Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I dont think Ive been as disappointed as i am now as a Liverpool supporter, but then again - if liverpool win the league - i wont care. I am disappointed by Keane and the way he hasnt had the heart to stay and fight.

If Keane really wanted to stay at the club, then he could have turned down the Spurs offer and tried to stick it out until the end of the season.

If everyone remembers back to when Torres signed last season. He wasnt playing week in week out, but has had a greater impact to the club when he played during that time. Keane didnt - in a similar playing role.

Infairness to Keane - he has played as many games as Rooney this season in the league, and scored as many goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I like Robbie Keane and am sorry he left Liverpool as he never really had a chance. I think that he could have been good but I think that it seems to show that he was never a Rafa purchase, if he was he would have given him a better chance.

Sums up my opinion on the entire situation perfectly. The best of luck to him at Spurs - though it remains to be seen how Defoe / Bent / Keane / Pav will work out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Dub13 wrote: »
    We all no you are a Liverpool fan,and dont say you are a MLS fan as we all not thats not real football...:)

no, we don't handle the ball in MLS, so it's soccer :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

only 12 million with add ons for keane

thats probly how much liverpool have paid for him anyway

so basically liverpool got a player on loan

hate to say it but thats not bad business

Also, Mr.Alan owned hard in this thread. Actually, destroyed is a better word to use!! If you can come back posting as usual from tomorrow on - then I'll have no fear of Robbie Keane rediscovering his good form at Spurs!! :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

As a neutral I was actually hoping Liverpool would win the Premiership this year. That is until I saw the way Benitez (cabron) and Liverpool treated Robbie Keane. How many strikers have gone to a top club and been an instant success? Robbie Keane is Ireland's leading goalscorer and will give a club a guaranteed 10-20 goals a season. I hope Liverpool get the season they deserve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

only 12 million with add ons for keane

thats probly how much liverpool have paid for him so far

so basically liverpool got a player on loan

hate to say it but thats not bad business
    The fee for Keane was still £19m. It doesn't matter how much Spurs have received of that. If Spurs paid £12m that's still a loss of £7m. Altough apparantly there's success based add ons with todays deal as well so their loss will be cut depending on appearances, etc.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The fee for Keane was still £19m

Did any of that 19m figure involve performance related fees? Or was that the baseline figure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

How many strikers have gone to a top club and been an instant success? Robbie Keane is Ireland's leading goalscorer and will give a club a guaranteed 10-20 goals a season. I hope Liverpool get the season they deserve!

I'll start by saying that we shouldn't have sold him because we need the backup for Torres in case of injury. Benitez likes to go with one striker with Gerrard in behind, it was obvious from early on that he wouldn't accept being a backup to Torres from the whole I don't believe it look he game whenever he was taken off. Benitez doesn't like this sort of thing and things we never likely to work.
    I don't think Benitez was expecting him to be an instant success either, he just didn't want him in the first place. I like Keane but liking him doesn't mean he should be given a run.

VERY disapointed that we have noone but Torres though, if he gets injured we have no strikers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The fee for Keane was still £19m. It doesn't matter how much Spurs have received of that. If Spurs paid £12m that's still a loss of £7m. Altough apparantly there's success based add ons with todays deal as well so their loss will be cut depending on appearances, etc.

so we can say its still come close to 19-20

still not bad tbh

the figure is probly around 5 million loss for pool, not to shabby tbh
    and while he was there got some vital goals

liverpool are very lucky spurs wanted him badly, I couldnt picture any other club wanting him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

To be a striker at one of the best teams in the world, you have to be one of the best strikers in the world. Keane is not one of those. How many chances, clear cut chances did he miss? Too many, way way too many. It's really that simple, he had plenty of oppertunities to score at Liverpool, most of the time, he fluffed it. He is a good player, in the 6 months he was there he always tried his best, but he was just not of the standard Liverpool needed him to be.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Did any of that 19m figure involve performance related fees? Or was that the baseline figure?

luckyLloyd that 19 million looked like it was based figure
    and then a potential £1.3 million in performance based compensation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Reports say £19m with a further £1.3m of potential add-ons which wouldn't have been activated. Apparantly Liverpool only paid Spurs £5m since he joined them so maybe they literally cut their losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

luckyLloyd that 19 million looked like it was based figure
    and then a potential £1.3 million in performance based compensation

Thought the 1.3 went purely to charity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

As a neutral I was actually hoping Liverpool would win the Premiership this year. That is until I saw the way Benitez (cabron) and Liverpool treated Robbie Keane. How many strikers have gone to a top club and been an instant success? Robbie Keane is Ireland's leading goalscorer and will give a club a guaranteed 10-20 goals a season. I hope Liverpool get the season they deserve!

Neutral supporter here too + I fully agree with the above.

Benitez is a clown!

To be a striker at one of the best teams in the world, you have to be one of the best strikers in the world. Keane is not one of those. How many chances, clear cut chances did he miss? Too many, way way too many. It's really that simple, he had plenty of oppertunities to score at Liverpool, most of the time, he fluffed it. He is a good player, in the 6 months he was there he always tried his best, but he was just not of the standard Liverpool needed him to be.

He was treated disgracefully by Benitez. He never got a proper run in the team. And, even when he did score, he was taken off. Look at Berbatov at United, he took time to settle in.

I think that this decision will come back to bite Liverpool - they might well find themselves short of options up front towards the end of the season.

this is going to be good :pac:

im going to get some popcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

As an Irish Manchester United fan, I'm more than happy with Robbie's move back to Spurs. I think, as has been intimated by some posters before me - Liverpool have lost a very good striker. I think it's rubbish to say he didn't produce the goods for Liverpool in his time there as he wasn't ever given a sustained run in the team and was never treated like a valuable asset to the club.

Contrast this to Ferguson's treatment of Berbatov. He didn't set the world alight in his first 3/4 months at the club. The difference is that SAF persevered with Berba, made him feel valued (quotes in the media, not hauling him off every game he started, leaving him out of match squads etc.) It's only now that he is really starting to hit the form we all know he is capable of. I think Benitez has messed this one up. He's now short of cover up front, and has lost a player with proven premiership calibre. This will do nothing but hinder any challenge Liverpool have left in them for the title IMO.

With my Irish supporter hat on - great news. Robbie is now back at a club he will get game time and most likely start scoring goals again on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Guys, if Liverpool win the league, does Keane still get a winners medal?

Imagine winning a Premiership medal and being relegated in the same season :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Imagine winning a Premiership medal and being relegated in the same season

lmao,thats benitez managment for ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

He played some shíte football, but then, was never given the chance.

Reminds me of Diego Forlan actually, talented but misused.

Robbie Keane is a good player. He's got decent finishing, he's a decent finished and a positive influence on the pitch. Like a lot of poachers he's seen the enthusiasm for such skills waning, with a greater need to engage with the game in terms of passing and linking play.

He was signed by a club who in reality didn't need him. He wasn't a bad signing per se, but the obvious problem is that the manager would have rather had someone else. That's been made blatantly obvious.

Benitez is a good manager, with an ego. He's still apparently in a píssing contest with his bosses, and I can only hope this destabilises Liverpool's season.

As a postscript, I'd like to mention that I'm disappointed in Keane's ambition. I really think he should have battled out the last season. He would have gotten game time, and if he'd been able to weigh in with a few crucial goals, then he could have left with his head held high, and an enhanced reputation. It's sad to see that when a big fish leaves his small pond he'd rather run back to the small pond than try and find himself a place in a more challenging environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

He would have gotten game time

well its hard to see him getting game time is he is not in the 1st team squad and behind david ngog in the pecking order.

Liverpool treated him like pi$$, and I hope he scores 30 goals between now and the end of the season with spurs, it wont happen but would be nice if it did..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

besty wrote: »
    As an Irish Manchester United fan, I'm more than happy with Robbie's move back to Spurs. I think, as has been intimated by some posters before me - Liverpool have lost a very good striker. I think it's rubbish to say he didn't produce the goods for Liverpool in his time there as he wasn't ever given a sustained run in the team and was never treated like a valuable asset to the club.

