Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken thighs 55minutes

• 25-01-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello, i preheated my oven to 200' and cooked some garlic bread prior to putting in the chicken thighs which I covered up with some foil for 45 minutes of the cooking time. I took the foil off for the last ten to fifteen minutes then allowed time for it to stand as to cool it a bit. I continued with the rest of the food i was preparing but now , which as usual, i am berating myself over the whole situation. It wouldn't matter if it was just me but the thing is that I always cook for someone else and in so doing i tend to worryt that i have caused some sort of food poisoining! any advice etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What's the question here?

Was the chicken cooked?

I'd imagine it was after 55 minutes.

just to add, the other night I cooked chicken mole, with thighs on the bone.

Browned them off in the pan for a few minutes, then put in the oven for 40 minutes at about 150/170 and they were cooked perfectly.

Nothing wrong with me that wasn't wrong before

*twitch*

*twitch*

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cailinban

yeah it was cooked, thighs have dark parts too so I suppose I'm just being a bit paranoid (A terrible thing instilled in me by my dear mother!) i just usually tend to be worried all the time when cooking for someone else. Had food poisoning once in my life, but that was from some dairy product failing me!

Am supposing the issue is with me being nervous somewhat. I love to cook but this nervousness really kills the vibe when I make something I am proud of!

cailinban wrote: »
    Am supposing the issue is with me being nervous somewhat. I love to cook but this nervousness really kills the vibe when I make something I am proud of!

heh, see the next thread down.

that's what this forum is for, asking questions about cooking, and finding answers.

but 55 minutes is well enough for chicken thighs.

They weren't a bit dry by any chance were they?

Welcome to Boards by the way :)

No you see what I did was I made sure that wouldn't happen, the trick is to put foil over the meat over and under, for the most part of the cooking, I learned from a commis chef (giving my utmost trust in the whole situation!) that by blasting the meat out with heat for the first few minutes actually helps and then at the end I removed the foil from the top for the last fifteen just to see how it would fare out. And it did, quite well. The meal was actually quite nice to be honest it's just I tend to worry about it. God help me when I'm a mother and have children to be cooking for! I was thinking about going to a course or something to help stop this nervousness. I am almost wretching with the thought that I've done it incorrectly. I followed the directions and I made sure to do it right.... But in the end I suppose even half an hour would have been enough time to cook them, seeing as they weren't frozen at all, I'd only got them in dunnes a half an hour previously, so no worries about defrosting or anything like that..... Oh the Sunday evening worries! Have a knot in my stomach now! Your chicken kievs however, in the strand below, sound like they were yummy!

thank you for the welcome by the way! Mucho gusto amigo :D

• Advertisement

No you see what I did was I made sure that wouldn't happen, the trick is to put foil over the meat over and under, for the most part of the cooking, I learned from a commis chef (giving my utmost trust in the whole situation!) that by blasting the meat out with heat for the first few minutes actually helps and then at the end I removed the foil from the top for the last fifteen just to see how it would fare out. And it did, quite well. The meal was actually quite nice to be honest it's just I tend to worry about it. God help me when I'm a mother and have children to be cooking for! I was thinking about going to a course or something to help stop this nervousness. I am almost wretching with the thought that I've done it incorrectly. I followed the directions and I made sure to do it right.... But in the end I suppose even half an hour would have been enough time to cook them, seeing as they weren't frozen at all, I'd only got them in dunnes a half an hour previously, so no worries about defrosting or anything like that..... Oh the Sunday evening worries! Have a knot in my stomach now!

lol, sounds like me when I started cooking. :)

Better to be safe than sorry though.

Stop worrying and enjoy your food, if you follow the instructions, then all should be well.
    Your chicken kievs however, in the strand below, sound like they were yummy!

yep, they were, they were like something you'd get in a restaurant :)

It's a pity my gf is a veggie, she doesn't get to taste my wonderful creations :D

Aaaaaw man! I don't know what I would do if my other half were a vegetarian! It's just unfair! Ah well she can get the colorful parts of your meals! I cooked a lot when I was younger it's just I spend a lot more time in the other half's place, far from mommy and all forms of cooking equipment i am used to! Getting used to a new kitchen exacerabates an already nervous mind I suppose!! Anyway, I did enjoy my dinner , or was trying to , there may be a book for this madness going on in my head about doing it all wrong!!! I have a course in the cook's academy for february but I may see if i can transfer it over to a basic form of cookery. I learned under the instruction of my mentor (this sounds insane but it's actually true): a wise middle aged German lady who taught me several different techniques of cooking (among other things that aimed at being a good domesticated young woman, although the drinking and late nights probably totally contradict who she wanted me to be!)

Back to the food element of things: I suppose if the chicken is cooked , is white, is not " elasticy" and it tastes alright, that it's done..... Even though I feel somewhat relaxed with the fact that I know I have done it well, I'll still worry this much and go to bed worrying that every churn of my stomach is for a bad reason!

I knew I should have ordered in!

Do you experiment with food much? Was the chicken kiev production a first time thing?

Was considering making some nice colcannon next time I make a roast dinner ( it will probably be a lamb roast in all honesty........!)

I knew I should have ordered in!
    :eek:

NO!

Stop ordering in, cooking your own food is

a. more fulfilling
    b. much more delicious
    c. cheaper
    Do you experiment with food much? Was the chicken kiev production a first time thing?
    I love being in the kitchen and cooking new stuff, I've stopped these last few months, with crazy work hours, but that's settled down again, so I'll start cooking again.

There's a great thread with lots of great suggestions, it's been going for ages, but is a great mine of information

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055068620
    Was considering making some nice colcannon next time I make a roast dinner ( it will probably be a lamb roast in all honesty........!)
    I love colcannon, made with Curly Kale :)

I got up to do a bit of washing up and had to sign back in again and I forgot my password!

Well, ordering in is not the ideal option these days, for all of the reasons you mentioned as well as the fact that it's just utterly bad food most of the time. I have yet to find a place that gives me food that I can be content with eating and content afterward!

Working long hours takes a lot out of your eating schedule, for me at my work place, the canteen closes early and then there's just drinks and chocolates machines to enjoy your break in!

Thoughts of work tomorrow.... why oh why did I mention that!

Advertisement