Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you support your team?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah you must be right, thats how they won the Cup Winners Cup, and of course the FA Cup the year before to get them into that competition.

Never liked watching them. From the mid 90's on, horrible team, horrible club.
    It's ok to disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Geese that must have been a while ago, there hasnt been a U-14 for as long as i can remember!

I try support Athlone when i can, when there was a need for me i even was working in the bar (well working suggests i got paid :P) but its fairly hard to get excited by a team of players not from your town losing! The worst part is I reckon there is 5 or 6 players in the town that would every bit as good as the fellas they have. Would certainly drive up interest in the club.

I support Liverpool, cause my uncle supported them.

It was probably more of an ADSL team but I was convinced it was The Town :P

Nico was manager, I only had a few trainings/trials but never made it :(
    Although, strangely, after I was dropped he asked me to play for a local U16 side he coached too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Quint wrote: »
    I think parents know that if they drag their kids to a few games early enough, they'll support that team.

My dad used to bring me to Shels game when i was small.
    Since then i follow Pats . Shels are a rotten club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well, it's quite simple why I follow my team.

Born and bred in Ireland so it would have to be an English team. I first saw them on telly when I was young and compared to the local team (ha ha), my English side had better players, more success, better ground and more fans.

I follow the English national team.

Following your local side is for losers. :pac: Rule Britannia...... :cool:
    SectionF wrote: »
    Bohemian FC. Founded 1890.
    AC Milan. Founded 1899.

Yeh, but Bohs copied Milan's style of stripes. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Started supporting newcastle in 92 when they were flying in D1. Everyone in my class supported United/Pool/Arsenal so went for something different. Rollercoaster since. Heres hoping we have hit rock bottom now and things start to improve!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i forgot another reason i started following city is because all these LOI fans started telling me i should support an irish team, so i said fcuk off and went to maine road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

bigstar wrote: »
    i forgot another reason i started following city is because all these LOI fans started telling me i should support an irish team, so i said fcuk off and went to maine road
    How did you get there? You must have been younger than ten at the time, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭- bo -

Shelbourne, got supporting them through my Dad. Although they aren't my local team, they were my Dad's (when he moved to Dublin), he brought me to matches but over the past few seasons he's been unable to go to matches but well I ain't changing teams now. :D

Used to support Man Utd because my dad brought me up supporting them aswell, but I've drifted away from them over the last 5 years as I've gotten to know the joys and horrors of actually having a football team that you revolve your life around, and is much more than a team to me, more like a family.

Same story here except switch Shels for Bohs, was big into ManYoo as a young fella, went to Dalyer for the first time around 99/00 when Id have been 11/12. What really got me hooked was the night in Tolka in August 2000 when we knocked Aberdeen out of Europe. Tolka was packed and the atmosphere was amazing from both sets of fans. The most nail-biting match Ive ever witnessed along with this years cup final. The following season we won the cup semi in the last minute against Rovers in a packed Dalyer. All sort of hazy memories by now, special nights though :cool: My dad unfortunately doesnt go anymore, after getting me into them.
    Since then the Man United interest has gone to hell, I'll maybe watch them sometimes on TV. Was in Old Trafford for a Champions League match against Lyon last year (paid for...) and it just hasnt a patch on standing in Dalyer on a Friday night or away trips around the country... cant wait til 6th March...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I caught a game of Man United on TV when I was small and I thought the players were fantastic. Cantona, Giggs, Sharpe (or as I thought he was called initially Lee 'Shark'). I was hooked. Mark Hughes quickly became my favourite player. One of my favourite memories is my Dad taunting me about how Oldham were about to knock United out of the FA Cup and then Hughes grabbing a late equaliser. I don't think my Dad was happy about me supporting United as he's not a big football fan himself, and he was more partial to Arsenal, but when he knew I was not for turning my back on them he bought me lots of magazines and tapes on the team. I used to know this song inside out from one of the videos.

I think funnily enough I was probably into United more in those days than now. I still love football but these days there are plenty of things to distract me and take up my time, whereas back then it was like an obsession. I remember I spent most of my communion money on buying the entire Man United kit from shirt to socks. I thought I looked the business. I had Man United covers, a Fred the Red lunchbox, I was a United marketing guru's dream.

I do think that nostalgia matters a lot though and is important. I think it shapes how you perceive the team of the present. That's why United won't just be some English club to me, despite what certain die-hards over here would like me to believe. I feel a bond to the club that has been nurtured from a very young age. I carry great memories with me and one or two agonising ones from following the team as a young boy. That's why I follow and will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Because they're my home town team (Pats). Any other reason is boll0cks in my opinion

I've a serious problem with this.

Judging by all the thanks nipplenuts got for his comment the LOI brigade seem to agree with him or think he'd be a good pope or something.

So I grew up in Wexford long before Mick Wallace started Wexford youths. We didn't have a local team. I'd say the same is true of many other counties and towns in the country.

So if we don't come from Dublin, Athlone, Louth, Galway, Cork etc we actually don't have a home town team - Are you saying then that we don't have a good reason to support anyone?

In truth I think it's very simple for most of the LOI brigade because you all seem to be born and bred close to very successful LOI clubs. Just because the leaqgue is poor, that doesn't mean you're supporting poor teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gosplan wrote: »
    In truth I think it's very simple for most of the LOI brigade because you all seem to be born and bred close to very successful LOI clubs. Just because the leaqgue is poor, that doesn't mean you're supporting poor teams.

Nope, there is at least one Longford Town supporter I know of who was born and reared in Roscommon.

Des wrote: »
    Nope, there is at least one Longford Town supporter I know of who was born and reared in Roscommon.

Right, he can come forth and abuse me so :D. I'm not listening to the rest of ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I take the point that someone from the sticks has no local team, but a Dublin team would still be closer to you than one in the North of England. :pac:

Fair play to the people that come out and just say fuck it, I like United 'cos of the standard and success.

Instead of this the LOI are to blame for me supporting united because their fans are mean and they don't have a club near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

United - The headmaster at the old primary school was die-hard United. Basically drilled it into all the pupils to support United :pac:.
    Oh and Dustin the Turkey loved United as well. :p Then were was Eric Cantona.

AS Roma - Went over there a few years ago for a game. Great history and fans, the traditions associated with the club struck a huge chord with me as well. Big fan of Italian football in general anyway so it just stuck.

stovelid wrote: »
    Instead of this the LOI are to blame for me supporting united because their fans are mean and they don't have a club near me.

Not saying that. Just pointing out that the LOI people seemed to agree at the start of this thread that any other reason than the team being your HOME team is bollocks.

Ergo, I have only a bollocks reason for supporting any LOI team and I will never be a REAL LOI supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

bigstar wrote: »
    seen this on a city forum, basically what made you support your team?

mainly because my father does and the first match i ever went to was city v shamrock rovers at tolka park, cant remember who won though.

whos next?

I was at that match!! Remember Niall Quinn purposely chipping the ball at a rovers players arm looking for a Penno? Got a yellow for it!

Started supportin Chelsea in 88ish as they were promoted, they were my da's team aswell

**Actually scrap that, the rovers-City(manchester) match i saw was at RDS

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Because they're my home town team (Pats). Any other reason is boll0cks in my opinion
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Can we not turn this into a LOI vs Premiership Thread version 168.

Then ban arsehole comments like that from Nipplenuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

i think what nipplenuts says is right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dardoz wrote: »
    Then ban arsehole comments like that from Nipplenuts.

You're being overly sensitive. It's not a personal insult, or a troll.

Whether or not the rights and wrongs of saying it to Irish supporters here, a football supporter saying that real fans are from the city/town of the club they support is hardly unheard of on football forums in general.

You think that a lot of actual scousers or mancs don't feel the same way about Surrey/Asian/Irish fans?

Counter the claim if you think it's wrong. A lot of others have, and fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Why else are teams regionalised anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

because I love Kevin Keegan, because I hate Man Utd, and because Beardsley and Cole was the best partnership ever!!!

and because very few other team's colours, if you can call black and white colours, are as good as ours.

those were my reasons at the time so.

edit: I forgot to mention Ant and Dec, and Donna Air... you gotta love the Geordies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

I support Shelbourne because I went as a Kid to the games in the mid 90's with my Dad + Shero was a genius with a football at his feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCLYPvOY6s0
    + I love goin to the matches every week for the banter, much rather that than be an armchair supporter of a foreign league then complain that the LOI is rubbish.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I support United to annoy LoI fans :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

St Pats, because Richmonds 5 minutes away, I was hooked after my first game!

and, Watford cos I was born there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Support Rangers
    Reasons well growing up in Glasgow my old man used to take me to see Partick thistle, clyde, Rangers and that mob from Parkhead when I was about 9 I decided there was only one team for me and that was Rangers.
    will support them till they put me 6ft under :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mod note:

If users cannot discuss this topic without regurgitating tedious jokes about how "football" they are then I'd ask that they don't post on the thread to allow those who would like to discuss the topic in an adult manner to proceed.

Any off-topic posts from this point on will be deleted. Persistent off-topic posting will result in infractions/bans as necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Support Manchester United for a few reasons, i got introduced to them first since my father is from Manchester and my whole family is united mad, i have seen some memomerable games at old trafford and further away, the history and tradition at the club is amazing, and when i went to school everyone supported liverpool so that pretty much sealed the deal for life :p

I also support the Super Blues Waterford United and have been a season ticket holder for going on 8 years now.....reason? they are my local club!

Advertisement