Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Boggles wrote: »
    Bought for 19 million, sold for 12 million, is the majority, but put another way it is a 7 million pound loss. For a club in financial trouble that ain't peanutes.

£12M with clasues that will bring it up to £15 so it was a £5M 6 months loan deal also means he is off the wage book too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

£12M with clasues that will bring it up to £15 so it was a £5M 6 months loan deal also means he is off the wage book too.

What are the clauses? Avoid relegation with Spurs fair enough there is a good chance of seeing the return, Qualify for the Champions League not so confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

twice the price of Tevez:eek::eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What are the clauses? Avoid relegation with Spurs fair enough there is a good chance of seeing the return, Qualify for the Champions League not so confident.

Did i see the contract no, so i dont know what the clauses are i am just going by what Sky said yesterday.

Did i see the contract no, so i dont know what the clauses are i am just going by what Sky said yesterday.

Oh Right, I'll stop there so. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Disgraceful behavior by Rafa here.

He either had Robbie bought without his consent and then hypocritically sat silent for months when he should have quit. He then proceeded to take all that crap out on Keane.

OR
    He bought Robbie himself and now somehow decided he can't make him work but somehow can make Babel, N'Gog or Lucas work. In which case he has just wasted the club a small fortune.

We can argue about Keane's performances all we want, he made a much larger impact than some of the absolute muck sitting on Anfield's bench week-in week-out.

eZe^ wrote: »
    The bottom line is, Liverpool have d*cked Robbie around, and in selling him they have severely weakened their squad in a key area, an area where their leading striker could quite easily get injured and potentially cost the team silverware. I don't agree with the move at all, but hey, Benitez knows more than me about football and his own squad, so I'm sure he had just reasons to do so.

Not only have they weakened there squad, they did it at a time that the 5 teams around them have strengthened theirs.

Quite baffling actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Not only have they weakened there squad, they did it at a time that the 5 teams around them have strengthened theirs.

Quite baffling actually.

The other thing is. Bar Robbie Keane (if he had stayed), I'd say Liverpool have the weakest bench of any of the European heavy weights. Could somebody post up a full strength pool XI and then their no.1 bench players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

noodler wrote: »
    We can argue about Keane's performances all we want, he made a much larger impact than some of the absolute muck sitting on Anfield's bench week-in week-out.

green tinted specs off Noodler.

He made the same impact as Voronin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The other thing is. Bar Robbie Keane (if he had stayed), I'd say Liverpool have the weakest bench of any of the European heavy weights. Could somebody post up a full strength pool XI and then their no.1 bench players.

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carragher--Skrtel--Aurelio
    Alonso---- Mascherano----
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera
    Torres

Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Agger, Leiva Lucas, Babel, Benayoun, Ngog.

I think Liverpool fans have a difference of opinion on the back four. But above would be their first choice in every other department I would say.

I don't think they have any major injuries weakening that side at the moment.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Where's Voronin? :p

I imagine the Chelsea game would be a good indicator.

Reina,
    Arbeloa Carragher Skrtel Aurelio
    Alonso Mascherano
    Kuyt Gerrard Riera
    Torres

Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Agger, Leiva Lucas, Babel, Benayoun, Ngog.

I think Liverpool fans have a difference of opinion on the back four. But above would be their first choice in every other department I would say.

Ok, thanks mate;

Cavalieri - never heard of him, assuming he's the reserve keeper.
    Dossena - I think he has been absolute cack realistically.
    Agger - I've alot of time for Agger, still, he's adds defensive depth, not a game changer.
    Lucas - I think in 2/3 years time when Rafa learns how to properly implement Lucas then he'll be a real good midfielder.
    Babel - Disappointed me immensely, thought he was one of the best young prospects in the world, and this season was the one where he'd turn it all around. No dice so far though.
    Benayoun - a handy squad player to have, potentially a game changer in some circumstances.
    Ngog - meh.

I don't feel Liverpool could afford to let go of Keane without taking a step backwards being honest, but then as I said previously, I'm not Rafa, he may have a perfectly rational reason for doing so.

I said it in the Liverpool thread, but for a small investment a couple of weeks ago, they would have got Heskey in, he would have brought the best out in Keane, not only that you would have a couple of weapons on the bench.

They could have even taken a punt on got Mido on loan.

Where's Voronin? :p

EDIT: question moved to LFC thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

this is off topic big style lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Bought for 19 million, sold for 12 million, is the majority, but put another way it is a 7 million pound loss. For a club in financial trouble that ain't peanutes.

it's 12 million (plus clauses) more then what we had.... Does anyone actually know the deal.. i thought it was 15 million? They most be very likely clauses or maybe it's just in installments.

Yes liverpool have weakened there squad but he was barely used of late so even if torres was injured keane prob wouldn't have started!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In fairness to Al, he doesn't own green tinted specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Correct me if i'm wrong but Keane was starting most games when torres was injured.

Des wrote: »
    In fairness to Al, he doesn't own green tinted specs.

which al. mightily confusing.

tok9 wrote: »
    it's 12 million (plus clauses) more then what we had.... Does anyone actually know the deal.. i thought it was 15 million? They most be very likely clauses or maybe it's just in installments.

So what is the arguement, it was good business because that money will have gained interest by the summer? 12 million even with interest wouldn't even get you Bellamy, it would barely get you Babel.

Not really. Either Rafa bought and ruined another decent player (proving how bad his man-management skills are yet again) or he didn't buy him but didn't have the moral authority of Curbs or Keegan and just sat there ruining some lads career to spite the board/Parry.

Keane started a good few games when Torres was out, thats true, it means he also had to either play up front on his own, play up front with the likes of Kuyt or even play left bloody wing (Villa game). Despite all the times he was played out of position, despite all the times he didn't get to play with Torres he still got 7 goals and a good few assists.

Yet, for the past two months, when we have had nothing but a half-fit Torres starting, Rafa saw fit to either bench or completely leave Keane out of the squad.

Keane better than Babel? In a Liverpool shirt defo. Better than N'Gog? Lucas when you need a goal? Kuyt when you need a goal?

Either Rafa is losing it or he was taking it out on Keane. Very unprofessional.

• Advertisement

According to the Echo (the most reliable for Liverpool related stories), the deal for Keane was 16m.

rafa also said this:
    Rafa wrote:
    ""Sometimes good players cannot settle down in the team and when this happens you have to consider the situation and try to react quickly."

interview with him to follow later.

According to the Echo (the paper that suits by beloved Rafa the best), the deal for Keane was 16m.

Fixed that for you Al. ;)

Keane better than Babel?much the same tbh. Better than N'Gog?remains to be seen,i've been impressed with Ngog & he is youngLucas when you need a goal?Lucas is a midfielder?!wtf is the relevenceKuyt when you need a goal?one of them has scored important goals when Liverpool needed them most - with great regularity, and it aint Keane

As i said noodler, green tinted specs off please.

You're the same man who despite our league position, said Rafa lost it when he sold Finnan & said Arbeloa has never had a decent game for Liverpool.

Me has a feeling the green tinted specs are welded onto your mallet.

Oh my Alan, that may be your most blatant attempt at a "sweep it under the carpet for Rafa" post. Arbeloa has been fairly average, I prefer a fullback who can cross. However time has vindicated Rafa regarding the Finnan sale since the boy can't stay fit-obviously a fit average fullback is better than a good injured one.

Keane and Babel have made the same contribution for Liverpool have they? Hasn't Babel only got two goals? Hasn't he been the most anonymous player fans have seen in a red shirt for years? Okay he is young but it is his second season now and 12m is alot of money for potential.

Regarding Lucas....duuurrr Alan.....duurrrr......Were you under a rock when he was bringing Lucas on in games in which we desperately needed a goal whilst Keane rotted on the bench?

N'Gog....I am not even going to dignify your childish response to that comparison.

