Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware : Interesting definition of "saleable condition" @ Debenhams

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was in a electrical department store in the states that had a returns policy, you could return goods within 30 days but were penalized for every item that was not included in the return including brochures, instructions and original packaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I was in a electrical department store in the states that had a returns policy, you could return goods within 30 days but were penalized for every item that was not included in the return including brochures, instructions and original packaging.

Could have understood this and I would have accepted a small charge if this had been said / offered - better than having it wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I queried how the plastic wrapper was such a key part of the sale as to prevent the return, FFS! No more, no less!
    Packaging and marketing/branding is a massive industry, obviously it is extremely important and is a key part of many sales.

I know people who save boxes for all sorts of stuff, they certainly would object if certain items were offered to them without packaging.

If aldi have stuff out of boxes people still might buy it if the bargain is good enough, but it might have sold a lot sooner if it was properly boxed.

If the person buying your gift had gone to debenhams and only saw one left with no packaging they might not have bought it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Cabaal wrote: »
    it was a present, as such it still comes back to Debenhams

Sorry, meant to put in a sarcasm smiley there. My point was that since the OP didn't buy it, they've no contract with Debenhams, so the only person they could really return it to was the gifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I thought it was obvious that "saleable" meant with the original packaging. I have on occasion bought shoes and have asked for no box, to be told that without the box they could not be returned, which is common sense if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I work in a bookshop, and our policy for returns or exchanges when it says in 'Saleable condition' is clean, spine of the book not broken, and no damages to pages. All pretty good I'd say.

However, having worked in a clothes shop aswell, I know where Debs is coming from on this one. We wouldn't have accepted the shirt back either if it wasn't in the packaging, as saleable condition here would apply to a product that was not opened, with all packaging intact.

Liam, to put it simply, say you got a mars bar from the present giver, you opened the wrapper, but then noticed it wasn't the 'king size' bar you always buy. Would you think the shop would take the bar back opened but not eaten? Technically the bar is still edible...but they wont take it back. (99% of shops wouldnt exchange it anyway even if it was unopened, because its a mars bar. I am just using this as the most simplistic example)

Fair point, Zhane, but it's not a perfect comparison.

Firstly, I did cover this earlier when I mentioned "actual", printed packaging, and the Mars bar would be closer (and even more extreme) than the jigsaw example

1) Actual, printed wrapper rather than just a plastic sleeve

While "packaging and marketing/branding is a massive industry", as rubadub said, this doesn't really apply to unbranded / unprinted plastic sleeves, and I'd almost bet on it that if something arrived in with the plastic sleeve torn that they'd find a replacement sleeve in order to sell it

2) Integrity of actual product damaged by opening it

Handling foodstuffs/edibles is completely different to handling clothes - if you're in the shop you can normally try stuff on, while handling an unwrapped scone or bun wouldn't (or at least, shouldn't) be tolerated. Underwear is another obvious exception

3) The Mars wrapper isn't resealable

You couldn't swap the sleeve or box from one to another and reclose it properly. I wouldn't expect a shop to take a hit from something that looked different or they had to sell at a loss; basically, there was no difference between resealing this one in the original packaging or with another plastic sleeve (from the replacement).

Anyways, old news now......I've calmed down a bit and have learned from it for future reference, but I do still reckon that they should explicitly clarify (or reword) what "goods in resaleable condition" means..... i.e. more than just "the goods".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

While "packaging and marketing/branding is a massive industry", as rubadub said, this doesn't really apply to unbranded / unprinted plastic sleeves, and I'd almost bet on it that if something arrived in with the plastic sleeve torn that they'd find a replacement sleeve in order to sell it

No, it would go back as being damaged, if possible. Or perhaps sold cheaper if it couldn't be sent back. Shops don't have spare shirt packaging lying around.

If a shirt is sold packaged, of course they want the packaging back too for it to be in a saleable condition. I don't see why you don't get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

While "packaging and marketing/branding is a massive industry", as rubadub said, this doesn't really apply to unbranded / unprinted plastic sleeves, and I'd almost bet on it that if something arrived in with the plastic sleeve torn that they'd find a replacement sleeve in order to sell it.
    Well if it was a completely generic blank sleeve I would go down to guineys and get a €3 shirt and use its package, or get some other shirt in another shop you do want, even get one in Debenhams, at least it won't go to waste.
    Could have understood this and I would have accepted a small charge if this had been said / offered - better than having it wasted
    There is your small charge (cheapo shirt or other item in a similar package) and no waste
    but I do still reckon that they should explicitly clarify (or reword) what "goods in resaleable condition" means..... i.e. more than just "the goods".
    To me it means they should be as sold, including everything, I think some would still want tags on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

but I do still reckon that they should explicitly clarify (or reword) what "goods in resaleable condition" means..... i.e. more than just "the goods".

in fairness liam have you not got the idea at this stage?

resaleable condition simply means "the goods can be resold in the condition in which they are being returned". if they have to search out a plastic sleeve to put on the shirt (which won't look as new and will most likely mean the shirt will be sold at a discount) or, far more likely, they have to send it back to the manufacturer to be repackaged, then it's not resaleable. It's really not that complicated, it's just that you don't like the very simple actual definition of the phrase because it prevented you from returning goods which were not in a resaleable condition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Mate at this point you really have to let it go...

5 pages on and maybe 1 person agrees with you?

Can't you just accept your definition of saleable condition is actually the interesting one and that maybe Debenhams have gotten it right.

You are entitled to your view and by all means argue your point but just know this. The lads in Debenhams must have shat themselves laughing after you picked up your toys and left the store because God knows I am.

You are so so wrong.

However they gave it to you they should get it back... end of story, dont argue that its simple retail and consumer rules... let it go buddy..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

"Letter of the law", maybe......good customer service and PR ? Absolutely not!

Do you actually know what 'letter of the law' means? Cos it doesn't apply at all in this sense, considering you have no rights to return it at all.

Pythia wrote: »
    Do you actually know what 'letter of the law' means? Cos it doesn't apply at all in this sense, considering you have no rights to return it at all.

Many thanks for the patronising comment......especially since my use of that phrase referred to the fact that they were within their rights.....:rolleyes:

Going to stop replying to this thread now.....was being polite and replying where people asked questions, but all this is resulting in is bumping the thread back into life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Many thanks for the patronising comment......especially since my use of that phrase referred to the fact that they were within their rights.....:rolleyes:

Going to stop replying to this thread now.....was being polite and replying where people asked questions, but all this is resulting in is bumping the thread back into life.

i think it'll die when you openly admit that they did absolutely nothing wrong and "good customer service" does not mean they should take the loss of your mistake :P

Advertisement