Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Kiev

• 25-01-2009 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a little help here.

I made myself some Chicken Kiev from scratch this evening, and they were delicious, if I do say so myself :)

However, something went a bit wrong for me, and I was wondering how to remedy it.

First off, I'll give the recipe.

2 Chicken Breasts
    40 grams butter
    2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
    2 teaspoons lemon rind
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    half a clove of garlic

flour
    wholemeal breadcrumbs
    egg and milk

Soften, but not melt, the butter and add the garlic, crushed, the lemon rind and juice and the parsley, then mould it into a rectangle, wrap in foil and stick in the fridge to re-harden. While this is setting you then...

...have to put the chicken breast in between two bits of cling film and whack the bejaysis out of them, until they are a quarter of an inch thick, flat.

When the butter mix has set (~ half an hour) you then remove it from the foil, section it into two equal parts and place it in the middle of the chicken breasts, then fold the chicken breasts around the butter mix, stick with cocktail sticks and put back into the fridge to settle, about 45mins to an hour for this.

take them back out, roll in flour til coated, dip in egg, and then in the breadcrumbs, then back into the fridge for 20 minutes.

Back out, back in the egg and back in the Breadcrumbs.

All grand up until now, but the next bit is where I faltered.

It said in the recipe to half fill a pan with oil, so I did that, heated it up, and put the two covered bits of chicken in, one at a time.

They looked cooked, all brown, if anything the breadcrumbs looked a bit overdone, nearly burnt, but when I sat down to eat them I discovered that the chicken toward the middle wasn't cooked at all, so I had to leave one of them, I bunged the other one in the oven for about fifteen more minutes, and it came out lovely, if not a tad burned on the outside.

I suppose the obvious conclusion is to leave them in the oil for less time until they "look" ok, then whack them in the oven for the rest of the time.

They held together perfectly, which I was impressed with, and I suppose the hot oil helped with the sealing of them.

Basically, I'm just looking for some tips with these, as I plan on serving them at a dinner I'm having ina few weeks.

Thanks

:)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

oh you lock my thread which had a reply and kept yours open with no replies

mod conspiracy, i tells you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

oh you lock my thread which had a reply and kept yours open with no replies

mod conspiracy, i tells you

Well, it has a reply now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

pink fluffy bunny, please don't argue moderation decision on a thread, please take any complaints to HelpDesk, thanks.

Des wrote: »
    pink fluffy bunny, please don't argue moderation decision on a thread, please take any complaints to HelpDesk, thanks.

er helllo..............scabby melted hand here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

would you not just bake them instead of frying?

• Advertisement

Swampy wrote: »
    would you not just bake them instead of frying?

well, i was wondering if was possible to bake them instead? as the our recipe said to fry them?

especially, as my OH dropped one of them in the hot oil and melted my hand quiet badly.

would you know how long to leave them in the oven for?

and what about the butter melting and running out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I assume briefly frying them helps get the breading crisp, as it could go quite soggy in the oven. Some butter will melt out, that's unavoidable, but you should just pour it back over them when they're cooked. Try only frying them briefly to seal the breadcrumbs, then pop them in the over for 30 minutes or so maybe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What Faith said, I'd only use a little oil in the pan just to brown the breadcrumbs not the 'half-full pan' that the recipe advises, no need to use that much.

I love a good coleslaw with a Kiev for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I love a good coleslaw with a Kiev for some reason.

Oh my god.

This is what was missing.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭No1XtinaFan

Ok, I'm a first time cook lol and I wanna try this for my bf coz he does all the cooking.

Anyway, just wondering does it have to be fresh parsley? I have dried parsley from a one of those schwartz jars and also do I need the lemon rind or is the lemon juice alone ok?

Oh also where do I get bread crumbs?:o sorry!!!!

• Advertisement

Ok, I'm a first time cook lol and I wanna try this for my bf coz he does all the cooking.

Anyway, just wondering does it have to be fresh parsley? I have dried parsley from a one of those schwartz jars and also do I need the lemon rind or is the lemon juice alone ok?

Oh also where do I get bread crumbs?:o sorry!!!!

I would recommend fresh parsely, as it has a completely different taste but i am sure the dried will be fine.

Yes, you need to buy a lemon, they were really easy to get hold of

bread crumbs - you get some stale bread and a grater and rub the bread up and down against the grate and you get bread crumbs or else just lash the bread in to a blender.

if you want to be really lazy you can buy bags of bread crumbs in the supermarket

I would recommend fresh parsely, as it has a completely different taste but i am sure the dried will be fine.

Yes, you need to buy a lemon, they were really easy to get hold of

bread crumbs - you get some stale bread and a grater and rub the bread up and down against the grate and you get bread crumbs or else just lash the bread in to a blender.

if you want to be really lazy you can buy bags of bread crumbs in the supermarket

Thanks, well I need to go out to get a lemon so I may try get the parsley than, can I get that in a supermarket too? I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot but I NEVER cook!! I'm just so bad at it and he's so good!!!! thanks again :o

Eh, is it ok to use self raising flour?? The strong flour i have is actually out of date by a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Eh, is it ok to use self raising flour?? The strong flour i have is actually out of date by a year!

I'd use any type of flour

dont worry about sell by dates, its all scam

and any flour will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

dont worry about sell by dates, its all scam

and any flour will do

'cept if your self raising flour looks like wholemeal, that will be the weevils. Not to worry, all adds to the flavour!

I used the self raising flour and OMG it was gorgeous :D
    I've got the cooking bug now!!! I keep looking up recipes and all saying I could do that we should cook this haha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I used the self raising flour and OMG it was gorgeous :D
    I've got the cooking bug now!!! I keep looking up recipes and all saying I could do that we should cook this haha!!

I think you've caught the bug alright :)

You should try a nice winter soup for the weather we're having

Maybe potato leek and blue cheese, sounds a bit odd but its fantastic. Rachel Allen's is lovely
    http://www.rachelallen.co.uk/recipes_october.html

You won't be dissapointed

Advertisement