Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st birthday celebration ideas?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone in Parenting would have any nice suggestions for a 1st birthday celebration for my little one who will turn one in April? His family is small, dysfunctional and involves geographically and legally separated warring grandparents... my parents aren't alive and my siblings and many and equally mad! She attends a creche with two other babies so we were thinking of inviting some friends and the other babies and their parents from the creche. But where? Ideas anyone?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hey TargetWidow,

Congrats, your wee one is nearly a whole year old.. time flies!

First birthdays are more for the parents than the baby, so you don't have to do anything wild. We had a party in the house which I documented with loads and loads of pictures and video clips - just so I have pics to show Rhiannon when she's older. Babies of a year old can get very overwhelmed by a house thats suddenly full of lots of people and noise. The idea of inviting the kids from creche that she'll know is a good idea, but don't ask too many, my daughter just couldn't deal with all the people that showed up and spent a lot of the day with a wobbly lip and teary eyes :(

A cake, one candle and a camera + some parents and a small group of recognisable faces is all you need. Don't be adding warring grandparents into the mix, babies are good at picking up on bad vibes!

I'd leave going out for a party until they're older and can appreciate it more, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sassa

We just had a party at home for our eldest daughter when she turned one with a few friends that had kids of their own. The only problem with having lots of people there is they tend to get out of sorts and unsettled for the day. bad experience with this on my niece's first birthday her parents invited the world and his wife and the poor child spent her first birthday cranky and crying all day. We have the same situation in regards to warring grandparents so arranged something else on different days to celebrate with them. My daughter thinks its great big celebrations (christmas etc ) go on for about 3 days for her :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Brilliant idea Sassa..... two parties with just the separate grandparents! That's what I think we'll do. We may even make it an excuse to travel up to her Grandad in Dublin so that Mammy can get some much needed retail therapy, and we can take her for her first trip to the zoo while there. Thanks again Sassa.;)

Advertisement