Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you support your team?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol I always look out for Carmarthen after a summer holiday there in 1994. Great little caravan park they have.

Had a mate in college over there myself.

Headed over a few times a year and took in a couple of games (2 I think, possibly three, they were always booze filled weekends, and sometimes they'd be playing away)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Des wrote: »
    Not switch teams, but when I lived in Sydney I went to nearly every home Sydney FC game in the season I was there (aways are a different story, travelling accross a continent was unfeasable for a backpacker).

I've always taken an interest in the local football team of towns I visit (Caermarthen Town for example).

Same here, although I was there before the time of the A-League so I used to travel out to Kogarah to see Sydney Olympic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Not switch teams, but when I lived in Sydney I went to nearly every home Sydney FC game in the season I was there (aways are a different story, travelling accross a continent was unfeasable for a backpacker).

I've always taken an interest in the local football team of towns I visit (Caermarthen Town for example).

so where you live currently makes no difference? which was his point? "any other reason is bollox" which you thanked.

Makes little or no sense really.

I played for tallaght town (now shamrock rovers) lived in tallaght but followed boh's as they were the first LOI team I went to see as a kid.

people have loads of different reasons for following various teams and confining it where you live doesn't make any sense if your going to keep switching everytime you move and if you don't switch and still support your old team then it doesn't make sense either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ntlbell wrote: »
    so where you live currently makes no difference? which was his point? "any other reason is bollox" which you thanked.

I played for tallaght town (now shamrock rovers) lived in tallaght but followed boh's as they were the first LOI team I went to see as a kid.

people have loads of different reasons for following various teams and confining it where you live doesn't make any sense if your going to keep switching everytime you move and if you don't switch and still support your old team then it doesn't make sense either.

What doesn't make sense?

Going to see live football in a place where you live?

Of course I will, I love the game. :rolleyes:

There is a difference between supporting a team and looking out for another teams results. I have no "second team", I think that is a preposterous concept, but I do hope Sydney win more games than, say, Perth Glory. I don't profess to be a supporter or anything like it.

I haven't switched teams.

I support Shelbourne

What doesn't make sense?

Going to see live football in a place where you live?

Of course I will, I love the game. :rolleyes:

There is a difference between supporting a team and looking out for another teams results. I have no "second team", I think that is a preposterous concept, but I do hope Sydney win more games than, say, Perth Glory. I don't profess to be a supporter or anything like it.

I haven't switched teams.

I support Shelbourne

No, the reason that only makes sense is your local team was his point.

which doesn't make sense what happens if you move?

does one change?

does one continue to "support" there old local town team but go to there new towns team matches etc?

you thanked so maybe you can explain why it's the only reason that makes sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I dont see what you are confused about. I support Rovers, but Ill be in France at the weekend. So Im going to see AS Cannes play at home. Does this mean im not a Rovers fan any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I went to the shops and bought a shiny magazine called Match (or Shoot) and opened it to reveal the free poster that was in it that week. It was of "Insert Premiership Team A" and since then I've been to watch them in the pub every week. Sometimes I even go to town to watch them in a bigger pub. But only if it's a big game. Ole

CiaranC wrote: »
    I dont see what you are confused about. I support Rovers, but Ill be in France at the weekend. So Im going to see AS Cannes play at home. Does this mean im not a Rovers fan any more?

No but say you move to france and plan to stay there for the next 10 or for the rest fo your life.

Do you stop suporrting rovers and "support" the local team?

or do you continue to "support" rovers but go to watch the local team out of interest etc? e.g. become a "fan" if so do you then support rovers and the new team and a fan of both? e.g. it becomes your second team?

i'm not talking about going on holidays and having a look at the local lads and having a hot dog and turning into a life long supporter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

No but say you move to france and plan to stay there for the next 10 or for the rest fo your life.

or do you continue to "support" rovers but go to watch the local team out of interest etc? e.g. become a "fan" if so do you then support rovers and the new team and a fan of both? e.g. it becomes your second team?

i'm not talking about going on holidays and having a look at the local lads and having a hot dog and turning into a life long supporter

What about people who enjoy live football and want to see that. They can't watch the team they supported from their old town so getting their fix of live football from their new local team is the next best thing.

It does'nt mean that team is officially their second team.

• Advertisement

What about people who enjoy live football and want to see that. They can't watch the team they supported from their old town so getting their fix of live football from their new local team is the next best thing.

It does'nt mean that team is officially their second team.

Of course, which is my point, the team been local is not the only worth while/good enough reason to "follow" "support" be a "fan" of

which was what nipple nuts was saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Norwich - Because I have sense or do I???

Waterford United - local

kensutz wrote: »
    Norwich - Because I have sense or do I???

Waterford United - local

it was robert fleck wasn't it..:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think you are using an edge case (where somebody grows up in Ireland supporting a local team, and emigrates forever, that is, never returns to Ireland) to make your point.

As for supporting Bohs, I would personally feel that supporting a team from your own city/town qualifies as local support, even if it's not the closest team to where you live. I know some of the others would disagree.

I see what you are getting at but, no, Id still be a Rovers fan. You support your local team because its where youre from.

If I lived in France for 10 years Id still be Irish. Its not as if you can just decide to change and become French. Same thing with your football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can remember my answer to this question over the years, but I actually can't remember starting to support them anymore. How weird is that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

Celtic of Glasgow because of their origin: a club set up to alleviate poverty and one open to all regardless of race, religion or nationality. (this all despite the few stupid fans who give the club a bad name).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    Celtic of Glasgow because of their origin: a club set up to alleviate poverty and one open to all regardless of race, religion or nationality. (this all despite the few stupid fans who give the club a bad name).

Is this really THE reason you started to support Celtic??

How are they getting on in their battle to alleviate Glaswegian poverty these days?

I see what you are getting at but, no, Id still be a Rovers fan. You support your local team because its where youre from.

If I lived in France for 10 years Id still be Irish. Its not as if you can just decide to change and become French. Same thing with your football team.

But your local team isn't always where your from. your local team is where you're currently living and if you really wanted to support your local team living in tallaght depending on where your from you would probably follow millmount tymon bawn newtown rangers etc etc ;)

stovelid wrote: »
    I think you are using an edge case (where somebody grows up in Ireland supporting a local team, and emigrates forever, that is, never returns to Ireland) to make your point.

As for supporting Bohs, I would personally feel that supporting a team from your own city/town qualifies as local support, even if it's not the closest team to where you live. I know some of the others would disagree.

Not really I mean if you're from waterford and follow waterford united but move and to cabra and live there for a few years does your "support" "following" "fanship" move to dalymount? if it doesn't what was so important about starting to follow the local team in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Let me try speak on behalf of a few people who won't admit:

Liverpool: I'm over 30 and they won all the time in the 70s and 80s

Man Utd: I'm under 30 and they've won all the time since the 90s

Anyone who tries to offer any other reason is talking through their ****.

Yes. The good auld band wagon supporters/trophy chasers.
    Ask any Man Utd fan (18-26)i'd say who was manager before Alex Ferguson. Ive got some funny answers.

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Yes. The good auld band wagon supporters/trophy chasers.
    Ask any Man Utd fan (18-26)i'd say who was manager before Alex Ferguson. Ive got some funny answers.

It works both ways.

some liverpool fans think John Barnes is an actor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It works both ways.

some liverpool fans think John Barnes is an actor

That's preposterous. He's clearly a rapper.

But your local team isn't always where your from. your local team is where you're currently living and if you really wanted to support your local team living in tallaght depending on where your from you would probably follow millmount tymon bawn newtown rangers etc etc ;)
    I suppose most people start supporting football when they are young, so the norm would be that they support the team from where they lived when they were young - e.g. where they are from. This is why, for example, Besiktas fans are predominantly from the south of Istanbul. If you showed up in Istanbul every week to watch Besiktas, theyd think you were a nutcase, and rightly so. Only here and in Asia really do people pick teams to 'support' in other countries.

If someone moved to a say, Sydney, lived there and put down roots, didnt have a team already, decided to take an interest in football its concievable they could become Sydney fans or whatever. No hassle.

Rovers simple sold me as the team Id like to support when I was a kid. I could have followed Millmount or UCD, or Newtown Rangers, but I didnt. I suppose its the same factor as some kids who followed Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal, they were the most glamorous (!) and successful team around me when I made the choice.

Not really I mean if you're from waterford and follow waterford united but move and to cabra and live there for a few years does your "support" "following" "fanship" move to dalymount? if it doesn't what was so important about starting to follow the local team in the first place?

I don't get your confusion at this. If someone supports their local team, it's because it's part of their community and they get to the games easier. That becomes their team. For life. So that no matter where they go in the world, they will always support that team. And when asked why they started supporting them, they will say because they were the local team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rovers simple sold me as the team Id like to support when I was a kid. I could have followed Millmount or UCD, or Newtown Rangers, but I didnt. I suppose its the same factor as some kids who followed Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal, they were the most glamorous (!) and successful team around me when I made the choice.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

BAR STOOL WEST BRIT OLE OLE!!!

...or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I watched all of Northern Spirit's home games when i was living in Neutral Bay.:)

Bray Wanderers are my home town club and i watch Aston Villa's progress with interest ever since 1992 as all the decent Irish players seemed to play for them (McGrath, townsend, houton, Cascarino, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Everton:
    Not because my dad stuffed a jersey on me when i was a day old.
    Not because my brother(Liverpool supporter) got me a football/jersey or bib.
    Not because we won a trophy and I skipped teams.
    Not because they had mega rich owners that can out bid anyone and pinch players that have pre signed with other clubs.
    Because my dad told me when I was at the age of noticing football he said choose a team and this team is the team you will follow for the rest of your life.
    So maybe they won the day I choose them,maybe they were on the TV,I cannot remember but to this day I am a proud Evertonian the Pride of Merseyside.As the true saying goes
    "Evertonians are BORN not MANUFACTURED"

St Pats.
    Local team. Season ticket holder for 10 years

Dave! wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

BAR STOOL WEST BRIT OLE OLE!!!

...or something...
    lol, maybe id have watched them on the telly instead of travelling all the way to Milltown, Tolka, Dalymount, Santry, the RDS or Inchicore if they were ever on it. Would have saved me old man a few bob in petrol anyway.
    "Evertonians are BORN [in Liverpool] not MANUFACTURED"
    FYP ;)

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is this really THE reason you started to support Celtic??

monkey9 it in fact is the reason i support them. having been a huge football fan and not supporting any team in particular until around 10 years ago i decided to read them after reading a book id borrowed out in the library. cant remember the name but id recommend a read of it to anyone. if i find the name or author ill post it. very similar book out now called 'celtic, an autobiography' by graham mc coll

• Advertisement

I don't get your confusion at this. If someone supports their local team, it's because it's part of their community and they get to the games easier. That becomes their team. For life. So that no matter where they go in the world, they will always support that team. And when asked why they started supporting them, they will say because they were the local team.

there's no confusion on my behalf.

watch this.

nipple: the only reason anyone should support a football team is if it's local any other reason to support a team is b0llox

me: not true.

see?

stovelid wrote: »
    How are they getting on in their battle to alleviate Glaswegian poverty these days?

not too bad at all stovelid, in fact better than ever. quote from official club website:

Over the past few years Celtic Charity Fund has been involved in more educational, community, and charitable work than at any time in the Club’s history. Such work is a measure of the Club’s commitment to the charitable principles which were the motivation for the Club’s founding father, Brother Walfrid.

monkey9 it in fact is the reason i support them. having been a huge football fan and not supporting any team in particular until around 10 years ago i decided to read them after reading a book id borrowed out in the library. cant remember the name but id recommend a read of it to anyone. if i find the name or author ill post it. very similar book out now called 'celtic, an autobiography' by graham mc coll

Fair enough!

watch this.

nipple: the only reason anyone should support a football team is if it's local any other reason to support a team is b0llox

see?

Yeah, but although i don't agree with that statement, i think it's obvious he's referring to the team that you support all your life. Not as a means of changing teams just because you move!

Yeah, but although i don't agree with that statement, i think it's obvious he's referring to the team that you support all your life. Not as a means of changing teams just because you move!

It has nothing to do with changing teams as you move I was just asking if he moved would he change to his NOW local team?

watch this.

see?
    What other valid reasons are there? You support the team from where you are from. If you move, you still support that team. If you have no team and you choose one where you have emigrated to, then you are still supporting your local team.

It has nothing to do with changing teams as you move I was just asking if he moved would he change to his NOW local team?

But why would he? He's got his team? Local, as in where you were when you started supporting that team. That's it now, for life! No matter where he goes

What other valid reasons are there? You support the team from where you are from. If you move, you still support that team. If you have no team and you choose one where you have emigrated to, then you are still supporting your local team.

because the last time I looked there was no rules on why or who you have to support.

the reason doesn't have to be validated by anyone but you.

The first team I seen in a stadium in Ireland was boh's but i lived in tallaght there was plenty of local teams I could of supported I was playing for one of them at the time!

but there was something about that match there was something about the ground the fans the atmosphere so i went back and now live beside dalymount so _now_ they're my local team

but to not follow/support a team just because you don't live in the same area is nonsense.

But why would he? He's got his team? Local, as in where you were when you started supporting that team. That's it now, for life! No matter where he goes

so the fact that there local doesn't matter! proving the bleedin point!

• Advertisement

because the last time I looked there was no rules on why or who you have to support.

the reason doesn't have to be validated by anyone but you.

The first team I seen in a stadium in Ireland was boh's but i lived in tallaght there was plenty of local teams I could of supported I was playing for one of them at the time!

but there was something about that match there was something about the ground the fans the atmosphere so i went back and now live beside dalymount so _now_ they're my local team

but to not follow/support a team just because you don't live in the same area is nonsense.

I agree with you on that one. I'm a northsider, born and bred, but support Pat's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Support Liverpool because Steve Heighway was my favourite player as a kid. And I admit, because it was very easy to support them back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

not too bad at all stovelid, in fact better than ever. quote from official club website:

Over the past few years Celtic Charity Fund has been involved in more educational, community, and charitable work than at any time in the Club’s history. Such work is a measure of the Club’s commitment to the charitable principles which were the motivation for the Club’s founding father, Brother Walfrid.
    If you are going totally on charitable status, and are completely agnostic as to location, I'm sure you could find worthier teams in poorer countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I agree with you on that one. I'm a northsider, born and bred, but support Pat's because Pats were winning leagues at the time

changed that for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

so the fact that there local doesn't matter! proving the bleedin point!

I still believe in geographic affinity to a team.

I already agreed that micro-locales don't matter to me, as in a Northsider supporting Rovers or somebody from Templelogue supporting Bohs, however, I think you should be from the same city/town as the team you support. Born there, brought up there, or at least have lived there a significant part of your life.

If the point of your argument is somebody who is born and bred from Tallaght supporting Bohs is the same thing as a Dubliner whose sole team is Liverpool, I don't agree. Best just to agree to differ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The vast majority of football clubs are open to all regardless of race, religion or nationality. What the hell are you on about? You supported them for other reasons or were ignorant of those reasons. Don't revise history with that rubbish please. Anyone who supported Celtic as a kid in my school did so for the same reasons they shouted "up the ra" and "prods out" :o

SectionF wrote: »
    If you are going totally on charitable status, and are completely agnostic as to location, I'm sure you could find worthier teams in poorer countries.

Or just get into Vincent De Paul or Barnardos and support another mega-team.

Quint wrote: »
    changed that for you :D

Ha!! Not at all! First match i ever went to was in the old Harolds Cross when Pat's were hammered by Dundalk. They were winning nothing then, i can assure you
    It's only cos my da is from Drimnagh and he used to go to Pat's games when he was a kid so he took me to a few when i was young!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I think parents know that if they drag their kids to a few games early enough, they'll support that team.

Quint wrote: »
    I think parents know that if they drag their kids to a few games early enough, they'll support that team.

I regret nothing!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement