Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    i wonder does my robbie keane to score less than 10 goals for liverpool in the season still count? put €50 on with me mates and i think its time to collect? though my house mate says no, bet is forfeit.

No way is that bet forfeit, get them to pay up pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Great news for us Spurs and Ireland fans, Keane needs his confidence back for the rest of our WCQ games. Hopefully Keane will start banging the goals in weekly again for us, we badly need him atm. And what the guy on sky sports said IS very interesting; liverpool in the title race till last day, who do they play on the last day? Spurs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

redout wrote: »
    Robbie Keane - Big Failure

Spin it whatever you'se want. Thats the way most are going to look on him now. Massive mistake joining Liverpool. The guy is not a big club player. I said when he moved it was a massive mistake and now proved right. Robbie you made a bollox of yourself and now look all the worse for crawling back to Spurs. Jasus sake, at least move to another club ! The chap looks like a complete fool and so do Liverpool to a lesser extent.

Absolute nonsence. He scored some important goals for Liverpool and it is hardly good man management when you constantly substitute and bench your striker, esp when you paid 20 million for him. IMO Raffa looks the bigger fool. Hope it comes back to bite them, i.e Torres get injured again and have no-one in replacement (of quality)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Thank God Robbie left. He was shockingly ignored but at least he will play more for Spurs. This is good for Ireland too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Absolute nonsence. He scored some important goals for Liverpool and it is hardly good man management when you constantly substitute and bench your striker, esp when you paid 20 million for him. IMO Raffa looks the bigger fool. Hope it comes back to bite them, i.e Torres get injured again and have no-one in replacement (of quality)

what part of this are people not getting?!

There is no one of quality to replace Torres when he gets injured even if Keane stayed at Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What you seem to "not get" or will not acknowledge, is that the dross that is left is not even as good as Keane.

Babel - potential, but he won't live up to it this season.
    Ngog - same, but imo, less potential than Babel.
    Gerrard as a forward = loss in his real position, weakening Liverpool even more
    Yossi - inconsistant, he's been good recently, granted, but it will not last
    Kuyt, not a goalscorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

one injury to torres/gerrard/alonso or mascherano and liverpool at in trouble IMO.

Mr Alan wrote: »

There is no one of quality to replace Torres when he gets injured even if Keane stayed at Liverpool.

in YOUR opinion, one which Rafa does'nt care about.

Keane was doing nothing for Liverpool, apart from running around like a headless chicken.

He did'nt fit into the way Rafa wants to play, simple as that.

Wish him well though, apart from the the last day of season;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Best bit I've read today about it..

"We'll be able to put out a commemorative DVD of his greatest misses whilst at the club." :D

It's now getting a bit like "Barcelona depend on Messi and if he's injured they're in trouble".

Des wrote: »
    Babel - potential, but he won't live up to it this season.
    Ngog - same, but imo, less potential than Babel.
    Yossi - inconsistant, he's been good recently, granted, but it will not last
    Kuyt, not a goalscorer.

was a bid of 15m+ made for any of them?

didnt think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought Keane deputised for Torres well when he had his injury issues earlier in the season. If Torres gets an injury again, which is very likely with his history, then I think Liverpool will be in big trouble. Kuyt or Babel up front? Hardly going to strike fear into the opposition.

I think they should have stuck with him until the summer.

You obviously dont follow football if you think like that about Robbie Keane. He is a quality player, has been great for Spurs and Ireland, scored some amazing goals that Torres could only dream of. So wake up and stop slaggin of Ireland's no 1. If a Spanish or Italian club did the same to Michael Owen there would be uproar but here we just take it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

didnt think so.

Ye cos they're worse than Keane, who has been fairly poor himself since a 20m move 6 months back.

Keane has been ****ed over in Liverpool's ongoing soap opera in how they run their club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

didnt think so.

so Liverpool have just become a selling club then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This makes for quite an amusing read now in hindsight
    RAFA BENITEZ believes Alex Ferguson is rattled by the prospect of facing Robbie Keane in a Liverpool shirt after the United boss questioned his £20m transfer fee.

The United boss spoke of his surprise that Liverpool had shelled out so much for the Irish international striker just days after he had spent £30m on Keane's former Spurs team mate, Dimitar Berbatov.

But Benitez believes Ferguson's latest outburst is no more than another example of the mind games the Scotsman likes to indulge in in the build up to big games like today's lunchtime clash between Liverpool and United at Anfield.

And though Keane is still to find the net for his new club, Benitez is happy with the way he is settling into lifeat Anfield, and backed him to cope with Ferguson's barbed comments.

“Maybe it is because he is worried about Keane,” said the Liverpool manager. “Or maybe he is surprised because Keane was so cheap."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/09/13/sir-alex-ferguson-running-scared-of-robbie-keane-100252-21807859/

Or maybe he actually knows what he's talking about. :pac:

This makes for quite an amusing read now in hindsight

Or maybe he actually knows what he's talking about. :pac:

What a clown:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

No doubt Pool insisted on a clause stating Keane must not play in final game of season.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

No doubt Pool insisted on a clause stating Keane must not play in final game of season.:)

As has already been said, such a clause isn't legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

As has already been discussed, and would be illegal. A unspoken of "gentlemens" agreement well that would be different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

quad_red wrote: »
    As has already been said, such a clause isn't legal.

i think it is. there was some sh*t with howard and united over this. loan deals yes, but permanent deals no.

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    i think it is. there was some sh*t with howard and united over this. loan deals yes, but permanent deals no.

Its legal in loan deals.

Not legal in permanent deals.

Keanes deal is permanent therefore not legal.

What happened with Howard was United had loaned him to Everton for the year. Everton wanted to buy him in January. United seemed to say alre but he can't play against us as per our loan agreement. Everton agreed, everyone tried to keep it hush hush. i.e a gentlemans agreement. With people like Levy, Parry, and Redknapp involved in this deal I doubt such a thing was agreed.

The reason United and Everton managed it was because the player was already on loan but Everton for some reason wanted to do the deal in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

As has already been discussed, and would be illegal. A unspoken of "gentlemens" agreement well that would be different.

Why would Spurs agree to such an agreement? Why would they honour such an agreement?

quad_red wrote: »
    Why would Spurs agree to such an agreement? Why would they honour such an agreement?

They wouldn't as i pointed out. Everton had some reason to agree to it. Spurs don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

You obviously dont follow football if you think like that about Robbie Keane. He is a quality player, has been great for Spurs and Ireland, scored some amazing goals that Torres could only dream of. So wake up and stop slaggin of Ireland's no 1. If a Spanish or Italian club did the same to Michael Owen there would be uproar but here we just take it:rolleyes:

I think what he meant was that since Keane doesn't fit into the Liverpool system of play, he wouldn't be effective up front to be half as good as replacing Torres. Also, where Robbie HAS scored some amazing goals, I think it's fair to same that he's not in the same league as Torres. You're being a little too patriotic about this and it's clouding your judgement on the matter. That said, I will always want Robbie Keane to do well regardless of which club he plays for since he's Irish but I won't rate him as best in the world because that's just blatantly ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just to clarify so, just above mediocre = good premiership player?

You don't think much of the league, do you?

No :D

My above comments may have been posted a bit hastily, He is a good premiership player but a club like Spurs suits him better than a club like Liverpool as someone else said he's not a big team player so I viewed him as mediocre at Liverpool but he'll be a good player at Spurs.

No disregard to Spurs, I'd rather see them win the league than Liverpool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Theyre getting rid of him after 5 months, surely the clause theyd want is making him play the final game no matter what.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The strange thing is if we win the Premiership Keane will get a medal,he has a major conflict of interest if this race goes down to the last day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dub13 wrote: »
    The strange thing is if we win the Premiership Keane will get a medal,he has a major conflict of interest if this race goes down to the last day.

Your assuming he will make the Spurs team. ;)

He is a quality player, has been great for Spurs and Ireland

But not Liverpool
    scored some amazing goals that Torres could only dream of.

You are quite obviously insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I like Robbie Keane and am sorry he left Liverpool as he never really had a chance. I think that he could have been good but I think that it seems to show that he was never a Rafa purchase, if he was he would have given him a better chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It cost Liverpool about £5million to rent Robbie Keane for 5 months. :pac: Ipso facto, he's a rent boy.

I do feel sorry for him, he got messed about big time and does not put our national team captain in the right frame of mind coming into the qualifiers. :(

I do hope he apologises to the spurs fans for leaving last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

5 million ? Has the fee been announced then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Will he kiss the spurs badge when he scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I do feel sorry for him, he got messed about big time and does not put our national team captain in the right frame of mind coming into the qualifiers. :(
    Or.....knowing Keane (as I don't!) he'll be itching to play and to prove a point that he's not in fact rubbish and he'll put in a storming set of international performances.

Apologies I heard it was 15m earlier from pool to spurs, thought it had been finalised. He was bought from spurs for 20m wasn't it? :confused:

Pighead wrote: »
    Or.....knowing Keane (as I don't!) he'll be itching to play and to prove a point that he's not in fact rubbish and he'll put in a storming set of international performances.

I hope so pighead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

the keane to Liverpool transfer is now officially not 20m as they will be paying none of the success related add ones. id imagine at worst for Liverpool they esentially just had robbie on loan till January and now he is back at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

the keane to Liverpool transfer is now officially not 20m as they will be paying none of the success related add ones. id imagine at worst for Liverpool they esentially just had robbie on loan till January and now he is back at Spurs.

The add-ons for Keane's move to Liverpool were not particularly high, I believe the purchase fee was £19m + £1.3m in extras.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

BBC are reporting 12m plus add-ons

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7861523.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I was in Florida when the Keane transfer went through. I stared at the page for about ten seconds thinking that it couldn't be true. Firstly that Rafa wouldn't like that style of player and secondly that even if he did, why would Keane go there as we've all seen how Rafa's treated his strikers over the past number of years.

It was Rafa's mistake to buy him. It was Keane's mistake to allow himself to be bought. He had made himself a cornerstone of the Spurs team and a fan's favourite. His record of a goal every two and a half games for them was phenomenal! Was never given a chance at Liverpool and I'm delighted to see him gone out of there. Hope Harry Redknapp gives him a good go. If he does, I think he'll be back to form soon.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I Hope Harry Redknapp gives him a good go. If he does, I think he'll be back to form soon.

In the championship :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's a crazy scenario. A striker needs a good run in the team to get his form on, just look at Berbatov at Utd, he was slow to begin with but he's found form now. Benitez preferring to put his faith in a donkey like Kuyt is a damning indictment of his managerial style.
    For the record I don't rate Keane but theres no doubt he was messed around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Aidric wrote: »
    It's a crazy scenario. A striker needs a good run in the team to get his form on, just look at Berbatov at Utd, he was slow to begin with but he's found form now. Benitez preferring to put his faith in a donkey like Kuyt is a damning indictment of his managerial style.
    For the record I don't rate Keane but theres no doubt he was messed around.

Amen brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

For the very latest news and the inside track at what really happened in the Spurs to Liverpool to Spurs saga, go to www.robbiekeane.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

shayser wrote: »
    For the very latest news and the inside track at what really happened in the Spurs to Liverpool to Spurs saga, go to www.robbiekeane.com.

That is the worst looking site I've ever seen in my life. I wish I could un-see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

shayser wrote: »
    :p:pac:

I hope he plays on sunday though, perfect game for him to come back into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Best of luck to him I say!

Hope it all works out for him.

CyberWaste wrote: »
    :p:pac:

I hope he plays on sunday though, perfect game for him to come back into.

and plays crap :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

12 million??!?!?!?!?!?!

If Liverpool want to give me 8 million to say I have always supported them for 6 months, I'll do it!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

GuanYin wrote: »

If Liverpool want to give me 8 million to say I have always supported them for 6 months, I'll do it!!

We all no you are a Liverpool fan,and dont say you are a MLS fan as we all not thats not real football...:)

Advertisement