Keane goals got us points against West Brom, Arsenal, Bolton and Athletico. Who are you saying has scored regularly for Liverpool this season here bar Gerrard and, the up until Sunday disappointing, Torres (nobody wants to hear that though).

I made several points when we were top of the league regarding our lack of creativity when we were drawing too many games. Too many fans like yourself were content to say "ah well were still top". Which is fine, but then the same phrase was rinsed and repeated for the next subsequent bore draw, and the next and so on until Utd were 2 points ahead, with a game in hand and still to play us at OT.

Get your head out of our manager's arse! He finds it much harder to manage that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Keane's sale is a big loss and they will feel it in the champs league (went to get tickets this morning to the Real v Pool game but left the stadium empty handed when told €420 for two tickets. I aint paying that to watch two teams I dont support! ). Rafa is a bloody fool and the sooner Pool fans except it the better. I dont like Keane but even I cannot see the logic behind the sale without a replacement. Also why was it done so late if it was obvious to Rafa he had his mind made up ? He could have been sold much sooner and a replacement brought in. Rafa has seriously fuvked up Pools chances of silverware this season without doubt. If I was a pool fan I would be calling for his head come May when no silverware arrives. Rafa the enigma, the most ludicrous decision maker in the premiership. As regards Rafas ongoing feud with the yanks take note, The yanks did not pay hundreds of millions of pounds to be dictated to by you Rafa !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Oh my Alan, that may be your most blatant attempt at a "sweep it under the carpet for Rafa" post. Arbeloa has been fairly average, I prefer a fullback who can cross. However time has vindicated Rafa regarding the Finnan sale since the boy can't stay fit-obviously a fit average fullback is better than a good injured one.

Keane and Babel have made the same contribution for Liverpool have they? Hasn't Babel only got two goals? Hasn't he been the most anonymous player fans have seen in a red shirt for years? Okay he is young but it is his second season now and 12m is alot of money for potential.

Regarding Lucas....duuurrr Alan.....duurrrr......Were you under a rock when he was bringing Lucas on in games in which we desperately needed a goal whilst Keane rotted on the bench?

N'Gog....I am not even going to dignify your childish response to that comparison.

Keane goals got us points against West Brom, Arsenal, Bolton and Athletico. Who are you saying has scored regularly for Liverpool this season here bar Gerrard and, the up until Sunday disappointing, Torres (nobody wants to hear that though).

I made several points when we were top of the league regarding our lack of creativity when we were drawing too many games. Too many fans like yourself were content to say "ah well were still top". Which is fine, but then the same phrase was rinsed and repeated for the next subsequent bore draw, and the next and so on until Utd were 2 points ahead, with a game in hand and still to play us at OT.

Get your head out of our manager's arse! He finds it much harder to manage that way!

+1 for nearly all of the above.

I'm no fan of Robbie Keane - no matter what jersey he wears, but his treatment was disgraceful. How can you leave him out of the side completely and include Ngog who has absolutely no form of pedigree in the Premiership, when you are struggling to score goals to turn those draws into wins?

How can you just banish a player to the bench, and then the stands after scoring 3 in 2? Surely when he's in the side and beginning to score goals all logic says you should keep him in the side as his confidence grows. Why would you leave him on the bench against Hull when you need a goal and choose to bring on Lucas?

Ngog, completely unproven on the bench ahead of Keane? I'd just love to see someone justify that one. Why would you wait until the last day of the window to get rid of a player you clearly don't want and leave absolutely no time to get a replacement?

It's easy as a United fan to criticise Liverpool, but poor old Rafa always makes it way too easy! There are loads of questions, but no logical answers. However, it should make for a good comedy show for Mr. Alan to come up with some answers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    +1 for nearly all of the above.

I'm no fan of Robbie Keane - no matter what jersey he wears, but his treatment was disgraceful. How can you leave him out of the side completely and include Ngog who has absolutely no form of pedigree in the Premiership, when you are struggling to score goals to turn those draws into wins?

How can you just banish a player to the bench, and then the stands after scoring 3 in 2? Surely when he's in the side and beginning to score goals all logic says you should keep him in the side as his confidence grows. Why would you leave him on the bench against Hull when you need a goal and choose to bring on Lucas?

Ngog, completely unproven on the bench ahead of Keane?

I think it's pretty clear this was an indication that the player was to be sold. If he was in the long term interest's of the club then no way would N'Gog have been in ahead of him.

It was pre-meditated to get the ball rolling for a transfer 7 Spurs duly obliged. I don't see that there's an issue here. Everyone know's he would rate N'gog an unproven french youngster over Keane who has scored over 100 EPL goals

Shoulda bought Alves when ye had the chance tbh.

Keane and Babel have made the same contribution for Liverpool have they? Hasn't Babel only got two goals? Hasn't he been the most anonymous player fans have seen in a red shirt for years? Okay he is young but it is his second season now and 12m is alot of money for potential.!

Babel has had a lot less playing time than Keane I'd imagine. he is also younger & we didnt have a 16m offer for him.

noticing you left out the most relevant player, Kuyt, this is the man who will fill in for where Keane did-torres back up, probably left him out cause he has scored this season & he has won us points this season....but it wouldnt suit your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭harmankardon

now now Alan,we've spoken about this before,its time you got back in your box!

• Advertisement

you know i'm right Paul, read Rafas interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

You know what the real funny thing is...the exact same people who where on here only a couple of months ago saying how Keane was "a donkey who runs around with his head down" are now saying it's a crazy decision by Rafa to let him go.:rolleyes:

Highsider wrote: »
    You know what the real funny thing is...

Not as funny as going into the arse end of 3 competitions with just one injury prone striker...Now that is hilarious!

Agreed, especially considering the amount of stick Chelsea have been given considering they only have Anelka and Drogba upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Highsider wrote: »
    You know what the real funny thing is...the exact same people who where on here only a couple of months ago saying how Keane was "a donkey who runs around with his head down" are now saying it's a crazy decision by Rafa to let him go.:rolleyes:
    And similarly the exact same Liverpool fans who were on here only a couple of months ago saying how Keane "was doing alright, he'll be much better when he plays alongside a fit Torres" are now saying he was shit and it was a masterstroke by Rafa.

Oh forgot to mention yer top goal scorer might be going to prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Oh forgot to mention yer top goal scorer might be going to prison.

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Not as funny as going into the arse end of 3 competitions with just one injury prone striker...Now that is hilarious!
    I see what you did there. Well done to you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭harmankardon

al its a joke, you know it,i know it,rafa knows it,anyone on here who knows anything knows it.

good article here

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/keane-never-learnt-torres-language-1625028.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

In the long-term this is the best thing for all concerned but the timing of it shows the serious problems off the field at Liverpool imo.

With your side challenging and some would say struggling with fitness and players it doesn't make a lot of sense to sell a player that can win games for you. Now granted I'm not Keanes biggest fan, and I didn't think he was the right player for Liverpool in the first place, but he is still capable of winning a game for a team.

To get rid of him is one thing, as long as you have someone else who can do the same or better for the rest of the year. Unfortunately for Liverpool I just don't see where that's going to come from, maybe if Babel and/or Kuyt significantly lifted their performances they might make up the gap but it's unlikely.

To me it's a similar situation to the summer with the Barry/Alonso saga, Benitez wanted Barry but didn't sell Alonso until the deal went through. As a result he has Alonso still pulling the strings and having a fantastic season, where would Liverpool be if Alonso had been sold without Barry coming in?

That's where they are for the rest of the season, can see them dropping off badly in the league now.

Iago wrote: »
    To get rid of him is one thing, as long as you have someone else who can do the same or better for the rest of the year. Unfortunately for Liverpool I just don't see where that's going to come from, maybe if Babel and/or Kuyt significantly lifted their performances they might make up the gap but it's unlikely.

