Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio career

• 26-01-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey. I'm thinking about a career in radio and I'm just wondering if I could get some do's and don'ts from people. and what would the content of my demo cd be? I would love to be like Aidan Leonard or Damian Farrelly. Anyone really except Ruth Scott and Nikki Hayes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Pat2107 wrote: »
    Hey. I'm thinking about a career in radio and I'm just wondering if I could get some do's and don'ts from people. and what would the content of my demo cd be? I would love to be like Aidan Leonard or Damian Farrelly. Anyone really except Ruth Scott and Nikki Hayes

First bit of advise is not to be like anyone else as that will get you a career in sending demo tapes by the ton with no return. Be yourself that is the most important thing. Second thing hound and hound radio stations becuase they hate a pain in the ass who won't take no for an answer. The voice isn't the number 1 priority these days more so the paper. If you have a Masters in how to get a point across in 45 seconds run by someone who has connections within Irish Radio that'll be a start. You won't get anywhere these days unless you have a inside track ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Pat2107 wrote: »
    I would love to be like Aidan Leonard or Damian Farrelly. Anyone really except Ruth Scott and Nikki Hayes

Unless your considering a sex change, its unlikely you will be like 2 of those mentioned.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Unless your considering a sex change, its unlikely you will be like 2 of those mentioned.:D

Another trademark post from Fuzzy Clam's book of helpful advice.

OP, if you do a search in this forum, there are a couple of decent older threads on the subject. Best of luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Glad to see you've crawled out from under your rock again :eek: I haven't seen too many helpful posts here from you recently.
    Is a poster expected to do a search for age old posts every time they ask a question?:confused:
    If thats the case, then there's little point in these boards being maintained as most questions have been asked before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

bbability wrote: »
    The voice isn't the number 1 priority these days more so the paper.

Dunno where this gem came from but if I get a demo and the voice is not a runner I couldn't care less what degree you have !

OP be yourself it's no harm listening to DJs on the radio but try take some positives from their style and use it in your own slighty different way.

Demo should just be your voice and between 2.30-3 minutes long. DO NOT include songs - your CD will be f00ked in the bin.

If you're sending to one particular station it might be nice to include a link or two based on their style/format.

If you want to PM me I will listen to your demo and point you in right direction once you have the finished product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Glad to see you've crawled out from under your rock again

lads - drop it.

Also this:
    MarkN wrote: »
    Dunno where this gem came from but if I get a demo and the voice is not a runner I couldn't care less what degree you have !
    is likely to make people defensive.

this:
    MarkN wrote: »
    well, if I get a demo and the voice is not a runner I couldn't care less what degree you have !
    is not.
    just pointing that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Hello OP...

get out there and do it.. simple as that!
    if you havent yet worked on air before like in collage or something then there are plenty of Temp and community stations that are easier to get a gig on till you find your form.. we all have to start somewhere, while i could recommend a start on Pirate radio a lot of people here might take a dim view of that and thats fair enough everyone is entitled to their own opinions.. however lets not forget the fact that many of the big names in the irish scene began their carriers on unlicensed stations.. that being said you may find it difficult to shake the fact that you participated in a pirate operation when going for a legit gig.. a great place to get information is from Brian McColl over at http://www.bmacmedia.com/ and sign up to his newsletter i have met very few people in the industry as passionate as him about radio and he has helped me out via email a few times when i was ready to pack it in!!

hope this helps you man and please do follow up with us as to how your getting on when you get yer first gig!!

All the best

H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Be willing to give it your all. Some of them started on pirate radio stations...But it is now even easier for the unknown in a way because you can create your own radio shows with a lot less equipment. WinAmp for example lists loads of radio stations...

Volunteer for radio stations if possible. Some hospitals have radio stations and take on people. It's all about getting yourself known, having a track record and proof of your work.

🤪

Advertisement