts were poor by his own usual high standards....yours got me good though :) but i dont put that much thought into some of my posts (obviously i should!)

at least it was the post where i said i wished we'd sign Tevez & that i didnt want Torres-i'll never forgive Pighead for that! ;)

What do you do?

Get Pavlyuchenko to take it!

Picture the scene - it's the 90th minute at Anfield. United's game has ended in a draw. If Liverpool win now, the title is theirs. They are 2-1 up against Spurs. Suddenly Palacios is fouled in the box and the referee points to the spot. Spurs have a penalty. Keane steps forward. If he scores he proves a point to the manager who sold him, but also dashes the title hopes of the team he supported as a boy and gifts the title to their arch rivals. He also denies himself a league medal. He also possibly sends Spurs down if he misses

What do you do?

Added a bit in there.

GuanYin wrote: »
    Ermm.. I think you can post the links and all that, but ya know... does Mr. Alan really deserve THIS much trolling.......???????

Oh, OK, go on, a little more!!

i miss you too x

Added a bit in there.

It would be about ten times more epic than Denis Law's goal sending United down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

but would keane get a medal, be it winners or runners up? surely not? has this happened before. also applies to the fa cup/champions league though robbies interest in those is now gone. dont think he can play in uefa as the rule states you can move up but not down.

just a thought, larsson got a medal i think but that was different.

Robbie moving back to Spurs can only be good for the national team I reckon. His next few games for Spurs are relatively easy games against Hull, Shaktar and Boro and give hima decent chance of hitting the ground running and regaining his old confidence. Probably best for Robbie to put the last six months down to experience and pick up where he left off from last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

What do you do?
    score
    run to the dig out cartwell, then bow and arrow straight at rafa :p

• Advertisement

score

That would be the greatest thing in the history of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Robbie Keane - Big Failure

Spin it whatever you'se want. Thats the way most are going to look on him now. Massive mistake joining Liverpool. The guy is not a big club player. I said when he moved it was a massive mistake and now proved right. Robbie you made a bollox of yourself and now look all the worse for crawling back to Spurs. Jasus sake, at least move to another club ! The chap looks like a complete fool and so do Liverpool to a lesser extent.

Robbie moving back to Spurs can only be good for the national team I reckon. His next few games for Spurs are relatively easy games against Hull, Shaktar and Boro and give hima decent chance of hitting the ground running and regaining his old confidence. Probably best for Robbie to put the last six months down to experience and pick up where he left off from last season.

Next games are Arsenal (H), Hull (A), Boro (H)

Not registered in time for the Uefa Cup.

Next games are Arsenal (H), Hull (A), Boro (H)

Not registered in time for the Uefa Cup.
    Ah right, forgot about that. Arsenal up next is even easier than the Shaktar game anyway!

I wonder how he'll get on back at Spurs minus Berbatov?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I wonder how he'll get on back at Spurs minus Berbatov?

He always seemed to do well in a 'little and large' partnership (Berbatov, and Mido before him) so he could gel well with Pavlychenko.

Spurs are still a tad light in the Wafer Cup - Pav cup tied, Defoe possibly out for the season and Keane missing the registration deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

liverpools last game of the season is against spurs, can you just imagine if they are still in the race for the championship and all they need is a draw to secure it , when deep into stoppage time the ball come loose in the box and robbie keane strikes it a sweet as a nut into the top corner. the crowd go wild as robbie runs right up to raffa the gaffa and machine guns him in the face. Other results on the day help liverpool finish 5th when a draw would have won the league and the kicker is everton pip them for a champions league position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

score

Don't forget, he doesn't do the cartwheel against former teams.

needy, crawler

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

liverpools last game of the season is against spurs, can you just imagine if they are still in the race for the championship and all they need is a draw to secure it , when deep into stoppage time the ball come loose in the box and robbie keane strikes it a sweet as a nut into the top corner. the crowd go wild as robbie runs right up to raffa the gaffa and machine guns him in the face. Other results on the day help liverpool finish 5th when a draw would have won the league and the kicker is everton pip them for a champions league position.

Or that the alternative was that he'd miss from two yards in the last minute that would've won the league against Tottingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

i wonder does my robbie keane to score less than 10 goals for liverpool in the season still count? put €50 on with me mates and i think its time to collect? though my house mate says no, bet is forfeit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    i wonder does my robbie keane to score less than 10 goals for liverpool in the season still count? put €50 on with me mates and i think its time to collect? though my house mate says no, bet is forfeit.

I'd imagine it's a forfeit. What price did you get out of curiosity

• Advertisement
Advertisement