Kuyt doesnt need to improve his performances to do the same as Keane did. They are both equally average up front on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

al its a joke, you know it,i know it,rafa knows it,anyone on here who knows anything knows it.

good article here

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/keane-never-learnt-torres-language-1625028.html

What's a joke??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Kuyt doesnt need to improve his performances to do the same as Keane did. They are both equally average up front on their own.

Alan, I have noticed you have made this statement a number of times. I have replied a few times but you have not taken any notice of my reply. They are not equally average up front. As bad as Keane was, he was still much better than Kuyt (when played as a striker).
    Kuyt 06/07 - 48 appearances 14 goals (goal every 3.5 games) played the whole season as a striker
    Kuyt 07/08 - 48 appearances 11 goals (goal every 4.3 games) played around 50-60% of the season as a striker

I wont include this years stats as he has played the majority of games as a RWF. But Kuyt has not scored a SINGLE goal this sesason when played as a striker. The best comparison is probably Keane of this year and Kuyt of last year, as they both played a similar amount of time as strikers in the league. Kuyt scored 1 goal from open play, Keane scored 5 or 6.

Keane never found his form at Liverpool, but he has proven time and time again to be a quality premier league striker. This is something Kuyt has never done.

i have noticed your reply Tusky. You quoted Keanes scoring record for us this year & you quoted Kuyts for us when he has played up top.

Kuyt has played up front very little this year so i dont really see the relevance.

Plus stats can be made to tell watever tale the person posting them wants.

Voronin for example has virtually identical stats to Keane last year, so we can always call him back if we want :)

i have noticed your reply Tusky. You quoted Keanes scoring record for us this year & you quoted Kuyts for us when he has played up top.

Kuyt has played up front very little this year so i dont really see the relevance.

Voronin for example has virtually identical stats to Keane last year, so we can always call him back if we want :)

Nope - it was Keane this year v Kuyt of last year, as they played a similar amount of time in the same position. Actually, you could even compare Keane of this year to Kuyt in a striker role for Liverpool over the last 3 seasons, and Keane would still come out on top. Kuyt simply doesnt score enough goals to play there.

• Advertisement

regardless of what the stats say, it is a stupid decision to sell one of your top striker on the last day of the transfer window, with no replacement coming in when your other options to play alongside Torres (or replace him if he gets injured/suspended) are all forwards who are worse than Keane as forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can you not also all agree that repeating the same thing over and over is also quite stupid?

regardless of what the stats say, it is a stupid decision to sell one of your top striker on the last day of the transfer window, with no replacement coming in when your other options to play alongside Torres (or replace him if he gets injured/suspended) are all forwards who are worse than Keane as forwards.

I think it was a stupid decision to buy him in the first place as the Torres/Gerrard combo is perfect...but that wasnt what my point was about. My issue was with people saying that Keane up front is the same as Kuyt up front. Its simply not. Would Kuyt have scored the goal that Keane did against Arsenal ? Definitely not.

What I want to know is, will Rafa have the 16m from this sale + his summer money to spend ? Or is that money not gonna be available at all again ?

Can you not also all agree that repeating the same thing over and over is also quite stupid?
    regarless of how you feel about people expressing themselves in this thread, it is a stupid decision to sell one of your top striker on the last day of the transfer window, with no replacement coming in when your other options to play alongside Torres (or replace him if he gets injured/suspended) are all forwards who are worse than Keane as forwards.

Tusky wrote: »
    I think it was a stupid decision to buy him in the first place as the Torres/Gerrard combo is perfect...but that wasnt what my point was about. My issue was with people saying that Keane up front is the same as Kuyt up front. Its simply not. Would Kuyt have scored the goal that Keane did against Arsenal ? Definitely not.

What I want to know is, will Rafa have the 16m from this sale + his summer money to spend ? Or is that money not gonna be available at all again ?

well yeah - but i was replingy to Al:p

Personally, I feel the club cashed in on Keane cause of the financial pressure on the club right now. Unless there is a change in ownership or new investment, I don't think that 16million will be available, not unless another substantial loan is taken out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement