Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Housing Estate - Completion delay

• 25-01-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

The Housing Estate that I live in was built by these guys. We bought the house this time last year (it's now 55k cheaper than what we paid for it but howisever). The road that my house is on consists of about 16 houses on either side of a road - a road that has yet to be tarmacked, so it's just a mud trail. The <snip> on charge of selling the houses in my area has promised us that the road will be fixed for the last year...next week he always says, but it never happens. There's a show house on our road and we now tell people to not buy here cause it's run by <snip>!!

Just a warning for any prospective buyers out there...i would ask for advice for what we could do...but I doubt there's very much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

The Housing Estate that I live in was built by these guys. We bought the house this time last year (it's now 55k cheaper than what we paid for it but howisever). The road that my house is on consists of about 16 houses on either side of a road - a road that has yet to be tarmacked, so it's just a mud trail. The <snip> on charge of selling the houses in my area has promised us that the road will be fixed for the last year...next week he always says, but it never happens. There's a show house on our road and we now tell people to not buy here cause it's run by <snip>!!

Just a warning for any prospective buyers out there...i would ask for advice for what we could do...but I doubt there's very much.

Where is it!

Most housing estates dont do that till towards the end of the estate being finished!

There are worse things happening on Building sites these days!

I reckon we should just all move to the South of France!

You would easily buy a half decent Castle of some sort in France for the prices that are being paid here!

I purposely didnt buy a house here due to the rip off ness of it all and the poor quality of the buildings, the cheapest materials are bought and the maximum profit is sought!

The road outside where we live is one of the worst roads i have EVER seen and there is a driving school a normal school an industrial estate and two new housing estates and the road is so bad its unbelieveable!

Plus theres always people dumping bins and rubbish on it! its depressing! we want 250,000 euro for this house eh no your alright ill keep my money till the ass falls outta the market!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Isnt the guy looking after that development(if its the one I'm thinking off) <snip>. They also built the estate that I am living in. We had a bit of hassle with him to finish off our estate also. I am living in the estate 11 years this year and there are still a number of issues on our estate and the development behind us, which they also built, that need attention. I have had local councillors on to them but to no avail.

Mind you, I did find Tomas Breathnach very helpful and he managed to get some good out of them. I'm sure with the local elections coming up it might be worth your while to get on to some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Abouttobebanned, you can't name and shame on boards. Legal action could be taken against them if any libellous comments are made.

I'm sorry, I know you're probably very frustrated but it can't be done. Feel free to have a good rant without naming names. We'll have to delete any comments that do and it will result in infractions/bans being handed out.

PM me if you have any questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

No probs Takola,

I've studied libel law and I presumed I'd (and boards) would be safe because I was communicating something that I had said to someone else.

The company are providing an inadequate service and people deserve to know. But I see your point.

One other quick point.

What's the difference between saying that a building company is not doing their job properly and saying that a restaurant's service is crap and the food is muck?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

One other quick point.

What's the difference between saying that a building company is not doing their job properly and saying that a restaurant's service is crap and the food is muck?

A good question which can be answered if you send takola a PM :P

Nah, ill ask the admins about this as there all unique situations that are a pain to call. I think your "gangsters" comment put a negative spin on the thread ;)

Anyway, lets not drag the thread down with a questions and answer session regarding Boards view on what's libel etc. Ill enquiry and send you a PM with the results when I have them. :)

The estate I live in was built 20sh years ago by a large development team. Its still "owned" by them and is not the responsibility of the council. The estate is not well kept, bar a private individual being hired by the estates committee to cut the grass.

In recent weeks the developers have came and replaced sections of the footpath and curb stones. I think this is being done as the estate needs to be in proper condition before it will be handed over to them. The estate committee have been asking the developers for a long time and its only now that things are starting to get done about it.

In a lot of newer estates developers are waiting until every development work is done before cleaning up the estate. Iv noticed it a lot in Dublin mainly but assuming its the same idea down here. Maybe setup an estate committee and try get things moving earlier?

A good point! (sorry takola)

Me and the next door neighbour are the committee haha

It's a shame though there's a new council estate around the corner and it looks pristine! I'm sure this company have done some great work in other estates and im sure they're extremely reputable but if they want to sell these houses (there are still a lot of houses not sold) they should really put down proper roads. We got carpet on the stairs and upstairs til we could afford to floor the whole house and because of the mucky, puddled roads, that carpet is now pretty much ruined.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its a problem with a lot of estates and not just the guy who built yours. A pain, I agree, but some estates are very very slow in moving. 20+ years to replace footpaths, remove non-existant driveways, fix curbstones and cleanup an estate?! Mad eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its the same all round the country but the Planning Authorities now have the power to refuse further permissions to developers who have failed to complete their previous developments.

It's frustrating though...they're all lovey lovey before they get their hands on the money...and then as soon as they have it...that's it, customer service ends.

• Advertisement

It's frustrating though...they're all lovey lovey before they get their hands on the money...and then as soon as they have it...that's it, customer service ends.

Unless you could do some sort of deal like you do with the house - only hand over the money until the estate is fully completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Did anyone ever wonder how people are advanced mortgages for the purchase of these properties when planning conditions have not been complied with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

When you bought your house, you agreed to a contract of terms and conditions and so did the builder. Check it out, see if completion dates are included.
    Just a note to other prospective buyers, if you are buying in an estate, make sure your contract with the builders/developers includes stuff like, when all works will be completed.....

if you have that.... then you can go to your solicitor and get something done about it...

Advertisement