Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ardkeen

• 25-01-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭

Heard their reducing their opening hours, the petrol station now closes at midnight. The worse news is that theres going to be job losses:(

Buddy of mine who works there told me their down on profits.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was told about this a few months ago. Its being applied to pretty much all Tescos. There was rumours that the Tesco in Tramore was given restricted opening hours by the council when permission was given to their development but this was dismissed (apparently they rarely launch 24hour stores immediately) and I was reliably informed most Tescos are scaling back and wont be 24hrs any more.

As for profits.. its quiet enough after midnight but in general they haven't suffered that much due to the recession. There well able for the market and I cant seem them departing especially considering there looking to build a petrol station in Tramore and a new Tesco in Waterford.

Ardkeen station has not been 24hours for a month or two now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ardkeen Tesco is just constantly busy during the day though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ardkeen Tesco is just constantly busy during the day though.

One of its busiest stores in Waterford id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sully wrote: »
    One of its busiest stores in Waterford id say.

In Ireland I'd say. Closing between 12 and 6 at night wouldn't harm them.
    I couldn't see them making a profit between them hours anyway.

JPA wrote: »
    In Ireland I'd say. Closing between 12 and 6 at night wouldn't harm them.
    I couldn't see them making a profit between them hours anyway.

6 at night? God no, they still seem to have a lot of people in there at 10pm! Id say it could operate the same hours as the petrol station. 12-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sully wrote: »
    6 at night? God no, they still seem to have a lot of people in there at 10pm! Id say it could operate the same hours as the petrol station. 12-6

What? Obviously I meant midnight to 6 AM!

JPA wrote: »
    What? Obviously I meant midnight to 6 AM!

My bad :p

*walks away in embarrassment :o*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Night time Operating Costs wouldn't be all that different if they closed their doors to the public. If they did close at say midnight, they'd still need skeleton staff inside including security and personnel to stock the shelves. Light and Heat would be a big expense, but I've noticed that they keep all their lights on even in their stores that don't open 24/7! Now they could very well opt to restock during normal business hours but this would be a step backwards for them and have a negative impact on the overall shopping experience as customers would not only have to deal with sparsely populated shelves, but also have bulky stock cages littering the aisles and causing congestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

AdMMM wrote: »
    Night time Operating Costs wouldn't be all that different if they closed their doors to the public. If they did close at say midnight, they'd still need skeleton staff inside including security and personnel to stock the shelves. Light and Heat would be a big expense, but I've noticed that they keep all their lights on even in their stores that don't open 24/7! Now they could very well opt to restock during normal business hours but this would be a step backwards for them and have a negative impact on the overall shopping experience as customers would not only have to deal with sparsely populated shelves, but also have bulky stock cages littering the aisles and causing congestion.

Good point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

At the end of the day, having at least one shop open for 24hrs in the city is a must. There should be a 24hr Spar/Centra open in the city centre as well.

I would say that with Tesco Ardkeen being the only shop open in a catchment of a hundred thousand people (people who would realistically drive to it) it probably makes more than people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm Personally not a fan of shopping in Tesco (Part My own crazy reasoning of buying irish at the moment),

Although TBF the shop out that way seems to be very well stocked and looked after compared to say the one on Paddy Browne's road.

Ive only ever gone in there pissed after say time the place stops serving drink and bought items ranging from Butter to Oven Mitts.

AFAIK its been a couple of years since I was worked in the that side of the industry alot of the bigger stores do theit stocking over a night shift so I really couldn't see a major difference between opening and closing costs.

I suppose maybe Insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i went in there meself one morning on the way to work at 5 in the morning when i used live in viewmount and all there was in there at that timer were tyhe staff stocking the shelves and only self service check outs open! some the staff looked at me in shock to see someone in buying something at that hour! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

I used to shop in there quiet a lot but I have started going to aldi now as I have halved my food bill from 120 to 60. Tesco's is good for somerthings but not for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

merlante wrote: »
    At the end of the day, having at least one shop open for 24hrs in the city is a must. There should be a 24hr Spar/Centra open in the city centre as well.

Is the Centre beside Revolution not 24 hours, or is that just weekends?

Re: Tesco. Opening overnight would not be hugely costly to them, as mentioned earlier. If the profits are down in the Ardkeen store, I would imagine it's because they have been slashing prices to keep up with competitors. Their profit margins are down, but I wouldn't imagine their sales figures are down by that much.

djsupreme wrote: »
    Is the Centre beside Revolution not 24 hours, or is that just weekends?

It's not 24hr, just late. I think maybe it's midnight on weekdays and 3pm on weekends, or something like that. Which is good, and a lot better than we had before, but I think for certain types of medication, emergency items, etc., there should be at least one place where people can go all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

I agree with you. A city the size of Waterford should have a 24 hour convenience store. I hate going to the garage counters where you have to ask them to walk around the store and get you items whilst an impatient queue forms behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

djsupreme wrote: »
    I agree with you. A city the size of Waterford should have a 24 hour convenience store.

It had one. A 24-hour convenience store on the corner of Anne St and Thomas St. Closed down about a year ago. No business I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

benifa wrote: »
    It had one. A 24-hour convenience store on the corner of Anne St and Thomas St. Closed down about a year ago. No business I think.

On the corner of Anne St and Thomas St? That would be an inconvenience store then!

A 24hr store would need to be easily accessible to generate any business after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

theres 3 24 hour garages on the cork road if you need them.

ive often been in tesco ardkeen at 3-4am and its just full of staff packing shelves with the odd 1 or 2 people in there

as mentioned already, it doesnt cost much more to have it open them hours

if they close at night does that mean its gonna be a serious mess during the day when there repacking the stock??

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

chrism2007 wrote: »
    theres 3 24 hour garages on the cork road if you need them

Where?

• Advertisement

Topaz on Manor St is 24h as is Maxol out the Cork Road. Not sure of a third!

theres two topaz and a maxol within half a mile of each other.

a topaz across from waterford crystal, maxol 30 second walk away on opposite side and a topaz across from the college street campus.

The one across the road from Maxol doesn't open 24 hours anymore. I remember seeing a notice saying they now close at 11pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Lads, the fact of the matter is that tesco provides a great service at a very reasonable price.

And have you seen how busy i gets there? :eek::eek::eek:

I slam afew clams for the juice that they produce!

AdMMM wrote: »
    The one across the road from Maxol doesn't open 24 hours anymore. I remember seeing a notice saying they now close at 11pm

ah right. well two is plenty anyway. the better ones are still open.

The manor st topaz is the only one open 24hours. The one in Ardkeen closes early (and its usually cheaper for petrol btw) for a good while now and the one on Cork Road has only closed over the last few months. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What time does the Tesco petrol station open in the morning now? I need to get petrol in the morning before my usual place opens. If Tesco aren't open I'll go to Topaz 24-hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

6am-12am, iirc.

benifa wrote: »

Also the fact that if you don't live in the area you probably didn't know about it. I mean it's great for the area, which is fairly well populated, but people from outside were not likely to find it at random at 3 o clock in the morning. Advertising would have helped a lot I'd say. I only heard about it about 6 months ago and it was probably closed by then.

• Advertisement

gscully wrote: »
    On the corner of Anne St and Thomas St? That would be an inconvenience store then!

It would have been in possibly the most densely populated part of the city...

Advertisement