Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ardkeen

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I agree, yeh. If it's the only place that's open all through the night, and it's right in the centre (-ish) of Waterford, you'd think that, with a bit of advertising and public awareness, it'd have had the monopoly.

So either people didn't know about it, or they did know about it but simply didn't use it (or at least, not enough people used it to make it worth keeping open).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

is it just me or was that in a fairly dodgy area. it would have been a lot better if it was up were the off license is beside the forum. parking wise etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ahyeah

Friends of mine were living in Wellington Court apts when that 24hr on Thomas St. was open, we used be in there the whole time when we were on the session. The lads were sound out, it used be busy enough as well, at all hours.
    As someone said though, it's a shady enough area and we used see some rough looking heads hanging about there. Loads of Eastern European chaps that looked like they'd ate ya without salt!

The Maxol on the Cork road is yer only man, 24 hour and they keep on making fresh deli stuff all night, to look after tha taxi drivers. Can't beat a couple of jambons at 3 in the morning when yer starved.

I was told that the garage at Tesco closed after 12 because there were a lot of cars with foreign, mainly English reg's filling up and then driving off, and they couldn't be tracked down then cos it wasn't an Irish reg.
    I'm not swearing by that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

ahyeah wrote: »
    I was told that the garage at Tesco closed after 12 because there were a lot of cars with foreign, mainly English reg's filling up and then driving off, and they couldn't be tracked down then cos it wasn't an Irish reg.

What's the difference? I mean, surely drive-offs can occur in the day time equally as easy as they can at night.. Perhaps even more easily too, since more cars on the road mean easier to blend in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

chrism2007 wrote: »
    is it just me or was that in a fairly dodgy area. it would have been a lot better if it was up were the off license is beside the forum. parking wise etc...

It's not dodgy, just poorly lit and substantially populated by eastern europeans. Maybe that's scary for people... And some of them would be fairly well built because a fair few seem to be into their weights, hence the supplements shop down there. Never seen any trouble down there personally on my frequent treks to and from Downses.

But yeah, if it was on Ballybricken or Michael st., everyone would have found out about it. I never knew it existed and I live within walking distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ahyeah

benifa wrote: »
    What's the difference? I mean, surely drive-offs can occur in the day time equally as easy as they can at night.. Perhaps even more easily too, since more cars on the road mean easier to blend in?

I dunno...I already said I wasn't swearing by it, just passing on what I was told.

I found that area down by the 24 hour dodgy enough. Saw a couple of fights, including a big one in the middle of the street at 4 o clock in the day Paddy's Day 2007, and a fella getting sparked out with a dig another time. Doesn't sound like much but it that was all in a short space of time, just at that junction outside the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

ahyeah wrote: »
    Friends of mine were living in Wellington Court apts when that 24hr on Thomas St. was open, we used be in there the whole time when we were on the session. The lads were sound out, it used be busy enough as well, at all hours.
    As someone said though, it's a shady enough area and we used see some rough looking heads hanging about there. Loads of Eastern European chaps that looked like they'd ate ya without salt!

The Maxol on the Cork road is yer only man, 24 hour and they keep on making fresh deli stuff all night, to look after tha taxi drivers. Can't beat a couple of jambons at 3 in the morning when yer starved.

No that's not the reason it is closed between 12am and 6am.
    Just to save payroll I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Well I was there late tonight. Left Cork at 23:00 so it was after midnight when I was in there so they've not changed the opening hours of the shopping centre yet anyway. I know the garage has reduced its hours alright. Happened on like the 27th of December or something.

I always use Tesco at mad hours. It's handy to realise you want something and be able to spin over the road and get it.

Hope they don't shut the shopping centre part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Superquinn in Kilbarry have reduced their opening times too. It's 8am to 9pm Mon - Wed, 8am to 10pm Thus & Fri, 8am to 8pm Sat and 10am to 6pm on Sun.

Very inconvenient. I used to call in for a bit of shopping when I finish college at 10. :mad:

Advertisement