Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you support your team?

• 25-01-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

seen this on a city forum, basically what made you support your team?

mainly because my father does and the first match i ever went to was city v shamrock rovers at tolka park, cant remember who won though.

whos next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Because they're my home town team (Pats). Any other reason is boll0cks in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

I must've been around 5 as it was around 1990, anyway I saw Ron Atkinson addressing what must've been an Irish crowd, declaring that the majority of them jumped on the villa bandwagon simply because we had sign Paul McGrath

I decided that night to join the bandwagon myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I support Shelbourne because they were the nearest LoI team to where I grew up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

my dad is from manchester and is from a massive football family. my mam moved over there in the late 60's and early 70's. they met, got married and lived there for a few years. they decided to move to dublin and i was born there. i spend summer after summer over there, bout 15 mins walk from the ground.

i can remember my dad taking us over to games when we were 5 and 6 and listening to away games on 5live in the early 90's being all excited that my dad was at it.:):)

so im divided - support shels as i live bout 15 mins walk from the ground and im a sucker for watching live games. me dad is too, but he doesnt go to tolka that often. i go to maybe 50% of shels game, normally im in manchester for the rest, i generally drive over with the old lad and me younger brother and stay with me uncle. he goes to about 20-25 games a season, i try hit 15-20. have been flying alot more recently as flights have been cheaper this year for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Shels because it's the first club I was properly exposed to.

And Watford because my Dad's from there and was a season ticket holder for 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

bigstar wrote: »
    because my father does

Ditto.

Best reason to support a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Because they were the first ever professional team from Liverpool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Athlone Town, because its where im from.

A.C. Milan, er, i was 6, they played amazing football, hated watching the english league because it was SH!TE at the time (still horrible crap to watch IMHO).

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Liverpool because some lad in my class supported Liverpool.

Galway United because they're my local team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Cos they are my local team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

During the World Cup in Italia 90, I was a little guy and being swept up in the euphoria of it all I asked my Dad what was his favourite team. He said Arsenal and I fell in love with the name and they have always been my team since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Let me try speak on behalf of a few people who won't admit:

Liverpool: I'm over 30 and they won all the time in the 70s and 80s

Man Utd: I'm under 30 and they've won all the time since the 90s

Anyone who tries to offer any other reason is talking through their ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Shelbourne cause there my local team. They are also quite sound too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Harps because theyre the only LOI team in Donegal and United because my dad raised me to support them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Neil3030 wrote: »

I'm 39 and Man Utd , your reason please :D

Or
    was i just born with good taste ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    IQ 39 and Man Utd , your reason please :D

Or

FYP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was a Finn Harps fan for years, even though I lived in Dublin as a young kid. I got to see them play regularly as my dad would bring me to games, I met Hilary Carlyle, Con McLoughlin and Brendan Bradley many times and was in awe of them as footballers expecially Carlyle.

I followed the English league too but was never really a fan of any one team. As time went by I became more interested in the English league and kind of liked Man Utd becasue they had a lot of good Irish players. but then they got rid of McGrath and Kevin Moran, my two favourite players at the time.

I followed Kevin Morans career after that and I met him a couple of times, I had moved from Dublin with my family in the late 70's and while I still got to LOI games, my interest had waned a bit and the loss of glenmalure park really disgusted me and put me completely off LOI football.

Kevin played for Sporting Gijon for a couple of years and then joined Blackburn, I became interested in Blackburn as soon as he joined and started supporting the club to a certain extent, it was basically grabbing the paper on a Sunday morning to see if he played and how they did, they almost got relegated. I wanted to see Kevin Moran back in Division 1(PL now) and the next season everything changed. Don Mackay was sacked early in the season and Kenny Dalglish(shock to everyone) took over. My interest in the club became very serious then as I watched them climb the table and make the playoffs. I was elated when they beat Leicester to gain promotion in the playoff final. From then on, it was always Blackburn for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Because I am a gluten for punishment.

Ah no, around '92 I was at that impressionable age of 6. When those around me we're blindly following United, with no real reason other than the fantastic marketing and branding, I decided to go for something different. Newcastle we're a team that we're setting the old second division a light and I fancied what I saw. Never looked back, and wouldn't change it for the world, despite the horrible lows I have endured through supporting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shelbourne, got supporting them through my Dad. Although they aren't my local team, they were my Dad's (when he moved to Dublin), he brought me to matches but over the past few seasons he's been unable to go to matches but well I ain't changing teams now. :D

Used to support Man Utd because my dad brought me up supporting them aswell, but I've drifted away from them over the last 5 years as I've gotten to know the joys and horrors of actually having a football team that you revolve your life around, and is much more than a team to me, more like a family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Seaneh wrote: »
    Athlone Town, because its where im from.

A.C. Milan, er, i was 6, they played amazing football, hated watching the english league because it was SH!TE at the time (still horrible crap to watch IMHO).

Did you see the famous Athlone Town v AC Milan game at St. Mels that finished 0-0? Heard athlone missed a peno too. Can't picture that happening now:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The family all support United, so it was quite natural that I should do likewise.

I've no reason to suddenly pick a different team, and I enjoy watching United, so I continue to support them.

I'm not one of the people who takes football very seriously... It's a sport, and vesting emotion in a team makes it all the more interesting and satisfying to follow. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Liverpool always seemed like the best way to channel the energy of my lifelong hatred of Man U :)

And meh, a cousin and a mate ordered me to like them and all :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cos they were the best team in England at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cos they were the best team in England at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

coz my cousin was a trainee

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Can we not turn this into a LOI vs Premiership Thread version 168.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Des wrote: »
    great honesty.
    I approached the topic seriously and honestly the first twenty seven times it was posted :pac:
    Dub13 wrote:
    Why would that happen? Nobody cares about that parochial little league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Support Newcastle because there was a lad in my class in primary (2nd class) school who supported them.

It was the day after Newcastle beat United 5-0. I had watched the game. I was never mad into football but used to always look at the United results because my dad, though a Leeds fan, told me that United were good because they had good Irish players.

Anyway the day after that match I was in school and some of the lads were discussing the match in the usual schoolboy way while I was listening on not really taking an interest. Then one of the lads asked me who I support.... In order not to receive a taunting I said Newcastle and poof, here I am still supporting them.

Needless to say that the original lad who asked me who I support, now supports Chelsea.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Man Utd because my Dad hates them. What started as me wanting them to win so I could wind the oul lad up ended up just me wanting them to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    I'm 39 and Man Utd , your reason please :D

Or

Touché

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I support Cork City because their my local team. Only been supporting them for 4 years though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Quint wrote: »
    Did you see the famous Athlone Town v AC Milan game at St. Mels that finished 0-0? Heard athlone missed a peno too. Can't picture that happening now:D

That actually had some baring, my brothers were talking asbout the match during a milan napoli match on C4 around the time i started following them

Alas i am only 24, match was before my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Cork City.

Reason. Definately wasnt my father who still calls it the foreign game etc..

Just remember going along with a friend and brother.

Remember sheepishly scaling the steps of the Shed end. Remember feeling intimidated being up there with all the bad language etc.

Then we scored a goal to win in last 5 minutes (Morley...i think) and I ended up being thrown 10 steps down in the mosh of hysteria.

I was hooked.

I gradually left my Liverpool infatuation behind me for Sundays at the Cross.

Sometimes I wonder would my life be different now if we hadnt scored late that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I support Celtic because it means I can wear my jersey down the pub every Sunday afternoon as well as on St. Paddys day and when Ireland are in town. I'd goto the Shamrock Rovers games too but they haven't been in Europe for ages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i support liverpool because i dont know how to do football right.

gotta go now, this prawn sandwich is getting stale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I support Man Utd because it was good enough for my grandfather, my father and all seven of his brothers minus the one knob who supports Celtic:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City - As a young impressionable 4 and a half year old I watched highlights of the Manchester Derby on MOTD in September 1989. City dicked all over them 5-1 and I was hooked. Big Quinny playing for us helped sucker me in as he was Irish and all that.

Shels - Also in 1989 my da brought me to Tolka where we got spanked by Dundalk. I kept going back though, mainly for preseason friendlies as Leeds came over every year and the oul lad is a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Support Manchester United, well "follow" would be a better word to describe it. My Dad lived in Manchester for years, big Red man. My Uncles are blues.

Support Bohemians, moved to D15 3 years ago and I get myself to Dalymount and a few away games as much as I can.

Dub13 wrote: »

is it not v172? I count it as that anyways
    Neil3030 wrote: »

Good man, thats very intelligent that. Feel the better man after that?! Please don't try to speak on other peoples behalf. Sick of the LOI not getting recognition it deserves, but I'm also sick of comments like that... anyways its been goin on for too long its not gonna change.

I think its awful unfair to be at this craic again, smart remarks because people like\support\follow English or other clubs from different nations.Especially people who are from areas that dont have\had a top flight irish soccer close by, it was very easy to get caught up with it all.
    redout wrote: »
    I support Man Utd because it was good enough for my grandfather, my father and all seven of his brothers minus the one knob who supports Celtic:)

Ah here sums it up. I suppose my oul man is a simpleton cause he went to a few United games in the 70s, doesnt know better and neither do I for following suit? Actually dont answer that Im just making a point, theres enough of arguing and smart comments goin on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Quint wrote: »

I can picture Athlone missing a peno at any time :P

I support Athlone Town ... because they are my local team, my Grandfather and Father played for them, my brother played Youths and B for them and I had trials U14.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Shels- Because any of my LOI supporting friends support them- hence when I wanted to follow an Irish team they were the logicalk choice. Also they're the easiest to get to, and from Dublin.

VfB Stuttgart- A bit complicated. Lets just say it's kinda like a family tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Carrigaline United - Local team

if i had to pick a big side i would say Cork City but i am not into the watching prima donnas of the LOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Bohs because they represent where I grew up, and because they are a member club where using the word 'we' isn't an exercise in fantasy.

LoI out of disgust at the money machine that is globalised football.

Leeds out of regard for the band-wagoning kid who didn't want anything to do with Man U, and because Johnny Giles was a local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Because they're my home town team (Pats). Any other reason is boll0cks in my opinion

if you moved "town" would you switch teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

from Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Shamrock Rovers: brought up in Tallaght, an area with traditional hoops support, including my mates.

Man united: born in Manchester and lived there 'til we moved over to Dublin when was 11. Da supported them and brought me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

stovelid wrote: »
    Man united: born in Manchester

What? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pigman II wrote: »
    What? :eek:

It's true. They're not all City fans, despite the myth. :pac:

That said, my extended family are mostly City and I spent most of my childhood in Longsight, which was pretty close to Maine Road over in Moss side. My da swung it for me though. Funnily enough, he lost interest in 'sacair' years ago and is far more into Gah these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Man Utd, Think it was my father who started me on them, He showed a picture of me on my 4th birthday in 1988 wearing a utd jersey with a big utd poster on the wall behind me.

ntlbell wrote: »
    if you moved "town" would you switch teams?

Not switch teams, but when I lived in Sydney I went to nearly every home Sydney FC game in the season I was there (aways are a different story, travelling accross a continent was unfeasable for a backpacker).

I've always taken an interest in the local football team of towns I visit (Caermarthen Town for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol I always look out for Carmarthen after a summer holiday there in 1994. Great little caravan park they have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement