Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking the test in a Tiptronic Automatic?

• 25-01-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Greetings my fellow learner drivers and wise sages full licencee holders!

My parents are more than likely buying a new car next week, the car in question will be a Tiptronic Automatic, now I don't know a whole lot about Tiptronic, but from what I gather of the car in question is that it can be used either fully as an automatic, or it be be used as a manual at will.

So, getting ahead here, but if I were to take my test in this car and did it in manual without the auto switched on, and saying I passed, would I still get my licence to drive a manual, I wouldn't be restricted to an automatic licence would I?

TIA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

You would be restricted to an auto licence I think, as your parents car has no clutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Greetings my fellow learner drivers and wise sages full licencee holders!

My parents are more than likely buying a new car next week, the car in question will be a Tiptronic Automatic, now I don't know a whole lot about Tiptronic, but from what I gather of the car in question is that it can be used either fully as an automatic, or it be be used as a manual at will.

So, getting ahead here, but if I were to take my test in this car and did it in manual without the auto switched on, and saying I passed, would I still get my licence to drive a manual, I wouldn't be restricted to an automatic licence would I?

TIA!
    If there is no clutch pedal but the gearstick has to be changed manually, it would still be considered an automatic for the purposed of testing/licencing and a successful candidate could only apply for a restricted '78' licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Well ya learn something new every day!

I never realised that automatic cars didn't have a clutch pedal, I just assumed with an auto that you didn't have to change between gears.

I just asked my parents there and they confirmed that the car has no clutch pedal, so yup, I'd be restricted to an auto licence if I did the test in that car alright.

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful as always :)

Wow.. no clutch.. geez, auto's must be way easier to drive than I originally thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Wow.. no clutch.. geez, auto's must be way easier to drive than I originally thought!

Like bumper cars :pac:

Its very tempting to drive auto when you start out.I wanted one in my first year of driving, I was so bad lol.

If your parents car is a modern auto you will love it, pass your test in an manual and get an auto.That was my plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It sounds like your parents are getting a Beamer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

rented an auto there a few weeks back driving down the coast in Australia, so much easier than a manual and especially with the long distance it was handy. Was the first time driving one so first hour was bit weird without a clutch but after that easy as pie.

Would consider getting one in the future when I buy a decent car but not sure, I do like driving a manual but the auto was just too easy to drive.

Advertisement