Contrast this to Ferguson's treatment of Berbatov. He didn't set the world alight in his first 3/4 months at the club. The difference is that SAF persevered with Berba, made him feel valued (quotes in the media, not hauling him off every game he started, leaving him out of match squads etc.) It's only now that he is really starting to hit the form we all know he is capable of. I think Benitez has messed this one up. He's now short of cover up front, and has lost a player with proven premiership calibre. This will do nothing but hinder any challenge Liverpool have left in them for the title IMO.

With my Irish supporter hat on - great news. Robbie is now back at a club he will get game time and most likely start scoring goals again on a consistent basis.

Wait so you're saying if he was treated as well as Berbatov he would of scored as many goals?

Keane played ****e football, mainly because he is ****e football player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wait so you're saying if he was treated as well as Berbatov he would of scored as many goals?

Over 100 Premier League goals, his country's all-time leading goalscorer, the only man in Spurs history to be named their Player of the Season 3 times.

Yeah he's a pile of crap alright. :rolleyes:

You're smart. Please post more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thats a bit unfair on him. Did he do something to you at some stage in his life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

ziggy wrote: »

I agree with you about the right fit for Benitez's style of play, but to say he wasn't good enough???? Who's better than him in his position? Don't say torres because they are two different types of players.
    I am disappointed by Keane and the way he hasnt had the heart to stay and fight.

If Keane really wanted to stay at the club, then he could have turned down the Spurs offer and tried to stick it out until the end of the season.

He was never given a chance. Would you bother trying harder when it's blatantly obvious that no matter how hard you work in training, you are never going to be given the change to play by your manager... Not even get a place on the bench!
    If everyone remembers back to when Torres signed last season. He wasnt playing week in week out, but has had a greater impact to the club when he played during that time. Keane didnt - in a similar playing role.

I don't remember Torres being left out of the squad or being brought on with 5 mins to go. Torres suited perfectly how Liverpool play, Keane never did. There's no comparison.

He had chances under serious pressure. Take a look again at United, Andy Cole, Berbatov all given the chance to prove themselves and after a lot of time and support, they showed their true talent.

Keane was never an all and our striker - so he shouldn't be judged on the amount of goals he has scored. He's a better player than just sitting in front of a goal tapping them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

finbarrk wrote: »
    Thats a bit unfair on him. Did he do something to you at some stage in his life?

Keane probaly scored a goal that ****'d up a bet for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

He is a good player, in the 6 months he was there he always tried his best, but he was just not of the standard Liverpool needed him to be.

Yeah because Ryan Babel, Andrea Dossena, Lucas Leiva and Pepe Reina are all top notch and of a higher "standard" than Keane, top scorer for his country and a scorer in WC2002.

I don't think he's Kaka' or Messi but not to have been given a chance is disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah because Ryan Babel, Andrea Dossena, Lucas Leiva and Pepe Reina are all top notch and of a higher "standard" than Keane, top scorer for his country and a scorer in WC2002.

Salif Diao also scored in that WC....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I don't think he's Kaka' or Messi but not to have been given a chance is disappointing.

I don't think putting Pepe Reina in that bracket is very realistic or fair. Keane - Square peg round hole, end of.

The same people on who've been saying Keane is crap & not worth 20mill & then when Liverpool sell him they have made the biggest mistake in the world

The same people on who've been saying Keane is crap & not worth 20mill & then when Liverpool sell him they have made the biggest mistake in the world

I don't think he was ever worth 20 mill but at the same time selling a player you bought for 20 million for less than that, after only 6 months, without buying a replacement, and when your star striker has struggled all season with injury, is questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Plenty of rumours on the LFC forums as to why he really left...

Whatever way you like at it he was treated like shoite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

He will probably be on the late late this Friday to face another pathetic interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

He will probably be on the late late this Friday to face another pathetic interview.
    No chance. His bank manager is bringing him out on the lash to thank him for all the business hes put his way over the last 6 months :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Sizzler wrote: »
    Plenty of rumours on the LFC forums as to why he really left...
    What's being said?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Thats seems to be the case for most people... If he stayed and played another 20- 30 games people would still give out about something:rolleyes:

We recouped the majority of his transfer and now he'll be getting more games and less stick no matter how badly he plays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

He's crackin up, he's crackin up, he's crackin, rafa's crackin up:)

Seriouly though, as a Neutral, Keane looked poor at the start, (allowed, he was settling in).Against Everton at Goodison, he had a great game I thought. Then he starts putting the ball away, then he's dropped! He probably thought then, 'what the hell happened? I'm finally finding my feet, and I'm dropped.' He's been treated abysmally. He was neither a success nor a failure, he was a non entity. Benitez is dragging what was once a great club through the mud IMO. Someone mentioned ego earlier, I think thats the nail on the head. Between the manager and the owners, I'd be worried about LFC.

