Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interference on LW

• 25-01-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I listen to BBC Radio 4 LW regularly, but the last few days it has been impossible to listen to because of strong interference on the LW band. Is anyone else experiencing this? I am in County Wexford.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Is this just listening at home or is it while driving?
    The most likely culprit is a computer. Maybe you or a neighbour has recently purchased a new one. If this is the case, turn it off AND unplug it from the mains. I don't think its a widespread problem as I have no problem with 198 kHz here.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

It is a problem at home and in the garden, but it not likely to be the computers in the house as nothing has changed with them recently. The dishwasher (which usually causes a problem) is off, the cordless phones have not changed, the wireless router is still on the same frequency, the baby monitor is not the problem either... no new electric fences in the area... I am running out of ideas. I might take a walk with the radio later today and see if the reception is further afield... My sanity relies on my regular doses of Gardeners Question Time, I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue, The Afternoon Play and the rest. I hope I can sort it out.

Ps. I didn't know Middle Earth was in Ireland... it explains a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Almost anything electrical can cause interference. Dimmer switches, CFL light bulbs, Thermostats (immersion heater), Powerline network adaptors etc.
    Is there an ESB high voltage pylon nearby? I think they transmit data over these around LW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have this problem, its not an issue as I have FM on NTL and the internet but LW at around the 200 Khz where I live is poor 90% of the time. I suspect some local companys power supply/use.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
    We have no new electrical devices, lightbulbs, etc. And the ESB is unlikely to improve our supply with a new transformer considering that we live 3 miles beyond where you can't get for thistles.
    I have narrowed the source of the problem to being either in our house or our immediate neighbours. When the weather is better I will take a wander out with my radio and see if I can pin point it a little better.

Two things are driving me nuts though; the fact that I haven't been able to suss out the source of the problem, and that my husband was not the least bit interested in helping me until I pointed out that it would affect the footie on Radio 5 live. (Heavens, I sound like a stereo-type (excuse the pun)).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Porrohman

I'm a regular listener too and the interference has been driving me mad for the last week or so. I figure it must be to do with the weather or atmospherics. I don't think there's much can be done about it anyway.

Advertisement