As for Robbie, I hope he's not too deflated, knuckles down, and shows Benitez what a f***in eejit he is!

So you'd have Gerrard up front then behind Torres??????
    Gerrard and Keane again are two tottaly different players. I think you'd agree that it would be a waste if Gerrard was to play up front.....

I think it's becoming clearer everyday that Benitez didn't buy Keane. If he did, it brings his compentency as a manager up for question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

JimiTime wrote: »
    He's crackin up, he's crackin up, he's crackin, rafa's crackin up:)

Seriouly though, as a Neutral, Keane looked poor at the start, (allowed, he was settling in).Against Everton at Goodison, he had a great game I thought. Then he starts putting the ball away, then he's dropped! He probably thought then, 'what the hell happened? I'm finally finding my feet, and I'm dropped.' He's been treated abysmally. He was neither a success nor a failure, he was a non entity. Benitez is dragging what was once a great club through the mud IMO. Someone mentioned ego earlier, I think thats the nail on the head. Between the manager and the owners, I'd be worried about LFC.

As for Robbie, I hope he's not too deflated, knuckles down, and shows Benitez what a f***in eejit he is!

At the end of the day it's whats done on the pitch that matters. They're in second place and in with a realistic chance of winning the title. So to be fair it's progress whether the fans like the way it's being done or not.

So Torres as a lone striker??
    Keane could easily have been the link up with Gerrard betwwen midfeild and upfront.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Has he gone back to Spurs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

JP Liz wrote: »
    Has he gone back to Spurs?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

tok9 wrote: »
    We recouped the majority of his transfer and now he'll be getting more games and less stick no matter how badly he plays!

Bought for 19 million, sold for 12 million, is the majority, but put another way it is a 7 million pound loss. For a club in financial trouble that ain't peanutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't think he's Kaka' or Messi

His spell at Liverpool could well be described as kaka and messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I think it's ridiculous that people are justifying getting rid of Robbie Keane after a few months with the excuse that 'he isn't as good as Torres'. Every top top team has a player like Torres, they are the irreplaceable players, nobody in world football has a squad deep enough to have two strikers of the quality of Torres in their ranks.

However, the top teams do have players who are capable of filling in for their star player, of course the team won't be as strong, but it's as strong as possible without having a team of Galacticos. Look at Real, they have players like Higuain/ Huntelaar to replace Van Nistelrooy/ Raul. Barca have Bojan/Gudjohnsen/ Hleb as fringe players, Man United have the likes of Fletcher/ O Shea. None of these replacements are unbelievable players (some may be unbelievable prospects, but that's a different story).

The bottom line is, Liverpool have d*cked Robbie around, and in selling him they have severely weakened their squad in a key area, an area where their leading striker could quite easily get injured and potentially cost the team silverware. I don't agree with the move at all, but hey, Benitez knows more than me about football and his own squad, so I'm sure he had just reasons to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Boggles wrote: »
    Bought for 19 million, sold for 12 million, is the majority, but put another way it is a 7 million pound loss. For a club in financial trouble that ain't peanutes.

plus wages and signing on fees and a possible golden handshake as Robbie didn't request a transfer.

Regardless, Robbie didn't play to the best of his ability and didn't fit into the managers plans. The only thing I find odd about it is the timing, as even if he did not fit into Rafa's plans I feel he should have been kept to the end of the season as there are a lot of games left to be played and I don't think they'd have had to settle for less than 12million in the summer. But, he is gone now, and in all truth that is probably best for the player himself, and for Ireland, and for United and Chelsea, and probably good for liverpools finances which are apparently very stretched at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement